** 2008-2009 Secondary Application Thread! **

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2-3 times a paragraph seems a little overboard. You can say it one or tow times in the essay and they get the picture. They know the question you are answering, they will have it in front of them. If you feel that you have to keep some/most of them, I'd get rid of the "ostoepathic doctor" .... something about it just sounds weird. You can just say "doctor." Thats just my opinon though. Its also kind of hard to to comment w/o the actual essay. i can read and give you feedback if you want, not that my opinion is the holy word or anything, but if you want some extra feedback that you may or may not use, just PM me.

p.s. i just looked at my "why DO" essay for Western. It about a page long, single spaced, and is 4,400 characters w/ spaces...i used the word osteopathic 3 times.

edit: I used DO in my essays on numerous occasions, i never really though twice about it being improper... thats the initials of the degree, so why wouldnt you be able to use it?

You see the thing is...I want to specify why I want to become an osteopathic physician...not just a physician (as that was explained in my PS). So I can't just say "doctor".

Members don't see this ad.

You see the thing is...I want to specify why I want to become an osteopathic physician...not just a physician (as that was explained in my PS). So I can't just say "doctor".

well of course, and I did too. I just felt that since I was answering the question "why DO," that it wouldn't be necessary to say "osteopathic" in every other sentence, you know??

either way, i dont think its a big deal.

I tried searching the thread and didn't find anything, so sorry if this is a repeat question-

Has anyone received a secondary from PNWU or an email asking them to fill out the secondary they have a link to on their website? Of the 8 schools I applied to, they are the only ones I have yet to hear back from. I wasn't sure if I should just fill it out and send it to them or wait to hear from them first.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to them about your application. They said 'thanks but no thanks'.

Seriously though, either wait; or call them to verify they received your application from aacomas.

So I've sort of been on hold (personal hold) of not doing secondaries because I'm busy studying for the retake of my MCAT. Once I retake in Sept; am I better off rushing to get secondaries done and apply a few weeks earlier or taking my time and write really good secondaries and apply a few weeks later? Am I going to be really late now anyway?

I was doing secondaries while studying for mcat retake and taking organic with lab. I kind of treated the secondaries as a break from studying...a perverse and fairly masochistic break. You'll be miserable if you hold them all off.

I'd get them done as fast as possible. Honestly, all of my interviews have come from the secondaries I have spent the least amount of time on. (FIU, NSU, LECOM-B, and Touro-CA). I spent maybe an hour total for all of them combined. Whereas, the schools I spent 2 hours working on a single one...nada.

I was doing secondaries while studying for mcat retake and taking organic with lab. I kind of treated the secondaries as a break from studying...a perverse and fairly masochistic break. You'll be miserable if you hold them all off.

I'd get them done as fast as possible. Honestly, all of my interviews have come from the secondaries I have spent the least amount of time on. (FIU, NSU, LECOM-B, and Touro-CA). I spent maybe an hour total for all of them combined. Whereas, the schools I spent 2 hours working on a single one...nada.
Only an hour on secondaries :confused:; wow some have many essay questions.

Last edited:
I tried searching the thread and didn't find anything, so sorry if this is a repeat question-

Has anyone received a secondary from PNWU or an email asking them to fill out the secondary they have a link to on their website? Of the 8 schools I applied to, they are the only ones I have yet to hear back from. I wasn't sure if I should just fill it out and send it to them or wait to hear from them first.

Thanks

I received the secondary from PNWU this afternoon. $175...that's gotta hurt!

Last edited by a moderator:
I received the secondary from PNWU this afternoon. $175...that's gotta hurt!

Yeah I got that too. But after reading it appears that you could just download the secondary and send it in without an invite. I really don't know anything about the school or its location......175 is about as bad as the $200 I dropped on Touro NY.

Gotta wierd question for anyone...

I just submitted my primary and in my work experience I mentioned an ambulance company I used to work for. The company closed so I would have no way to provide "verification." Does anyone know if the schools will care about this for those that request a medically related work experience explanation on their secondary?

that was kind of a ramble

IamAriDO

Gotta wierd question for anyone...

I just submitted my primary and in my work experience I mentioned an ambulance company I used to work for. The company closed so I would have no way to provide "verification." Does anyone know if the schools will care about this for those that request a medically related work experience explanation on their secondary?

that was kind of a ramble

IamAriDO

Don't worry about it. You will not be asked to "verify" anything. But for impressionable eyes out there, you should not take this as an invitation to exaggerate. Interviewers are like Robert De Niro in Meet the Parents. They're watching you. :smuggrin:

hey chocolate bear,
Thank you for answering...you've done that for both of my sdn questions....oh i wouldn't exaggerate,to easy to get caught and besides what can you exaggerate about shuttling dialysis patients around at 4am in the (insert choice word) morning.

Thank you!
IamAriDO

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So I know this is pretty late in the game to be asking this, but I was wondering which of the D.O. schools screen their AACOMAS primary applications before sending invitations to complete the secondaries?

I want to add more schools to my list but am getting really sick of spending hours to write essays then paying hundreds of dollars just to be amongst the thousands of applications that may or may not get looked at anytime soon... and I don't really feel like cutting out any "free" checks anymore with school having just started and all.

I know this is a really poor attitude to have, but just being honest. Getting so sick of this process already... don't know how I'm going to handle next year if I have to reapply again!!

Any help greatly appreciated.

*edit*

Just noticed someone asked the same thing a few posts before mine, oops. Currently scrolling through the CIB but any more feedback is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Thanks.

Last edited:
I know this is a really poor attitude to have, but just being honest. Getting so sick of this process already... don't know how I'm going to handle next year if I have to reapply again!!

I hear ya, for sure. I love love love NYCOM for admitting that they have enough information from AACOMAS to do interview invites...

"The Admissions Committee will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis, with interviews beginning in November. Selection for interviews will be based upon the AACOMAS primary application."

How awesome is that? It was so refreshing to see that they weren't going to make us rearrange the information we already gave them, then send them money for our trouble. It makes me want to send them money.

I know that doesn't answer your question at all, but I totally understand how you feel. My essays are starting to get sloppy because they are just cut and pasted frankenstein creations that somewhat answer the nuanced questions they ask.

I know that TCOM screens; also NYCOM, and TCOM-CA says it does. Other than that, I don't really know.

I appreciate the holistic approach and emphasis on serving the underserved, but I'm not sure that osteopathic schools control the market on service and people-oriented medicine, although, at least from fliers, catalogs, and explanations they seem to place a greater emphasis on these things. I'm concerned that writing about those things, and sharing some personal experiences I've had, might be very cliche...even though true. Thoughts anyone? What are other people's reasons for osteopathic?

I appreciate the holistic approach and emphasis on serving the underserved, but I'm not sure that osteopathic schools control the market on service and people-oriented medicine, although, at least from fliers, catalogs, and explanations they seem to place a greater emphasis on these things. I'm concerned that writing about those things, and sharing some personal experiences I've had, might be very cliche...even though true. Thoughts anyone? What are other people's reasons for osteopathic?

It might be good to talk about OMM because, of course, this is exclusively osteopathic.

Umm, basically I just want to be a doctor and don't care what initials are after my name. And if it requires more specialized training (OMM), that's just additional knowledge I can apply later from my "medical toolbox." But I have a feeling that's really not what they want to hear, hence why I have yet to submit my AACOMAS... it looks like most of the secondaries have essays with similar questions... :(

Last edited:
Hey kids, try not to get too stressed out about "why DO?". More on that, in a second. First, this is EXACTLY why it's great to find a DO to shadow. It may sound cliché to say "holistic" and "patient-centered medicine," but if you've seen one of these elusive creatures in practice, it's much easier to talk about what you've actually seen, as opposed to what you've read in some cheesy pamphlet (even if they are similar).

Back to "why DO?". I think it's very acceptable/common to "want to be an outstanding physician who receives more in-depth training in manipulative treatments and palpatory skills." I also think it's fine/good to mention wanting to receive great general practice training; "it is, after all, at the heart of all medical practice." The body's natural ability to heal itself (one of the tenets, right?): this is a good one to extrapolate. Have a passion for nutrition/preventive medicine/patient education/etc? Great. Branch off from here.

Many secondaries will ask "why school X?" or "why osteopathic medicine and school X" (combined objectives in one essay). These are much easier, because you should focus more on what attracts you to that particular school. Do your research.

Last edited:
Thank you, Chocolate Bear!! This is all great advice. You are one of my favorite people on this forum :D

Received an interview request from WVSOM today, I'm excited!

After looking, I can't find the answer to this one. Do all schools send 2ndaries electronically, or are there a few that use snail mail?? Thanks!

After looking, I can't find the answer to this one. Do all schools send 2ndaries electronically, or are there a few that use snail mail?? Thanks!

Pikeville sent theirs via snail mail.

I got 13 secondaries electronically and Pikeville's via snail mail which sucks because if you screw up you have to call and request a new one (hasn't happened to me yet but I'm not finished with it).

About 3/4 of the apps are PDFs though so you'll have to mail them back in and a good portion of those are uneditable PDFs so you can't type right on them unless you have Acrobat 8 or some other program like that which lets you throw some tricks at PDFs.

Does anyone know what OU-COM's secondary looks like, given the time waiting (and waiting (and waiting)) for AACOMAS to verify I want to get everything ready as much as possible. Any shed some light (std why osteopathic, cv, experience, etc?) or something else.

Thoughts?

I know this was probably asked a billion times somewhere earlier in this thread, but just wondering if it's acceptable to submit 100-200 word essays for ones that have a 500 word limit. Do most people try to come as close to the "limit" as possible, or is a paragraph fine for these essays?

Thank you.

You want to show them that you put time and effort into the process, and I'm not sure if one paragraph is enough to do that. I would drag it out to at least 400 words, so roughly 2 paragraphs if 500 is the limit.

ATSU-KCOM
--What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less)
--What specific experience/exposure have you had with osteopathic medicine? How has this influenced your decision to become an osteopathic physician? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less)

ATSU-SOMA (confirmed for 09-10)
--What aspects of the Osteopathic Philosophy had the greatest influence in your decision to seek a career in Osteopathic Medicine? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less)
--What is your motivation for participating in the activities you have described in the clinical, volunteer and community service section? How have these experiences changed you? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less)
--How does your character, qualities, and experiences distinguish your ability and resolve to serve in underprivileged communities? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less)

AZCOM
1. List any relative who is an osteopathic physician
(list name, relationship, osteo college attended, year of graduation)

2. Why do you believe AZCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking? (1,500 characters)

3. Why should AZCOM accept you into this year's class? (1,500 characters)

4. Upload a copy of your resume or curriculum vitae, which will include, but not be limited to the following information:

* Educational History (colleges attended and degrees earned)
* Employment History
* Medically related work and volunteer experiences
* College extracurricular activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
* Community activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
* Hobbies and nonacademic interests

Application fee: $50

CCOM

2. Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking? (1,500 characters)

3. Why should CCOM accept you into this year's class? (1,500 characters)

4. Upload a copy of your resume or curriculum vitae, which will include, but not be limited to the following information:

* Employment History

DMU-COM (confirmed for 09-10)

No prompt.

Application fee:$50

KCUMB

Here

LECOM (all 3)
--Write a personal essay describing yourself and the qualities you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician
--Why are you interested in attending the LECOM College of Medicine to earn the degree of Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine?

LMU-DCOM

MSUCOM (confirmed for 09-10)
Describe a personal experience or ethical challenge you have faced that has influenced the development of your character. How has this experience helped you to develop specific skills and/or abilities that are essential to practicing osteopathic medicine?

NYCOM

NSU-COM
Just general questions:
past employment, health-care related activities (list), school and other activities, which DO and MD schools you're applying to, and if you've ever matriculated into an MD or DO program.

OUCOM

OSUCOM

PNWUCOM

PCOM
http://www.pcom.edu/Admissions/PA_Supp_App.pdf

PCOM-GA
http://www.pcom.edu/Admissions/GA_Supp_App.pdf

PCSOM (Pikeville)
Attach a separate sheet stating why you should be selected for training as a primary care, rural osteopathic physician.

RVUCOM
--D.O. letter required
--No character limits stated
--If you have already graduated, please describe your work experience and community service activities since you were last enrolled in school. Feel free to attach resume.
--Were you employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate school? If yes, list employment.
--Why do you want to become an Osteopathic Physician?
--Why do you wish to attend Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine?
--What unique characteristics, abilities or skills will you bring to the College and to the Osteopathic Profession?

TOUROCOM-NY
On a separate sheet of paper, type an essay discussing your aims in seeking admission to the College of Osteopathic Medicine. Include such items as your personal and academic background, your career goals, experiences which nurtured your interest in the health field and in the Osteopathic profession specifically, your “shadowing” experience, and any other factors which you feel are relevant to admission. (no more than 2 pages)

TUCOM (CA)
http://www.tu.edu/user_files/25/TUCAsupapp.htm

TUNCOM (NV)
http://www.tu.edu/user_files/55/Osteopathic_Medicine_Supplemental_Application.pdf

UMDNJ

Previous year's link no longer works. If you have the prompt/link for the current application cycle, please post it or PM me!

UNECOM

List ALL the medical schools (osteopathic and allopathic) to which you have applied in the past and/or are applying to this admissions cycle. List each school/college on separate line and include month/year of application.

Describe your particular interest in attending UNECOM and what brought you to your decision to apply. Reflect on the type of physician you want to become, and how UNECOM can help you reach your potential.

Describe any contact you have had with UNECOM students, alumni, faculty members, or clinicians, admissions/student affairs staff members, etc. How did these interactions influence your decision to apply?

Reflect on your involvement in healthcare, research, clubs, and community organizations. In light of all these experiences, how would you evaluate the strengths and weaknesses in your preparation to study and practice osteopathic medicine?

Please share any additions or changes since submitting your AACOMAS application. Include academic recognition, research achievements and/or publications, presentations, promotions or changes in employment, recent leadership or volunteer service, etc.

TCOM/UNTHSC

VCOM

WVSOM
--Please state your reasons for wishing to become an Osteopathic Physician and why you feel WVSOM should consider you as a member of this year’s class.

Western U/COMP
--2.5" x 3" photo (optional)
--Describe your motivation for training as an osteopathic physician. Comment specifically on your
academic performance and potential for study in Osteopathic Medicine. (1 page)
-- Describe your participation in community service activities, include any work in a medically
underserved or economically disadvantaged community. (1 page)

Application fee: $65

Last edited:
Has anybody received a secondary from GA-PCOM lately? I've been verified for 2 weeks, and still no word. My secondary has been ready to send for about a month now!

If they receive LOR's before sending out the secondary, will they reject them?

Thanks!

Has anybody received a secondary from GA-PCOM lately? I've been verified for 2 weeks, and still no word. My secondary has been ready to send for about a month now!

If they receive LOR's before sending out the secondary, will they reject them?

Thanks!

I received my secondary almost a month ago now. You might want to call them before you send your letters. Chances are they'd just put them in your file until they got your secondary but it never hurts to call and ask them.

My stats according to AACOMAS (AMCAS sees them differently, is why I have to postbacc):

GPA : ~3.8 for everything
MCAT : 36Q

Ok, currently I am in a post-bacc to an M.D. school, and applying to my state schools as well. My post-bacc program historically has taken absolutely every student scoring grades about a certain level in this program, so my chances are at least 90% I will get into the M.D. school. I have nothing against D.O.s, but the fact is, the majority of the non-primary care residency spots are allopathic, and the odds are substantially better to match as an M.D.

HOWEVER, 90% is not 100%, and so I want to hedge my bets. The M.D. school I am at may not accept me until April or May. Also, I could apply for that National Guard - ASW program a few months earlier, which could affect things.

The three D.O. schools I applied to using a fee waiver : CCOM, DMU-COM, MSU-COM.

Each of them demands a non-refundable deposit of around $1000, and I would prefer not to pay this.

Is there any way I can time it so that I probably won't have to waste $1000? The problem is, the longer I wait to turn in a secondary, the smaller the improvement in my chances becomes.

Let's suppose that I have a 97% chance of getting into one of those 3 osteopathic schools, were I to turn my secondaries in by October 1. That improves my chances of getting into a medical school to nearly 100% for this year.
(99.7% if my math is correct)

But if I waited until Febuary, I might have only a 50% chance of getting in to one of those 3 osteopathic schools. That means the marginal benefit from applying at all is much less.

Uggh. I don't know what to do. It defeats the whole purpose to apply, go to interviews, and then not pay the deposit for at least 1 school. But, $1000 is enough money to matter. I could buy groceries and gas for a couple of months, or buy a new laptop, or do lots of things with an extra grand.

Every year that you don't get into med school costs you over 100000 dollars. Whats the big deal in dropping 1000 to ensure that you're in? That's my advice, get an extra job

Except that if I get stuck going to a D.O. school, I could end up in a specialty I don't like for the rest of my lifetime (and, incidentally, costing me $100,000+ per year for the rest of my life, if you factor in the huge disparities in pay between specialty)

In 2007 the match was heavily weighted against D.O. physicians for allopathic slots. With the large increase in D.O. class sizes that problem is going to just get worse.

ON the other hand, dropping $1000 now could easily allow me to get paid back by starting ADSW for the National Guard a little earlier.

As for getting a job : I am in a Master's program right now, and can't work a job if I don't want to lose everything.

Once I am done with the program, I can work...but I would still be $1000 in the hole.

To all my friends still swimming in secondary applications, maybe this list can be of use to you? It's a compilation from my own secondary apps as well as previous posts on this thread. Still missing 5 secondary prompts, and if anyone knows what they are please add them. The 5 schools missing are KCUMB, NYCOM, UNTCOM, VCOM, and WVSOM.

List of Secondary Prompts for Class of 2013 Apps

1. ATSU-KCOM-

--What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less)
--What specific experience/exposure have you had with osteopathic medicine? How has this influenced your decision to become an osteopathic physician? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less)

2. ATSU-SOMA-

--What aspects of the Osteopathic Philosophy had the greatest influence in your decision to seek a career in Osteopathic Medicine? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less)
--What is your motivation for participating in the activities you have described in the clinical, volunteer and community service section? How have these experiences changed you? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less)
--How does your character, qualities, and experiences distinguish your ability and resolve to serve in underprivileged communities? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less)

3. AZCOM-

2. Why do you believe AZCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking? (1,500 characters)

3. Why should AZCOM accept you into this year's class? (1,500 characters)

* Employment History

4. CCOM-

2. Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking? (1,500 characters)

3. Why should CCOM accept you into this year's class? (1,500 characters)

* Employment History

5. DMU-

No prompt. Need to know who your D.O. letter writer is until you submit.

6. LECOM-E-

--Write a personal essay describing yourself and the qualities you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician
--Why are you interested in attending the LECOM College of Medicine to earn the degree of Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine?

7. LECOM-B-

Identical to LECOM-E secondary.

8. LMU-DCOM-

Please write and attach two short essays addressing the following questions:

A.) What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician?

B.) In your own life, which experiences and people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician?

9. KCUMB- ????????

10. MSUCOM

Describe a personal experience or ethical challenge you have faced that has influenced the development of your character. How has this experience helped you to develop specific skills and/or abilities that are essential to practicing osteopathic medicine?

11. NSU-

No prompt.

12. NYCOM- ???????

13. OU-

In the space provided below indicate: why you wish to become an osteopathic physician; why you wish to attend the Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine; and any additional information you feel the college should know about you. (space on app is one page)

14. OSU-

Please attach your response to the following in a separate document (limit- 2 pages).
1.) If not currently in school, describe present activity.
2.) How do you plan to finance your osteopathic medical education?
3.) It is assumed that on your AACOMAS application you stated your reasons for wanting to become an osteopathic physician. Please summarize these reasons.
4.) Why do you wish to attend the OSU college of osteopathic medicine?
5.) What unique characteristics, abilities or skills will you bring to the college and osteopathic profession?
6.) Is there any additional information you would like the college to know about you?

15. PCOM-GA-

A. Please attach a brief statement indicating why you wish to attend Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, and why you want to become an osteopathic physician.

B. What healthcare related experiences have you had?

16. PCOM-PA-

A. Please attach a brief statement indicating why you wish to attend Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, and why you want to become an osteopathic physician.

B. What healthcare related experiences have you had?

17. Pikeville-

A. Attach a separate sheet stating why you should be selected for training as a primary care, rural osteopathic physician.

18. PNWU-

Please write and attach a one page essay that addresses these 3 questions.

1. What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician?

2. Which experiences and people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician?

3. What inspired you to apply specifically to PNWU?

19. RVU-

--D.O. letter required
--No character limits stated
--If you have already graduated, please describe your work experience and community service activities since you were last enrolled in school. Feel free to attach resume.
--Were you employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate school? If yes, list employment.
--Why do you want to become an Osteopathic Physician?
--Why do you wish to attend Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine?
--What unique characteristics, abilities or skills will you bring to the College and to the Osteopathic Profession?

20. TOURO-CA-

Identical to Touro-NV secondary.

21. TOURO-NV-

- Explain why you have chose to apply to Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine (4 lines of space on app given for this).

-Why should the admissions committee accept you into this years class? (3 lines on app given for this).

-Describe the personal characteristics you possess and the life experiences you have had that would contribute to your becoming an outstanding osteopathic physician. Please include information that will enable the Admissions Committee to understand your unique qualities.

22. TOURO-NY-

-On a separate sheet of paper, type an essay discussing your aims in seeking admission to the College of Osteopathic Medicine. Include such items as your personal and academic background, your career goals, experiences which nurtured your interest in the health field and in the Osteopathic profession specifically, your “shadowing” experience, and any other factors which you feel are relevant to admission. (no more than 2 pages)

23. UMDNJ-

1. Explain the process by which you decided that osteopathic medicine was right for you?
2. How does the osteopathic profession fit into your professional goals and values?

* Please use font size 12 and limit your essay to one page. You may attach your essay to the application if additional space is needed.

24. UNTCOM-????????

25. UNE-

List ALL the medical schools (osteopathic and allopathic) to which you have applied in the past and/or are applying to this admissions cycle. List each school/college on separate line and include month/year of application.

Describe your particular interest in attending UNECOM and what brought you to your decision to apply. Reflect on the type of physician you want to become, and how UNECOM can help you reach your potential.

Describe any contact you have had with UNECOM students, alumni, faculty members, or clinicians, admissions/student affairs staff members, etc. How did these interactions influence your decision to apply?

Reflect on your involvement in healthcare, research, clubs, and community organizations. In light of all these experiences, how would you evaluate the strengths and weaknesses in your preparation to study and practice osteopathic medicine?

Please share any additions or changes since submitting your AACOMAS application. Include academic recognition, research achievements and/or publications, presentations, promotions or changes in employment, recent leadership or volunteer service, etc.

26. VCOM- ???????

27. Western-

Limit your answer to one page
1.) Please describe your motivation for training as an osteopathic physician. Comment specifically on your
academic performance and potential for study in Osteopathic Medicine. (1 page)
2.) Please describe your participation in community service activities and detail your participation, include any work in a medically underserved or economically disadvantaged community.

28. WVSOM-????????

Except that if I get stuck going to a D.O. school, I could end up in a specialty I don't like for the rest of my lifetime (and, incidentally, costing me $100,000+ per year for the rest of my life, if you factor in the huge disparities in pay between specialty)

In 2007 the match was heavily weighted against D.O. physicians for allopathic slots. With the large increase in D.O. class sizes that problem is going to just get worse.

ON the other hand, dropping $1000 now could easily allow me to get paid back by starting ADSW for the National Guard a little earlier.

Sounds like you've made up your mind...if you don't want to do DO, then don't. Seems pretty obvious.

IMO, if you want to go into X specialty, work your tail off and you will get there regardless of your degree.

I totally agree on the above post...

now for a direction change....

So while i wait (and wait and wait) for verification i was getting a head start on why DO/why this school/why do you think your prepped for med school etc essays.

Something that I did not mention in my PS was how after my first 1 1/2 years in undergrad I have a strong upward grade trend and even took all my post-bacc sciences all at once (chem/bio/phys then ochem in summer 12wks ending with 3.7) should I mention that in a CV or is there opportunity to expand on that in the secondaries?...i think its an important part of my application overall but didnt have the room on the primary.

thoughts?

Yeay, just got a call from LMU-DCOM for an interview in about a month. 2 interviews so far, I'm psyched!

I totally agree on the above post...

now for a direction change....

So while i wait (and wait and wait) for verification i was getting a head start on why DO/why this school/why do you think your prepped for med school etc essays.

Something that I did not mention in my PS was how after my first 1 1/2 years in undergrad I have a strong upward grade trend and even took all my post-bacc sciences all at once (chem/bio/phys then ochem in summer 12wks ending with 3.7) should I mention that in a CV or is there opportunity to expand on that in the secondaries?...i think its an important part of my application overall but didnt have the room on the primary.

thoughts?

Seems appropriate as a sentence or two in the academic portion of a CV, or better yet, in the ever popular "Why should we accept you" secondary essay. "I've proven that I can handle the rigors...blah blah."

I've got one that hopefully you guys can answer.

Will the DO schools that absolutely require a DO letter accept you in lieu of the letter, as long as you get one in quickly? Or at least interview without a letter?

I am frantically searching for someone to write one now. I thought there were only a couple DO schools that required a DO letter and that a MD letter would suffice...I was obviously wrong. What do you guys think?

Will the DO schools that absolutely require a DO letter accept you in lieu of the letter, as long as you get one in quickly? Or at least interview without a letter?

I am frantically searching for someone to write one now. I thought there were only a couple DO schools that required a DO letter and that a MD letter would suffice...I was obviously wrong. What do you guys think?

I know on vcom's website it says that you cannot be considered for an interview without a D.O. letter. Sorry but I'm not sure about other schools. Maybe others can chime in and help. Good luck with getting the letter!

7 schools require a DO letter. At least one or two of them (if not more) will interview (and maybe even accept) before you get it. Keep trying!

I just realized that I may have an issue with my application. I have taken all of the prereq courses, but at my undergrad university you take one lab after taking both semesters of lecture. This leaves me lacking 1 credit hour of organic chemistry. Is this going to keep me out of med school?

I just realized that I may have an issue with my application. I have taken all of the prereq courses, but at my undergrad university you take one lab after taking both semesters of lecture. This leaves me lacking 1 credit hour of organic chemistry. Is this going to keep me out of med school?

When do you plan on taking the lab, and when do you plan on attending med school?

Contact all of your schools. This might be a problem, but at least you'll have time to remedy it. You might have to take the labs at a CC before matriculation.

I'm not sure if this has been answered....

Is it possible to receive a secondary prior to receiving your MCAT score? If so, what school's, if any, are likely to do this?

Thanks.

I'm not sure if this has been answered....

Is it possible to receive a secondary prior to receiving your MCAT score? If so, what school's, if any, are likely to do this?

Thanks.

Yes, I have received 17 out of 25 secondary applications without the schools having my MCAT score yet. The other 8 are waiting for my MCAT.

I'm trying to write my secondary essays, and was wondering how much

overlap can I have from my primary application (i.e. 50%, 100%)?

I summed it up very well on my primary application of why I want to

become an osteopathic physician, and feel as if my secondary essays

won't be as strong as the primary unless I use the same material. Any

responses are appreciated.

Thanks a bunch. I'm hoping mine come in soon. I think i may just start writing them.

Tough call. I mean, they should be as strong as possible, but it would be nice if they weren't the exact same as the primary. Keep in mind that the secondary is a nice place to highlight some specific mutual interests between the program and yourself. This can also help you come up with some fresh, important things to write about.

I also talked a fair amount of why osteopathic in my primary so what I have been doing for the ubiquitous "why DO" essay/question is restated several of the attractive aspects of the field from my primary and then specifically stated things like "while shadowing osteopathic physicians I observed X Y and Z" and these experiences drew me etc etc etc. Just flesh it out and drawn on the more specific examples of why you want this. I doubt that you are not allowed to use anything from your primary, wouldnt make sense as you would have to have two separate reasons (one for each essay)

IamAriDO