Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone who has been called by admissions not received anything in the mail? I received a call on 10/5 but haven't received anything in the mail :(

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the insight! Can you share anything else about your app/experience that may have resulted in the alternate list vs. rejection?

I'd love to share my thoughts! IMO my interview day went as smooth as I could've hoped. I believed I was strong in both panel interview and MMI sections so what it boils down to is this:

1. I don't have any experience shadowing a DO.
2. The fact that I applied to x5 more MD than DO may have played a part as well -__-

Regardless honesty is the only way to go!

Post-secondary rejection today via email. Im actually not as disappointed as I thought I would be. The more I read about Western, the worse feelings I have about the school.

Here are some facts about Western. They are based on threads here and discussions Ive had with alumni.
-High tuition despite a large class and large endowment
-High COL area despite being in a very ghetto part of Pomona. The cheapest studio around Western is $1,100/month. The Daumier apartments recommended by Western are much more expensive.
-Lots of unnecessary time spent on OMM (twice as much as most other COMs),
-Facilities that are average (the campus is literally a converted strip mall),
Crowded clinical sites. Western students rotate at hospitals like ARMC with students from 2 other schools (UCR and LLU)
-MAJOR problems with the curriculum. This really is a deal killer for me. Western suffers from teachers who cant teach and are unavailable to help because they are part-time, mandatory group sessions with students from other colleges that are not helpful and take time away from actual studying. There is lots of self study in year 2 (because teachers cant teach) and youll be sharing classes with pod students who pay much lower tuition.

May the odds in your favor yall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who has been called by admissions not received anything in the mail? I received a call on 10/5 but haven't received anything in the mail :(

Did you call them back? Two days after my call I received a letter with all the instructions.

Did you call them back? Two days after my call I received a letter with all the instructions.

Yeah I gave them a call and they said they mailed out acceptances last Thursday so if it doesn't come by tomorrow to call back and they'll resend it

Just work very hard, and show your dedication to medicine. I'm sure all adcoms will see what you've been doing and will appreciate it. Many of them reward reinvention.

Sorry to butt in, but totally agree! I retook about a year's worth of classes (all pre-reqs) because my undergrad career, especially my first and second years, was a hot mess. Thanks to AACOMAS grade replacement, my GPA shot up to being competitive. Could have done better in my retakes (a lot of B's), but I'm sure adcoms will see my dedication in going into medicine as I spent a whole year taking classes after I graduated. I'm hoping some DO schools will show me some love. Good luck to anyone in the same boat and everyone else applying this cycle :)

Reactions: 1 user
Post-secondary rejection today via email. Im actually not as disappointed as I thought I would be. The more I read about Western, the worse feelings I have about the school.

Here are some facts about Western. They are based on threads here and discussions Ive had with alumni.
-High tuition despite a large class and large endowment
-High COL area despite being in a very ghetto part of Pomona. The cheapest studio around Western is $1,100/month. The Daumier apartments recommended by Western are much more expensive.
-Lots of unnecessary time spent on OMM (twice as much as most other COMs),
-Facilities that are average (the campus is literally a converted strip mall),
Crowded clinical sites. Western students rotate at hospitals like ARMC with students from 2 other schools (UCR and LLU)
-MAJOR problems with the curriculum. This really is a deal killer for me. Western suffers from teachers who cant teach and are unavailable to help because they are part-time, mandatory group sessions with students from other colleges that are not helpful and take time away from actual studying. There is lots of self study in year 2 (because teachers cant teach) and youll be sharing classes with pod students who pay much lower tuition.

May the odds in your favor yall.

lol, "facts"

goodluck elsewhere dude.

Reactions: 6 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Anyone from 10/8 hear back yet? The anxiety and suspense is a real deal killer! (anybody catch that...?)

Last edited:
How long did it take from application processed & materials received ---> interview/rejection pre-interview?

Anyone from 10/8 hear back yet? The anxiety and suspense is a real deal killer! (anybody catch that...?)

n=1, but I haven't heard anything either. I'm hoping we'll hear something after the adcoms meet on Thursday, but meanwhile I'm doing my best to keep my mind occupied lol

How long did it take from application processed & materials received ---> interview/rejection pre-interview?

Again, n=1, but I was complete 8/10 and received an II on 8/25.

for those of you who have interviewed at both lebanon and pomona, how would you say the interviews between both compared? Would you say the scenarios used were similar?

Yeah, I'm assuming some will hear back this Thursday, and others next week. Seems like they took 2 weeks to get through all of the 9/24 interviews/decisions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rec'd complete email today.
Sub'd 9/29, Complete 10/20 via email.

Also, does anyone know if the interviews are at the beginning or the end of the day?

@HSR - would you share? ty

Saw that 909 area code and almost had a heart attack... just got my acceptance call!

Edit: I interviewed 10/8 and was in the red group! ^^

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Missed a call from Pomona

Reactions: 2 users
I missed a call too! Right at 7:15 now I have to wait the whole night to find out... Either really bad or really good I guess?

Got the call earlier as well.... Accepted!!!! :') interviewed 10/8! Representing blue team!

Reactions: 5 users
No call here... wish I didn't check this thread today. Hopefully I'm not fully reviewed yet.

But congrats to all the acceptances!

Also, does anyone know if the interviews are at the beginning or the end of the day?

@HSR - would you share? ty

Yup, before any of the informational panels and stuff. Basically breakfast/ice-breakers, then straight into interviews. Either MMI, panels, or (very very) short essay

No call here... wish I didn't check this thread today. Hopefully I'm not fully reviewed yet.

But congrats to all the acceptances!

Yup, before any of the informational panels and stuff. Basically breakfast/ice-breakers, then straight into interviews. Either MMI, panels, or (very very) short essay

Thank you! Any advice for the essay? Like what sort of prep is required? is it an ethical type question or something?

Saw that 909 area code and almost had a heart attack... just got my acceptance call!

Edit: I interviewed 10/8 and was in the red group! ^^

Red group here too!, missed the call though. Hopefully they hit me back tomorrow since they didn't leave a voicemail.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted!! Reppin' the Blue Team on 10/8 so excited to stay in SoCal =D

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed 10/8 from the Green team. No call yet, but fingers crossed that I hear back soon :)

Also green team. Speculation: but maybe they didn't get to us yet. Congrats everyone

Anyone from the yellow team who interviewed on 10/8 get an acceptance call? Seems like yellow and green teams haven't gotten any love yet lol

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but were you in the green group? I'm not sure if I'm just misinterpreting your name or actually know who you are lol.

Red group here. Anxiously waiting to hear back.

For all groups, what was the proportion of OOS to IS interviewees?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but were you in the green group? I'm not sure if I'm just misinterpreting your name or actually know who you are lol.
Green group, yup! How did you know?

II today in the morning! Pretty stoked, I live in OC so I'd love to stay in the area.

I got an acceptance call last night!! Green group interviewed 10/8

Reactions: 4 users
II today in the morning! Pretty stoked, I live in OC so I'd love to stay in the area.
When were you complete if you dont mind me asking? Still playing the waiting game over here :/

How do I know if I am complete? Where can I make sure? the portal is non specific

I've been checking out the local real estate and the prices for 1bd/1br are absopooply horrendous. It's more expensive than WestLA in some scenarios. However, for 2+bd I've found a few sweet deals.

TLDR; Looking for roommate.

Also reppin' the green group with an acceptance!

Reactions: 3 users
I just realized who this is too LOL. I was in your ice breaker group. http://yonanas.com/

Did y'all get acceptances the same day others got the calls or later?
Based on your username, I know EXACTLY who you are hahaha congrats!!!

Haha I realized after I made it that it's a bit obvious oops. And thanks!!! I got a call at 7pm on Tuesday night, hope you hear some good news soon!