Helping me rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDofthefuture

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd love to hear how others would rank these programs (for someone thinking about cards/GI). Or if you have any insight/thoughts about them. Thanks! :D

(In no particular order)

Univ Washington
OHSU
Stanford
Cedars Sinai
UCLA-Harbor
UC-Irvine
UCSD
UT Southwestern
Washington Univ
Mount Sinai
Duke
Univ of Colorado
Univ of Arizona

Members don't see this ad.

1. Duke
2. Stanford
3. Washington U
4. Cedar-Sinai
would be a start

Members don't see this ad :)
Cedars Sinai above UW, UTSW, Colorado, UCSD?!!!!

greeneyes23 said:
1. Duke
2. Stanford
3. Washington U
4. Cedar-Sinai
would be a start

1. duke
2.wash u
3. utsw
4. stanford
5. UW
6. ohsu
7.UCSD

of programs i've been to:

-uw, harbor-ucla, stanford
-ucsd, ohsu
-cedars-sinai
-uci

just my opinions. and yes, i will stand by harbor being up there on top.

from what i've heard, utsw and duke should probably be on that top line.
dunno much about the others.

Why do you feel so strongly about Harbor?

doof said:
of programs i've been to:

-uw, harbor-ucla, stanford
-ucsd, ohsu
-cedars-sinai
-uci

just my opinions. and yes, i will stand by harbor being up there on top.

from what i've heard, utsw and duke should probably be on that top line.
dunno much about the others.

harbor-ucla has an unbeatable reputation on the west coast - i've heard the moniker "bulletproof" used to describe harbor residents/grads because the clinical training truly prepares them for anything. as a county hospital, it's not much to look at...but the pts you see are often young, undiagnosed, with fantastic pathology - and you get an amazing amount of autonomy. there seems to be a real sense of camaraderie among the housestaff (yes, they work their asses off, and it seems to be an "in the trenches" type thing) - which most programs will claim to have, but i've truly only seen at here and a couple of other places. and for the bottom line, the grads go on to impressive fellowships (i remember lots of GI, cards, and heme-onc). plus it's near the beach!

again: just my opinions. personally, i was more impressed by harbor than the main ucla program.

i think that the top 2 programs in los angeles are UCLA related and would have to include CHS and Harbor. There is no question that you will be very well trained at either program and get a competitive fellowship if you so desire, but there are very different in their feel and the culture that exists there. i think that both are top notch programs and you can't really go wrong with either.

doof said:
harbor-ucla has an unbeatable reputation on the west coast - i've heard the moniker "bulletproof" used to describe harbor residents/grads because the clinical training truly prepares them for anything. as a county hospital, it's not much to look at...but the pts you see are often young, undiagnosed, with fantastic pathology - and you get an amazing amount of autonomy. there seems to be a real sense of camaraderie among the housestaff (yes, they work their asses off, and it seems to be an "in the trenches" type thing) - which most programs will claim to have, but i've truly only seen at here and a couple of other places. and for the bottom line, the grads go on to impressive fellowships (i remember lots of GI, cards, and heme-onc). plus it's near the beach!

again: just my opinions. personally, i was more impressed by harbor than the main ucla program.

You have to look at each institution for what you want. Personally most of us on the west coast, UCSD/HARBOR/UCLA/Stanford/SF all have reasons for coming out here. You couldn't pay any of us enough to live in St. Louis, Durham NC, or Columbus Ohio, so by that criteria, there are residents here at Cedars/Scripps that could have gone to Wash U. or OHSU, Duke, wherever. So the residents are more competitive so thereby your education is better, better conferences, teaching, learning. With very high learning curves for each program. Bottom line is if you arent worried about geography, go to the best program like UTSW or St. Louis, I just don't know too many folks who don't care about geography.

Just a thought
:)

golytlely said:
You have to look at each institution for what you want. Personally most of us on the west coast, UCSD/HARBOR/UCLA/Stanford/SF all have reasons for coming out here. You couldn't pay any of us enough to live in St. Louis, Durham NC, or Columbus Ohio, so by that criteria, there are residents here at Cedars/Scripps that could have gone to Wash U. or OHSU, Duke, wherever. So the residents are more competitive so thereby your education is better, better conferences, teaching, learning. With very high learning curves for each program. Bottom line is if you arent worried about geography, go to the best program like UTSW or St. Louis, I just don't know too many folks who don't care about geography.

Just a thought
:)

and(gasp) there are even people who LOVE durham, NC