Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Please limit each of your answers in this section to 1650 characters or less.

While shadowing an osteopathic physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?

What was your most memorable community service activity and how did it impact you?

What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP – Pomona Campus?

Describe why you see yourself as a great “fit” for our school.

Is there anything in your application that you would like to explain to the Admissions Committee?

Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Do these Western University Schools care if I used some of the same answers for the Lebanon and Pomona essay questions? It was hard not to and it does say something about not using the same answers, which is annoying.
I am going to use the same answers if it answers the questions asked. They can't expect to get different responses for the same questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

While shadowing an osteopathic physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?

What was your most memorable community service activity and how did it impact you?

What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP – Pomona Campus?

Is there anything in your application that you would like to explain to the Admissions Committee?

Thanks for posting these!

Thank you for sharing your stats with us. From what I see, they are more or less the same as my stats so hopefully I get the invite soon.

Got a secondary. 28 mcat 3.68 sGPA, TX resident

For the questions, theres one asking why we want to go to COMP and another asking how we are a "good fit" for the school. Are these not the same?

Thank you for sharing your stats with us. From what I see, they are more or less the same as my stats so hopefully I get the invite soon.
I feel like they're just going in the order of who was verified when.

For the questions, theres one asking why we want to go to COMP and another asking how we are a "good fit" for the school. Are these not the same?
I answered it "Why this school?" and "Why should you pick me" but I could be totally off base.

Reactions: 1 user

When was your application verified?

Thank you so much :)))

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone who received only the Western-NW secondary also filling out the CA secondary too? I'm conflicted if I should just go ahead and start it...

Can anyone shed light on some interesting facts about this place. I'm having a hard time writing the secondaries because I'm not completely sold on this place. Any current students that can share info about what makes it special for them. Location? Curriculum? How are the campuses different? Their owned by the same group!?

Does anyone know if COMP receives recommendations through AACOMAS? Or do we have to contact each person who wrote us a letter to upload a copy onto Interfolio?

Is anyone who received only the Western-NW secondary also filling out the CA secondary too? I'm conflicted if I should just go ahead and start it...
Me too, I am confused b/c the email says nw but the sender's signature is Pomona. I applied to both campus and once I login to their secondary, I can create both nw and Pomona. I think it's safe to fill both, if Pomona do reject us pre secondary, I will just ask for a refund

when should we start getting worried about not getting one. i was verified 6/18. 3.2ish GPA, 29 MCAT. did i not make the screen somehow?

when should we start getting worried about not getting one. i was verified 6/18. 3.2ish GPA, 29 MCAT. did i not make the screen somehow?

I'm in the same boat as you (3.2ish sGPA/30), but I personally wouldn't worry too much until like mid-August :x I feel like they're taking their time to thoroughly go through applications, and I actually kind of appreciate it being a more selective than the instant secondary + $$ other schools do without even really looking at your application. But I do feel nervous with you too it's number 1 on my list! Hopefully we made the cut!

I am worried too even though we are still in the early-ish phase. I was verified the same day as you... have 3.5+ GPA, and 30 MCAT
lol I keep checking AACOMAS everyday just to make sure that I actually did send my primary here
I feel like I am missing something.

Me too, I am confused b/c the email says nw but the sender's signature is Pomona. I applied to both campus and once I login to their secondary, I can create both nw and Pomona. I think it's safe to fill both, if Pomona do reject us pre secondary, I will just ask for a refund

Yeah I have that same option. I don't see why we would be rejected pre-secondary since online it says that anyone who meets the requirements (which to my knowledge are the same at both schools) will get a secondary.

I'm in the same boat as you (3.2ish sGPA/30), but I personally wouldn't worry too much until like mid-August :x I feel like they're taking their time to thoroughly go through applications, and I actually kind of appreciate it being a more selective than the instant secondary + $$ other schools do without even really looking at your application. But I do feel nervous with you too it's number 1 on my list! Hopefully we made the cut!

I am worried too even though we are still in the early-ish phase. I was verified the same day as you... have 3.5+ GPA, and 30 MCAT
lol I keep checking AACOMAS everyday just to make sure that I actually did send my primary here
I feel like I am missing something.

*group hug

on another note, how is everyone gonna approach the "Describe why you see yourself as a great “fit” for our school." prompt. can't really find what kind of students they prefer on their website

*group hug

on another note, how is everyone gonna approach the "Describe why you see yourself as a great “fit” for our school." prompt. can't really find what kind of students they prefer on their website
I noticed they had a lot of involvement in the community so I was gonna focus on that. Also still waiting to hear about a secondary from them and I was verified 6/17. So we'll probably receive one this week.

Just received secondary here.

Anyone care to offer thoughts about this school? I've done some research but haven't found a whole lot. I'm kind of on the fence about submitting since I'm from the east coast and applied to way too many schools the way it is.

does anyone know westerns instate vs oos acceptance %?

which location do we send our letters to via Interfolio? Both say Pomona....

Western University of Health Sciences Biomedical Sciences (MS)
Western University of Health Sciences Health Sciences (MS)

Thanks! :)

I saw they require two science recommendations with the committee letter. Does anyone know how strict they are about this?? I'm a non-trad and don't have any science letters with my committee letter...

those who received secondaries today, when were you guys verified?

I saw they require two science recommendations with the committee letter. Does anyone know how strict they are about this?? I'm a non-trad and don't have any science letters with my committee letter...
Applicants who have not taken a class for two or more years
If you have been out of school for two or more years and are unable to secure the required letter, you may request a letter of recommendation from a research professor, non-science professor, pre-health advisor, or supervisor in lieu of the required letter. The Admissions Committee reserves the right to request additional letters of recommendation.

mine was verified 7/2 and I just got a secondary today

So apparently I got a secondary today too... it was in my spam folder, oops :S
I was verified 6/18

Did you guys answer the question: Is there anything in your application that you would like to explain to the admissions committee? I'm not exactly sure what to put for it.

Did you guys answer the question: Is there anything in your application that you would like to explain to the admissions committee? I'm not exactly sure what to put for it.

I don't think there needs to be an answer for this question if you don't have anything to write...for me specifically, I am going to explain a brief gap in my education/work but that's about it

EDIT: anonther example could be mentioning any upcoming things like courses, work, volunteer or whatever

I don't think there needs to be an answer for this question if you don't have anything to write...for me specifically, I am going to explain a brief gap in my education/work but that's about it

EDIT: anonther example could be mentioning any upcoming things like courses, work, volunteer or whatever
Thanks! I was thinking of adding in some new stuff that happened and the fact that I wasn't able to add a second minor on my primary but I didn't know if this would be where to put it.

Received the secondary today. Verified 7/2, LizzyM 64, oos.

Last edited:
submitted mine last night and i looked at my checklist. noticed my MCAT scores are missing but every other DO school i applied to has received mine. anyone with same issues?

?

submitted mine last night and i looked at my checklist. noticed my MCAT scores are missing but every other DO school i applied to has received mine. anyone with same issues?

?
I'm noticing the same thing on my application checklist for the Lebanon campus. Hopefully it's something that will be taken care of with time.

If I haven't received a secondary yet from WesternU. I was verified 5/22/15. Why is it taking so long? Should I be worried?

For those who submitted:

How long after submitting your secondary did it take for your "App Rec'd from Service" and "MCAT Scores" boxes to show as completed? I figure it may take a few days because the secondary isn't automatically tied to your AACOMAS ID.

Thanks!

I received an invite to the Preview Day. Does anyone know if attending these helps increase your chance at an II/acceptance?