2008-2009 AMCAS Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorPardi

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This will be the new thread for all AMCAS related questions. All newly created AMCAS threads will be merged into this one. This will operate similar to the long standing What Are My Chances thread.

As questions are asked and answered the PA staff will attempt to put together a table of contents for the thread so the most common questions can be answered without having to ask a new question each time.

All AMCAS LOE questions and discussion should be directed to: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=525299

Thanks,
DP

Members don't see this ad.

I have several questions regarding the '09 AMCAS application process. I assume several other people will have the same questions, so I hope that this can be a thread that people continue to view as their own application processes get underway. It would be awesome if you could just quote this original set of questions and post your responses directly below each. I thank ahead of time anyone who is considerate enough to answer these questions - it would mean a lot!

Since the forums can sometimes get messy temporally, I should make note that the date today is 4/12/08.

1) AMCAS estimates their application will open online officially around 5/6/08. If I have my transcripts sent to AMCAS before 5/6/08 will they likely go through and be processed by AMCAS or returned to me?

2) I shadowed several physicians. I think it would be a little ridiculous to dedicate 5+ EC entries just for separate shadowing experiences. I assume we are supposed to enter all of our shadowing experiences into on EC entry, but I just wanted to make sure this was the case?

3) In the EC section, is it okay to use bullet point descriptions or are we expected to use paragraph format?

4) If I took a course in the Psychology Department called "Introduction to Psychobiology" (class number is labeled as PSC) but there were really no components of biology in it (I know, ridiculous), is it okay if I don't mark it as BCPM? (Obviously I didn't get a good grade in it, hehe).

Finally, a request for a personal favor. Could anybody please look at my MDapplicants profile (http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=09806) and give me any feedback regarding whether I should be hopeful to gain acceptance to any MD school, and if not - the areas in which I can realistically improve to change that?

Thank you so much again.

-Tim

Link to my MDapplicant Profile

I have several questions regarding the '09 AMCAS application process. I assume several other people will have the same questions, so I hope that this can be a thread that people continue to view as their own application processes get underway. It would be awesome if you could just quote this original set of questions and post your responses directly below each. I thank ahead of time anyone who is considerate enough to answer these questions - it would mean a lot!

Since the forums can sometimes get messy temporally, I should make note that the date today is 4/12/08.

1) AMCAS estimates their application will open online officially around 5/6/08. If I have my transcripts sent to AMCAS before 5/6/08 will they likely go through and be processed by AMCAS or returned to me?

2) I shadowed several physicians. I think it would be a little ridiculous to dedicate 5+ EC entries just for separate shadowing experiences. I assume we are supposed to enter all of our shadowing experiences into on EC entry, but I just wanted to make sure this was the case?

3) In the EC section, is it okay to use bullet point descriptions or are we expected to use paragraph format?

4) If I took a course in the Psychology Department called "Introduction to Psychobiology" but there were really no components of biology in it (I know, ridiculous), is it okay if I don't mark it as BCPM? (Obviously I didn't get a good grade in it, hehe).

Finally, a request for a personal favor. Could anybody please look at my MDapplicants profile (http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=09806) and give me any feedback regarding whether I should be hopeful to gain acceptance to any MD school, and if not - the areas in which I can realistically improve to change that?

Thank you so much again.

-Tim

1) Not sure, but I think you have to wait until AMCAs opens
2) Just use it as one entry but use the description to list the different physicians
3)Yes you can use bullet, it might even be bettter
4)Umm I think it might depend on the Class number....Ie ( is it labeled biol 314 or Psyc 314). Not 100% about this though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much. One other quick question: I got an N/S (No work submitted) when I got excused from a class for personal reasons while an undergrad. That isn't going to hurt me is it? I believe they just give you no credits on AMCAS for that... I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some nazi situation where they give you an F or something.

Thanks so much AGAIN!

Tim

4) If I took a course in the Psychology Department called "Introduction to Psychobiology" (class number is labeled as PSC) but there were really no components of biology in it (I know, ridiculous), is it okay if I don't mark it as BCPM? (Obviously I didn't get a good grade in it, hehe).
1) I don't know, sorry. You can call to be sure.
2) As said above, use one of the fifteen and call it "Shadowing experiences" and use the description section to detail them.
3) Agree - bullet points will help it stay more concise. I don't think they should be mini-essays.
4) AMCAS says you should categorize based on what the majority of the content was. If it was mostly psych stuff, call it psych. I did stuff like this and had no problem.

Thanks so much. One other quick question: I got an N/S (No work submitted) when I got excused from a class for personal reasons while an undergrad. That isn't going to hurt me is it? I believe they just give you no credits on AMCAS for that... I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some nazi situation where they give you an F or something.

Thanks so much AGAIN!

Tim
Is it a withdrawal or an Incomplete?....a withdrawal isnt calculated in the GPA, but an Incomplete is sadly calculated as an F.

It's a psychology course, not a biology course...regardless if the course is called Psychobiology or not. I imagine if you tried to pass that off as Biology they would just change it anyway.... so to answer your question, yes it is okay.

in regards to your chances based on your MDapp.....your GPA is below average (slightly) and your MCAT is average. that being said, your ECs look great. you appear to be a good candidate, but on the same hand it woudn't be surprising if you did not get in (depending where you applied) simply b/c the admissions is crazy like that and plenty of peopel have been rejected w/ better stats. i'd apply early and broadly (which is what i plan on doing myself) and i wouldnt rule out DO either.

as far as your other questions, im intersted in the answers people give b/c i am in a similar boat as you!

For those that have been accepted, did you use bullet points or write a narrative?

For those that have been accepted, did you use bullet points or write a narrative?
I read somewhere that LizzyM (a member of an ADCOM) would prefer to see brief bullet points, rather than a long drawn out narrative

I have three other schools other than my university where my two degrees will be from that I have to collect and send transcripts from. Do you guys recommend requesting them a couple of times to send to AMCAS? Just to make sure they actually do it? Two of these schools will probably be reliable, but one is the most godawful unreliable community college I've ever dealt with.

I read somewhere that LizzyM (a member of an ADCOM) would prefer to see brief bullet points, rather than a long drawn out narrative

it makes sense. adcoms have to read how many of these things? if i was in their position, i'd much rather see a concise, bulleted description than a 1500 character manuscript on each activity.

as far as transcripts, you have to wait until the application system opens to obtain the transcript request form

Members don't see this ad :)
as far as transcripts, you have to wait until the application system opens to obtain the transcript request form

I didn't realize there was a transcript request form. If we plan to order transcripts online, how do we do it with a transcript request form? For instance, at one my schools, I have to log in and fill out an online form and then pay for the transcript. How do I send them the transcript request form from AMCAS?

It is a personal choice. I prefer bullet points, but many people are successful with paragraphs. What you need to do with it is be clear, and be concise. If you can do both of these things in paragraph form you should be okay. But I think for most people bullet points work more effectively.

I didn't realize there was a transcript request form. If we plan to order transcripts online, how do we do it with a transcript request form? For instance, at one my schools, I have to log in and fill out an online form and then pay for the transcript. How do I send them the transcript request form from AMCAS?

I went to two different community colleges before I transferred to my undergraduate university and then I went to a third cc for a little post-bac work. I ordered the transcripts online and then I faxed the AMCAS transcript request form to the schools, noting that it should be sent with my transcripts. Then I called to make sure they got the fax and were including the form in with my transcripts. They all got to AMCAS just fine.

I went to two different community colleges before I transferred to my undergraduate university and then I went to a third cc for a little post-bac work. I ordered the transcripts online and then I faxed the AMCAS transcript request form to the schools, noting that it should be sent with my transcripts. Then I called to make sure they got the fax and were including the form in with my transcripts. They all got to AMCAS just fine.

Cool, thanks!

It is a personal choice. I prefer bullet points, but many people are successful with paragraphs. What you need to do with it is be clear, and be concise. If you can do both of these things in paragraph form you should be okay. But I think for most people bullet points work more effectively.

Amen.

Don't tell me what it means to you and don't give me the warm fuzzies or why this helped you cement your interest in medicine. Each member of my adcom team reads at least 100 of these applications-- that is up to 1,500 paragraphs of description. Don't waste our time, it makes us ornery.

Good:
Provided companionship and art supplies to children and adolescents in the pediatric oncology ward.

Too much:
The Dogooder Children's Hospital provided me with and excellent opportunity to make friends with children suffering from the ravages of cancer. I visited kids, played with them, pushed them to the playroom or played with them in their rooms. Some just wanted someone to talk to. My interst in a career in pediatrics was galvanized through this formative experience and I continue to provide a friendly face to childen in need for three hours every Wednesday.

OP, you definitely should apply to OHSU. You have the kind of background that OHSU likes and OHSU is less obsessed with numbers than alot of schools. Also, OHSU is more receptive to out of state applicants than most state schools. I actually think that you would have a decent shot at OHSU, especially if you interview well.

OHSU loves older students with alot of exposure to the medical profession and you seem to fit that profile. Not that you are old and grey and nodding by the fire, but you are not a kid who is still an undergrad. Good luck.

Sorry, but just wanted to make sure. Would you guys just type something like this into the description box:

-blah blah blah blah
-blah blah blah blah
-blah blah blah blah

Granted if you had 3 things to say to describe your experience.

Hi

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised this cycle. :)

Considering your volunteerism and obvious dedication to medicine I would add Mayo and Albany to the list. You're a great "addition to the diversity of the class" type of applicant and those two schools place an emphasis on EC's as far as I know.

Great work :thumbup:

Sorry, but just wanted to make sure. Would you guys just type something like this into the description box:

-blah blah blah blah
-blah blah blah blah
-blah blah blah blah

Granted if you had 3 things to say to describe your experience.
Yes, that's what mine looked like.

How many activities are you guys planning to fill up?

11/15 for me as of right now I think. I can't really include much else that is meaningful.

I feel like I'm just copying and pasting my CV. Should I write anything about lessons learned or anything of that nature?

How many activities are you guys planning to fill up?

11/15 for me as of right now I think. I can't really include much else that is meaningful.

About the same.

Should I submit my primary before this quarter's grades are released (June 9). I do not anticipate a major grade swing (quarterly GPA will range from 3.64 to 4.00) and my cumulative will stay at 3.85 or drop to 3.83.

If you are a junior, don't release your transcripts until the spring quarter grades are released.

If you are a junior, don't release your transcripts until the spring quarter grades are released.

LizzyM, why is it that you shouldn't release your transcript until spring grades come out if you're a junior? If I hold out for spring grades, my institution won't have them available until late June. I don't know how long it will take for my school to send the transcript and have it verified, but I'm afraid it might make my application miss the first wave.

LizzyM, why is it that you shouldn't release your transcript until spring grades come out if you're a junior? If I hold out for spring grades, my institution won't have them available until late June. I don't know how long it will take for my school to send the transcript and have it verified, but I'm afraid it might make my application miss the first wave.

IMHO, you get more traction from 2nd semester grades than you do from being in the first wave.

If you use the bullet point method, should you still list what you learned from the experience? Or just list what you did/earned/were awarded and leave it at that? I thought you were supposed to include what "you got out of it" as well.

If you use the bullet point method, should you still list what you learned from the experience? Or just list what you did/earned/were awarded and leave it at that? I thought you were supposed to include what "you got out of it" as well.

Be brief. If the experience is a relatively routine one for pre-meds, we know what you did & what we expected you to get out of it. If it was something less routine or something unfamiliar to adcoms, you might want to spin it. I do recall someone who worked as a waitress in a beach resort town. Her description went something like:

Served guests at a fast-paced, team-oriented resort-area restaurant.

It is a little more descriptive than "waitress" but it has a few buzz words that adcoms like to see.

2 questions:

If I had a research experience that was stopped after 2 quarters because my PI moved to another state, should I include that?

Is it really worth waiting for late June grades if my GPA is really high and wont be impacted by them at all really, but my MCAT is slightly below average and thus warrants my absolute need to be in the first wave?

2 questions:

If I had a research experience that was stopped after 2 quarters because my PI moved to another state, should I include that?

Of course, why would you leave out 2 quarters of research? If you want to add "my involvement ended when the PI moved out of state" that's fine.
Is it really worth waiting for late June grades if my GPA is really high and wont be impacted by them at all really, but my MCAT is slightly below average and thus warrants my absolute need to be in the first wave?

Do you want the adcom to assume the worst? More information balances a slightly later AMCAS submission date. You'll still be ahead of the July/August MCATers. The first day of AMCAS data dump, my school gets 25% of all the applications that arrive during the cycle. Supplementals go out and LORs and supplementals come back. The first 50% might be on our desk by the time we start reading applications. Much of it is luck of the draw whether you are in the first 1,000 or the second.

More hard data in your file is always better than less.

Of course, why would you leave out 2 quarters of research? If you want to add "my involvement ended when the PI moved out of state" that's fine.

Do you want the adcom to assume the worst? More information balances a slightly later AMCAS submission date. You'll still be ahead of the July/August MCATers. The first day of AMCAS data dump, my school gets 25% of all the applications that arrive during the cycle. Supplementals go out and LORs and supplementals come back. The first 50% might be on our desk by the time we start reading applications. Much of it is luck of the draw whether you are in the first 1,000 or the second.

More hard data in your file is always better than less.

Can you elaborate on this? People always argue about what constitutes "early vs late" and you seem to be indicating here that early is June...and July+ is late...or am I reading too much into this?

Be brief. If the experience is a relatively routine one for pre-meds, we know what you did & what we expected you to get out of it. If it was something less routine or something unfamiliar to adcoms, you might want to spin it. I do recall someone who worked as a waitress in a beach resort town. Her description went something like:

Served guests at a fast-paced, team-oriented resort-area restaurant.

It is a little more descriptive than "waitress" but it has a few buzz words that adcoms like to see.

Thanks for these tips. I literally just went through and cut out all of the warm and fuzzies my advisor told me to include.

However, I am going to have to keep some of my long descriptions b/c I think they are unique....for e.g. my family reunion planning (Treasurer and most recently Activities Coordinator)

Family reunion coordinator is not the sort of thing that the avg adcom member knows about. Feel free to elaborate.

A couple years ago, when the AMCAS went all electronc & the bugs were worked out (that first year was a bear), the dean mentioned that the number of appies that flowed in the first day equaled 25% of all the appies expected for the year. From there the supplementals get sent out, come back, LORs are added to the files, and the whole packet gets sent to the adcom readers. From my back of the envelope calculations, it takes the readers 6 weeks to work through the backlog of applications that come in the first day. More pour in behind that first wave. Whether you are the first read or at the back of the pack within that first wave depends on how quickly you submit your supplemental and some luck.

Thank you so much again.

-Tim

I looked at your mdapps. Remove Howard and Meharry cuz chances of getting in and not being a minority are slim. those are the historically black colleges who seek out more minorities mostly because they were developed when there were still all white people college atmospheres pre-1960 era.

Also, don't be that specific as you were in your objective in your PS because most med students change their mind and they want people who'll be open to exploring their options before making up their mind on what field to practice in.

IMHO, you get more traction from 2nd semester grades than you do from being in the first wave.

LizzyM,

What if we are afraid of the grades for the second quarter. I will have 183 units of grades put in, so the max my gpa can go up is 0.01. Is a 3.84 really all that different from a 3.85... and plus, one of my classes, I will not get a grade until next spring...

LizzyM,

My school is on a quarter system so my transcript availability will be late June for sure. Is it detrimental that I send out my application with a transcript that only goes up to Fall & Winter Quarter of my third year? I do plan on updating the medical schools with my spring grades when the secondaries arrive.

LizzyM,

My school is on a quarter system so my transcript availability will be late June for sure. Is it detrimental that I send out my application with a transcript that only goes up to Fall & Winter Quarter of my third year? I do plan on updating the medical schools with my spring grades when the secondaries arrive.

That was my question too, I neglected to mention that I was on a quarter system however. I am somewhat torn by the idea of not getting my app in as early for some grades that will have no impact on my GPA, but she said they all come in around that time anyways so I dont know....

LizzyM,

My school is also on a quarter system, and school ends around June 15, and it takes about 2-2.5 weeks for processing. Transcripts that have spring grades will be sent out beginning of July. I also have the fear that this is a bit late, given that there may also be a couple days of this and that, the app wont' be complete until mid july. What do you recommend in this case?

Thanks!

In what section should I include publications on which I'm a named author?

Extracurriculars?

In what section should I include publications on which I'm a named author?

Extracurriculars?

The 15 work/activities section. They have a tab specifically for publications as a category choice of EC type. and then list in the description the reference citation for the publication.

Is it too early to send AMCAS your transcripts? I know applications hasn't opened, but they have for AACOMAS. I figured it would be easier for the universities I've attended to send my transcripts if I send just one piece of mail versus two.

My school is also on a quarter system, and school ends around June 15, and it takes about 2-2.5 weeks for processing. Transcripts that have spring grades will be sent out beginning of July. I also have the fear that this is a bit late, given that there may also be a couple days of this and that, the app wont' be complete until mid july. What do you recommend in this case?

Thanks!

Go for it and make up for it by turning around secondaries on a 48 hour deadline rather than taking your time. You can find the essay question prompts here on SDN and draft your essays before the supplementals reach you.

Go for it and make up for it by turning around secondaries on a 48 hour deadline rather than taking your time. You can find the essay question prompts here on SDN and draft your essays before the supplementals reach you.

This is something that others should pay attention to as well. If you are done with your PS, then it might be a good idea to look at the essay prompts from now because sometimes writing can take a while if you are a perfectionist like me when it comes to writing and want time to think about how to say things in your essays.

Another question: If I've had literary stories published in magazines (ala Outside) should I include that? I'm not sure whether or not an adcom would care beyond the fact that I'm a good writer (MCAT score says as much).

Where should I put it if I include it?

Another question: If I've had literary stories published in magazines (ala Outside) should I include that? I'm not sure whether or not an adcom would care beyond the fact that I'm a good writer (MCAT score says as much).

Where should I put it if I include it?

if writing is something you're passionate about and you consider this an accomplishment, you can put it under the work/activities section on your primaries.
i personally think that's pretty cool and it'll give you something to chat about at your interviews!

LizzyM,

Would you recommend sending an unofficial transcripts (with spring grades) along with the secondaries as well?