LMU-DCOM (DeBusk COM) Discussion thread Part 2 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The only problem I've really had with this computer has been some of the software I use on it (IE and OneNote) and even that hasn't been anything major. I did have some errors that wouldn't go away, but figured out that was my fault.

I literally dropped it (on accident), and the machine is fine.

Now, there is one other glitch that appears to happen on message boards...apparently, some posts with good information in them are only visible to a select few of us because it seems like certain posters will continually ask questions that have been answered over and over...even in the same thread, or sometimes even in the post right before the one they post their question! Can you tell me how to fix that? Will the ThinkPad make that glitch go away? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hahaha, me too! But I was thinking of getting the parallels program that you can boot up in windows with and just put the needed lectures and stuff on there so I can bring my mac to class with me :). It wont have the tablet feature, but it wont be a pc either :). I dunno though... maybe I will be taking a bunch of notes and will need to tablet function. I know that in undergrad at least I never really took too many notes, because it kept me from focusing on what was being said.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll do that to! You know that means we'll have to sit next to each other and look cool, right? ;)

I'm also not sure how I'll be with taking notes. I've never used a tablet or laptop in class . . . I've always done it the old fashioned way with notebook paper and a pen.

Great..... There is a reason I switched to a mac. It was so I didnt have to put up with pc crap anymore... *sigh* Oh well.... The macs are much nicer for making videos and stuff on though :). Like the kick butt ones we are gonna be putting together.....

I can't wait for that! Although, I'm afraid all I will be able to contribute is acting skills . . . I have no clue about the technical stuff. :oops: Class of 2012 videos are gonna be awesome!

Hmmm. Maybe I'll do that to! You know that means we'll have to sit next to each other and look cool, right? ;)

I'm also not sure how I'll be with taking notes. I've never used a tablet or laptop in class . . . I've always done it the old fashioned way with notebook paper and a pen.

I can't wait for that! Although, I'm afraid all I will be able to contribute is acting skills . . . I have no clue about the technical stuff. :oops: Class of 2012 videos are gonna be awesome!

Those videos are cool. You guys are gonna' have to put them up on SDN like the class of 2011 does. I'll for sure be checking up on DCOM to see what I'm missing out on! :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Update for all those waitlisted and in the same anxious/stressful boat as I:

I spoke to Paul this AM, with the following info:

-As of this AM, 300 interviews have taken place to date, with another 200 anticipated by the last go round April 1st-ish.

-Approximately 85 seats have been signed/secured out of the class.

-He advised the waitlist will not be touched until late April at the earliest (although several people have said to the contrary. This piece left me confused, as I've heard so many different things about the waitlist).

-Current total applications for this cycle total 2,025 as of this AM; however, that number is expected to still rise due to late secondaries.

-Last year's waitlist totaled eightysomething by year's end, with 27 being offered an acceptance from the waitlist.

The only problem I've really had with this computer has been some of the software I use on it (IE and OneNote) and even that hasn't been anything major. I did have some errors that wouldn't go away, but figured out that was my fault.

I literally dropped it (on accident), and the machine is fine.

Now, there is one other glitch that appears to happen on message boards...apparently, some posts with good information in them are only visible to a select few of us because it seems like certain posters will continually ask questions that have been answered over and over...even in the same thread, or sometimes even in the post right before the one they post their question! Can you tell me how to fix that? Will the ThinkPad make that glitch go away? :)

gateways are the cheapest tablets in terms of price as well, and you guys received them as a grant. Therefore, I am sure the organization that bought them went for the cheapest in cost..resulting in gateways...if we as students have to pay for one, i rather pay a little more and get something that will last the entire 4 years and more, wouldn't you?

Which glitch are you talking about? I may be able to fix it

I hope you're joking otherwise your post is a perfect response to MJB's "glitch".... :laugh:

But seriously I understand the desire to have control over picking a reliable laptop, especially when you are paying for it, but you also have to realize the laptop is more of a learning tool (like a textbook). I wouldn't make too big a deal over which model/brand the school wants you to get. This computer is not for organizing your photo library or playing video games. It's a learning tool to help you become a good physician. If they tell you to get the crappy gateway then so what? I'm sure you have your own computer that you're bringing down anyway..

I hope you're joking otherwise your post is a perfect response to MJB's "glitch".... :laugh:

But seriously I understand the desire to have control over picking a reliable laptop, especially when you are paying for it, but you also have to realize the laptop is more of a learning tool (like a textbook). I wouldn't make too big a deal over which model/brand the school wants you to get. This computer is not for organizing your photo library or playing video games. It's a learning tool to make you a better doctor. If they tell you to get the crappy gateway then so what? I'm sure you have your own computer that you're bringing down anyway..

lol..had to read that again...didn't quite understand it the first time since I just skimmed over it

ehh..I don't like to have multiple computers...i rather just have 1 computer for both personal/work/education use...but all I can do is request it...it is up to LMU to make the final decision and I will adjust to it

Anyhow, I think I can make a strong arguement for the thinkpad in terms of cost benefit. The company i work for has about ~150 thinkpads for their employees. there is a lot of research in cost benefits and savings of owning computers. My company also keeps a track of costs associated with notebook repairs and issues. We used to use dell latitudes (for 4 years) prior to the thinkpads currently (6 years), and already after 6 years with the thinkpad, repair costs have not even reached half of what the Dell's repair costs accumulated too in 4 years with taking inflation into account. There are numerous cost analysis reports on owning thinkpads and the data is pretty striking ..it can be very convincing

If I see "thinkpad" one more time, I might just have to stop reading this thread...
ok that won't happen, but still, we don't have control over this issue, so lets just talk about something else :)

If I see "thinkpad" one more time, I might just have to stop reading this thread...
ok that won't happen, but still, we don't have control over this issue, so lets just talk about something else :)

I agree, Syncope are you sure you shouldn't be going into computer programing instead of medicine? You could make less money and have less debt, I'm sure thinkpad might hire you for marketing

I agree, Syncope are you sure you shouldn't be going into computer programing instead of medicine? You could make less money and have less debt, I'm sure thinkpad might hire you for marketing

I am already in computer programming and I find it quite boring, hence, my career change, there is plenty of money to be made in the CS field, however, money is not everything ;)

Well..this issue comes from actual suggestions that I was asked, by dr. leo, when I originally interviwed in spring of 2007 during my interview due to my CS background, prior to the inagueral class.

He seemed genuinly interested and open to suggestions at the time and he did indicate that this was part of his 'duties' at LMU. He did say the first years class will not have a choice due to computers being offered as part of a grant. One of the major impressions I got when I interviewed was that the school was open to all of the students suggestions since it is a new school. I found that to be one of the strong points of the school...to be able to listen to the student

Someone also suggested I talk to Dr. Leo (probably very early in this thread), that is why he was brough up as a contact. This may have changed since the first class matriculated and he may have passed the duties onto someone else....

I understand that this topic may not be of an interest to many of you, but it is worthwhile to discuss, especially since LMU wants to heavily integrate technology into our curriculum and you will be heavily dependent on your computer for the next 4 years...it will essentially be a part of you like your wallet or purse.

In fact, by the time we are in practice, the whole medical arena will have changed to digital technology and it will be an integral part of your practice, so you should really start taking an interest now since this will greatly affect your practice...just a thought :)

If I see "thinkpad" one more time, I might just have to stop reading this thread... :)

thinkpad, thinkpad, .... :p

Update for all those waitlisted and in the same anxious/stressful boat as I:

I spoke to Paul this AM, with the following info:

-As of this AM, 300 interviews have taken place to date, with another 200 anticipated by the last go round April 1st-ish.

-Approximately 85 seats have been signed/secured out of the class.

-He advised the waitlist will not be touched until late April at the earliest (although several people have said to the contrary. This piece left me confused, as I've heard so many different things about the waitlist).

-Current total applications for this cycle total 2,025 as of this AM; however, that number is expected to still rise due to late secondaries.

-Last year's waitlist totaled eightysomething by year's end, with 27 being offered an acceptance from the waitlist.

good info..thanks..so that means approx 65 seats are left with ~200 students competing for those spots...approx 32.5% chance of getting in if you have been selected for an interview...yikes that sounds bad..maybe I shouldn't have broken down the stats

so lets just talk about something else :)

sure....so I definitely hope there are lots of inter-class (b/w class of 2011 and 2012) activities planned out for our orientation, so we all have adequete time to get to know all of each other before life is going to turn to all books :D

anyone in class of 2011 know of any activities set up already?

good info..thanks..so that means approx 65 seats are left with ~200 students competing for those spots...approx 32.5% chance of getting in if you have been selected for an interview...yikes that sounds bad..maybe I shouldn't have broken down the stats

ok, maybe we should talk about thinkpads again :)

Members don't see this ad :)
O'Hagen: I just got off the phone with Tom McCardle From the budget committee. This thing with Farva screwed our pooch.
Thorny: What? They can't lump us in with that ****in' Martian.
O'Hagen: We're all in the same boat, fellas.
Mac: But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun.
Thorny: Yeah, his shenanigans are cruel and tragic.
Foster: Which wouldn't make them shenanigans, at all, really.
Mac: (Irish voice) Evil shenanigans!
O'Hagen: I swear to God, I'll pistol whip the next guy that says 'shenanigans!'
Mac: Hey Farva, what's the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy **** on the walls and the mozzarella sticks?
Farva: You mean Shenanigans?
Mac, Foster and Thorny: Oh, no! (Laughing) (Mac hands O'Hagen his gun.)
Farva: You're talking about Shenanigans, right?

:laugh::lol::laugh::lol: :D

hey anyone remember that website to get the free credit report? I don't have my info packet with me!

thanks

gateways are the cheapest tablets in terms of price as well, and you guys received them as a grant. Therefore, I am sure the organization that bought them went for the cheapest in cost..resulting in gateways...if we as students have to pay for one, i rather pay a little more and get something that will last the entire 4 years and more, wouldn't you?

I guess my thinking is this....

These things have a nice big screen (for a tablet). I appreciate this for a multitude of reasons that's hard to explain until you're actually doing the work we are doing on them.

They have AMAZING battery life...another huge plus.

They are Microsoft based, and in many ways, I look at it as "a PC is a PC is a PC"...they all pretty much use the same parts...with a different name on the outside.

If something DOES go wrong, I have a full 4 year warranty on it and I just turn it in and get a new one. Our IT guys are GREAT! They've been VERY helpful. I do take the precaution of backing up as often as I remember to...(I need to do that again).

I think my only complaint thus far (aside from the previously mentioned software issues, not really a problem with the unit itself) is the weight, and that's not even an issue as it's more like a portable desktop for us..we aren't out carrying the things around...unless it's in our backpacks. I think a lot of the weight can be contributed to the battery, and I'll deal with that to have the battery life I have enjoyed on this machine.

I have no real idea exactly how these were chosen, but I do know they looked over many options and went with these.

You may not believe this, but there are plenty of people out there that don't think much of IBM. I'm not one of them because frankly, I don't care, but there are folks out there.

I feel like chiming in on this....why the hell not....I don't feel like studying.

First, MJB's post was not aimed at Syncope, but another person and theme in general.....and if y'all read closely, you'll figure it out. But MJB was making fun of the whole thinkpad/gateway/dell/mac (I don't f-ing care, just give me a computer) debate by asking if the IBM could fix that "glitch."

I have no experience with computers besides everyday normal usage, but I have been extremely happy with my computer. It has excellent specs and I have not had any issues, and not many people have. Yeah, the stylus pen may stop working, but we get another from IT without questions asked, so who cares. And am I surprised a couple out of a 160 computers weren't perfect, no....is that gateway's fault.....some maybe.....but we all know it also depends on websites visited, viruses, trojan horses, and how you treat your computer. The way I look at, people have their favorites and no matter what else is said, you aren't going to convince them to switch. God himself could use a Gateway or Dell or Windows, whatever, there will be someone there to tell him he is wrong and that his machine sucks. Its like trying to convery a Bears fan to a Packers fan, or a Chevy guy to a Ford guy (Ford sucks BTW ;)), we have our favorites and they are the best b/c we say so. One person says IBM is great, another says they suck, etc. I have a buddy in IT who works with Dells and absolutely loves them. I have owned 2 Dell computers and have loved them. They have worked beautifully and when I need to buy another, will probably use them again. I know some of you cringe right now as you read that :smuggrin:

As for suggestions, DCOM loves student input and will listen to it, as will Dr. Leo. I think what people are saying is to not go overboard with it. Obviously, a petition isn't necessary, nor suggested. But don't be afraid to voice your opinion on the matter, especially if that is an area of expertise for you. If you end up with an IBM, great (and I will check it out :D) - if its a Dell or Gateway, great too. I don't care. I got my computer for free (and it wasn't the cheapest from what I saw online, altho I don't know what kind of discount they got, but I didn't pay for it), so I won't complain. These computers are used daily for a minimum of 12 hours a day, so I think they've held up pretty good. Are they heavy...yes.....but am I holding it and carrying it......no. I have been very happy with mine so far and would highly suggest it to anyone looking into buying a tablet. But I haven't tried, nor seen, any other model, so I can't give an honest opinion on all of them, only on what I've used.

Syncope, I don't want you to think this post/rant/whatever is aimed at you....its not (and I apologize if it feels that way). It more about computer talk in general. Obviously you have your history with machines and your opinions, and they are valued, but I can guarantee you these machines are far from junk.

OK....I feel better now :smuggrin: :boom: :beat:

can we get off the computer rant? its freakin' february...you have about 6 months of freedom before you will regret not doing whatever you didnt do while instead spending your life looking at computers and SDN. i mean i know SDN is about the most fun thing ever...but dang, go outside! have fun! be social! hang out with your family/significant other/dog/random people! go read a non-medically related book! go do some cool stuff that enables you to take cool pictures so you can show off and posture awkwardly next fall when you meet your new classsmates! anyway, the point of this is - cut the computer talk and have a great time in limbo. best of luck to everyone applying/waiting/sweating, and congrats if you are accepted.

i hate studying, at least the meathead in me enjoys the muscle stuff...i would have been a great caveman.

can we get off the computer rant? its freakin' february...you have about 6 months of freedom before you will regret not doing whatever you didnt do while instead spending your life looking at computers and SDN. i mean i know SDN is about the most fun thing ever...but dang, go outside! have fun! be social! hang out with your family/significant other/dog/random people! go read a non-medically related book! go do some cool stuff that enables you to take cool pictures so you can show off and posture awkwardly next fall when you meet your new classsmates! anyway, the point of this is - cut the computer talk and have a great time in limbo. best of luck to everyone applying/waiting/sweating, and congrats if you are accepted.

i hate studying, at least the meathead in me enjoys the muscle stuff...i would have been a great caveman.

let see.....a ski trip to mammoth, breck, whistler, and heavenly in just the last 2 mo...i think i get out enough :p....and I'm definitely trying to live it up before school starts.....and my face is pretty darn windburned and my knees ache

and the best part is that I have 6 more weeks of vacation time left, a few buddies that also have some time and money to burn, and a savings account I really don't care about at the moment :D

however, when I am at home, SDN, can be pretty entertaining...

this was never meant to be a rant...just a productive debate on which manufacturer has the best tablet....rant? i think not

I guess I won't do a petition..it was just an idea in the first place..

The computer topics are depressing! After I was waitlisted I decided to go out and buy a new laptop since I would need a new one for school and they had good after thanksgiving day prices. So now I have a brand new HP tablet which is hella cute (although tiny) and only weighs 4.5lbs. Then I was accepted off the waitlist and crap I will be getting a new computer in July. Sucks since it was too late to return this one and I know I won't need two computers once school starts. Oh well nothing like paying two deposits and paying for a computer I didn't really need. Good thing med school is defintely worth all my frustrations :laugh:

And in reply to the post about the waitlist. I keep thinking my acceptance wasn't really supposed to happen since supposedely the waitlist doesn't move until April. But my deposit was cashed and I have a matriculation packet so I guess it was all real. The funny things I find myself worrying about.

The computer topics are depressing! After I was waitlisted I decided to go out and buy a new laptop since I would need a new one for school and they had good after thanksgiving day prices. So now I have a brand new HP tablet which is hella cute (although tiny) and only weighs 4.5lbs. Then I was accepted off the waitlist and crap I will be getting a new computer in July. Sucks since it was too late to return this one and I know I won't need two computers once school starts. Oh well nothing like paying two deposits and paying for a computer I didn't really need. Good thing med school is defintely worth all my frustrations :laugh:

And in reply to the post about the waitlist. I keep thinking my acceptance wasn't really supposed to happen since supposedely the waitlist doesn't move until April. But my deposit was cashed and I have a matriculation packet so I guess it was all real. The funny things I find myself worrying about.

lol..the same thing happened to me....in august I bought a new T61....right before I found out I got accepted for the class of 2012 off the waitlist...oh well, I'll just give it to my sister and take what we get..

btw..the x61 is only 3.75lb's and if the below happens to your notebook...you'll be glad you have a thinkpad ;)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw78gcU713g[/YOUTUBE]

I feel bad for her, 3 of her keys on her keyboard are missing and she has to do some pretty odd things to be able to type on her computer properly when she doesn't have an external keyboard attached....such as keeping those 3 letters (from the 3 keys on the keyboard that are missing) open in wordpad, so she can copy and paste in where she needs those missing letters (keys)

I hear you...it is such a relief...just as I was about to go fill out another aacomas application and make sure I applied to more than 3 schools this time :oops:, I get the news I have been accepted. It was such a great relief not to go through the application/interview process again

I feel bad for her, 3 of her keys are missing and she has to do some pretty odd things to be able to type properly when she doesn't have an external keyboard....such as keeping those 3 letters open in wordpad available to copy and paste in where she needs it.

Dude...I had to read this a couple of times to see that you weren't talking about your sister but about the computer. I was like......ummm :confused:

Follow my logic for a second.......you feel bad for her (your sis) b/c she lost her keys (that always sucks BTW) and types in an odd fashion. OK....I can handle that, altho I would like to see, or at least understand.....I mean, how does a keyboard make that much of a difference to a person??? I dunno (besides, I'm a Gateway/Dell user...j/k ;)) Maybe she lost some fingers...either way, your sis types weird...whatever. But the odd thing is that she has problems with 3 letters...ummmm, OK, I'm stumped. She lost her keys, has to do odd things to type (maybe use toes??? a chicken pecker maybe???) and finally, has trouble with only 3 letters.

I came to two conclusions.....1) your sister is odd, but in a very lovely way, and those are some really funky reasons to give someone your computer....or 2) I need sleep

And the winner is..............:sleep: (i hope)

Dude...I had to read this a couple of times to see that you weren't talking about your sister but about the computer. I was like......ummm :confused:

:laugh: I thought the same thing too for a sec! I thought he was saying his sister was missing 3 keys AKA fingers and that's why she typed funny! :lol: I guess I need sleep too . . .

Follow my logic for a second.......you feel bad for her (your sis) b/c she lost her keys (that always sucks BTW) and types in an odd fashion. OK....I can handle that, altho I would like to see, or at least understand.....I mean, how does a keyboard make that much of a difference to a person??? I dunno (besides, I'm a Gateway/Dell user...j/k ;)) Maybe she lost some fingers...either way, your sis types weird...whatever. But the odd thing is that she has problems with 3 letters...ummmm, OK, I'm stumped. She lost her keys, has to do odd things to type (maybe use toes??? a chicken pecker maybe???) and finally, has trouble with only 3 letters.

I came to two conclusions.....1) your sister is odd, but in a very lovely way, and those are some really funky reasons to give someone your computer....or 2) I need sleep

And the winner is..............:sleep: (i hope)

lol..I should have been more clear....3 of her keys on her notebook keyboard are missing, and those 3 keyboard keys happen to be letters...so 3 of the letters are missing........not 3 house or car keys..., but 3 keys representing letters on the QWERTY keyboard..

you guys have been studying too much! :laugh::laugh:

I went ahead and edited the post to be more clear

Does anyone know if there are farmers markets or food co-ops in the surrounding area of DCOM?

Well prions....it looks like you and I are the night owls, except you're in CA, so its not too late right now for ya. Oh well...time to go to sleep :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Does anyone know if there are farmers markets or food co-ops in the surrounding area of DCOM?

I don't think we have any co-ops, but we have a nice Farmer's Market right off of 25 on Cumberland Ave. Food City also carries a lot of locally grown produce. Our Kroger has a pretty good selection of healthy/organic foods as well.

Wait 'til you get a load of Grainger Co. Tomatoes! Awesome. Almost as good as home, and it was REALLY a bad year last year from what I understand.

I miss the big Farmer's market back home...went to the one in Knoxville, and was not impressed.

I'm officially over the computer talk. It's not that big of a deal. :)

Wait 'til you get a load of Grainger Co. Tomatoes! Awesome. Almost as good as home, and it was REALLY a bad year last year from what I understand.

I miss the big Farmer's market back home...went to the one in Knoxville, and was not impressed.

I'm officially over the computer talk. It's not that big of a deal. :)

Have you ever been to the tomato festival? it is so much fun, I'm allergic to tomatoes but I still enjoy it! It's during august, so it is as hot as hell, but just a blast in that hokey sort of way

Where is the nearest walmart or grocery store? How about the nearest fast food chain? Thanks

I'm officially over the computer talk. :)

After using one to study for approx 12 hours a day...i would never want to see or talk about a comp either :p

sorry..i got lazy

Thank you! Flash is disabled at work, so it is near impossible to do a map search and yellowpages.com wasn't finding anything in the area
Does google maps use flash?

Middlesborough is the place to find everything fast food/grocery related. There is a good amount of fast food and there is a super wal-mart. Plus...groceries are tax free!!

Middlesborough is the place to find everything fast food/grocery related. There is a good amount of fast food and there is a super wal-mart. Plus...groceries are tax free!!

actually..no it does not use flash...i wonder why it's still disabled :confused:
I can see the addresses, but not the maps

but thanks for the info

I think there is an error in your message...

404 Page not found, Abort mission...run away!!

J/K, Not sure why this popped into my head.

I think there is an error in your message...

404 Page not found, Abort mission...run away!!

J/K, Not sure why this popped into my head.

is this what med school does to a person? :p

i didn't realize there were places that weren't tax-free on groceries... are groceries taxed in TN? it's sad that i've been here for 4 years and have not paid attention.. i just assumed it was the same as in WI

i didn't realize there were places that weren't tax-free on groceries... are groceries taxed in TN? it's sad that i've been here for 4 years and have not paid attention.. i just assumed it was the same as in WI

I believe..right across the state line in middlesboro, KY, it is tax free, please correct me if I'm wrong...i think there is no retail tax on anything