Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just canceled my interview on the 11th. Hopefully someone will pick up my spot. Good luck to all those who are interviewing!

Members don't see this ad.

Does it matter if you have the last interview date? Do you still have a good chance of getting in? Is there anyone from previous years who know of anyone who got in who had the last interview date?

It does not matter if you have the last interview date or the first date. They do not do rolling admissions in the typical sense. They rank everyone by a point system based on GPA, PCAT score, and interview. I remember being told this during my interview and I do not think it has changed. They interview around 250 each year. According to the point system those in the top 80 - 90 spots are accepted. I was actually in the 10 or 11 am time slot on the last day of interviews. I think 3 people from my interview session were actually accepted so it does not matter. Also I was not even in the first round of acceptances. So there is always a chance. Go in there and do your best. Just remember from the time you set foot on the campus until you leave you are noticed and it could be considered part of the interview. Of course this is just my opinion

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as the point system goes, I believe it was:

GPA/PCAT - 15 points weighted
Recommendations - 10 points
Interview - 25 points.

I got a call this morning asking if I could come in at 2:30 today for an interview...too bad it was so last minute. I had to work and it's a 5+ hour drive for me, so it would be hard to get there. :(

At least I have interviews with UT and UH!:thumbup:

For those who are highly considering A&M as one of your top choices, I learned some things during the interview that they don't tell you unless you ask or observe them for yourself. First of all, unlike many other programs, students begin their rotations during their P2 year. Granted the opportunity to be able to start rotations early is a good thing but because Kingville is so small and desolate, the rotation sites are very limited. Unless you are very lucky to receive a close location, the majority of you will be commuting every Monday for 2 hours to and from your rotation sites. Another thing to consider is the amount of community service needed each semester. Texas A&M has by the far the most strenuous amount of mandatory community service hours needed in comparison to any other pharm program. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that community outreach is not important, but that much commitment I feel is not necessary. The time allocated into these activities can be better placed into other areas. Finally, personal questions to those currently attending that read these forums, how well prepared do you guys think you are for the NAPLEX? Having your first graduating class this Spring, you guys will have a lot on the line; one of these being full candidate accreditation status. While I was taking a tour, I asked the student who was giving the tour why the classes contained so few people. She told me that not all students attend class everyday; in other words do you guys ditch or are the lectures not as vital as independent study? Is attendance not mandatory for certain classes? I have heard that the professor-student relationship was spectacular but noticed that many of the students were not paying attention to the lecture. Clearly the lectures can't be so interesting where many of the students are enthusiastically smiling and diligently typing on their laptops. Not only were students not focused on what the professor was saying but there was eating and talking during the lecture. I could be harsh to judge because it was just a few minutes of observation but first impressions mean a lot. Because of this, I don't think I will consider A&M as my first choice school (or even a middle choice school) unless convinced otherwise. For any of those who are currently attending A&M please respond to this with what you think about these issues. It's just the impression I received while I was there.

There is a lot to respond to here:

First of all, unlike many other programs, students begin their rotations during their P2 year. Granted the opportunity to be able to start rotations early is a good thing but because Kingville is so small and desolate, the rotation sites are very limited. Unless you are very lucky to receive a close location, the majority of you will be commuting every Monday for 2 hours to and from your rotation sites.

IPPE Practice sites - Yes we do an institutional and community pharmacy practice experience during the second year. These could be anywhere from San Antonio to Brownsville. But also consider that Texas A&M is the only pharmacy school in South Texas and has chosen to serve this population. These are not considered APPE (advanced pharmacy practice experience) rotations. They are merely an introduction to pharmacy practice. Not everyone drives for 2 hours. I was in Corpus Christi last semester which was only an hour. This semester I'm in Alice. However this has just been my situation. Each person will have a different experience but that is just how the program runs.

.Another thing to consider is the amount of community service needed each semester. Texas A&M has by the far the most strenuous amount of mandatory community service hours needed in comparison to any other pharm program. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that community outreach is not important, but that much commitment I feel is not necessary. The time allocated into these activities can be better placed into other areas..
Community Service – During the first year there is a requirement to do 30 – 40 hours of service learning. This is the total for the year. The second year is 25 hours. However, the P2’s are all certified immunizers and much of the hours are done giving flu shots at various health fairs. There is also a prescription assistance program, CAMP Camp, Family planning, and other sites where we volunteer. This has all been recognized through the APhA’s national Project CHANCE award. We are striving to establish the College and the profession of pharmacy in South Texas and this is simply another means of doing that.

.Finally, personal questions to those currently attending that read these forums, how well prepared do you guys think you are for the NAPLEX? Having your first graduating class this Spring, you guys will have a lot on the line; one of these being full candidate accreditation status..
NAPLEX – We are graduating the first class in May and yes there is a lot of pressure on them. However, we are not a program that simply teaches to the test. It is also about extending yourself and applying the principles and what is taught. As for accreditation the ACPE is coming to do a review for Full Status in April. This is huge for the college. We have received exemplary marks from the ACPE for the program as it is and I would assume that Full Accreditation would be granted in June. However, we still need to go through the review and graduate a class.

.Is attendance not mandatory for certain classes?.

Classes – May response to classes is that they are important. Some of the faculty record the lectures and post them on-line for review. However, this does not excuse a person from coming to class. In my opinion, attendance is essential. Those who attend gain much more than those who do not. Much of the time we are tested on material that is not presented on lecture slides or in the textbook. All I can say is did you attend every lecture as an undergraduate? Did all of your classmates? How did they and you do? These things are going to happen at any school.

In summary I would not judge one 15 – 20 minute period as the whole basis for not coming to the school. There are aspects of the program that are not enjoyable. However, there are aspects of being a pharmacist that are not enjoyable either. It is a whole picture type scenario. Familiarize yourself with the whole program before calling into question certain specifics. There is a reason and purpose behind each class and activity. Overall I feel that I am receiving a good education and having some eye opening experiences through coming to Texas A&M. However, it is only because I put in effort to make the most of the time I have here. There are many here who are doing to exact same.

Does it matter if you have the last interview date? Do you still have a good chance of getting in? Is there anyone from previous years who know of anyone who got in who had the last interview date?

No. You could be at the top of the list and still be on the last day. I had the last interview dates for both of my interviews at two schools and got into both.

Odd question, but do the students have a mascot? TAMUK is the Javelinas, but TAMU is the Aggies, and TAMHSC is up in College Station. So are you Aggies?

We don't have a mascot. We get students from different schools (UT, etc.) So everyone usually sticks with the school they came from.

Oiy, wall of text.

I'm going to try to break this down into small bits too:

For those who are highly considering A&M as one of your top choices, I learned some things during the interview that they don't tell you unless you ask or observe them for yourself. First of all, unlike many other programs, students begin their rotations during their P2 year. Granted the opportunity to be able to start rotations early is a good thing but because Kingville is so small and desolate, the rotation sites are very limited. Unless you are very lucky to receive a close location, the majority of you will be commuting every Monday for 2 hours to and from your rotation sites.

Personally, I had a site that was literally 2 hours away from Kingsville, so I certainly understand the intimidation-factor of having to do that much driving during your second year. I think I had the misfortune of having one of the top 5 furthest sites from Kingsville. Despite the amount of driving that I had to do on a weekly basis, my grades did not suffer. By all means, I would have appreciated having the study time lost through my long weekly driving expeditions, but it is not a barrier that could not be worked around.

I do want to take this time to note that while you have to travel to your sites every Monday during your second year, you do not have classes on Monday, so there is no imminent need to rush to and fro. The trade-off to having weekly rotations, however, is that you do not have classes / mandatory introductory practice experience during one summer in pharmacy school. So, all of your summer breaks remain intact.

By all means, though, if you're not a big fan of driving, it is a consideration to be made. But, I do not feel that we are particularly secretive about it. You should also consider that there is a large amount of driving for most students doing their 4th year rotation at any college of pharmacy.

Another thing to consider is the amount of community service needed each semester. Texas A&M has by the far the most strenuous amount of mandatory community service hours needed in comparison to any other pharm program. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that community outreach is not important, but that much commitment I feel is not necessary. The time allocated into these activities can be better placed into other areas.
I'm not altogether certain of which pharmacy programs that you are comparing us to, so I can't really speak on that note. I will say that in your P1 year, you are required to perform 30 hours throughout the course of the year (so, usually 15 hours per semester).

Now, the prospect of sifting through a new city for volunteer hours might seem a bit daunting. It should be a bit of a comfort, then, that while students are free to find places of their own to perform patient-oriented service learning hours, all of the hours can be fulfilled by keeping an eye out for school-sponsored events. School organizations often set up blood pressure and glucose screenings at HEB, Walmart, CVS, and Walgreens. When the flu season rolls around, we usually touch base with area hospitals and pharmacies to help out with their flu shots. The hard part is just identifying weekends where you are willing to take 3-4 hours out of your morning to do some good to the community.

I will say that one of the defining reasons of why the College of Pharmacy was opened in Kingsville was so that it could access the South Texas population. The South Texas Coastal Bend region is a medically underprivileged region. The incidence of diabetes, hypertension, and cardiovascular-related diseases is elevated with respects to not just the rest of the state, but the nation in general. The goal of community outreach is important to the existence of this college. I don't feel that participating in these activities has been a terrible burden on my semesters. If anything, it may feel a bit repetitious and drole by the 30th hour, but I don't think it would cause any literal problems. Likewise, I would say that an individual would need to feel a certain antipathy against community service to find the service learning problematic.

Finally, personal questions to those currently attending that read these forums, how well prepared do you guys think you are for the NAPLEX? Having your first graduating class this Spring, you guys will have a lot on the line; one of these being full candidate accreditation status.
Personally, I'm only in my second year, so it may be a bit presumptuous for me to speak on that matter. Although Texas A&M is still a new school, I feel that I've received a strong education. Certainly, I have my favorite professors, and as such I prefer some professors over others. However, I feel like each lecturer knows their stuff, and in that sense, I have no worries.

As for the accreditation status, I've read from numerous people, and even some threads on SDN in the past, that the toughest part on the ACPE accreditation process is the transition from pre-candidate to candidate status. As you probably know, Texas A&M is in the candidate status, and its next step is full-accreditation which requires a final inspection along with the graduation of its first class. An ACPE committee will be visiting us for a scheduled meeting in April as part of the certification for full accreditation status, so I can only infer that things are going smoothly in that regard.

While I was taking a tour, I asked the student who was giving the tour why the classes contained so few people. She told me that not all students attend class everyday; in other words do you guys ditch or are the lectures not as vital as independent study? Is attendance not mandatory for certain classes? I have heard that the professor-student relationship was spectacular but noticed that many of the students were not paying attention to the lecture. Clearly the lectures can't be so interesting where many of the students are enthusiastically smiling and diligently typing on their laptops. Not only were students not focused on what the professor was saying but there was eating and talking during the lecture. I could be harsh to judge because it was just a few minutes of observation but first impressions mean a lot. Because of this, I don't think I will consider A&M as my first choice school (or even a middle choice school) unless convinced otherwise. For any of those who are currently attending A&M please respond to this with what you think about these issues. It's just the impression I received while I was there.
I'm not sure which day you were visiting, but if it was a Thursday afternoon, then you were visiting at a time where students had their electives, especially if you saw that most of the classroom was "missing." Depending on the elective, the class enrollment ranges anywhere from a handful of students to roughly 40 students (and the two smaller classrooms have a capacity of roughly 100 students, whereas the large classroom holds much more).

I won't duck the fact, though, that some students do skip class. On this matter, though, I feel that this reflects more on the student than it does on the school. I know a well-accomplished friend who attended UT-Austin and did a residency with Scott & White, and she would often skip classes on the day before an exam to study and catch up on material. I know someone else who goes to the University of Houston's pharmacy school who will occasionally miss class as well, particularly for '[crappy] professors.' And, while I did an internship with CVS last summer in the Dallas area, I met people from UIW and Texas Tech who would reminesce on leaving campus right after an exam so they could sleep things off after pulling an all-nighter. The fact of the matter is that every school has people who skip class, and Texas A&M is not immune from this, even among professors who have an excellent rapport with students.

I do feel that you are being unnecessarily critical, and perhaps intentionally glib, if you are levying the criticism that "lectures can't be so interesting" so that "many of the students are enthusiastically smiling." Even in a good lecture, a person only smiles transiently, passing from expressions of interest, to amusement, back to critical thinking, and then likely back into some sort of generic holding-pattern expression. Some lecturers are better than others, and some students do become fatigued and grow tired as the day draws out. I will tell you too, though, that when I am genuinely interested, I don't do any of the things that you've mentioned, so you might be prejudicing the situation.

As a small side-note, officially and originally, food was not allowed in classrooms. However, since a lot of days run a bit long, and because students will occasionally not be able to catch lunch due to their participation in school organizations which may cause them to miss lunch, the school relaxed its stance on food inside classrooms. The school likes to emphasize its student-centric approach to education, and I think this is just one of several examples of how the school adapted itself to its students.

I hope my responses have provided a little bit of insight into what you may have observed during your interview and visit. Though I am sorry to hear that you found so many things disagreeable with your visit, I do hope that you find what you're looking for out there.

Best of wishes.

--Garfield3d

Last edited:
I was assuming there'd be more school spirit than that. That's a shame.

Unfortunately (actually, I would say fortunately), we're not affiliated with any particular mascot. This was actually an issue when we were making shirts for the school that had "Aggie" on them. Because the College of Pharmacy is under the Texas A&M Health Science Center, and because the Health Science Center is not the same entity as Texas A&M University, it was not something that we could use.

Similarly, since the COP is under the HSC, and not Texas A&M Kingsville, we're not Javelinas either.

If the past has been any indication, though, this isn't going to stop us from making flippant class shirts.

But, when it comes to class identity, it's basically a hodge-podge of what everyone came out with during undergraduate school. People from UT-Austin tend to identify with the Longhorns, and we have a good amount of people from College Station who also identify with the Aggies. There are a few Baylor Bears and random other places strewn about, but the Longhorns and Aggies are the two big ones. On a per-person basis, though, I think most people identify with their undergraduate loyalties more than anything else when they hit professional and graduate school. I have friends who went to Virginia, Florida, and Georgia Tech who still identify as being a UT Longhorn. That seems to be what's carried over with us so far.

--Garfield3d

Members don't see this ad :)
My interview experience at A&M was quite enjoyable. The faculties, staffs, and students were all very helpful and friendly. I had a panel of 3 interviewers who were all very nice and quite funny! I think I enjoyed my interview a bit too much because I started joking around with them too (which I don't know is a good thing or not). :confused: I am now afraid that I should have been more serious. Overall, I like the school and the people there very much. :) The interview process was short and sweet with an optional tour at the end. It was only around 2 hrs or so. I left feeling relaxed and :D. Now, I have to wait for the result in early April. :xf:

Getting excited about the interview. Who sits on the panel? I think someone mentioned you were being questioned by 4 different people.

It really all depends but generally there are 1 - 2 faculty members, 1 pharmacist from the area, and a P3 student. I think that is how it is going this year. Afterward there is a question and answer session for about 10 - 20 minutes with current students. Hope this helps. Good luck.

I took my PCAT in January and got a higher score than what they see. Is the January score at all going to put into account? Should I bring it up in the interview?

The same thing happened to me. I did way better on the January PCAT than in my previous attempts. You should send scores directly from Pearson if you haven't done so already. Take a copy with you to the interview to give to office administrator so they can update your info. They said that it would be taken into account although my score did not reach them by the deadline.

Where would I find the office administrator at? Should I just ask someone?

Just be yourself. Everyone there is very welcoming and nice. You'll be surprised how fast the interview is over, so enjoy your time there while you can.

That's what I heard. Pretty relaxed environment. Comes with the rural, small-town feel. Masks the professionalism behind it all, which is clever. Get interviewees at their most vulnerable, which was not intended in the first place, but it works well.

Heard about a point system, saw something earlier in this thread, but I might have heard there was more to it.

Also, writing exercise - was the same prompt assigned to everyone, or was it different for everyone?

Last edited:
I'm kind of surprised. The earlier-mentioned point system indicated that the interview was the biggest factor.

Well, Dr. Robertson mentioned this before we were split into the essay/interview groups, so I believe there's probably a differentiation in the interview score for the essay.

Also, writing exercise - was the same prompt assigned to everyone, or was it different for everyone?

You pick the prompt from a basket. It's pretty much random.

Last edited:
Dr. Robertson called me and I have an interview on the 18th! :thumbup:

good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow and friday! make sure you get enough sleep and don't stress over it too much!:)

Dr. Robertson called me and I have an interview on the 18th! :thumbup:

Congrats! I know you were waiting on it, so it's good to hear that you received an interview invite.

That's what I heard. Pretty relaxed environment. Comes with the rural, small-town feel. Masks the professionalism behind it all, which is clever. Get interviewees at their most vulnerable, which was not intended in the first place, but it works well.

Haha, I've never looked at it that way, but I suppose there's logic in that. I would say that you don't want to be completely relaxed to the point where you're treating it like a normal day. At the same time, while you want to be on-the-ball, don't take things to the point where you're trying to micromanage all of your actions. I would say that... er, gently elevated discretion is the sweet spot.

Good luck to everyone with interviews tomorrow! Maybe I'll see some of you.

--Garfield3d

Last edited:
Congrats! I know you were waiting on it, so it's good to hear that you received an interview invite.

Haha, I've never looked at it that way, but I suppose there's logic in that. I would say that you don't want to be completely relaxed to the point where you're treating it like a normal day. At the same time, while you want to be on-the-ball, don't take things to the point where you're trying to micromanage all of your actions. I would say that... er, gently elevated discretion is the sweet spot.

Good luck to everyone with interviews tomorrow! Maybe I'll see some of you.

--Garfield3d
Yeah, that's exactly why I stated the situation as, after getting info on K-ville. I'm prepared to be cool, confident, and as you put it, have a "gently elevated discretion".

@ pharm B - Morning

Is getting there 30 minutes ahead of time too early? Seems like it would be just right. I might just play brickbreaker in my car :D
30 minutes sounds just fine. That's what I will be doing (not the brickbreaker part lol). Have fun.

--Garfield3d

So don't be uptight or robotic, eh Garfield? Good advice heheh.

Is that how you remember your interview?

I was in the 10:30 group. How about you?

I Q&A'd with one of the groups at 3:40 today. Those guys were on their game. Tough competition if you want to top them.

I did the same with a group last Friday who didn't seem as inquisitive at first. Its strange how groups develop a personality in just a short time period. It happens with the classes too. Our P1s, P2s, P3s, and P4s each have different class persona so to speak.

First off, which one were you? (Don't mention name, just mention a defining facial characteristic or something you mentioned that I might remember when I was there lol)

Second, I think it went all right. I would say well, but I don't wanna jinx it. Liked it better than Tech's interview.

So don't be uptight or robotic, eh Garfield? Good advice heheh.

Is that how you remember your interview?

I rambled a bit in my interview, so I was pretty elevated at the time.

Shadow, when did you interview? It felt like I was the only one in my group that used sdn.

Garfield, it was a pleasure to finally meet you!

It was good to meet you in person too! After throwing out a few topics from SDN during the Q&A session, it became a bit easier to figure things out.

Hope to see you around next year.

I'm kind of surprised. The earlier-mentioned point system indicated that the interview was the biggest factor.

This might be of interest to everyone interviewing, but here's the following point breakdown for candidate evaluation:

15 points - PCAT
15 points - GPA
10 points - Recommendations (all 3 of them together)
10 points - Essay (done on the day of the interview)
25 points - Interview itself

That leads to a total of 75 points on the board.

And this information comes courtesy of... well, PharmB.

--Garfield3d

First off, which one were you? (Don't mention name, just mention a defining facial characteristic or something you mentioned that I might remember when I was there lol)

Second, I think it went all right. I would say well, but I don't wanna jinx it. Liked it better than Tech's interview.

I was sitting pretty much in the center of the fish bowl when you came in.