UMass-Boston thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since many institutions on this forum have their own thread why not start one for UMass-Boston which tends to get overshadowed by BU, and Harvard in Boston.

I've been getting the impression that there are a lot of people at UMass-Boston who have done poorly at their previous institutions, or dropped out and coming back to school. Eventhough they have a certificate program for premed post-bacc overwhelming majority of people if they are not undergrads they prereqs a la carte. I am amazed at the number of people here who intend to apply to pharmacy, dental, or medical school. It just seems a bit odd that given this fact that it barely gets any mention at SDN. If you are in Boston, especially a resident of Massachusetts or soon to be classified as one take a look at this alternative. I'm not saying this to advertise UMass-Boston but so many people are unaware that there are alternatives to BU, Harvard, Tufts and Brandeis. This schools is an alternative especially given its inexpensive tuition if youa re a resident.

Anybody else here who goes to UMass-Boston?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey-, fellow UMB'er here.

Right now I'm finishing my bacc at UMB which I started 12 years ago. As a poliSci/English major in the University Honors program (then and now) I can tell you that the eduction at UMB is first rate IF you're willing to take it upon yourself. Many of my former Honors colleagues went on to med school at top 20 schools, and we've had three fulbrights in the past 4 years.

In my case, I need to wrap up some incompletes from years ago, then I need basically 12 credits and I'm done (expecting to grad with 3.75+ gpa). Of course I never took a single science course and so my question right now is do I take all my pre-reqs at UMB or enroll in the Harvard post-bacc across town (whose asst director I've already spoken with and I've been accepted into the diploma program).

I think both are good alternatives, and just as a point of clarification, the credits at both schools are almost exactly the same price ($800/class). I think Harvard is far better recognized as a post-bacc program, but the environment where one feels they can succeed (that is, get As) should drive your decision.

As for me, I think I may stay at Umass because if I schedule my courses right, I can maximize student loan money as a third/fourth year ugrad (an unfortunate reality), as opposed to graduating and having to deal with the one year limit as a 5th year ugrad as is available at the Harvard program. But to some degree (pardon the pun) I'm still undecided.

To anyone considering UMB, it's a great school, has a very strong science community, and the profs are the most dedicated you will ever find on any campus anywhere! And yes they do have a specific post-bacc program for health careers...Grace McSorely is the advisor.

Feel free to ask me any questions about that place...I loved/love my time there.

Ock

I just started my post-bac at Umass two weeks ago....I got my bachelors from Providence this past may and decided I wanted to apply to dental school so I'm starting bio and chem this semester and hopefullly I'll finish all 8 in a couple years. Blankguy is right, Umass is a good alternative to the usual BU, Tufts, Brandeis crowd.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do all of you think about research opportunities here?

dewballs said:
I just started my post-bac at Umass two weeks ago....I got my bachelors from Providence this past may and decided I wanted to apply to dental school so I'm starting bio and chem this semester and hopefullly I'll finish all 8 in a couple years. Blankguy is right, Umass is a good alternative to the usual BU, Tufts, Brandeis crowd.

Hey Dew, Do you know yet if the post-bacc program did get approval to allow financial aid? I know the committee was to vote on it sometime in Mid-August for the post-bacc'ers starting in Spring '05.

In any event good luck and it would be cool if you kept the tests for bio and chem so we can start a reasonably collegial post-bacc study legacy for the program. I was on campus this morning dealing with some fiancial aid stuff--I'll be matriculating in the Spring with two science courses and Honors colloquium...hopefully we'll cross paths :)

A shout out to SidewalkMan too, I'll be looking for you...ah, regarding your research question. I'll be working on a 1-year senior thesis as an Honor's requirement, possibly later in '05 (hopefully for publication), I'll keep you abreast of what I find out regarding opportunities in the sciences.

Ock

Let me add to my previous comment, that since a lot of people I dealt with tend to be Harvard, Brandeis, Tufts, and BU crowd we sort of get spoiled into thinking that such institutions are the average, nothing could be further from the truth! Just last week I was talking to this woman who working at an elementary school in Boston and going to UMass-Boston as an undergrad. She mentioned how competitive schools have gotten. That it used to be that a 900+ SAT and a GPA of 3.0+ would get you in to undergrad but now it is more like 1100+ and GPA of 3.5+ to get into even UMass-Boston. People like me sort of get spoiled by all the Brandeis, Tufts, Harvard, etc... We tend to get shielded from academically marginal people who really want to go to college. Taking my courses at UMass has really opened my eyes to this fact that college education is not a given. A lot of the people at UMass tend to come from lower incomes than those that go to BU, Tufts, etc...

The one advantage that UMass has over Brandeis, Tufts, Harvard, etc.. is that the teachers are genuily interested in teaching and they hire faculty members who are really interested in teaching, unlike Brandeis, and Tufts which due to being high powered research institutions tend to attract people who do research and tend to put less stress on teaching, not that there is anything wrong with that but for an undergrad it may be a bit tougher.

I heard that UMass has a post-bacc certificate program. Anybody else heard of this?

I'm taking orgo and bio. Price tag for both courses this semester $1453 which would make it slightly cheaper than Harvard.

For those of you taking the day General Chemistry section, Dr. Carter rocks! :thumbup:

The price difference between Harvard and UMass kicks in during the summer.
Something like $775 per session including lab for UMass vs $4000 at Harvard for a full year(Harvard doesn't have session I and II like others).

ockhamsRzr, I spoke with Grace McSorley before the start of the semester and she told me it still wasn't decided wheter or not financial aid was going to be an option. She did say, however, that they're expecting to hear back in a few months and so far it it looks like it will go through.

Blankguy, Umass does have a post bac certificate program, it's the program I'm in right now. And just to let you know, I'm in Carter's gen chem class mwf at 10:30...he seems like a really good teacher so far, definately knows what he's talking about. Are you taking general bio or some other bio class...I'm also in Dr. Ashoks general bio class this semster.

Thanks Dew.

Please defintely keep us updated about those two classes (PM me if youd like). I'm taking both in the Spring and am hoping to take Carter. I'd love to know your feedback about Ashok too.

I'm hoping to score the A, but more importantly LEARN for the MCAT!!

Talk soon, good luck,

Ock

Whoa - a UMass-Boston thread.

I had the pleasure of attending Brandeis for two years before dropping out and working for the next ten. When I decided it was time to go back to school while working full time, the finances dictated that I go somewhere less spendy than Brandeis. I haven't been disappointed with continuing my education at UMB. Genuinely interested profs, a decent level of teaching. Though I do have a few choice words about McSorley. But let bygones be bygones ...

- Tae, Phil '00

dewballs said:
ockhamsRzr, I spoke with Grace McSorley before the start of the semester and she told me it still wasn't decided wheter or not financial aid was going to be an option. She did say, however, that they're expecting to hear back in a few months and so far it it looks like it will go through.

Blankguy, Umass does have a post bac certificate program, it's the program I'm in right now. And just to let you know, I'm in Carter's gen chem class mwf at 10:30...he seems like a really good teacher so far, definately knows what he's talking about. Are you taking general bio or some other bio class...I'm also in Dr. Ashoks general bio class this semster.

You won't be disappointed with Carter. He is a very good teacher. I'm the asian guy sitting in the first row in Ashok's class. White usually teaches this class but since he is in a sabbatical Ashok is filling in for him this semester.

The teachers that I've been recommended were Mollow for Physics(non-calculus based) he is the person that usually teaches the day fall to spring classes. Schwartz for Organic Chemistry, she usually teaches that. Biology I've been told to avoid White because he doesn't go into enough detail for MCAT or DAT, although people that I've talked to say he is a good teacher.

If by some freak accident Schwartz doesn't teach organic when your taking it, the other person that would teach it would be Czerny. He seems to be good at teaching it. Czerny taught orgo this past summer.

I did not take Physics with Mollow.

tkim6599 said:
Whoa - a UMass-Boston thread.

I had the pleasure of attending Brandeis for two years before dropping out and working for the next ten. When I decided it was time to go back to school while working full time, the finances dictated that I go somewhere less spendy than Brandeis. I haven't been disappointed with continuing my education at UMB. Genuinely interested profs, a decent level of teaching. Though I do have a few choice words about McSorley. But let bygones be bygones ...

- Tae, Phil '00

On an amusing note, one of my orgo classmates who had previously gone to some other institution some 15 years ago. Went to the get his credits transferred to UMB, the student manning the counter looked at his transcript and blurted out "oh my god! You are old enough to be my father!" :laugh:

ockhamsRzr said:
Thanks Dew.

Please defintely keep us updated about those two classes (PM me if youd like). I'm taking both in the Spring and am hoping to take Carter. I'd love to know your feedback about Ashok too.

I'm hoping to score the A, but more importantly LEARN for the MCAT!!

Talk soon, good luck,

Ock

Unfortunately Carter only teaches from Fall to Spring and the summer sessions, so if you are starting in the spring you will have somebody else.
Ashok teaches Biochem, she is filling in for White this semester so don't count on this being permanent just a temporary arrangement.

My advice to you is to take Biology 111 during the spring so you don't get White. There are other good professors like Baldinger, and Hagar. You may end up with one of them. Take Chemistry during the summer with Carter.

blankguy said:
Schwartz for Organic Chemistry, she usually teaches that.

Schwartz was excellent when I took her class.

Biology I've been told to avoid White because he doesn't go into enough detail for MCAT or DAT, although people that I've talked to say he is a good teacher.

I'd have to agree with your assessment of White. He doesn't teach to the level of detail the MCAT requires. A good prep book remedies that. However, he is an excellent teacher and he wrote one of my science LORs when I applied. At one of my interviews, the interviewer quoted parts of Prof. White's LOR. "... was easily one of the top students in a class of over 200 ... If I were able to give him an A+, I would have." I was stunned, as when I asked him for the LOR, he told me that it would be nothing more than a form letter. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, I simply did not think I was that great a student in his class, and I'm sure there were a good number of A's that got passed out. I was simply stoked I got such a kickass LOR from him.

I am firmly convinced that the LORs from White and the Chair of the Phil dept. Prof. Radden, were instrumental in getting me interviews and acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is awesome information about profs and classes. Tkim, thanks for the info about the LOR's...White sounds like Prof Gibbons from Anthro (retired now) who wrote me a smoking LOR to Yale years ago for a PhD program...he did the same for my wife for law school. UMB profs help out where ever they can!

After sitting with my transcripts for most of the morning (because SDN forums were down all morning :mad: ) I've decided that I'll be doing ALL of my pre-reqs at UMB. Do you guys think that the summer Chem class with Carter would be perceived by ADcoms as "not as robust" as the Fall/Spring session...I've heard this, butI'm not sure.

What bummed me out was seeing a damn C I got in SpanishII the summer I was hanging with my girlfriend (now wife) on the Jersey Shore. At 103 credits I have a 3.67 (assuming As and A- on some incompletes I'm doing now). The 103 credits leaves me room for most all of my pre-reqs, but I'm hoping I can A or A- most of my science courses to hang onto the GPA :eek: I can't believe what one damn 2.0 can do to to a cume!!!

Hey Tkim, if you don't mind, what was your graduating GPA, major, MCAT score...and where did you get in? How many interviews, etc, etc. PM me if you like...but hey you're in med school, so it all worked out in the end!

Oh and thanks again blankguy for starting this thread!

Ock

Well that sucks Carter's not teaching chem 104 next semester, I'm definately taking it spring semester with gen bio II. He seems like the kind of teacher I can really understand and learn from. Oh well, I'll just have to see who I get instead.

dewballs said:
Well that sucks Carter's not teaching chem 104 next semester, I'm definately taking it spring semester with gen bio II. He seems like the kind of teacher I can really understand and learn from. Oh well, I'll just have to see who I get instead.

Carter teaches 104 in the spring. If you are looking to take 103 in the spring then its not going to be with him. He teaches 103/104 from fall to spring.

ockhamsRzr said:
This is awesome information about profs and classes. Tkim, thanks for the info about the LOR's...White sounds like Prof Gibbons from Anthro (retired now) who wrote me a smoking LOR to Yale years ago for a PhD program...he did the same for my wife for law school. UMB profs help out where ever they can!

After sitting with my transcripts for most of the morning (because SDN forums were down all morning :mad: ) I've decided that I'll be doing ALL of my pre-reqs at UMB. Do you guys think that the summer Chem class with Carter would be perceived by ADcoms as "not as robust" as the Fall/Spring session...I've heard this, butI'm not sure.

What bummed me out was seeing a damn C I got in SpanishII the summer I was hanging with my girlfriend (now wife) on the Jersey Shore. At 103 credits I have a 3.67 (assuming As and A- on some incompletes I'm doing now). The 103 credits leaves me room for most all of my pre-reqs, but I'm hoping I can A or A- most of my science courses to hang onto the GPA :eek: I can't believe what one damn 2.0 can do to to a cume!!!

Hey Tkim, if you don't mind, what was your graduating GPA, major, MCAT score...and where did you get in? How many interviews, etc, etc. PM me if you like...but hey you're in med school, so it all worked out in the end!

Oh and thanks again blankguy for starting this thread!

Ock

You have a 3.67 and you are grumbling about it??? :eek: See this is what SDN does to you. :thumbdown:

I don't where you got this nonsense of summer courses being not as rigorous as regular semester courses. If I decide to take summer courses it would be because I can afford to cut corners with the subject in question. I just took Physics II over the summer because ti wasn't covered by the DAT hence cutting corners with this wasn't going to hurt my preparation, on the other hand Orgo I choice not to take over the summer because I wanted a more thorough treatment of it(also people would not recommend taking over the summer but that was a secondary reason). Over the summer I had this girl take genchem over at Harvard 2 months for both genchem I and II, she had an exam practically every week and the final was a cumulative genchem I and II. You are going to tell this girl that her genchem course is not "rigorous"???? :thumbdown:

You're welcome about this thread being started. The added bonus of going to UMass-Boston, there a lot of undergrads that are way older than the traditional 18-22 yr crowd, so if you are going back to school you won't be the only one stuck with bunch of 18-22 yr olds. :thumbup:

Hey Blankguy,

I know, I know, I didn't mean to gripe about my grades. But you're right that SDN makes you feel like you have to save the damn world in order to get into med school. Even though I swear by my UMB education and even had a Boston Globe letter to the editor published praising UMB in the face of Romney's cuts, I still harbor (pun again) a little insecurity about my acheivements there (also the self-imposed humility makes me work a little harder).

At 34 yrs old, my cume is the product of work and energy 12 years ago before wife, two babies, job, mortgage, etc. So, going back to the sciences full time does make me at least a bit nervous...but still I won't grumble again :D believe me though, thousands of diapers later and saying "Adrian, don't hit your brother" for the 9000th time takes its toll on your sanity!!

As for the summer session perspective, I tend to agree with you and as I thought about after posting, I arrived at the same conclusion that you offer. If I had the ability to really jam I might consider it, but the scenario you mention with your friend is exactly what concerns me. Not only is the pace quite a bit faster, I think I can't afford to not really comprehend everything (MCATs looming at some point).

However, for whatever the logic, I have heard that adcoms don't look at summer sessions as being "equal" to full term treatments. Don't think I agree (the damn C I got in SpanII was a summer session!).

Hey tell me, I'm thinking that I may need to take college math before Chem...how were your math chops before the semester started...what is your degree in from Providence?

Talk soon,

Ock

A former classmate from genchem took orgo and Bio over the summer and the MCAT. He is probably applying this year. I don't think it makes that much of a difference. Adcoms are people too so they are bound to have opinions but if that is the case where they view summer as being the lite version of what is offered during the school year then I don't think that many adcoms and med schools would subscribe to that view just as there aren't that many schools requiring Calculus based physics(Harvard is one of those). Also the fast pace could work in your favor since med school and dental schools are fast paced.

ockhamsRzr said:
Hey-, fellow UMB'er here.

Right now I'm finishing my bacc at UMB which I started 12 years ago. As a poliSci/English major in the University Honors program (then and now) I can tell you that the eduction at UMB is first rate IF you're willing to take it upon yourself. Many of my former Honors colleagues went on to med school at top 20 schools, and we've had three fulbrights in the past 4 years.

In my case, I need to wrap up some incompletes from years ago, then I need basically 12 credits and I'm done (expecting to grad with 3.75+ gpa). Of course I never took a single science course and so my question right now is do I take all my pre-reqs at UMB or enroll in the Harvard post-bacc across town (whose asst director I've already spoken with and I've been accepted into the diploma program).

I think both are good alternatives, and just as a point of clarification, the credits at both schools are almost exactly the same price ($800/class). I think Harvard is far better recognized as a post-bacc program, but the environment where one feels they can succeed (that is, get As) should drive your decision.

As for me, I think I may stay at Umass because if I schedule my courses right, I can maximize student loan money as a third/fourth year ugrad (an unfortunate reality), as opposed to graduating and having to deal with the one year limit as a 5th year ugrad as is available at the Harvard program. But to some degree (pardon the pun) I'm still undecided.

To anyone considering UMB, it's a great school, has a very strong science community, and the profs are the most dedicated you will ever find on any campus anywhere! And yes they do have a specific post-bacc program for health careers...Grace McSorely is the advisor.

Feel free to ask me any questions about that place...I loved/love my time there.

Ock
Ock,
I am a little lost about the tution comparation between UMass and Harvard mentioned in your message.
It seems that the tuition and all manditory fees for the Fall/Spring semester at UMass Boston is a lot more expensive than Harvard Extension School. It costs $1270/semester for a 4 credit course like Biology111 or GChem103 for Massachusetts residents plus about $350/semester parking fee at UMass campus, where the tuition and fees at Harvard Pre-Med for Fall/Spring semester is exact $800/4cr course plus $50 registeration fee each semester.
Those numbers are from one of my friends in the UMass Post-Bacc program and he is a Massachusetts resident and just graduated from UMass-Boston.

Ockham,
Funny you asked. I got my bachelors in Math. You do need to have basic math classes for chemistry, I think just one and it doenst even have to be Calc. just an intro algebra course. Theres not too much math involved, mostly simple conversions and stufff like that.

Eric66 said:
Ock,
I am a little lost about the tution comparation between UMass and Harvard mentioned in your message.
It seems that the tuition and all manditory fees for the Fall/Spring semester at UMass Boston is a lot more expensive than Harvard Extension School. It costs $1270/semester for a 4 credit course like Biology111 or GChem103 for Massachusetts residents plus about $350/semester parking fee at UMass campus, where the tuition and fees at Harvard Pre-Med for Fall/Spring semester is exact $800/4cr course plus $50 registeration fee each semester.
Those numbers are from one of my friends in the UMass Post-Bacc program and he is a Massachusetts resident and just graduated from UMass-Boston.

I just paid about $1350 for two courses, including the mandatory fees. It seems like UMass rates have been fluctuating somewhat. Last semester I had to fork out about $2700 for 2 courses.

blankguy said:
I just paid about $1350 for two courses, including the mandatory fees. It seems like UMass rates have been fluctuating somewhat. Last semester I had to fork out about $2700 for 2 courses.

The disparity in pricing may be the difference between Continuing Ed courses versus regular matriculant courses (regardless of whether or not those courses are on campus or at a satellite like Braintree). I DO know that the prereqs I was considering taking (bio and chem) were CE courses offered in Braintree as opposed to on campus and were $800 ea. Look at the course number and I think it may say CE if it was contEd.

Otherwise, I don't think the pricing scheme is in flux, it may be a resident versus non-res thing also.

Ock

*Dew, thanks for the advice on the math course...I'm pretty sure that my Spring will now look like:

College algebra
Honors Colloquium
Bio

Most likely pushing forward with either pre-calc or two more science pre-preqs in the summer...and then onto fall for more pre-reqs.

ockhamsRzr said:
The disparity in pricing may be the difference between Continuing Ed courses versus regular matriculant courses (regardless of whether or not those courses are on campus or at a satellite like Braintree). I DO know that the prereqs I was considering taking (bio and chem) were CE courses offered in Braintree as opposed to on campus and were $800 ea. Look at the course number and I think it may say CE if it was contEd.

Otherwise, I don't think the pricing scheme is in flux, it may be a resident versus non-res thing also.

Ock

*Dew, thanks for the advice on the math course...I'm pretty sure that my Spring will now look like:

College algebra
Honors Colloquium
Bio

Most likely pushing forward with either pre-calc or two more science pre-preqs in the summer...and then onto fall for more pre-reqs.

I did not take the courses last spring through CE but as regular undergrad
course.

There will be a pre-med meeting next Tuesday (9/28) 9:00Am at Campus Center first floor Room 1313.
Anyone interested can come.
:)

Eric66 said:
There will be a pre-med meeting next Tuesday (9/28) 9:00Am at Campus Center first floor Room 1313.

Do they also cover predental students??

Eric66 said:

Thanks for the info. I'll actually be on campus for some FinAid stuff tomorrow, but with two babies in tow it may not make sense for me to show up. Would you mind PM'ing me or posting the points of the meeting?

TIA,

Ock

We should have a get together, or setup a study group if we are taking the same courses.

I am going to have to disagree with you guys about prof. white. He started out by covering genetics in enough detail that while most people get confused between the coding strand and the template strand, i still remember it easily to get a genetics question in biochem test right and on the MCAT.

His coverage of membrane channels was in plenty of detail and most importantly clarity for me to easily breeze past neurobio, endo and biochem when the subject came up and on the MCAT.

There is no way that a professor is going to cover everything on the MCAT and in detail. this is freshman biology NOT kaplan MCAT bio prep. There is anatomy on the MCAT and it is never going to be covered at all since it was in ch. 25. People were already whining about how much material Prof. White was covering.

By the time i was done with Bio 111 and 112, i felt i had a really good grasp of basic biology and then reviewed for MCAT. took me less than a week to review biology. What i have found when i question people in detail is that they expect NOT to have to do anything else for the MCAT, that is just plain silly.

If you go to the lecture and read the book like you are supposed to instead of just depending on lectures, there is plenty of preparation. I have noticed however that people are lazy and don't do their legwork. They want a scapegoat and of course, point at the professor, that is just plain wrong.

Prof Carter is great. Prof. Schwartz is great, Prof. guimond is also great ( A&P). I would definitely agree with you guys about UMass Boston, more bang for your buck than just about anywhere else. Now if they would only open a medical school in Boston...

Took the MCAT this august. I was pleased with the score, since i decided to go to medical school this march and had only 2 months to study.

fiddler

hey umass people,

i'm planning on starting post bacc classes next semester at umb, so i submitted my online application...i was wondering if you know how selective they are? i did really well in high school (honor's society, 700+ on all my sat's), but my grades at my current university suck, thus the post bacc work. i can still make it in as a transfer right?

oh and i'm graduating from college this dec. :cool:

they have undergrad non-degree. you don't even have to be admitted. just sign up for classes...

did that for 2 years, got a high enough gpa, they sent me a certificate that says sign here and you are matriculated...now i have to get shots! grrrr...

fiddler

thanks fiddler~ man i wish i had read through the website more carefully! now i'm out 40 bucks for admissions fee :mad:

looks like i'll be seeing some of you next semester :cool:

since you guys are familiar with the workload at UMB, do you think it would be unrealistic to take orgo II, human behavior, molecular bio,and cell biology while studying for the april mcat? i was thinking it would be manageable since 3/4 of those classes will cover material on the exam.

jintonic5 said:
thanks fiddler~ man i wish i had read through the website more carefully! now i'm out 40 bucks for admissions fee :mad:

since you guys are familiar with the workload at UMB, do you think it would be unrealistic to take orgo II, human behavior, molecular bio,and cell biology while studying for the april mcat? i was thinking it would be manageable since 3/4 of those classes will cover material on the exam.

With that kind of workload you are asking for it. I heard that cell biology is no cake walk, combine that with Orgo II and ouch!

blankguy said:
With that kind of workload you are asking for it. I heard that cell biology is no cake walk, combine that with Orgo II and ouch!

hmm... how 'bout just 3 of those classes? let's say i do orgo II, hum bev, and molec. biology...? i'm trying to find the right balance between getting a good score on the mcat and taking enough science classes to show post bacc programs that i can hack it with upper level stuff.

i would take 1 less class. you have to remember that they all have labs and most importantly, lab reports. they take a while to write and will eat up your time.

i have not taken cell bio nor genetics. I took the MCAT this past august. I am now going to take cell bio and genetics next semester!

i don't know about behavior or molecular bio but orgo II moves fast so you should have a good foundation in orgo I, it's all required.

fiddler

very good points... i guess ultimately it's more important to do well on the MCAT than to try to juggle an unnecessarily heavy courseload... :idea:

well, i definitely need to take orgo II... that stupid class has eluded me long enough :mad: probably either molecular bio or cell bio... any suggestions?

thanks again everyone! :)

i have no idea about molecular bio. i am taking cell bio next semester. I heard it is not hard, the lab can be long so i am not taking lab...

fiddler

:) Hi all:
So cool to have a thread re UMB!! I've been going to UMB off and on since 1996 (MY GOD! Its scary to see that in print!)) and I've got to say I love the school and the profs. I used to worry alot about the prestige factor (its always been known as a "commuter/non-trad" school) but I am starting to think that the quality of your undergrad education has more to do with what you do with it than what others may think about what school you went to. Case in point - you can get some awesome research experience at UMB, and as another poster mentioned, the profs (especially in the science depts.) will bend over backwards for those students who show they care about their education (esp in regards to LORs). Cerny is a wonderful orgo prof and will talk to you in his office all day if thats what you need to pass his class. I have some really great recomendations for upper-level bio courses if any of you are going to be completing a bio degree or just want the exposure before med school. Both the neuro and endo profs are incredible. My 2 cents to jintonic (your name made me laugh - its my mom's favorite drink!!) - Molecular bio is a 300 level class and has Biochem as a prereq, which has Orgo 1-2 as preqs. It also is only offered MWF 8:30 am so you have to be an early riser. The exams aren't impossible but the material is very detailed. Cell Bio is a breeze and Orgo 2 isn't too bad but if I were you I would do molecular after you have finished studying for the MCAT. The class goes into way more depth than the MCAT requires and takes a fair bit of work. Try Developmental Bio (offered w/o lab only) instead if you really want an upper-level bio course this spring or try Biochem - I've heard its a great class/prof and you can take it w/o lab if you want. Its good prep for MCAT/med school too. Just my 2 cents :oops:
Any way good to see fellow Bostonians around - talk to you later.

jintonic5 said:

jintonic5 said:

I thought I would jump in on this. As a former UMass post-baccer with acceptances to multiple medical schools, I would offer you this advice: the MCAT is WAY more important than any class you'll take at UMass. Best to get a 30 on the MCAT with two classes in the spring than a 25 with 4 classes. Lots of people can take 4 classes at a time; only the top 20% of all MCAT test-takers get a 30 or above. Your MCAT score will be looked at and scrutinized by every adcom; an extra bio course in the spring semester will in many cases not ever be noticed. So I would cut down your courses to 3 or maybe even 2, and spend all of your extra time on the MCAT. The MCAT is the most important test you will ever take in your life (except your USMLEs) and you want to make sure you are prepared.

When I took the MCAT in 4/2003, I reduced my workload to two course (Orgo II and Physics II with lab + 15 hours per week working). That gave me enough time to study for the MCAT and do very well.

I hope that helps... talk to Grace M. and get her take on it as well.

Good luck.

hey everyone,

thanks so much for all of your advice- i have no faith in my stupid pre-med counselors, so i'm really glad i can turn to SDNers for some sound advice :) i think i'm going to err on the side of caution and just take 2 classes now- i keep thinking that i will be ok with 3 classes, lab, and the mcat, but i know that i burn out easily if i'm not careful. instead of that third class i might just do more volunteer work since i haven't done, what i consider to be, enough.

-jntnc5

Maria S said:
:) Hi all:
So cool to have a thread re UMB!! I've been going to UMB off and on since 1996 (MY GOD! Its scary to see that in print!)) and I've got to say I love the school and the profs. I used to worry alot about the prestige factor (its always been known as a "commuter/non-trad" school) but I am starting to think that the quality of your undergrad education has more to do with what you do with it than what others may think about what school you went to. Case in point - you can get some awesome research experience at UMB, and as another poster mentioned, the profs (especially in the science depts.) will bend over backwards for those students who show they care about their education (esp in regards to LORs). Cerny is a wonderful orgo prof and will talk to you in his office all day if thats what you need to pass his class. I have some really great recomendations for upper-level bio courses if any of you are going to be completing a bio degree or just want the exposure before med school. Both the neuro and endo profs are incredible. My 2 cents to jintonic (your name made me laugh - its my mom's favorite drink!!) - Molecular bio is a 300 level class and has Biochem as a prereq, which has Orgo 1-2 as preqs. It also is only offered MWF 8:30 am so you have to be an early riser. The exams aren't impossible but the material is very detailed. Cell Bio is a breeze and Orgo 2 isn't too bad but if I were you I would do molecular after you have finished studying for the MCAT. The class goes into way more depth than the MCAT requires and takes a fair bit of work. Try Developmental Bio (offered w/o lab only) instead if you really want an upper-level bio course this spring or try Biochem - I've heard its a great class/prof and you can take it w/o lab if you want. Its good prep for MCAT/med school too. Just my 2 cents :oops:
Any way good to see fellow Bostonians around - talk to you later.

I am looking to take biochem next year but I heard that the people that teach it are not very good. My lab instructor for Orgo is Dr. Pitcher who also happens to teach Biochemistry. Is it really tough? Easier than orgo?
Cell biology or Anatomy and Physiology which would you recommend to take along with Biochem?

hey bro,

i am taking biochem now. the people teaching it know their stuff. prof. hagar is actually really good and will let you know what he expects on his half of the tests. prof. pitcher is ok. the tests are not really that hard, just different. I put in a lot more time into orgo but it made the biochem stuff easy...

there was 4 or 5 questions on the first test. it was easy if you did not panic. the next tests were 2 questions each from prof. pitcher and prof. hagar. If your foundation is solid, in orgo and you know what ion channels already are...it's not bad.

A&P with prof guimond is great but don't expect to skate by. His tests are non-cumulative and although some of the multiple choice questions have a to h, some of the answers are "slurm". he just makes up stuff and if you know the answer it is easy. The labs can be a lot of work. no reports, just practicals, so if you go to lab and learn then go in a couple of extra times for 2-3 hours a week then you will do well.

gonna take cell bio next semester so i can't comment on it. btw - prof. Guimond writes awesome recommendations so just for that alone, you might want to consider taking his class. he is entertaining and the material he wants you to learn is only in his lectures.

fiddler

Any insight about Prof hagar would be appreciated!

Taking him this spring for BioI...anyone else?

Thanks,

Ock

Prof. Hagar is fair. he wants you to know certain stuff and he will put it up in his lectures, so don't miss them. He will also tell you what he expects you to know for his tests.

By no means are you going to get an A if you just walk in cold. He likes to banter so his lectures are interesting and entertaining.

hey blankguy, i have a friend in prof. pitcher's orgo lab, do you know her? cute blond, dresses really well and apparently gets in arguments with the TA! lol.

fiddler

fiddler said:
Prof. Hagar is fair. he wants you to know certain stuff and he will put it up in his lectures, so don't miss them. He will also tell you what he expects you to know for his tests.

By no means are you going to get an A if you just walk in cold. He likes to banter so his lectures are interesting and entertaining.

hey blankguy, i have a friend in prof. pitcher's orgo lab, do you know her? cute blond, dresses really well and apparently gets in arguments with the TA! lol.

fiddler

There is a blond tall girl in my bench row. The TA is ok not great.
There is a member on this board who took Biology with Hagar, ncalcate.
I heard he is pure memorization more so than other professors.

fiddler said:
hey bro,

i am taking biochem now. the people teaching it know their stuff. prof. hagar is actually really good and will let you know what he expects on his half of the tests. prof. pitcher is ok. the tests are not really that hard, just different. I put in a lot more time into orgo but it made the biochem stuff easy...

there was 4 or 5 questions on the first test. it was easy if you did not panic. the next tests were 2 questions each from prof. pitcher and prof. hagar. If your foundation is solid, in orgo and you know what ion channels already are...it's not bad.

A&P with prof guimond is great but don't expect to skate by. His tests are non-cumulative and although some of the multiple choice questions have a to h, some of the answers are "slurm". he just makes up stuff and if you know the answer it is easy. The labs can be a lot of work. no reports, just practicals, so if you go to lab and learn then go in a couple of extra times for 2-3 hours a week then you will do well.

gonna take cell bio next semester so i can't comment on it. btw - prof. Guimond writes awesome recommendations so just for that alone, you might want to consider taking his class. he is entertaining and the material he wants you to learn is only in his lectures.

fiddler

Two classmates in orgo are taking A&P, they say it is a lot of work especially the practicals. My biology professor Ashok is one of the lab instructors for Biochem. Apparently she isn't familiar with teaching Biology. She made us memorize the aldoses and the ketoses as well as the name of the 20 amino acids for one of the tests. I am doing well in that class but I am wondering if I am getting anything out of this class.

I can only manage to take 2 classes per semester so I am wondering what to take with Biochem, cell biology or A&P.

no comment on the way prof. ashok is teaching bio. next semester prof. white will be back. he is still on sabatical right now, although he is back at the school.

if i had to guess, i would say cell bio is little less work than A&P although it would help to take it before MCAT. No lab writeups in A&P but then there is the practical...

Biochem, depends on how strong your orgo, genetics, and cell bio is...if you don't know anything about molecular genetics, you will have a lot to learn.

fiddler

fiddler said:
no comment on the way prof. ashok is teaching bio. next semester prof. white will be back. he is still on sabatical right now, although he is back at the school.

if i had to guess, i would say cell bio is little less work than A&P although it would help to take it before MCAT. No lab writeups in A&P but then there is the practical...

Biochem, depends on how strong your orgo, genetics, and cell bio is...if you don't know anything about molecular genetics, you will have a lot to learn.

fiddler

I will be going into Biochem with just General Biology and Organic chemistry.
Practical has been described as being extremely draining.

i thought the practicals were give me's. what's this muscle? the problems is people don't study until the weekend before the exam and then they can't be bothered to go into lab to look at the animal. They like to look at the diagrams in the book. Then they are confronted by a animal that is NOT color coded...ooops.

good luck on the biochem.

fiddler

Would it be safe to say that of all the sciences General Biology is the weakest at UMass? That's the impression I'm getting. I guess I'll have to remedy this by taking something like Cell Biology. A lot of the material tested is on cell and macromolecules right??