Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Supposedly it helps your chances at both since it shows your interest in the school. I'm going, see you gunners there.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Edit: There aren't any preview day requirements. Follow the link and sign up.

Any ideas when interview invites may go out/when interviews start?

I would love to go. To much money to fly down to simply preview for me. #texas

Reactions: 1 user
For those who submitted:

How long after submitting your secondary did it take for your "App Rec'd from Service" and "MCAT Scores" boxes to show as completed? I figure it may take a few days because the secondary isn't automatically tied to your AACOMAS ID.

Thanks!

I can't find this App Rec'd from Service and MCAT Scores on the secondary...? What are you talking about?

I can't find this App Rec'd from Service and MCAT Scores on the secondary...? What are you talking about?

Click Fall 2016 under Processed Applications.

Scroll down to the Requirements section.

Also, my MCAT and primary showed up, just not my letters yet.

Is there any re-applicants this year? They said I would need an entirely new science letter of recommendation as a re-applicant. Last year I sent in 5 letters including three science letters, a non-science, and a physician. Does this mean I would need to send in 6 letters? Or do they only check two letters and will now take account three letters only? Essentially do I need to go and scramble to find a fourth science professor to write me a letter of recommendation?

Click Fall 2016 under Processed Applications.

Scroll down to the Requirements section.

Also, my MCAT and primary showed up, just not my letters yet.

My status profile doesn't show a Requirements section yet... My secondary must need to be processed first. I submitted yesterday.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who submitted:

How long after submitting your secondary did it take for your "App Rec'd from Service" and "MCAT Scores" boxes to show as completed? I figure it may take a few days because the secondary isn't automatically tied to your AACOMAS ID.

Thanks!
Took two days for me.

Hey all. I'm wondering if western will send a secondary to someone awaiting their first MCAT score, could anyone chime in?

Sorry if this has been asked before.... On the secondary, "While shadowing an osteopathic physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?" What if you have never shadowed an osteopathic physician ??? I have only shadowed MDs..

Is anyone going to Preview Day on 8/22? I am considering it, since I am from Oregon. It's not too far of a drive.

How long did it take to get secondary after verification?

Is there any re-applicants this year? They said I would need an entirely new science letter of recommendation as a re-applicant. Last year I sent in 5 letters including three science letters, a non-science, and a physician. Does this mean I would need to send in 6 letters? Or do they only check two letters and will now take account three letters only? Essentially do I need to go and scramble to find a fourth science professor to write me a letter of recommendation?

I'm a reapplicant! I can't find where they state that they need new LoR's :( Could you let me know where you got that information? So far I'm searching their site and it doesnt say anything about that. In their FAQ for the site this is all I found:

Question 13:I am a re-applicant, how can I better my application, or my chances of gaining admission?
Take a critical review of the information that you provided our admissions office and see if there are any obvious voids. For example, maybe you did not shadow a DO, or you have little clinical experience. Perhaps you had low grades that lowered your overall and/or science GPA, or maybe you weren't involved in community service, or merely forgot to include it on your application. You would be surprised at how much you can learn about the strengths and weaknesses of your application simply by looking at it from an admissions perspective. Above all else, it is important to realize that we receive applications from thousands of highly qualified applicants each year and are only able to accept less than 10 percent of that pool.

I received an invite to the Preview Day. Does anyone know if attending these helps increase your chance at an II/acceptance?
It can in the sense that it's very informational. I went to two of them actually last year to try to get off hold (I was put on hold in October, went to preview day to ask Susan Hansen, the Executive Director of Admissions, what I could do to increase my chances of an interview. She also did a very comprehensive presentation about what the interview day entails and you get a really good sense of what the school is about. I'm actually from Pomona so the school was my first choice. I attended the Preview Day that also happened in March and even talked to President Pumerantz and had a letter for him expressing my passion for the school. Sadly, they filled up in April and I never got an interview :(, so I don't really know what to tell you!

Is anyone considered "complete"? I am still missing my LOR. I sent them via Interfolio last week.

I am still not complete. Still waiting on the LOR as well. I sent an email to admissions last week and they told me to "allow at least 10 working days for LOR" to show up. I sent them on the 15th...

did you guys submit your LORs via AACOMAS ? Their webisite says that they prefer Interfolio.... Does it mean that we need to mail them the letters even if already have them on AACOMAS app?

did you guys submit your LORs via AACOMAS ? Their webisite says that they prefer Interfolio.... Does it mean that we need to mail them the letters even if already have them on AACOMAS app?
Isn't AACOMAS the same as Interfolio now? On several applications I've seen AACOMAS and Interfolio listed as pretty much the same thing.

Does anyone who sent their letters in from inter folio have them up yet? I sent mine in late June... I don't know if the "10-15" day this is since secondaries started rolling out or from the day we sent it.

The comments box for me reads "Needs Science Letter" and "Needs MD/DO letter" - is that what you guys have as well?

Does anyone who sent their letters in from inter folio have them up yet? I sent mine in late June... I don't know if the "10-15" day this is since secondaries started rolling out or from the day we sent it.

The comments box for me reads "Needs Science Letter" and "Needs MD/DO letter" - is that what you guys have as well?

For me the application status says: "Incomplete - Items Outstanding" and at the very bottom the sections for reference letter 1 and 2 are blank.

For me the application status says: "Incomplete - Items Outstanding" and at the very bottom the sections for reference letter 1 and 2 are blank.

Ok. I will call them tomorrow. Thanks for the reply!

do they really expect you to put the address of the physicians you shadowed? Like home address? There is no way I am emailing them and asking them for their home address, that is creepy.

Do any of you have no shadowing experience with a DO? I'm a little confused about what to write on the "while shadowing DO" essay question, as I have not (to my immediate knowledge) shadowed a DO. Any advice?

do they really expect you to put the address of the physicians you shadowed? Like home address? There is no way I am emailing them and asking them for their home address, that is creepy.
I was just going to put the address of the hospital/clinic.

So exciting... my letters are finally updated in the little box for this one and NW :) seriously hoping for an II. I would love to stay close to all my resources and go here :happy:

Do any of you have no shadowing experience with a DO? I'm a little confused about what to write on the "while shadowing DO" essay question, as I have not (to my immediate knowledge) shadowed a DO. Any advice?

That is tough... During your clinical experiences did you ever come across a DO or anything at all? If you have, you can say something like although I have never officially shadowed a DO, I observed one during my time doing X and I learned Y and Z?

Adding to the question, I haven't "shadowed" a DO per say, rather I worked with them while working as a Medical Scribe...is this acceptable?

That is tough... During your clinical experiences did you ever come across a DO or anything at all? If you have, you can say something like although I have never officially shadowed a DO, I observed one during my time doing X and I learned Y and Z?
I have shadowed various doctors through programs but there was never a specific one that said they were a DO, so I literally have no actual story. This makes me wonder if I should even submit this secondary.

So exciting... my letters are finally updated in the little box for this one and NW :) seriously hoping for an II. I would love to stay close to all my resources and go here :happy:

My letters showed up also and my "Application Materials Received" status is there.

Quick question! For the clinical experience section, is it absolutely required to provide the information like address and email/phone number? I am lacking some of these from a few physicians and was wondering if it would affect my application if it wasn't provided.

Did either of you submit your letters through AACOMAS? I submitted my secondary on July 16 and everything is listed as received except my letters.

I had mine in AACOMAS, but I also sent them through Interfolio because of the language of the secondary. So unfortunately I cannot provide any help as if AACOMAS letters are received.

This and the other Western are the only schools out of 30 or so that have not given me a secondary yet. I was verified 7/15. Any idea how long it will be?

This and the other Western are the only schools out of 30 or so that have not given me a secondary yet. I was verified 7/15. Any idea how long it will be?

Check your spam folder, maybe?! I found emails (including one with secondary) from western in my junk folder

@Mandee8767 I think you're fine. I believe everything got verified for me a couple of days before yours and I haven't gotten the secondary either. My friend hasn't gotten a secondary yet either. Seriously it will be fine haha.