WSU/USU c/o 2018 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lab Vet

I love regs!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

USU/WSU is my IS via Utah. Definitely applying here for the class of 2018. Climb on board WSU/USU peeps! Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad.

HI!!! I'm OOS anywhere but I love Washington and will be happy to visit again for interviews (hopefully).

WSU is def. on my list this year because of its tuition :oops:) Plus it's on the Best Coast...er, I mean, West Coast :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck guys! I can't apply until next year, but I did my masters at WSU (we moved away, and now plan to move back lol) and my husband lived in Pullman for several years before me so I can answer any questions about non-vet school stuff (and anything about the bars since my husband was a bartender there before we moved)

i fell in love with wsu when i visited last year! definitely at the top of my list too :love:

Hi! WSU is definitely on my list, even though I'm OOS, because it's the closest school to home and they have a great program.

Although I have yet to see Pullman (I do look forward to a visit, though), I have lived in Logan, and know quite a bit about the area. If anyone has any questions about the USU side of things (at least as far as location is concerned), feel free to give me a holler. Utah's Cache Valley is absolutely gorgeous!

What's up with WSU/USU changing its supplemental date every week? Every time I get excited that the form is going to open online (i.e. every Wednesday), WSU's website informs me that the date has, yet again, been pushed forward one additional week. Sigh :( Waiting patiently....

The WIU supplemental application officially opened today, 06-26-13. As of 3:30 p.m., MDT, the form is incredibly buggy. I can't get the data to save (on any page), and had great difficulty establishing an account connected to my VMCAS ID. I alerted WSU as to the problems with the form, so hopefully IT will fix the issues ASAP so that we can get started on its completion. Again, very frustrating.

Just opened the supplement. Managed to fill out everything fine until I got to the Education section. When I filled out my institution and saved the form everything just disappeared even though it said "Data Saved". When I went to the next tab to fill out my prereq courses none of my institutions were in the drop down menu *shrug*

After about 20 email exchanges (plus a phone call and many, many screenshots), Brandon in WSU IT fixed the many problems associated with my supplemental application. He is amazing. A word to the wise. DO NOT leave anything having to do with any application until the last minute. You never know when you may run into problems exactly like this one which are completely out of your control. Had this happened at the 11th hour, I would never have been able to get my application in on time (I'm very grateful that I'm not a procrastinator- although, rest assured, I have other vices :) ). Things with WSU's supplemental should run smoothly now. If you have trouble, don't hesitate to hit the 'contact' button associated with the application and send Brandon an email. I have no doubt that he'll get back to you quickly and do everything in his power to help you out. I'm very, very grateful to him!

Hi all! I too am on the WSU bandwagon! I'm another OOS-er!!

Question for you all, on the supplemental, under the evaluator section, do you happen to know if they send out new e-mails/require another letter from the evaluators, other than the ones submitted to VMCAS? Or is it just there to verify the letters we want them to use?

Members don't see this ad :)

Question for you all, on the supplemental, under the evaluator section, do you happen to know if they send out new e-mails/require another letter from the evaluators, other than the ones submitted to VMCAS? Or is it just there to verify the letters we want them to use?
If I remember correctly from last year, it's just to verify your evaluators and not because they want another letter. Please correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

Grrrrr! The supplemental is pissing me off! Everything I try to log myself in won't work and I'm so frustrated right now.

I've been exchanging emails with Brandon due to some glitches on the site. The supplemental won't work well with all browsers. His suggestion:

I am going recommend you try Firefox on your Mac. I tried make the application work across all browsers, but browser that gave me the most headaches was Safari on the Macintosh. Chrome, followed by Firefox, worked better, a lot better. If that doesn't work, try to find windows computer; System 7 and Chrome worked the best.

Hope it helps. I still haven't been able to change my GPA no matter what browser I use. Waiting on his email now.

I've been exchanging emails with Brandon due to some glitches on the site. The supplemental won't work well with all browsers. His suggestion:

I am going recommend you try Firefox on your Mac. I tried make the application work across all browsers, but browser that gave me the most headaches was Safari on the Macintosh. Chrome, followed by Firefox, worked better, a lot better. If that doesn't work, try to find windows computer; System 7 and Chrome worked the best.

Hope it helps. I still haven't been able to change my GPA no matter what browser I use. Waiting on his email now.
I am using Firefox -.- I guess I can try Chrome, but every time I try to recover my stuff from last year it tells me it can't right now but I use the same password for everything and a few others and none of them work.

From what I can tell, this is just to verify the information that you have stated on VMCAS. I can't think of a reason why WSU would want their own eLOR form.

As far as which recommendations you would like WSU to use, WSU will accept up to 6 eLORs. The following statement is taken directly from WSU's website:

"Each applicant should obtain a minimum of three evaluations to aid the admissions committee in assessing their personal traits. However, students are able to submit up to six letters of recommendations."

Hope that this is helpful!

Grrrrr! The supplemental is pissing me off! Everything I try to log myself in won't work and I'm so frustrated right now.

Talk to Brandon (use the contact information listed on the Supplemental). It's buggy :(

There are a bunch of issues with the WSU supplemental, but Brandon is awesome. He will go out of his way to help you. Great guy. I truly feel sorry for him having to field all of these questions from individual applicants. For folks who leave the WSU supplemental until last minute, they may be completely screwed.

okay under the "Experience" tab
it says "DOT NOT list experience entered into your VMCAS application. The 'Save' button will save the information, but the form will remain for adding additional experience."

First question, it means "DO NOT." Right?

Second of all, I pretty much entered all my experiences into VMCAS... so I'm going to leave this tab blank/empty. Is that right? I just want to make sure...

okay under the "Experience" tab
it says "DOT NOT list experience entered into your VMCAS application. The 'Save' button will save the information, but the form will remain for adding additional experience."

First question, it means "DO NOT." Right?

Second of all, I pretty much entered all my experiences into VMCAS... so I'm going to leave this tab blank/empty. Is that right? I just want to make sure...

Yup, you're right on. I entered all of my experience into VMCAS. For my WSU supplemental, the tabs for veterinary, research, and animal experience are completely blank.

There are a bunch of issues with the WSU supplemental, but Brandon is awesome. He will go out of his way to help you. Great guy. I truly feel sorry for him having to field all of these questions from individual applicants. For folks who leave the WSU supplemental until last minute, they may be completely screwed.
Chrome worked! But now it won't let me scroll my prereqs and I don't think I've even put in everything I need to and stuff so I sent them a message. *sigh* So close...

I'm working on it again now....and banging my head against a wall...this is by far the most annoying app to fill out....just because its so glitchy :/ Also, and I know this is petty, but the way things "flow" when they open bugs me!!! hahahaha

Oh, and are you guys mildly confused by the differences between the "why WSU..." and the "decision factors" tabs? I feel like they should mean the same thing....and I don't fully understand the options for the "why WSU" part.....but maybe the hours upon hours upon hours of staring at it has fried my brain.....

I'm working on it again now....and banging my head against a wall...this is by far the most annoying app to fill out....just because its so glitchy :/ Also, and I know this is petty, but the way things "flow" when they open bugs me!!! hahahaha
YES! I don't remember it being this bad last year. I don't know why they changed the app's format. The tech guy couldn't even fix my problem so he told me to try a different computer and see if that works. Ugh, if everyone has incomplete apps because they didn't work at least they can't reject all of us right? Lol

So....the mitigating factors is pretty much the same thing as the explanation section on VMCAS, right? So, lets say one had a withdraw and explained it on VMCAS, do you think said person should also explain it on the mitigating factors page? They don't want us to repeat experience, so I would imagine they don't want us to repeat that either...

So....the mitigating factors is pretty much the same thing as the explanation section on VMCAS, right? So, lets say one had a withdraw and explained it on VMCAS, do you think said person should also explain it on the mitigating factors page? They don't want us to repeat experience, so I would imagine they don't want us to repeat that either...

I did not. I didn't repeat any information :)

I did not. I didn't repeat any information :)

:thumbup:

Also, is anyone else having issues with the ethnicity page? That's the only thing I can't get to work for me now....the "save" button is *under* their logo, and I can't click it, no matter what browser I use...

Oh, and are you guys mildly confused by the differences between the "why WSU..." and the "decision factors" tabs? I feel like they should mean the same thing....and I don't fully understand the options for the "why WSU" part.....but maybe the hours upon hours upon hours of staring at it has fried my brain.....

i'm very confused about this. have you made any conclusions about the difference between the two tabs?

i'm very confused about this. have you made any conclusions about the difference between the two tabs?
I don't fully understand them myself, but I think one is asking why you chose WSU and the other is things that caught your eye to the school like brochures and such. I don't think it will hurt you any if you don't fill it out or do it incorrectly.

Hey everyone! I was thinking of applying here but I'm worried about spending money if the supplemental still isn't working very well. Was it better for those who recently filled it out?

A note on the WSU/USU supplemental: The powers that be changed the 'Factors' tabs so that they make more sense now. One of them reads 'How did you hear about us?' The other reads 'Why WSU?' That's more like it ;)

To answer your question, Equus18, I had many, many issues with the WSU supplemental when it first went live. I had to work with Brandon (WSU's tech support guru) extensively to get the form to work. I just submitted the form, and haven't had any issues for quite some time. I'd say you're good to go! Best of success.

on the ethnicity page I can't get the save button to work

on the ethnicity page I can't get the save button to work

Sorry that you're having trouble, iheartdogs. The WSU supplemental is definitely a tough go. I thought that all of the bugs would have been worked out by now. My bad- apologies. Did you eventually get it to work? If not, give Brandon a holler (use the contact form provided within the supplemental application itself). He's a big help, and will do everything in his power to make things work for you. I would have been lost without him.

it says on the main page that telling them your ethnicity is optional so I'm just going to leave it blank....it says on my VMCAS application anyway so it should be fine right?

it says on the main page that telling them your ethnicity is optional so I'm just going to leave it blank....it says on my VMCAS application anyway so it should be fine right?

I think you're good. It's likely just for statistics purposes. This is an illegal question to ask in a job interview. Don't sweat it ;)

Does anyone know if there is a supplemental essay for WSU? What is involved with the application? I don't like that I can't see what the application asks without paying the fee! Thanks!

Does anyone know if there is a supplemental essay for WSU? What is involved with the application? I don't like that I can't see what the application asks without paying the fee! Thanks!

Hi SB,

Nope, no essay with the WSU supp. There are several 'tabs' and 'sub-tabs' of data that you need to complete. These include things like biographical info, information concerning vet/animal/research experience that you DIDN'T include on VMCAS, pre-req coursework, educational history (for both you and Mom/Dad), as well as your reasons for wanting to attend WSU. The information isn't bad at all, but the form can be very buggy. If you're wanting to apply, I wouldn't leave the supplemental for WSU until last minute (just in case you run into problems saving the data; entering the data isn't an issue, but saving it can be). I agree that it's surprising that the school asks for the fee up front. Good luck :luck:

Hi SB,

Nope, no essay with the WSU supp. There are several 'tabs' and 'sub-tabs' of data that you need to complete. These include things like biographical info, information concerning vet/animal/research experience that you DIDN'T include on VMCAS, pre-req coursework, educational history (for both you and Mom/Dad), as well as your reasons for wanting to attend WSU. The information isn't bad at all, but the form can be very buggy. If you're wanting to apply, I wouldn't leave the supplemental for WSU until last minute (just in case you run into problems saving the data; entering the data isn't an issue, but saving it can be). I agree that it's surprising that the school asks for the fee up front. Good luck :luck:

Thanks, Lab Vet!

So it sounds like the application can be completed in multiple sittings? It doesn't sound too bad, minus the technical difficulties :)

Is there a way to ensure all data is properly entered prior to submission? And why would people have experiences other than those listed on VMCAS...? Haha

Thanks again!

Thanks, Lab Vet!

So it sounds like the application can be completed in multiple sittings? It doesn't sound too bad, minus the technical difficulties :)

Is there a way to ensure all data is properly entered prior to submission? And why would people have experiences other than those listed on VMCAS...? Haha

Thanks again!

Welcome ;)

Yup, the WSU supp can definitely be completed in multiple sittings. No problem there.

Yes, you can review a transcript of the data before you electronically submit.

I believe that the 'additional experience' sections are in place in case you'd like to expand on experiences that you included in VMCAS. I believe that you can include experiences on the WSU form that were included on VMCAS, but are prohibited from replicating the same information (i.e. if you wanted to include more detail you probably could). Please, don't quote me on this, though. I'd have to look into it. Also, this was the first year that VMCAS had a research section. The WSU research section was likely a carry-over from last-year's supp. Actually, it was a nice touch (prior to the VMCAS addition).

Let me know if you've got any other questions!

Does anyone know if you have to enter colleges where your parents attended or can you just put the degree they earned? This seems like they're fishing for information about alumni

Does anyone know if you have to enter colleges where your parents attended or can you just put the degree they earned? This seems like they're fishing for information about alumni

Honestly, I don't remember if this is a required field. Even if it is, I don't think that your answer will affect your admissions decision. It's likely just for survey/statistics purposes. I wouldn't worry about it. Just my two cents.

This supplemental is driving me nuts! I can't get it to save any of my pre-req info. I've emailed them, so hopefully I'll hear back soon. I've tried firefox and chrome on a PC and neither worked. Any suggestions?
Thanks!!!

WSU's supplemental is a technical nightmare. I had hoped that the bugs would have been cleared out by now. Good luck, Remi. Talk to Brandon- he's super helpful, and very patient. I would hate to have his job, with all the issues he's been facing with the WSU supp! You've still got until the 9th to submit- plenty of time to handle any technical issues.

Aaarrgghhhh!! Still can't save my pre-req info on the supplemental! I emailed, and Brandon asked if I got any pink boxes when trying to save the info, and I do. But I don't know what to do about them. Anyone else get the pink boxes. I don't really know how else I can type in "Organic Chemistry". He said it's b/c of missing or incorrect info.?!?!?! I've tried two different computers and like a billion didn't browsers. Ok, maybe not a billion, but feels like it :)

I got it to work!! Yay!! Finally got it to work, on a Mac, which is old, and browsers are out of date...hahaha. Happy dance!

I forgot to ask my question.....
For the mitigating circumstances question... I already addressed this in my explanation statement on VMCAS, should I type the same thing, or just reference my explanation statement?