MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by ConfusedAsUsual, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Branch394

Pre-Medical
    I've accepted my offer to Drexel. They gave me great financial aid, but outside of the money aspect I like the school. I think the atmosphere of the university was nice and very welcoming. They care a lot about the students and many students have said that there are many opportunities to get experience. I like how you're basically required to get experience during your first and second years. I also like the fact that since they changed the curriculum the students graduate early (March of their second year). Overall, Drexel has a welcoming environment and the fact that I won't graduate with as much debt as I would if attended another institution made Drexel the best choice for me.

LG0331, pa611, Rblay43 and 6 others like this.
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Cici A

Finally accepted my offer at UNC-Chapel Hill and declined Emory and GWU. UNC has an amazing health policy department and a plethora of resources at Gillings and around Gillings. It is also remarkably inexpensive compared to many graduate school programs. Good luck to everyone in the next chapter of the academic careers!

#5152 Cici A, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    macko126, LG0331, pa611 and 9 others like this.
  4. Daydreamer23

So happy to say that I will be attending Tulane in the Fall (MSPH in Tropical Medicine)! I just love how research oriented it is and I feel that it will prepare me for a career in public health whether it be working for a gov't agency, lab, or academia! I spent the last few years of undergrad stressing over whether I'd do well enough to get into graduate school especially since my gpa was low. But now here I am! Best of luck to all of you with your goals and dreams!! :)

TD2018, LG0331, pa611 and 13 others like this.
  5. n3t

n3t

Unfortunately, at this point, all of Columbia's scholarships are likely gone, and their financial aid is known to be not so great most of the time compared to other programs. If money is truly not a factor, then I agree, you have nothing to lose so why not. However, if you would not go if you had to pay full price, it might be better to put it off until next year to try for a scholarship or to go with another program this year.

rosemary_, JDGBruin1317 and Pbhlth222 like this.
  6. Pbhlth222

Thank you! I am waiting on two other schools so I think I will just forget about Columbia due to the lack of funding :)

7. ha4cb5ed

Question - has anyone received travel reimbursement for Michigan's Visit Day? I submitted my receipts, but I havenʻt heard anything back.

8. Pbhlth222

Has anyone switched their concentration at Emory? Is this allowed/is it likely that they will allow me to switch?

9. Cassatrass

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I switched from Epi to Global Epi and contacted my ADAP who put me under review for the new concentration. In my initial email, I listed out the reasons why I wanted to switch and thought I'd be a good fit. I'm not sure if it was because the departments are so similar or not, but I was also told it wouldn't affect my scholarship or financial aid. :)

Online I read that they prefer you do it before starting the program rather than during!

LG0331 and JDGBruin1317 like this.
  10. ninjahitsawall

Other Health Professions Student
    Hi all - I had to decide by today between Colorado SPH (Applied Biostats) and Pitt (Epi) and I've decided on CSPH.

A bit on how I arrived at my decision, and I also want to discuss prestige a bit. I visited both campuses and both were solid options, main differences being cultural/environment on campus (primarily down to surrounding regional culture, though, I believe), tuition (out-of-state significantly higher in Pitt), and I suppose overall approach at Pitt appearing much more streamlined. The latter I think has to do with the fact the school has been around longer. Not that Colorado is disorganized on the admin end as I have read about on this forum (or heard about from an alum) in its first few years after opening. But it is more "laid back", I guess (as opposed to..erm.."suited up"). Again... that might be more of a regional culture thing.

Rutgers was the only other program I applied to, but I couldn't attend the visit day because it was on the day I was traveling to Pitt and was notified about the latter further in advance. Which was fine because I am from NYC and was more interested in going to school in a different region than the metro area anyway. However, I was also offered 10k there, which makes it about equal with CSPH's cost of attendance.

I've actually been to Denver before so I'm familiar with the area, at least how it was about 8 1/2 years ago. I started undergrad there and left primarily due to health concerns which would have been difficult to address away from home and still financially dependent on my parents. I always felt compelled to go back, though. I was concerned about all the talk about housing getting more expensive and the area generally gentrifying and becoming crowded - the same things I am trying to move out of NYC for lol.

However, when I visited, it seems most students don't have too much trouble finding housing or work even though it's somewhat common to come in nervous about that stuff. When I met with my adviser, I asked about scholarships and she said she would "speak to someone" about offering me an in-state tuition scholarship. A few days later I was offered one. TBH I did not expect follow through on the "I'll talk to someone". This scholarship only is for the first year, and I would have to establish residency after 1 year to maintain it... which I would have wanted to do anyway (and reduced rates for Year 2 would be nice). I get the sense they are trying to attract more out-of-state admits, because the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition is lower than the other schools I've applied to/looked at. Also, I found some old #s for the school that suggest the out-of-state tuition used to be higher. I was also surprised at the number of out-of-state students at the admitted students day.

Another thing that influenced by decision was when I spoke to a Biostats (MS) student there, he also was deciding between the same two schools and was from the western PA area, yet still chose to relocate for school. He (and students in general) did not seem too anxious about finding work or paying off loans or anything like that, and the laid-back atmosphere in general (compared to where I'm coming from, at least, lol) I think would be a good fit for me personally.

I possibly could have tried for more prestigious schools but I instead prioritized location, cost of living/financing/career prospects (i.e. long-term and career-wise, not just as a student), fit, and so on. I think there is some truth to the notion that the Eastern US is more "image-conscious", and reputation is not necessarily high on my list of personal/lifestyle values - another reason I considered relocating in the first place. So I did not feel the need to focus on school rankings too much, though I am aware that rankings-wise, the schools I applied to are still solid options. Additionally, I think that the Biostatistics skill set is desirable enough in most of the US that school prestige would not be as relevant, nor would the more expensive programs necessarily have a larger ultimate payoff.

I hope this can be of help to someone, because it was so difficult for me to find info about Colorado in particular throughout the application process! Not to mention, the MPH Biostats program apparently has only about 20 students - though I think that is a plus going forward wrt personal attention and such.

That being said, I am still nervous about whether I am making the "right" decision (not only financially, but also about whether relocating to another region entirely is going to work out), though that is probably normal for most of us in this situation (?)

Good luck to everyone who is still in the process of deciding!

#5159 ninjahitsawall, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  11. Teets4Tots

I'm also attending CSPH for the health systems, policy, and management concentration. I grew up in CO and have wanted to go back since I moved (military brat) but it was hard to get past acceptances from other better known programs. However, I'm able to get in-state tuition and I could definitely see myself living there after earning my master's. I agree that there isn't much on the internet or forums about the program but after paying my deposit, I feel I made the right choice!!

#5160 Teets4Tots, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    JDGBruin1317 and ninjahitsawall like this.
  12. ninjahitsawall

Yeah, I would imagine most people who apply to the kinds of programs you did (MN, GW, Boston, etc) had CSPH as a safety option, haha.

Colorado feels oddly (despite distance from actual hometown), homey to me, hard to explain.

I actually intern at NYU CGPH (mostly alongside MPH students, but I'm completing core coursework elsewhere), and did not realize until talking to a colleague last week that this program -not the MPH degree, but the actual college - is very new...was wondering why they were unranked on US News public health programs..

Anyway, considering it is one of the more popular programs, it was reassuring to find out from some students there that they are actually sort of where CSPH was back around 2010-13ish, as far as messy admin stuff. One student even told me a friend (from CA) is looking at PT school at Anschutz and they seem to have things pretty put together there. So just goes to show prestige and popularity aren't everything. Though in my experience, you do kinda get what you pay for with undergrad, as far as bureaucracy goes.

Were you at the visit day by any chance (wondering if we missed each other)?

JDGBruin1317 likes this.
  13. Teets4Tots

How new the program is actually worried me a little when I was making my decision, but after learning about the rest of the schools on the campus and how rigorous they are, I think it's unlikely they would allow the public health program to fall by the wayside.
    I actually didn't make it to the visit day due to my internship. How was it? I've only visited the campus very quickly before

ninjahitsawall likes this.
  14. CaliPenguin

Non-Student
    After much contemplation and mental tug of war, I've accepted my admission offer at UNC. While it was certainly hard to decline Harvard due to the research being done in my field, I was won over by UNC's curriculum, warmth, hospitality, and pace. In the end, I was balancing not just what I want to learn and get out of a program but what kind of lifestyle I want as well. Thank you all for the support! This forum has been a helpful space.

yurr_, Ebb55, Cici A and 7 others like this.
  15. cannedkoala

It was extremely difficult for me to decide between Harvard and Hopkins as both are great programs, but I eventually (today) decided to attend Harvard despite getting more scholarship from Hopkins. I think I would be able to meet my academic and career goals at either school, but I really like the warm and close-knit student body at Harvard. I also reached out to a professor with whom I would like to do research at Harvard, and she replied within a few hours welcoming me and saying we should meet in fall when I arrive in Boston.

This forum has been an incredible source of information and a supportive community. Best of luck to everyone whichever program you choose. Perhaps we'll cross paths someday as colleagues in public health! And for those who are attending Harvard, feel free to PM me so we can virtually meet before classes start in fall :)

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Rblay43

Non-Student
    Has anyone out there committed to UMD? I just confirmed a few days ago and wanted to see if anyone on here also had plans to attend:happy:

JDGBruin1317 likes this.
  18. ninjahitsawall

Ah, yeah, because I had the flexibility to do so, I moved around my internship hours to make both visit days (but lost paid work hours..oh well). It was a pretty short day; including the optional campus tour, the agenda only went to 2pm. It was that one random 20 degree snowy day though so that was kinda funny...for people visiting that hadn't been to CO before, I wonder if that was discouraging, haha. There was only one other student in the breakout session, so I don't know that I would've been offered a scholarship at all if I hadn't shown up and casually been like "so have all the scholarships been decided yet?" It seemed like a spur-of-the-moment thing. I also personally visited the assistant dean after though, to ask my n00b housing/commute questions, and have been pestering Student Affairs with email questions since like December, :laugh: ...so maybe that had something to do with it as well.

Everyone seemed pretty approachable and welcoming. One thing I noticed at both schools was they didn't give the impression that they were trying too hard to impress people and only show the positive side to everything (aka marketing)-- I got more of that when I was visiting schools for undergrad, so was almost expecting it. Like during the Q&A, there was some open discussion about which neighborhoods are/aren't sketchy. And Student Affairs was also saying that apparently some students chose the school simply "because it's Colorado" and that that's a valid reason, haha.

I think it won't be too hard to network; not sure if it's just my program and haven't checked stats, but it does seem like a smaller student body in general. I unintentionally ended up sitting across from a professor at lunch who I was already familiar with from looking through the faculty and their research on the website (we were unofficially organized at tables by dept., but I couldn't find any other MPH Biostats people, lol, so ended up with MS/PhD admits with that prof as their main adviser). To me that is somewhat of a big deal, because around where I live "networking" tends to mean a lot of playing numbers games, and I feel that this distracts from organically making connections (at least for me).

sploosh and JDGBruin1317 like this.
  19. LG0331

I can't tell if you mean a switch as in general to global or a complete departmental switch but, I did a departmental switch and it went smoothly! I just emailed the ADAP of the department I was interested in (I switched from MPH EH to MPH Epi) and listed why I felt it would be a better fit and asked if it was possible that my application be considered for that program. For a departmental switch, your application is reviewed traditionally, as any other applicant applying to the respective program, and you're notified in the same method as your original decision.

Edit: As @Cassatrass mentioned, they definitely recommend (may have mentioned this at Visit Emory?) that you do it sooner rather than later. Sorry I can't be more specific with that time frame but I'd submit the request as soon as you decide you'd like to switch!

#5167 LG0331, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    JDGBruin1317 and Cassatrass like this.
  20. Cassatrass

Even for going from general epi to global epi they put me fully back under review. But yeah, go for it! The worst they can do is decline the switch, in which case you still stay admitted to your current program. :)

JDGBruin1317 and LG0331 like this.
  21. Michelle Faux Fur

Pre-Medical
    Now that decision day has passed, I am continuing to research scholarships online. I have been researching those suggested by various schools -- fastweb, scholly, scholarships.com, etc. -- but all of them seem to be connected to monthly subscription services for which you need to pay. Has anyone had luck finding other services, preferably free?

#5169 Michelle Faux Fur, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Noyce likes this.
  22. peachplumpear85

Non-Student
    Finally decided a few days ago that I'll be pursuing an MHS in infectious disease epidemiology at JHSPH next year! Declined offers from BU and Yale. It's kind of exciting to finally be able to make plans for the year ahead :)

23. casespace

Guys, I need help.

I've been watching this thread forever but this is my first time posting, because I feel a little stuck. I've been accepted to UPenn, Brown, and WashU. I know none of these programs are US News ranked, but I am not only looking to complete my MPH but my premed requirements as well, as I hope to continue on to med school.

Right now, it seems as though Brown has better research opportunities and a lot of connections due to having an actual school of public health while Penn is an interdisciplinary program. Obviously Penn has a better medical school, but I am worried that students will not get as much attention.

sploosh likes this.
  24. pugluvr57

I applied first round so I’m gonna assume that’s a rejection :/ best of luck to you!!

25. wwmmkk

What requirements do you need to fulfill for premed? I can't imagine doing med school prereqs on top of a full time MPH course load, internship requirements, and research experiences. My understanding is that the two do not overlap. Post-bacc programs are a better choice for fulfilling prereqs and MS programs are a better choice if you are interested in preparing for a medical research career. I think it makes more sense to do an MPH during residency or as part of an MD/MPH program as it's often free. But if you're going to do it now, choose from your MPH options based on your fit with the programs, not how they will look on an application since I don't think having an MPH really detracts or adds much to a med school app.

26. havvajava

Anyone who committed to UCLA know if they applied for the Graduate Opportunity Fellowship Program?

27. macko126

Non-Student
    lol just got in at Oregon State..... lil late hahah

28. dodgers4life

I accepted my offer to go to NYU over Columbia on Saturday! NYU was a better fit and their financial aid package was better.

yurr_, fwm88, x0n and 6 others like this.
  29. skcolley

Haha! You are definitely not the only one...my family was SHOCKED when I told them!

Yes!!! See you this fall! :)

sploosh and Cassatrass like this.
  30. atmcgraw

After a long wait, I finally received an acceptance letter to UMD (MPH- physical activity)!

31. atmcgraw

I haven't committed yet, but I will be! I will be in the MPH in Physical Activity program. I went to UMD for undergrad, so if you have any questions feel free to message me:)

JDGBruin1317, Rblay43 and Pbhlth222 like this.
  32. Pbhlth222

I am at UMD for undergrad as well and just got into their HE MPH program :) waiting on other schools tho, so I have not made my decision yet.

JDGBruin1317, Rblay43 and atmcgraw like this.
  33. Pbhlth222

Does anyone know how long Emory takes for me to get a supplemental application? I called and admissions said it takes 4-6 weeks after SOPHAS verifies it but I think the lady misunderstood me...because why would It take that long just to receive a supplemental application if SOPHAS has already verified my application. Boston took a week to send me my supplemental app, so I am just really confused.

34. Cassatrass

There is no supplemental application for Emory, the woman you contacted probably thought you were asking how long a decision would take

JDGBruin1317 and Pbhlth222 like this.
  35. Pbhlth222

Even better, thank you!

36. spacewitch

I'm pretty sure you are automatically considered for the fellowship. When I got accepted I was asked to send a letter to the financial aid dept about my financial need and professional accomplishments so if you haven't done that maybe email the fin aid dept.

37. Pbhlth222

Lol it's weird how things work...just got accepted to Emory BSHE! (I have no patience lol).

macko126, JDGBruin1317 and Cassatrass like this.
  38. Vslyph

Late to update everyone, but committed to attending Columbia!!

This thread has been so incredibly helpful and supportive. If any of you are joining me in NYC in the fall, please don’t hesitate to get in touch!

39. sweetgirl964

Hello everyone! I don’t know if this has been discussed already but what is like the average amount of loans you are taking on for your degree? I’m debating between my in state school and Emory’s BSHE program, but Emory is so expensive lol. Is 80k in loans worth it, especially if I know I want to go on to get a PhD or go to professional school?

#5187 sweetgirl964, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    sploosh likes this.
  40. mexeldrexel

Medical Student
    Committed to Harvard!

I’ve really appreciated the community here on this forum (which is more than I can say for the rest of SDN). Now that I’m completely done with the process, I posted my stats are below. I benefited a lot from those who chose to stick around and mentor us from the previous cycle so future applicants reading this, feel free to pm me as I want to return the favor!

UGPA: SOPHAS 3.3
    Major/Minor: Chemistry
    GradGPA (if applicable): all P (medical school H/P/F)
    GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 160V 156Q, 4.5W

Experience/Research (please, be brief):
    • RA on HIV/AIDS patients and caregivers study (2yrs)
    • headed research project on rehab effectiveness (.5 yr)
    • basic science lab experience with stems cells (1yr)
    • Co-author on 2 papers, presented 3 poster sessions
    LOR: 2 professors, 1 attending
    Concentration: Health & Social Behavior, Sociomedical Science, etc
    Special factors: Hispanic, medical student, strong SOP

Applied: Harvard (45 credit MPH, 11/18), Yale (Advanced Professional MPH 11/18), Columbia (Accelerated MPH 11/18). I was limited in the schools that I could apply to because the academic calendar had to match up with my very strict med school schedule

Accepted: Columbia (1/22) +$$, Yale +$$ (1/29), Harvard (2/22)
    Attending: Harvard
    -----
    For those applying next year and stalking the 2018 thread ;), here are 2 videos of a panel of admissions officers discussing the application process. I watched them and thought they really helped:
    1. Public health admissions panel: U. Iowa, UCLA, Hopkins, Harvard, Tufts, U. Hawaii, Claremont ()
    2. Public health admissions panel: UC Berkeley, Columbia, Touro, SFSU, NYU, UC Davis ()

#5188 mexeldrexel, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    sploosh, LG0331 and JDGBruin1317 like this.
  41. Vslyph

Has anyone gotten anything but stock confirmations after submitting their deposit to Columbia? Anything like a welcome letter?

alexiabee2020 likes this.
  42. aethermist

4 days ago I received an email titled "Welcome to the Mailman School of Public Health!" but it was pretty vague and just said in May there will be more emails. I got 2 before that to confirm they received my response and payment received.

Vslyph likes this.
  43. outdamnedspot

After a lot of deliberation between JHU PFRH, Yale CDE, and Columbia PopFam, I submitted my deposit and committed to Columbia on Sunday!! :soexcited:

It was super hard to turn down JHU and Yale--I was in love with all three of the programs--but what it ultimately came down to is that I have a massive support system in NYC compared to Baltimore and New Haven and know that I would be happiest in New York. Anyone for the 2018-2019 cycle reading this: feel free to PM me if you have any questions about my choice!

44. outdamnedspot

I haven't received anything but confirmations either! Hoping for something a bit more welcoming soon, lol

Vslyph likes this.
  45. fwm88

See you in the fall. What's your concentration?

46. sweetgirl964

Hey I’m in the same boat as you! What did you end up deciding on?

47. sploosh

I'm taking on around 60k in debt, though I hope to work part time to minimize my expenses.

I will say that it was a bit of a different situation for me in that I would be taking on sizable debt regardless of where I went between my final two choices, and I didn't think that 5k to even 10k was enough money for it to be a real differentiating factor. I've accepted that I would be taking on debt for this degree to go to the program I liked best.

One more mitigating factor, though - I know that salary will likely be a factor in my post-graduation job search, so if you know you're going to be doing a lot of nonprofit or otherwise low-paying work after school, I would discuss this with someone else who feels the same!

48. sweetgirl964

That makes sense. In the grand scheme of things, even 10k isn’t a lot! For me, the difference between my state school and my other option was 20k, and the difference between that and Emory is an additional 20. The thing is with my state school, my research interests don’t really match up with theirs, while at Emory they have a lot more options. It’s super stressful because I’m not really sure where I want to be working after graduation either. These are all huge numbers, and it’s been stressing me out so much

49. kcarlson518

I've chosen London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM). Turns out that those $600 + application fees and GRE were all for nothing, haha. I chose it because I want to work internationally, its only 11 months, and its cheaper than the others. I'll be taking on $35,000 in debt.

CaliPenguin, x0n, macko126 and 4 others like this.
  50. LG_MPHD

Which PhD programs in California did you find waived the GRE requirement? I’m doing my MPH part time and I’m not looking to take that test ever again! :)

51. ms.medhumanities

Hi all! Is anyone still waiting to hear back from Berkeley's MPH program? I feel like I've been waiting forever! Has anyone heard any news?

52. phclarinetist

Non-Student
    I had to email 3 different people over the course of a couple of weeks to finally get an answer. I was finally notified only 2 weeks ago that I was rejected. I would contact the head SPH admission person to assist you. That's the only way I finally got an answer. The department representative was not helpful at all.

ms.medhumanities likes this.