2009-2010 University of Michigan Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

A. NON-ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES. List up to six of your most valued recent non-academic activities. Include information about hours per week and duration of involvement for each.

EXAMPLE: Fayette County Health Department. Nurse's aide for migrant worker program. 8 hrs/wk. 3 months.

B.1 ESSAY.
Select one experience from your list in part A (Non-Academic Activities) and describe in a brief essay its impact on your decision to go into medicine. Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

MSTP applicants: Instead of the above, briefly describe why you decided to apply to the University of Michigan MSTP. If you are interested in a specific department, program, or area of research for your Ph.D., please provide a brief explanation (we recognize that your interests may change).

B.2 ESSAY.
At the University of Michigan Medical School, we are committed to building a superb educational community with students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds. What would you as an individual bring to our medical school community? Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am applying to Michigan this year and have read a little about how they give automatic interviews to some people if they have high enough stats.

Does this mean that you don't have to do the secondary at all (because that would be pretty sweet)?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying to Michigan this year and have read a little about how they give automatic interviews to some people if they have high enough stats.

Does this mean that you don't have to do the secondary at all (because that would be pretty sweet)?
I'm pretty sure they still make you fill out the secondary. They just invite you for an interview before you submit the secondary. Good luck!

I'm pretty sure they still make you fill out the secondary. They just invite you for an interview before you submit the secondary. Good luck!

This is correct, if you get an auto invite you still have to complete the secondary. But it's still nice because you don't need to have the secondary done til' later in the summer, so you can concentrate on your other ones first.

Hey all,

I have gotten conflicting information on this and I want to know if any of you have heard anything definitive. I know that the auto-interview at mich is for extremely high stats applicants (3.9+ 38+ or something). However, is school prestige a factor in getting an auto interview? For instance, if someone went to a state school or mid-range private school but had a 4.0/41, would he/she not receive the automatic invite?

This is correct, if you get an auto invite you still have to complete the secondary. But it's still nice because you don't need to have the secondary done til' later in the summer, so you can concentrate on your other ones first.

Thanks for the info.

Sorry to bump...but does anyone have info about the school prestige factor in the granting of auto-interviews?

Sorry to bump...but does anyone have info about the school prestige factor in the granting of auto-interviews?

Why? Which school did you go to?

Never mind - I think you'll do fine

Hey all,

I have gotten conflicting information on this and I want to know if any of you have heard anything definitive. I know that the auto-interview at mich is for extremely high stats applicants (3.9+ 38+ or something). However, is school prestige a factor in getting an auto interview? For instance, if someone went to a state school or mid-range private school but had a 4.0/41, would he/she not receive the automatic invite?

I got auto-invited despite coming from a non-prestigous school.

I'm not sure as to the general policy on this though:shrug:

I did not get an auto-interview with high numbers from a pretty well respected school. However, I got an interview anyway, was accepted and eventually received a Dean's Scholarship. Moral of the story: auto-interviews are great, but don't stress over it. If you are a strong candidate, you'll be noticed whether it happens before or after you submit the secondary. Good luck to all.

Hey all,

I'm pretty sure it's top 20 or 25 undergrad schools in the country, with similar stats as you mentioned above for the auto-interview.

I did not get an auto-interview with high numbers from a pretty well respected school. However, I got an interview anyway, was accepted and eventually received a Dean's Scholarship. Moral of the story: auto-interviews are great, but don't stress over it. If you are a strong candidate, you'll be noticed whether it happens before or after you submit the secondary. Good luck to all.

Yup - I also was above the cut-off for stats and didn't get the automatic interview (I guess my school wasn't on the "list"). But it turned out not to be a disadvantage at all - I still interviewed early and was accepted on October 15th. So, don't worry too much about the automatic invites.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

i got an auto-invite...38/3.77 from UT-Austin..not sure if being engr'ing had any influence though

When do the auto-interviews go out? My school isn't well-known at all, so I'm not really expecting one, but it'd be nice to know anyway.

When did you do the actual interview? I just added Michigan to my AMCAS and resubmitted today, so I'm not sure how that would affect me.

Just got the email inviting me to complete the secondary (11:00 A.M. EDT). Anyone get an automatic interview invite? I didn't.

Hey guys, what's up with this? I got the email for the secondary today but something must have been goofed up

"Greetings from the University of Michigan Medical School.
We have received your AMCAS application for the entering class of 2009 and appreciate your interest. This email will inform you of your next steps and provide subsequent information regarding our processes."

is this a mistake?

Mine says the same thing. I'm sure it's a mistake.

I didn't get an auto-invite either...I figured as much.

Btw, is anyone able to fill out the "contact info" on the secondary. I am getting some sort of bug on it.

I didn't get an auto-invite either...I figured as much.

Btw, is anyone able to fill out the "contact info" on the secondary. I am getting some sort of bug on it.
Same:

"500 Servlet Exception"

if you guys are wondering, i got an auto-invite for interview today. i still have to turn in the secondary, lors, photo. my stats are just above the cutoffs mentioned earlier in the thread. GLUCK!

Grats gbc. My stats are over the cutoffs as well but i guess my school was not prestigious enough for Michigan (boo!).

Hopefully they will figure out that secondary bug at some point. I would call them but I'm at work...

i think the auto invite numbers are a 3.8/38 +/- depending on the year

I just got their auto-interview invite, but ...hold on,let me quote the email I received:

"Congratulations! I am pleased to invite you to interview for a position in the Class of 2013 at the University of Michigan Medical School. We hope you will find the interview day at the University of Michigan informative, enjoyable and rewarding......."

What the heck is that? Is it a typo or....hehe
Hope that they are not sending me the invitation due to error!:confused:

how daunting is their secondary?

Wait they screen here? I got an email and I'm OOS. Does that mean I was screened?

The coursework section says advanced chemistry courses such as phys chem are acceptable, does this mean we should put a class like phys chem in the inorganic chem line or is that line strictly for chem 1/2? I'm wondering because I have AP credit for chem 1 and chem 1 lab, it shows up on my transcript, and I'm not sure if I should list the class I got AP credit for or if I should list something like pchem.

Last edited:
Wait they screen here? I got an email and I'm OOS. Does that mean I was screened?

No. Some people get automatic invites, others just get secondaries, but everyone gets past the primary.

No. Some people get automatic invites, others just get secondaries, but everyone gets past the primary.

Okay. Thanks. I was excited for like 2 minutes.:laugh:

I just got their auto-interview invite, but ...hold on,let me quote the email I received:

"Congratulations! I am pleased to invite you to interview for a position in the Class of 2013 at the University of Michigan Medical School. We hope you will find the interview day at the University of Michigan informative, enjoyable and rewarding......."

What the heck is that? Is it a typo or....hehe
Hope that they are not sending me the invitation due to error!:confused:

Are 8/28 and 9/11 your only two choices? I kind of figured there'd be at least a couple more.

I was reading through their flow chart and it seems like we should submit our app and then they will either request LORs from us or not (kinda like Mayo). Is this right, or am I reading it wrong?

So its probably a stupid question, but for the 6 most valued activites, I was planning on including my lab job (I have been there since high school ~5 years). I am assuming this would count as a non academic activity?

Also, I was paid for my work there and was planning on answering yes to the question about financing undergraduate education. Its probably a trivial concern, but they shouldn't think that I worked in a lab for 17hr/wk and worked for 17hr/wk?

Also, for my labs for Chemistry, they were listed as:
Gen. Chem Class
Gen Chem Lab 1
Gen Chem Lab 2
P Chem Class.

Orgo 1 Class
Orgo I Lab
Orgo 2 Class
Orgo 2 Lab

How have you gone about adding all these labs even though there is only 1 spot. Should I just edit the entries from AMCAS that pop up and combine the labs and classes?

what do i do if i haven't taken biochem yet. do i just leave that part blank on the coursework section?

Do you guys know what the average MCAT/GPA were for a entering class?

Yay for the secondary!

I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem as I am... for the course listings on the secondary, my organic chemistry lab was a separate class for chem/biochem majors (different class code). How did you all list your labs that weren't included with the lecture?

I go to an OOS state university, 38 MCAT, 3.95 GPA and did not receive an auto-invite. Who knows what their screening process is...

Question: For part A, where it says to list 6 significant "non-academic activities", what do you guys think about listing research and TA experiences? That's sort of academic, but also extracurricular. Not sure if I should list those or not. Thoughts?

Thanks! :)

Yay for the secondary!

I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem as I am... for the course listings on the secondary, my organic chemistry lab was a separate class for chem/biochem majors (different class code). How did you all list your labs that weren't included with the lecture?

Bump on this question. I have no idea what to do here. I was leaning towards putting in the lecture course and then just selecting "yes" to where it says "course included lab". Thoughts?

state U.. 3.9+ / 40+.. no auto invite :thumbdown:

I go to an OOS state university, 38 MCAT, 3.95 GPA and did not receive an auto-invite. Who knows what their screening process is...

Question: For part A, where it says to list 6 significant "non-academic activities", what do you guys think about listing research and TA experiences? That's sort of academic, but also extracurricular. Not sure if I should list those or not. Thoughts?

Thanks! :)
I consider those to be academic activities

Bump on this question. I have no idea what to do here. I was leaning towards putting in the lecture course and then just selecting "yes" to where it says "course included lab". Thoughts?

I called the admissions office and asked them what to do with listing my lab. The lady was puzzled at first with the lack of there being a separate lab tab and told me to include the lab course in parenthesis on the same line as the lecture info. I tried it out but the information didn't fit so I just put (CHEM ###, Lab, # units) and selected "yes" under "course included lab" instead. Not sure what to do otherwise. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.