Mizzou applicants c/o 2015?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any mizzou CVM applicants applying for class of 2015?? I'm hoping to find anyone who wants to trade essays to read, especially since we don't have the normal PS like most other schools take? PM or respond here if you want to trade or anything!!

BTW I LOVE that we get more time than most other schools to get all our stuff in :)

Members don't see this ad.

I remember how anxious I was with the application process!!! Mizzou is a great school...love it! Let me know if you have any questions about the vet school...

Are you applying on the OOS application in addition to VMCAS or the separate one just for Mizzou?
I did the OOS supp with the four essays (three done, one still not started), and I'd be happy to read through yours. Good luck, it's a nice lengthy app, but at least we have till November!

Members don't see this ad :)
Heyo, I'm also doing the OOS application in addition to VMCAS. I've got 3 of 4 done... that last one is giving me pause on... what to say. lol.

I'm more than happy to take a read through yours if you need someone to run it by. The only thing that irritated me about these essays was that it says "24 lines of 80 characters each" or whatever, and yet... that comes out to be 1900 something characters but my 1900 character essays were "too long". Bah. I don't know how to be succinct it seems lol. :D

Good luck guys! Mizzou's a great school! Happy to answer any questions while I procrastinate studying...not that I do that or anything. ;)

I'm applying too! :)
OOS with VMCAS.
Having trouble not repeating what I said in my PS for the first question.

I'm applying too! :)
OOS with VMCAS.
Having trouble not repeating what I said in my PS for the first question.

Me too, exact same thing. I've submitted all my other supplementals and my VMCAS, but I'm stuck on the stupid first question. It's so vague and hard to answer without going into the same themes as the VMCAS PS. I'm going to try to just emphasize why DVM in particular rather than tech or behaviorist etc other jobs with animals. Though some overlap is going to be impossible to avoid.

That's what I did for my answer. There's not enough space to reiterate the PS reasons so I essentially focused on one of my biggest fascinations that has turned into a reason for why I wanted to do this and why I had to specifically be a vet. I basically took the question as a little more specific than the PS... my interpretation was "Why out of all the careers that work with animals do you want to be a veterinarian specifically" because they stated "other than your love for animals" (duh anyway, not like I would have included that, but it seemed to make it imply "Why vet as opposed to tech/kennel owner/behaviorist/dog trainer/whatever?")

The one I'm struggling with is "What life experiences, talents or traits do you have that make you unique and may enhance the diversity of the MU College of Veterinary Medicine?"

Because I don't know what makes me unique or how I could enhance diversity. I'm about as diverse as every other in her 20's white college kid who spent the last 16 years in school. >_>

Ugh, I just tried to get a response going for the first question and because it's such a short space and I didn't want to repeat my PS, I stayed pretty general and reading over my answer, it sounds like crap but I don't know what to write.

In terms of the diversity essay - pick anything at all about your life that makes you stand out. Travel? Living in a big city where you learned x and are more open because of it? Exposure to other cultures? Any life experiences at all that make you stand out and expose you to more than just school, etc? Things that have changed your perspective? Think of diversity in a much broader way than you normally would. Be creative, there's always a way to make yourself shine.

I am applying IS. I've finished the first essay and the diversity one as well.

I agree with thedogisgreen on the diversity essay; choose something that makes you stand out. A lot of times when we hear "diversity", we think of socioeconomic status, race, etc. but this essay doesn't have to be about that. I chose to write about my biggest activity in college (going on 5 years of being involved in it) and how I grew as an individual from it and will be able to apply it in the future.

Since Mizzou is my IS, I approached the first essay as though it was my PS. I just thought about why I liked vet med specifically, thought of a story (read: an experience I had in vet med) that portrayed those factors, and wrote.

My goal is to write one more this weekend, but we'll see how that goes.

Last edited:
Well, unlike you organized folks, I haven't submitted my VMCAS OR finished my personal statement. And no, I have not started any of the essays for the supplemental.

Bahaha. But I've read the questions, and yes, they are kind of difficult. :/

Hey, I haven't clicked submit on VMCAS yet either, hahah! I wouldn't exactly call myself organized. I have like, 2 essays across the board for schools I'm applying to... at least.... to finish this week. Hopefully this weekend. Totally dragging my feet and I need to quit it!

We can do it Breenie! :D

Thanks for the advice on the diversity essay guys. I guess I hadn't considered those things I do all the time to be "diversity". I think I'm ready to give it a shot this weekend, whoohoo!

Thanks for the advice on the diversity essay guys. I guess I hadn't considered those things I do all the time to be "diversity". I think I'm ready to give it a shot this weekend, whoohoo!

I was stuck on it too until I was talking to my SO who is in med school. He was your typical 22 y/o white male during the application period, so I now know how he felt a year ago... but he gave me the advice that I should just think about what would make me stand out, and that it's not as narrow of a range of topics as I was thinking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so I just decided to apply to Mizzou within oooo the last 24 hours and I'm super confused. VMCAS states oos students need only complete the VMCAS but is there an oos app too? And what is with the November deadline?

For Mizzou, you have the option of applying through their direct application only (https://cvmsecure.missouri.edu/admission_application/help/regular_application_overview.php) or their supplemental application + designating them on VMCAS. (https://cvmsecure.missouri.edu/admission_application/help/supplemental_application_overview.php)

As an OOS student, I'm doing VMCAS + the supplemental, because I figured the direct would repeat a lot of what VMCAS was already asking for. Its also one less place my evaluators have to send a letter since I'm already asking them to mail to TMDSAS too in addition to VMCAS.

Whichever works for you! :)

And yes, their supplemental or direct application is due Nov 1. No idea why, just is. :)

It's nice that the supplemental is due a bit later though, I recall spending a decent amount of time on it.

Oh! If you guys have questions about the school, classes, the town, and such you can definitely PM me or post here. We just finished our first round of tests last week so I can get some breathing room and come on the forum again.

Once VMCAS was in a couple weeks ago, all I had left was the first essay on the Mizzou supp. Decided to take a little break from apps and work on it later. Now it's practically the middle of Oct and I still have no motivation to touch it. Eek, want so badly to get it out of the way and be completely done with apps (well, still have to wait on Wisconsin), but I can't get going on that essay. Have a rough draft, but it's complete crap, so probably need to start from scratch. You guys done with Mizzou or trouble getting it going since the big stuff is done?

Once VMCAS was in a couple weeks ago, all I had left was the first essay on the Mizzou supp. Decided to take a little break from apps and work on it later. Now it's practically the middle of Oct and I still have no motivation to touch it. Eek, want so badly to get it out of the way and be completely done with apps (well, still have to wait on Wisconsin), but I can't get going on that essay. Have a rough draft, but it's complete crap, so probably need to start from scratch. You guys done with Mizzou or trouble getting it going since the big stuff is done?

Since Mizzou is the only one I'm applying to, I don't think I'm as burnt out on it as you guys may be. I just finished writing my last essay today (animals in research and teaching), but need to proofread it and edit it tons. Then it'll be one last run through the application, and I'll hit submit. I gave myself a deadline of 2 weeks before it's officially due, just so I wouldn't wait until the last minute. Maybe setting a date for when you'd like to submit would motivate you a little? It's easy to blow it off and say, "Oh, I have like 3 weeks left. I can do it later."

Krist, I'll switch essays with you. (As long as you don't steal my stuff, lol)

pm me yours and I'll pm you mine

Just submitted...this is the only school I applied to this year so I'm now freaking out a little haha not sure what to do with myself!! I read through my essays about ten thousand times before submitting (out loud haha) i think my roommate wanted to kill me!! but im glad its done, I just wish the whole process didnt take so long the waiting is going to suck!!

When are y'all picking for interviews? I'm going January 9th. :)

I am going January 9th as well. I am so glad they let us choose an interview day/time.

I'm not sure what dates I'm picking yet...I'm curious though if anyone else will ask to sit in on any classes. I know some of my friends did this with a couple of schools last year and it was really helpful to them.

Does anyone know if they are still sending out interview invites?

Does anyone know if they are still sending out interview invites?

I was wondering the same thing. Looking at the interview invite thread from last year it looks like everyone got the email on the same day. Anyone know if this is true for this year too?

I got antsy since rejection letters came out on December 7th last year (according to the 2014 rejection thread) and I haven't received an interview or a rejection this year so I decided to call Missouri to see what was going on with the invitations/rejections for nonresidents.

The woman I spoke with (Cathy I think) said that 175 interview invitations have already been sent out. The official rejection letters will be sent out January 1st. There is a pool of 50 applicants that won't receive those rejection letters and are in the proverbial "holding pen". She said that they would contact those people as soon as they figured out what to do with them in January or February.

So at least I can stop obsessively checking my mailbox, expecting that rejection letter until the new year!

There is a pool of 50 applicants that won't receive those rejection letters and are in the proverbial "holding pen". She said that they would contact those people as soon as they figured out what to do with them in January or February.

Thanks for the update! I haven't received an interview invitation either :(. I'm just a little confused about this pool of 50 applicants. Do you mean that they haven't decided yet if these people are going to get an interview?

Thanks for the update! I haven't received an interview invitation either :(. I'm just a little confused about this pool of 50 applicants. Do you mean that they haven't decided yet if these people are going to get an interview?

Yeah I think it's kind of like what Ohio is doing. From what she told me it sounds like it's a group of back-up interviewees. So maybe if they don't like enough of the people that go for interviews in early January they'll call some people from the pool. She seemed almost a little confused about the pool herself. She kind of said that they didn't know what to do with the people in it or when those people would hear something.

Here's to hoping we're both in that back-up pool! And that we both get called!

Here's to hoping we're both in that back-up pool! And that we both get called!

Definitely!:xf::xf: We just have to hold our heads up and hope for the best!

I know that I am having a particularly hard time with that today, because I haven't heard ANYTHING from ANYONE yet. I also applied to Kansas, and it looks like they are done sending out invites too.

I still have three other schools in the running, but sometimes it is really hard to stay positive. :(

Good luck to you (and everyone!) :oops:

Good luck, and stay positive! You never know what'll happen in this crazy process...

While I'm here, any other in-state people just hanging out for the time being? This was the only school I applied to, like krist.

Hm, I'm surprised that so few SDNers got Mizzou interviews. Does what you are saying mean that all interviews besides the 50 in the holding pool have been sent out? Quite disappointing, but I guess there's still a bit of hope... :confused:

Hm, I'm surprised that so few SDNers got Mizzou interviews. Does what you are saying mean that all interviews besides the 50 in the holding pool have been sent out? Quite disappointing, but I guess there's still a bit of hope... :confused:

I guess I didn't make that totally clear when I posted the info I got over the phone before, sorry! But yes, all interview invitations have already been sent out. I don't know why they're waiting to send out the rejection letters. It sounded like they already had their pool of 50 finalized...but I guess they have some reason for the delay.

Boo, why make us panic and wonder if they already know what they are going to do with us? I hated that with a few of the schools last year, waiting and waiting and pretty much knowing I was rejected but not hearing anything definite for weeks. :mad:

Boo, why make us panic and wonder if they already know what they are going to do with us? I hated that with a few of the schools last year, waiting and waiting and pretty much knowing I was rejected but not hearing anything definite for weeks. :mad:

Agreed. :bang:

I emailed them regarding interview invites and they said that they've already extended their invites, but they're waiting to see if the Dean will extend additional invites. I think that's the delay. They said they will notify everyone shortly after Jan 1st.

So I guess since I haven't received an interview I can assume that I've been rejected :( That makes 4/7.

Rejected from:

Mizzou
Virginia-Maryland
Illinois
Colorado State

Awaiting:
UC Davis
Washington State
Atlantic Veterinary College

This. Is. Torture. :(

I got a snail mail letter from Mizzou today telling me that my application is being held under review and that I may *potentially* be placed on their alternate list. I guess its not an outright rejection, but I can't imagine my chances are very good.

I got a snail mail letter from Mizzou today telling me that my application is being held under review and that I may *potentially* be placed on their alternate list. I guess its not an outright rejection, but I can't imagine my chances are very good.

We had known that all regular interview invitations were already sent out in November so at least you got the better of the two letters left! Hopefully you'll get called for an interview! Now I'm going to have to obsessively look for my mailman for the next few days!

I feel really bad for my mailman now that I've been given this valuable piece of information!

I feel really bad for my mailman now that I've been given this valuable piece of information!

I feel really bad for my coworkers who will deal with me panicking over whether something is in the mailbox but I can't go home and check till night. Now that people are starting to get letters from more of the schools that I applied to, the panic is really getting going...:scared:

I have an interview at Mizzou on Friday at 1...I am so nervous, but I am trying to stay calm by looking over current events, my application...my worst nightmare is to get a question that takes me completely by surprise!
Anyway, good luck to anyone who is either interviewing or waiting to hear back, I'll let you guys know how it goes :)

I have an interview at Mizzou on Friday at 1...I am so nervous, but I am trying to stay calm by looking over current events, my application...my worst nightmare is to get a question that takes me completely by surprise!
Anyway, good luck to anyone who is either interviewing or waiting to hear back, I'll let you guys know how it goes :)

Don't be nervous! It was my first interview last year, and they make you feel sooooo welcome and comfortable. All of the current students and staff who help out with the day are just lovely and put your mind at ease. The interview is very much a "getting to know you" conversation - they're not trying to trip you up at all. If you get a question that surprises you, just relax and take a moment to think about it. Don't let yourself get flustered. Your composure and ability to respond clearly is more important that having the "right" answer.

Good luck!

Don't be nervous! It was my first interview last year, and they make you feel sooooo welcome and comfortable. All of the current students and staff who help out with the day are just lovely and put your mind at ease. The interview is very much a "getting to know you" conversation - they're not trying to trip you up at all. If you get a question that surprises you, just relax and take a moment to think about it. Don't let yourself get flustered. Your composure and ability to respond clearly is more important that having the "right" answer.

Good luck!

Thank you so much NittanyKitty! Just reading that made me feel more relaxed about the interview. I may need to write it down somewhere and reread it on Friday, lol

Just dropping by to wish everyone who is interviewing this weekend good luck! :luck::xf:

Hey everyone!! So I have a bit of a situation...

I got sick last week, and as a result I have completely lost my voice. Today is the second day that I haven't been able to talk at all, except whispering. My interview is on Saturday, and I am unsure what I should/will do if I don't get my voice back in time. I know I will most likely be able to talk again by Saturday, but the 'what if I can't' scares me!

Should I contact the admissions office now? Should I just play it out and hope I have my voice in time for the interview? What if I can't talk for my interview? lol

Hey everyone!! So I have a bit of a situation...

I got sick last week, and as a result I have completely lost my voice. Today is the second day that I haven't been able to talk at all, except whispering. My interview is on Saturday, and I am unsure what I should/will do if I don't get my voice back in time. I know I will most likely be able to talk again by Saturday, but the 'what if I can't' scares me!

Should I contact the admissions office now? Should I just play it out and hope I have my voice in time for the interview? What if I can't talk for my interview? lol

I get laryngitis quite frequently and my advice is to not speak at all. That's not really possible so try to speak as little as humanly possible. Also, don't whisper! Whispering is the same as screaming on your vocal chords (or so I've read). When you do have to talk just talk in your crackly voice.

You still have two and a half days to recover. And even if your voice is bad for your interview, I feel like they'll be understanding. It's not like you chose to have laryngitis!

I don't think it's necessary to call the admissions office. Plus...how would you speak to them if you can't speak above a whisper right now??

Good luck and I hope you feel better for your interview!!

I get laryngitis quite frequently and my advice is to not speak at all. That's not really possible so try to speak as little as humanly possible. Also, don't whisper! Whispering is the same as screaming on your vocal chords (or so I've read). When you do have to talk just talk in your crackly voice.

You still have two and a half days to recover. And even if your voice is bad for your interview, I feel like they'll be understanding. It's not like you chose to have laryngitis!

I don't think it's necessary to call the admissions office. Plus...how would you speak to them if you can't speak above a whisper right now??

Good luck and I hope you feel better for your interview!!

I've been drinking a lot of hot tea with lemon and honey, but the not talking part is very difficult! My friends have started to yell at me when I talk :laugh:. I also heard that whispering is worse, but it's so much easier since people can understand me better and it doesn't hurt my throat haha.

I would have emailed admissions, definitely not called hah. I know the interviewers would be understanding, but at the same time I feel like it would be more difficult for them to get to know me in the short 15 minutes if they can barely talk to me! I guess if it happens I know I'll definitely leave a memorable impression :p.

I'm instate too, just hanging out... I hate that all IS applicants for Mizzou get interviews... that makes me feel like they "have" to let me interview:mad:

Good luck at your interviews everyone! I'll be around for some of them as an ambassador and can't wait to meet some of you! If you have any questions/concerns feel free to post or PM me on here about whatever.

I'm instate too, just hanging out... I hate that all IS applicants for Mizzou get interviews... that makes me feel like they "have" to let me interview:mad:

I remember feeling the same way last year but don't worry about it. The admissions panel at Mizzou really does seem to give everyone a fair shot so don't feel like they're 'obligated'. They want to get to know you a little and if they let me in they're willing to overlook a few little flaws in an app. The wait was a killer though so I can sympathize!

Good luck at your interviews everyone! I'll be around for some of them as an ambassador and can't wait to meet some of you! If you have any questions/concerns feel free to post or PM me on here about whatever.

I remember feeling the same way last year but don't worry about it. The admissions panel at Mizzou really does seem to give everyone a fair shot so don't feel like they're 'obligated'. They want to get to know you a little and if they let me in they're willing to overlook a few little flaws in an app. The wait was a killer though so I can sympathize!

Well, with interviews at other schools, I feel like "I made it farther than most people so I have a good chance". I've been rejected by Mizzou before, and they said it was a lack of food animal hours, so I wish I would have know where I stood before the interview... now I feel like the interview was just a formality since I wasn't getting in anyways. I wish you could get some statistics before the interview, for example KSU says "only 350 out of 1200 applicants get interviews", so I knew I was at least 350/1200. I have NO idea where I stand with Mizzou, and I HATE IT!!!