Mizzou applicants c/o 2015?!?!

Started by krist
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yea, the link works fine. See I've gotten to the page before when someone posted that link earlier. I'm just saying I can't find the group just using a facebook search alone. So if the rest of the class have this same problem and none of them are SDNers, they probably won't ever find it. Or someone will just eventually start a new group. Unless of course this is just an issue with my facebook, which I suppose is a possibility too. I don't know why I'm even concerned lol, I'm still waiting on my stupid letter.
 
Wow, it's nice to see more people are finally finding the fb group. It was kinda lonely in there for a little bit 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats Vet Med!!!

Soooo.... I was thinking... what about school supplies?? Besides the fact that these would be the most fun and exciting supplies I've ever purchased-- I know many schools require you to have, say, two sets of solid scrubs, a lab coat, a dissecting kit, etc. Does anyone know when/if we get such a list from MU?

'Cause-- not that I have any money right now, you know, but I WANT TO GO SHOPPING.
 
I finally joined SDN after a year of stalking, because I know I am going to MU next year!

I'm dying to know about supplies, housing options, classes...all that kind of stuff and I'm hoping it comes in a packet once they get my acceptance!
 
Is anyone else creating a budget plan? I do not think that MIZZOUs is very realistic. Almost 10,000 for room and board? Almost 7,000 for personal transport?

I say we cram 10 people into a house 10 seconds away from the school and eat ramon noodle and cut those numbers in at least half.


Haha yeah they definitely overestimate to make sure you take enough out, but a budget is a very good idea.

Same here about the supplies! Any current students have any insight on this?
 
Soooo.... I was thinking... what about school supplies?? Besides the fact that these would be the most fun and exciting supplies I've ever purchased-- I know many schools require you to have, say, two sets of solid scrubs, a lab coat, a dissecting kit, etc. Does anyone know when/if we get such a list from MU?

'SHOPPING.

We are on spring break right now, so I have actual time to post something!
You really won't get a TON of information on supplies you will be needing for Mizzou. For anatomy lab, they do want you to wear either scrubs or a lab coat over your clothes. For the scrubs, it definitely doesn't matter if you get weird colors or designs..whatever is cheap is best. These clothes get really gross...especially lab coats, so don't spend too much money on this stuff or if you do, invest in bleach. I'd say the class is 50-50 on scrubs and lab coats this year. I mix it up depending on how lazy I feel that day. If it works the same way, you'll get an email in the summer about books. Some are definitely more essential than others, so if you can stand it, hold off on buying them until you talk to some second years. Also, you can buy your own dissection kit, but the bookstore has pretty cheap ones that have all the tools you will need for the year.

Just an f.y.i., for a while, it will feel as if you are hearing nothing from mizzou...but I promise, it all comes together and soon, you WILL be sitting in class in august, and time FLIES. More information will start trickling in during the summer too. Also, if you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help...at least this week anyway....
 
We are on spring break right now, so I have actual time to post something!
You really won't get a TON of information on supplies you will be needing for Mizzou. For anatomy lab, they do want you to wear either scrubs or a lab coat over your clothes. For the scrubs, it definitely doesn't matter if you get weird colors or designs..whatever is cheap is best. These clothes get really gross...especially lab coats, so don't spend too much money on this stuff or if you do, invest in bleach. I'd say the class is 50-50 on scrubs and lab coats this year. I mix it up depending on how lazy I feel that day. If it works the same way, you'll get an email in the summer about books. Some are definitely more essential than others, so if you can stand it, hold off on buying them until you talk to some second years. Also, you can buy your own dissection kit, but the bookstore has pretty cheap ones that have all the tools you will need for the year.

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for... and while the practical side of me is relieved that I already have 23487025720 scrub tops/bottoms and a couple lab coats, the shopping-frenzied side of me is sorely disappointed. Oh well. At least I can buy a dissection kit.

I sent in my acceptance form and deposit today!

My attempt at quoting= FAIL
 
Cool, thanks for the reply!

I actually don't have a lab coat, and only have a few pairs of scrubs because I never actually worked in a clinic. It looks like I'll be holding off on the shopping as well, though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm dying to know about supplies, housing options, classes...all that kind of stuff and I'm hoping it comes in a packet once they get my acceptance!


Since I have time, I'll tackle housing options and classes as well.

Housing around Columbia is pretty cheap. Last year, I wasn't really having any luck online searching, so I came down in April and signed a lease then. I live REALLY close to school within walking distance. My rent is pretty high compared to my other classmates, but I live alone, in a two bedroom, and within walking distance. And even though my personal rent is high, financial aid is MORE THAN enough to cover my expenses. There are plenty of other cheap options as well....apartments, duplexes, houses. Most of the apartments just started to lease during the past few weeks. On the group facebook page, there will probably be people looking for roommates if you wanted to go that route. I'm very type A, so I was stressing over the housing situation, but it will work out!! Also, Mizzou really won't help THAT much beyond getting you in touch with current students. But there are plenty of cheap nice places in Columbia, so don't worry too much about it.

Classes...geez...where to start. First of all, enjoy your summer. Don't study. Trust me...not worth it. You start with cell bio, physiology, anatomy, and micro anatomy. There's a schedule on the Mizzou CVM website that's accurate. For blocks 1 and 2, tests are pretty spread out...maybe 1 or 2 a week from what a remember. For me, classes were tough to get used to at first. They aren't really THAT different than undergrad...just more detail and faster. It takes some time to figure out your study techniques...who you can study with, who you CAN'T study with, and how much to study. Hopefully, they continue to big sib lil sib program this year. Big sibs normally pass down something very very important...I shouldn't say too much, but let's just say, they tend to be helpful study aids.

I don't really want to say what classes I liked and what I didn't...it's all preference in vet school. Some people like repro, some like cardio, some weirdos probably like respiratory. The best thing about Mizzou is the structure of the curriculum. The classes seem to just go together nicely, and things build nicely. If you want specifics about courses, feel free to PM me.
 
Anyone know of a place to get in touch with older vet students who need roommates? I would really love if at least one of my roommates was a 2nd year or older, I just think it would work well for me!

I am of course obsessing over housing because it is better than studying for the classes I'm in now 🙂
 
Anyone know of a place to get in touch with older vet students who need roommates? I would really love if at least one of my roommates was a 2nd year or older, I just think it would work well for me!

I am of course obsessing over housing because it is better than studying for the classes I'm in now 🙂

Join the facebook group 'MU CVM class of 2015.' There is a link to the vet school message board an upperclassman posted on there!
 
Hey guys! Where is everyone in the housing search?? Do most of you guys already have a place or are you planning on visiting in the summer to finalize things?
 
Hey guys! Where is everyone in the housing search?? Do most of you guys already have a place or are you planning on visiting in the summer to finalize things?

If you're not in the facebook group, definitely join! There are plenty of people looking for roommies, both current students and those in c/o 2015. I'm already done with my searching, but my SO and I need to move in June so we've had our stuff finalized for a few weeks now. Good luck!
 
I just got a message from my big sib, which means that they've already chosen little sibs, which is so exciting!! Anyone else hear from theirs?
 
Heard from mine! She is friends with the second year that's one of my housemates next year so that's pretty cool. She seems really nice!
 
Hey Class of 2015!!

Have you guys made a FB group yet?? I wanted to post on the wall because I have some books from my first year to sell, all in excellent condition. I also sent an e-mail out to the class list serve.

**Nevermind, I should really read old posts. 🙂