fall 2008 acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted to Columbia Epidemiology today!

Members don't see this ad.

Since my background is as a biochem lab technician, I hope that I can teach an intro bio section (which there are tons of) or be a research assistant somewhere in the health sciences.

Ah. That's the key point I was missing - most of my friends were just public health people, so moving to other departments for GA/TA/RAships wasn't really an option.

Anyway, good luck! I went to the U for my ugrad, and it was quite an experience. I love that school - after going to UIC for my MPH I realized just how much I loved the U of Mn (it was actually cheaper for me to go to UIC...GA/RA/TAs waive all tuition, so I paid less than 10k for the entire program).

Members don't see this ad :)
just got news that i got a fellowship offer (tuition + 11,000 stipend) from unc-chapel hill. apparently this information was available last week but got lost between the communication. woohoo, seems like i'll be at chapel hill next year =)

Congrats tt13! What more could you want!!

Anyway, this is a plea for help. I need to commit to Michigan that I'm taking their scholarship offer by March 5th and I HAVENT EVEN HEARD from 4 other schools I applied to!! It feels silly that I shouldn't even await their decisions before I accept Michigan considering I spent so much time and energy applying to these places!

What do you think I can do? I am waiting on Columbia,Johns Hopkins,BU and Yale. I applied very late,very close to the deadline. :(

Congrats tt13! That is amazing!!

Kang, I would suggest that you contact the schools and let them know that you need to make a decision for a school soon, and are hoping they could tell you when you might expect to hear from them. That way, you aren't pressuring them to actually TELL you their decision, but will let them know that you need to know. I did this with a program and got an almost immediate reply that I'd been accepted.

thanks!! =) I was quite excited.. and nervous for the past week since Medfalljay had heard about his fellowship last week and I was still waiting.

ditto to Generals comment. I'm also planning to call these other schools to pressure them into telling me whether or not I'm in the running for any scholarship, because if not, I'm just going to forget about them. Kang, you definitely should start calling considering your deadline is approaching and UMich is a great school. best of luck!

Hi, I am from India. I have applied to Emory, UAB, UMinn, UIC, UMass Amherst, UIowa, SUNY Albany, UTHSC Houston, OSU and U Kentucky.

I have applied in the health policy and management track/health services organization/public health administration tracks in all of these places.

So far i have received admits from UAB and Emory and a reject from SUNY A (which i found preposterous)

Should i choose a better but costlier school or cheaper but an OKish school ?
Help !!!

Id think going for a good school gives you a distinct advantage when you are looking for work after your MPH - even if you are interested in a residency, surely you'd want to have a backup of a good degree..... I know for sure that a Hopkins MPH is just greatt stuff for international work.. WHO and the like positions are quite competitive..... just my two cents...if you are a doc after this degree and earning 200K.. spend those 40K in getting into one of the best unis in the world..... investment in education is never in vain..good luck.

Accepted to Drexel today with a Merit-based Scholarship. First letter I've received so far from anywhere. What a relief to have at least one.

Received my first rejection letter from Johns Hopkins on Friday. I was kind of turned off by the admin, so I am kind of happy that the decision was made for me. :laugh:

I got an acceptance today to Yale AP MPH Program in Applied Biostatistics and Epidemiology.
The only school i am waiting to hear from is now Harvard. But it seems like they take long time to reply. What is the earliest people have heard from them? my application was sent for review 6 weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received an Acceptance to Yale (Social and Behav. Science) today and a rejection from Harvard :(

Other acceptances: UNC (Full ride plus $10K stipend), Emory, GWU, Michigan, Minnesota, UMDNJ, Drexel, Tulane, Boston University
Awaiting: Columbia, Johns Hopkins

got a rejection email from berkeley today haha. it wouldn't have mattered since i wasn't considering berkeley anymore. i hadn't heard from in three months and have a lot of great options already... but i think it's a bit rude of them to not even send a formal letter, just an email saying i was not offered a spot... and not even providing any status updates the past 3 months.

how long does Tulane take to give a decision?

Accepted to BU HPM yesterday; just got a letter in the mail w/ no electronic warning. I submitted that app in mid-January.

To answer your question about Tulane -- SOPHAS mailed my Tulane app on Feb. 5. I just heard back by email yesterday.

Good luck.

Here's my update (I applied to too many) --

Acceptances:

Columbia - Sociomedical Sciences (Urbanism & Built Environment)
Emory - BSHE
Hopkins - MHS - Child/Adolescent Health
Brown
Dartmouth
Tulane - Maternal/Child Health

Waiting on:

BU
UCLA
U of Arizona

Anyone heard anything from Columbia with regards to financial aid/scholarships?

Anyone heard anything from Columbia with regards to financial aid/scholarships?

JJ, I actually kept emailing all their administrative staff to inquire about my standing, whether or not I was in the running. They finally told me recently that I was not one of the nominees, because those nominees are only the top 5% (high GPA, high GREs, tons of work experience). Essentially, if you have not learned of your nomination, you're not getting any scholarships.

As for financial aid, no word yet.

good to know...

i guess thats it for me and columbia....its been great.

ive heard their idea of financial aid is 100% loans.

also i just saw your post about the admitted students video on the mailman schools page.....

are we supposed to aspire to be like any of the members of the student panel...?

sheeesh... what a bunch of flunkies.

just got my first rejection from harvard! :(

but i've got a good handful of other acceptances:

BU
Yale
UofArizona
Drexel
Emory

Found out I got into Emory :) Also got into Tulane, waiting to hear on BU, Drexel and GWU. Got rejected from Minnesota but it's ok, I think it would have been too cold for me.

I just accepted into the MHS Health Finance and Management program at Johns Hopkins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yayyyy

i didnt apply to Hopkins, missed its deadline :(

In at Emory and Ohio State health mangement!

I would like to know what kind of stats would an individual need to be accepted into Hopkins MPH program. I applied to Emory and was accepted into one of their programs, but I would really like to go to hopkins, it is in my native city. I have a 3.65 gpa and received a under 21 on my mcat.

I found out I got into Michigan HBHE about 2 weeks ago, which is great, except that I still have to hear from Hopkins, UNC, and BU.

I thought knowing I was accepted to at least one program would make it easier, but I am so anxious! Is anyone else still waiting on any of these three schools?

Hallo all, first time poster here...

So here's something intriguing. I applied to 3 schools - Harvard, BU and Yale. And I got accepted to Harvard (3/10/08) and BU (3/3/08)... but get rejected from Yale. Genuine WTF moment.

Then I asked an Epidemiology professor at Harvard (since I was taking a couple of MPH related courses over Fall 07 to prepare myself for the MPH degree at the Harvard Extension School, since I'm currently based in Boston) about how much better Harvard is than BU, and she says theres not that much difference and if you want to do pharma policy concentration, theres no place like BU, since they have the MPH degree with PAMP certification option (Pharmaceutical Assessment, Management and Policy).

So color me a very strong shade of confused.

LOL Healthpro... things aren't want they seem in grad school world, j/k... If it makes you feel better, I'm also new at all this stuff and I find myself confused most of the time too!

Accepted to Brown MPH yesterday via e-mail. My app was completed 1/31.

If any of you are having trouble deciding between hopkins and columbia...

(i didnt apply to hopkins btw)

when i went to columbias open house in october, i actually had a chance to talk to the director of admissions, and i could tell he was impressed by my overall credentials. He sat down with me and we talked for a while. Without me bringing up Hopkins, he told me that maybe I should consider hopkins instead, since it had a significantly stronger program.

Dont know if this helps anyone, but it definitely shocked me.

The only reason I didnt apply to hopkins is that I am already a NYC resident, and was hoping to save money on room and board.

JJright, did he say Hopkins was stronger in all departments? I'm going into health policy and Management and I am deciding between Berkeley, Hopkins, and Columbia. I only have 1 full year of public health work expereience, did he by chance imply that one school was better over the other for people who have been working in the Health profession longer compared to those of us who are just starting out? Thanks for any help you can give me!

Is anyone still waiting to hear from UCLA, Hopkins, and/or Michigan?

I've been accepted to:
Columbia
Emory
Pitt

Thanks.

Accepted:

UW MPH Environmental Health, partial tuition & stipend (by mail)
Columbia DrPH Environmental Health, no scholarship (by mail)
Hopkins MPH, no scholarship (website status change)
Hopkins PhD International Health GDEC, no scholarship (by e-mail)

Rejected:

Pitt DrPH Infectious Disease & Microbiology (by mail)
Hopkins DrPH Global Health (by telephone)

Waiting:

Berkeley DrPH

Cster, I haven't heard from UCLA either... I applied to the Health Services Dept. I called again this week and they said they've already informed some people of rejection, so at this point no news is still good news. Wait, wait, wait... Fustrating!

accepted to hopkins yesterday, unbelievable. cant go anyway as my hubby wasnt taken, so we will most likely go to emory since we were both taken there.
so far;
acceptances- emory
johns hopkins
rejections- yale
harvard

i really dont know what columbia, bu and ucla are waiting for.

Hey guys,

I had a quick question. Does the Hopkins MPH program only release their decisions via snail mail? I went to my online application site and found that they had made a decision, however it did not state what the decision was.

Has anyone here been informed about acceptance/rejection via email?

Acceptances in Health Policy and Management Programs:
UNC-Chapel Hill
Emory
VCU
USC

Phone Interview with Hopkins (No response yet)

Accepted to Brown MPH yesterday via e-mail. My app was completed 1/31.
congratulations for you, Generals! That's amazing. Brown is my dreaming school and I am still waiting for hearing from it.
What is your background and will you actually go to Brown in fall? I know you got several acceptances from top schools.

Hey guys,

I had a quick question. Does the Hopkins MPH program only release their decisions via snail mail? I went to my online application site and found that they had made a decision, however it did not state what the decision was.

Has anyone here been informed about acceptance/rejection via email?

Hii-

I had a link to a decision at the bottom of the application site, and it said that the decision was available online. i clicked on it, and there was a sentence that said i was admitted. such a reversal of college admissions, the thick packet in the mail...Hopefully you will recieve good news soon. Also, you can call hopkins. I have called several times about the status of my app and they have been very accomidating.

congratulations for you, Generals! That's amazing. Brown is my dreaming school and I am still waiting for hearing from it.
What is your background and will you actually go to Brown in fall? I know you got several acceptances from top schools.

Hi babylon,

Thanks! I posted my background elsewhere, but generally, I had a 3.6 gpa, 1490 gre, and 2 years doing research for a public health program. I probably will not be going to Brown but am still considering everything.

Accepted to Columbia HMP today! yayy! :)

Accept to MPH at UGA yesterday, anyone familiar with MPH at UGA???
My final goal is PHD or DrPH.

I only applied to Minnesota, and I found out a couple weeks ago that I got in!

I was accepted at Brown and Columbia (Sociomedical Sciences, Social Science Research track)! Totally thrilled about both :D

Accepted:

Emory - BSHE MPH
Columbia - Sociomedical Sciences Ph.D

Waiting On:

Yale - Chronic Disease Epi, SBS conc. MPH
Columbia - SMS MPH, Social Science Research track
Johns Hopkins - SBS MHS

But since I already got accepted to Columbia's doctoral program, with funding, it's kind of a no-brainer where I'm going to go.

I've been accepted to MPH programs at Berkeley, Columbia, Yale, Emory, BU, Tulane, and UIC (rejected from Harvard epi).

I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to Berkeley Infectious Disease and Columbia Epi (although I go back and forth about Yale Epi of Microbial Diseases and Emory Global Epi too). I guess I can't complain as I'm really excited about all of the programs! Still, I can only pick one! I could use some advice. Any suggestions?