"Help Me Rank" IM 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone! Visa requiring IMG applying for categorical IM here. My aim is to get into a cardio fellowship. Other important factors are QoL, reputation, research opportunities, and location (in that order). This is the tentative ROL that I made. I understand that it is a mix of uni and community programs, but that is because of visa considerations. Would appreciate your input on any changes to my list. Thanks!
  1. Tufts medical center, Boston (J1)
  2. University of Arkansas(UAMS) (H1)
  3. Cook County, Chicago (H1)
  4. Einstein Philly (H1)
  5. University of Oklahoma (J1)
  6. University Hospitals, Columbia (Missouri) (J1)
  7. Detroit Medical Centre, Wayne State University (J1)
  8. UCSF Fresno (J1)
  9. Bridgeport Hospital, Connecticut (H1)
  10. BUMC, Dallas (J1)
  11. AMITA/St Francis (H1)
*Confused between 1 and 2 - Tufts is a cardio powerhouse, but Boston COL is high and it's a busy program (vs) UAMS offers an H1 visa and has in-house cardio that I may be able to crack into.
*Confused between 3 and 4 - Both have great fellowship matches. Cook County is in a better city, but Einstein Philly may be better for QoL.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I'm looking for advice on how to adjust my rank list. I am planning on applying for a cards fellowship after residency. No preference on location though I am based in the Midwest.

1. CWRU
2. Ohio State
3. Iowa
4. CCF
5. Montefiore (Moses/Weiler)
6. Utah
7. U of Rochester
8. Kentucky
9. MCW
10. Henry Ford (Detroit)
11. Beaumont (Royal Oak)
12. Spectrum Health (Grand Rapids)
13. Tulane
14. WVU
15. DMC/Wayne State

Hello everyone, I am a USMD applying to categorical IM aiming for PCCM or CC fellowship eventually. I posted my rank list earlier but have rearranged it a bit. My number 1 priority is quality of life, 2nd priority is fellowship match to PCCM/CC. Below is my tentative ranking, any and all help very appreciated.

1. Stonybrook
2. Vermont

3. University of Arizona Tuscon
4. SUNY Upstate
5. SUNY Buffalo
6. Westchester Medical Center (heard westchester has perhaps not the best work culture)
7. Albany
8. SIU (Southern Illinois University)
9. Greenwhich Hospital Program
10. Creighton University

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I'm looking for advice on how to adjust my rank list. I am planning on applying for a cards fellowship after residency. No preference on location though I am based in the Midwest.

1. CWRU
2. Ohio State
3. Iowa
4. CCF
6. Utah
7. U of Rochester
8. Kentucky
9. MCW
10. Henry Ford (Detroit)
11. Beaumont (Royal Oak)
13. Tulane
14. WVU
15. DMC/Wayne State
I'd personally have Utah, tOSU and Iowa as 1-3 with the Cleveland programs and Monte 4-6 in some order. But your list is fine if that's how you liked them.

Reactions: 1 user
Anything that may be altered on my tentative rank order list for training strength/fellowship opportunities? @gutonc @CanIMakeIt

U Utah
Indiana
Miami
CCF
Wake Forest
Tulane
MUSC
Mayo J
Zucker NSLIJ
Kentucky
Rutgers NJMS
Penn State
MCG
Mt. Sinai Beth Israel (rumors of downsize/shutdown?)
Agree with gutonc
i would put Wake Forest higher as well as Penn State
Utah
Indiana
Wake
CCF
Penn State
miami
Tulane
MUSC
….. rest

1. CWRU
2. Ohio State
3. Iowa
4. CCF
6. Utah
7. U of Rochester
8. Kentucky
9. MCW
10. Henry Ford (Detroit)
11. Beaumont (Royal Oak)
13. Tulane
14. WVU
15. DMC/Wayne State
Ohio State likes their own residents so that may come in handy - work hard and stay - good education
CCF usually doesn’t take their own - in the past 1-2 out of 10
rochester
Utah …

Hello everyone! Visa requiring IMG applying for categorical IM here. My aim is to get into a cardio fellowship. Other important factors are QoL, reputation, research opportunities, and location (in that order). This is the tentative ROL that I made. I understand that it is a mix of uni and community programs, but that is because of visa considerations. Would appreciate your input on any changes to my list. Thanks!
  4. Einstein Philly (H1)
  8. UCSF Fresno (J1)
  10. BUMC, Dallas (J1)
*Confused between 1 and 2 - Tufts is a cardio powerhouse, but Boston COL is high and it's a busy program (vs) UAMS offers an H1 visa and has in-house cardio that I may be able to crack into.
*Confused between 3 and 4 - Both have great fellowship matches. Cook County is in a better city, but Einstein Philly may be better for QoL.
Any takers ? :hello:

I'd swap Wake and Miami, and move Penn State up a bit. But it's fine as is if that's how you liked them. Utah and Indy are the two "best" programs on the list for sure.
Agree with gutonc
i would put Wake Forest higher as well as Penn State
Utah
Indiana
Wake
CCF
Penn State
miami
Tulane
MUSC
….. rest
Thank you for the input @gutonc @CanIMakeIt, greatly appreciated. Why Penn State higher up?

it certainly should be higher than where it is. Smaller program - usually likes their own; have a fellow attending from there - good training

what fellowship are you looking at?
Thank you, that sounds good. I moved it up, was just curious as it was hard to gauge via zoom interviews this season. I plan on Cards. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Ohio State likes their own residents so that may come in handy - work hard and stay - good education
CCF usually doesn’t take their own - in the past 1-2 out of 10
rochester
Utah …
Thank you @CanIMakeIt and @gutonc for the input. I have CWRU locked at #1 based on fit but I will definitely be moving Utah higher up my list.

4. Einstein Philly (H1)
  8. UCSF Fresno (J1)
  10. BUMC, Dallas (J1)
one thing that you need to keep in mind is the visa type - there are fellowship programs that will not take certain kinds of visas so be cognizant of that - especially the ones that have in-house fellowship and you want to match into - IM will give you H1 and then fellowship won't sponsor H1 just a scenario. Usually J1 is more flexible but then you run into time constraints if you do not match one year. Similarly some fellowships will not sponsor H1. Look more into this and then rearrange your choices J1 above H1s or vice versa

my $0.02 - You want to go to a more hands-on program so you can learn upfront - QoL you can look for when you look for job - right now your focus should be learning as much as you can (besides cardiology - they will teach you cards in fellowship - so don't try to become a cardiologist in your residency) and become an excellent IM doctor first - then strive to be an excellent cardiologist in fellowship :)

regarding Tufts being powerhouse - remember there are a lot of big names in Boston - that does dilute it a little

Training wise, BUMC should be much higher IMHO. i think the strongest programs are tufts, cook, Baylor - not sure about Wayne state; then Arkansa, Oklahoma, Columbia, Einstein and rest

good luck

Training wise, BUMC should be much higher IMHO. i think the strongest programs are tufts, cook, Baylor - not sure about Wayne state; then Arkansa, Oklahoma, Columbia, Einstein and rest

good luck

Curious/interesting that you rank BUMC higher than some of those other programs

Members don't see this ad :)
Curious/interesting that you rank BUMC higher than some of those other programs
Hi Obiwan - long time, haven’t seen you in a while (but to be accurate, i don’t come here that often anymore) -

I know that training baylor-Dallas is pretty good from a few people who went there for fellowship - earlier was a community college but now with Scott and white maybe will have better reputation

But this was some time back - please feel free to correct me but I still consider it a good program unless things have changed that drastically there

Last edited:
Thank you @CanIMakeIt. Much appreciated.
I always thought Einstein Philly and Cook county were pretty well matched. Einstein's fellowship match this year was phenomenal.

Hey guys, I'd appreciate some help with my rank list. I feel pretty unsure and keep swapping the order from 3-14. I am primarily focusing on location (Texas), my "gut" feel after interviews, and fellowship match opportunities. I do plan on sub-specializing in something like rheumatology or endocrinology (likely not something very competitive like cardiology and GI), but am unsure at the moment, so I wanted training at strong programs to leave my doors open in the future. Some reasons for lower rankings were, for example, too many (3+) EMRs, traditional block curriculums (vs. X+Y), and poor interview experiences. I also feel a bit bad about BUMC as it has the best location, lifestyle, and culture to me, but the fellowship matches are somewhat under average (maybe because it's not as prestigious/a community program) and they lack some in-house fellowships (e.g., rheumatology, endocrinology). Thank you much!

1. Baylor Houston
2. UT Houston
3. UT San Antonio
4. Mayo Rochester
5. OHSU
6. Iowa
7. Wake Forest
8. University of Utah
9. University of Illinois
10. Loyola
11. Indiana University
12. VCU
13. BUMC (Baylor Dallas)
14. UTMB

Hey everyone!! I am a DO, with interest in pursuing a cardiology fellowship after residency. I'm having some debate on which to rank higher between Broward Health, Franciscan Health Olympia Fields, and Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine IM. I would appreciate your thoughts and comments on both programs. Thank you very much! Hoping all of you the best!

Hey guys, I'd appreciate some help with my rank list. I feel pretty unsure and keep swapping the order from 3-14. I am primarily focusing on location (Texas), my "gut" feel after interviews, and fellowship match opportunities. I do plan on sub-specializing in something like rheumatology or endocrinology (likely not something very competitive like cardiology and GI), but am unsure at the moment, so I wanted training at strong programs to leave my doors open in the future. Some reasons for lower rankings were, for example, too many (3+) EMRs, traditional block curriculums (vs. X+Y), and poor interview experiences. I also feel a bit bad about BUMC as it has the best location, lifestyle, and culture to me, but the fellowship matches are somewhat under average (maybe because it's not as prestigious/a community program) and they lack some in-house fellowships (e.g., rheumatology, endocrinology). Thank you much!

1. Baylor Houston
2. UT Houston
3. UT San Antonio
4. Mayo Rochester
5. OHSU
6. Iowa
7. Wake Forest
8. University of Utah
9. University of Illinois
10. Loyola
11. Indiana University
12. VCU
13. BUMC (Baylor Dallas)
14. UTMB

As the resident Texan, your first 3 are reasonable in how you rank them particularly if your primary criteria is being in Texas for residency. However, if you are at all open to being elsewhere, you might consider inserting some of the places you interviewed like tOSU/Utah/Indiana/Iowa above UTSA but by no means necessary. Also, as someone who actually works at BUMC and has direct interaction with the residency program, I do not fault you for putting it in the 2nd half of your list and definitely would not rank it ahead of several of your out of state programs including your 4-8/Indiana which are all quite solid traditional academic programs

As the resident Texan, your first 3 are reasonable in how you rank them particularly if your primary criteria is being in Texas for residency. However, if you are at all open to being elsewhere, you might consider inserting some of the places you interviewed like tOSU/Utah/Indiana/Iowa above UTSA but by no means necessary. Also, as someone who actually works at BUMC and has direct interaction with the residency program, I do not fault you for putting it in the 2nd half of your list and definitely would not rank it ahead of several of your out of state programs including your 4-8/Indiana which are all quite solid traditional academic programs
Thank you so much! Yes, I will definitely consider moving other programs higher. At the end of the end of the day, even if I attend UTSA, I'll still be a 4.5 hour drive from close family and friends, so visiting them wouldn't really be different from taking a flight. A few questions for you: do you think UT Houston has a strong enough fellowship match/reputation to stay at its place as #2 (considering location too)? And the main reason I placed Indiana and Utah a bit lower were because they both utilize 3 EMRs and Indiana has a partial traditional curriculum. I've only worked with a single EMR (Epic) and was worried that trying to learn new ones might hinder me. Do you think these are sufficient reasons (or have any personal experience/knowledge about working with multiple EMRs) to place them lower?

Hello everyone, I am D.O student from Texas. I am interested in fellowships specifically PCCM or GI and having a tough time ranking. I would also love to stay in Texas if possible but main priority is fellowship chances. Here is what my list looks like currently;

1. UT Houston
2. UF Shands Gainesville
3. Rush
4. UT Austin Dell
5. Baylor Scott & White Temple
6. SIU
7. University of Mississippi
8. Texas Tech El Paso
9. Methodist Dallas
10 Brown/Kent
11. Christus Longview
12. UT RGV Harlingen (Originally had 10 spots then dropped to 5 after interview season. They emailed us to notify before ranking. Not sure what that was about)
13. UCF Orlando
14. Rutgers-Newark Beth Israel NJ

Thank you!

Thank you so much! Yes, I will definitely consider moving other programs higher. At the end of the end of the day, even if I attend UTSA, I'll still be a 4.5 hour drive from close family and friends, so visiting them wouldn't really be different from taking a flight. A few questions for you: do you think UT Houston has a strong enough fellowship match/reputation to stay at its place as #2 (considering location too)? And the main reason I placed Indiana and Utah a bit lower were because they both utilize 3 EMRs and Indiana has a partial traditional curriculum. I've only worked with a single EMR (Epic) and was worried that trying to learn new ones might hinder me. Do you think these are sufficient reasons (or have any personal experience/knowledge about working with multiple EMRs) to place them lower?
I think its OK to leave UT Houston as your number 2 taking everything into consideration. It probably doesn't have as strong of a fellowship match compared to say Mayo Clinic but you couldn't pay me 100 bitcoin to live in Rochester. As far as the EMR thing, that should not at all be a deciding factor. Sure it can be annoying when you have to work with something different and clunkier than Epic but its really not a big deal. I didn't apply to any of those out of state places that you have on your list but I believe a majority of them include rotating at the local VA hospital so you should be able to master CPRS in 1-2 call cycles unless you are completely computer-illiterate. I trained at a program that used Epic at 2 places and then we worked at the VA too.

Last edited:
Help me rank - IM, interested in fellowship + academic medicine.

Columbia
BIDMC
NYU
Yale

Care most about the strength of the program, fellowship opportunities, and a supportive culture in the program.

I think its OK to leave UT Houston as your number 2 taking everything into consideration. It probably doesn't have as strong of a fellowship match compared to say Mayo Clinic but you couldn't pay me 100 bitcoin to live in Rochester. As far as the EMR thing, that should not at all be a deciding factor. Sure it can be annoying when you have to work with something different and clunkier than Epic but its really not a big deal. I didn't apply to any of those out of state places that you have on your list but I believe a majority of them include rotating at the local VA hospital so you should be able to master CPRS in 1-2 call cycles unless you are completely computer-illiterate. I trained at a program that used Epic at 2 places and then we worked at the VA too.
Haha got it! I'm actually attending school in a not-so-great city so literally anywhere else would likely be an improvement. And I appreciate the advice on the EMRs too. I thought it was such a shame such a small thing was holding me back. I will definitely re-order and reconsider my list. Thanks so much for your time and input, it's been a huge help.

Help me rank - IM, interested in fellowship + academic medicine.

Columbia
BIDMC
NYU
Yale

Care most about the strength of the program, fellowship opportunities, and a supportive culture in the program.
Washington Wizards Bruhh GIF by NBC Sports Washington

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone, I am D.O student from Texas. I am interested in fellowships specifically PCCM or GI and having a tough time ranking. I would also love to stay in Texas if possible but main priority is fellowship chances. Here is what my list looks like currently;

1. UT Houston
2. UF Shands Gainesville
3. Rush
4. UT Austin Dell
5. Baylor Scott & White Temple
6. SIU
7. University of Mississippi
8. Texas Tech El Paso
9. Methodist Dallas
10 Brown/Kent
11. Christus Longview
12. UT RGV Harlingen (Originally had 10 spots then dropped to 5 after interview season. They emailed us to notify before ranking. Not sure what that was about)
13. UCF Orlando
14. Rutgers-Newark Beth Israel NJ

Thank you!
That looks fine particularly your top 5

Hey all - thanks in advance for advice here. Am deciding between the below 4 programs. I am undecided if I will pursue fellowship (likely GI or Cards) vs become hospitalist / do primarily non-clinical work in industry. Location (big city, ideally west coast) is a strong priority for me, but I also want to be at a program that I feel will not "close doors" / make fellowship match difficult, should I choose to go that route. E.g. decent research prospects, engaged faculty / leadership, good reputation, etc.

1. UChicago (strongest program, and I like Chicago as a city)
2. Kaiser Permanente San Francisco (I love SF, got good vibes at the program, think getting plugged in with Kaiser Permanente may be beneficial to me in the future as I am interested in health system administration)
3. Cedars Sinai (a little bit less sure about the quality of the program / fellowship prospects, but very much like the idea of living in LA)
4. Utah (I have a lot of respect for the program, but ultimately my gut feeling is that I may not be that happy living in SLC)

Any thoughts? I guess my primary question is if I am making a big mistake not ranking Utah above the CA programs in terms of quality of training and fellowship prospects.

Hey all - thanks in advance for advice here. Am deciding between the below 4 programs. I am undecided if I will pursue fellowship (likely GI or Cards) vs become hospitalist / do primarily non-clinical work in industry. Location (big city, ideally west coast) is a strong priority for me, but I also want to be at a program that I feel will not "close doors" / make fellowship match difficult, should I choose to go that route. E.g. decent research prospects, engaged faculty / leadership, good reputation, etc.

1. UChicago (strongest program, and I like Chicago as a city)
2. Kaiser Permanente San Francisco (I love SF, got good vibes at the program, think getting plugged in with Kaiser Permanente may be beneficial to me in the future as I am interested in health system administration)
3. Cedars Sinai (a little bit less sure about the quality of the program / fellowship prospects, but very much like the idea of living in LA)
4. Utah (I have a lot of respect for the program, but ultimately my gut feeling is that I may not be that happy living in SLC)

Any thoughts? I guess my primary question is if I am making a big mistake not ranking Utah above the CA programs in terms of quality of training and fellowship prospects.
I think you are. But if that's how you liked them and how you want to rank them, that's OK too.

I think you are. But if that's how you liked them and how you want to rank them, that's OK too.
Can you elaborate? Would really value your perspective on perceptions vis-a-vis the different programs and the tradeoffs.

Can you elaborate? Would really value your perspective on perceptions vis-a-vis the different programs and the tradeoffs.
I just think that Utah is really a top-flight program. It's definitely "better" than your 2 Cali programs. But the "best" program for you is the one you'll thrive in. So if you think you're going to thrive more at Cedars or Kaiser SF than at Utah, then that's the right choice for you.

I'm a FMG from a European country where I could carve out a comfortable career with great work-life balance.
I would very happily match into either of my top 2 choices, where for #1 I suspect I have a relatively low chance of matching and #2 feels like a 50/50. My aim after residency is likely going to be a fellowship in Pulm/CC.

I'm now internally debating ranking of the following Boston and NYC community programs: 3. Mount Auburn Hospital, 4. Salem Hospital and 5. Mount Sinai West / SLR. They all seem like relatively solid programs. I've gotten good vibes mainly from MAH and Salem on interview day. They both have fellowship placements that are okay while MSW has a better track record but QoL would probably be lower there in my view.

My worry is that my goal of fellowship at a mid-tier university program would at the above programs require work and effort to the degree of misery. I'm not shy of hard work but I know my top 2 choices would allow me a decent amount of free time. I also fear matching into a 'safety program' would decrease my motivation which would be a recipe for failure.

Obviously only ranking 2 programs is a huge gamble. I know no one can tell me what to decide but hoping someone can speak to my expectation of residency at these community Boston and NYC programs in light of my fellowship goal?

I'm a FMG from a European country where I could carve out a comfortable career with great work-life balance.
I would very happily match into either of my top 2 choices, where for #1 I suspect I have a relatively low chance of matching and #2 feels like a 50/50. My aim after residency is likely going to be a fellowship in Pulm/CC.

I'm now internally debating ranking of the following Boston and NYC community programs: 3. Mount Auburn Hospital, 4. Salem Hospital and 5. Mount Sinai West / SLR. They all seem like relatively solid programs. I've gotten good vibes mainly from MAH and Salem on interview day. They both have fellowship placements that are okay while MSW has a better track record but QoL would probably be lower there in my view.

My worry is that my goal of fellowship at a mid-tier university program would at the above programs require work and effort to the degree of misery. I'm not shy of hard work but I know my top 2 choices would allow me a decent amount of free time. I also fear matching into a 'safety program' would decrease my motivation which would be a recipe for failure.

Obviously only ranking 2 programs is a huge gamble. I know no one can tell me what to decide but hoping someone can speak to my expectation of residency at these community Boston and NYC programs in light of my fellowship goal?
As an fmg, you need to rank all the programs that you would rather be at than SOAP…and ranking only 2 programs is a guarantee that you will SOAP.
And as an fmg, you will have to work and work harder than your AMG counterparts… is it fair? No…is it reality? Yeah…
If your goal is a Cush residency, pick them as first…if the goal is the better program that gives you the better chance for fellowship, pick those that give that but know that the trade off is that you will have to work harder.

Mount auburn has a good track record of fellowship placement and has a good number of FMGs.

Here to get some last minute input on my list! Top 6 mainly. USDO, interested in GI and want to be in FL if I can.

1. UF Jax
2. CCF FL
3. UT Austin (Dell)
4. Methodist Dallas
5. Virginia Tech/Carillion (ranked lower due to location)
6. FAU

Thanks!
Recognizing that VT is one of the 2 "best" programs on your list, if FL is that important to you, seems fine.