UTK c/o 2015 Hopefuls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KKibo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, who all is applying to good 'ole Tennessee?? :D

Members don't see this ad.

I am, for the third time. Hoping this will be my lucky year! :)

I applied, 1st time. I wasn't able to visit the school, but I love that area and its about 1/2 way form where I live in Florida and most of my family in the Chicago area.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied, 1st time. I wasn't able to visit the school, but I love that area and its about 1/2 way form where I live in Florida and most of my family in the Chicago area.

it's an awesome campus and the area is really nice! Especially if you like outdoor activities :D

I did! Never been there either, but it is close to Kentucky, and I love Kentucky :) Too bad I'm a Florida Gator fan...

I really like UTK... BUT I am in a bit of a pickle.

They did not approve of my 3.0 credit Biochem I am currently taking (at Temple) and told me I could take an approved online course through the University of Minnesota. I am like okay great but what about the additional 2 grand or so I would have to spend on it. And of course I would have to sign up for this class BEFORE I had a potential interview invite, if I even get one... who knows if I will or not. I'd like to think I am a good candidate but as we all know, its never easy to predict. So I am stuck...
Do I sign up for the class in hopes of getting in (it is a lot of money for something I would be almost repeating)...
I do not want to waste all this time and money on it and then not even get an interview.
Lots of decisions to make... :confused: and of course I know I am the one that ultimately needs to decide. Ugh.

Futurevet that is a huge bummer! Do you know if all of the other schools you applied to will accept your biochem class? Because if there is at least one other one that will not, then it will make it more worth the money to take it online.

I really like UTK... BUT I am in a bit of a pickle.

They did not approve of my 3.0 credit Biochem I am currently taking (at Temple) and told me I could take an approved online course through the University of Minnesota. I am like okay great but what about the additional 2 grand or so I would have to spend on it. And of course I would have to sign up for this class BEFORE I had a potential interview invite, if I even get one... who knows if I will or not. I'd like to think I am a good candidate but as we all know, its never easy to predict. So I am stuck...
Do I sign up for the class in hopes of getting in (it is a lot of money for something I would be almost repeating)...
I do not want to waste all this time and money on it and then not even get an interview.
Lots of decisions to make... :confused: and of course I know I am the one that ultimately needs to decide. Ugh.

One of my best friends is in her 3rd year at UTK. They told her she needed to take another biochem class, but after they accepted her and when she asked them to reconsider, they did. Did you provide them a syllabus?

One of my best friends is in her 3rd year at UTK. They told her she needed to take another biochem class, but after they accepted her and when she asked them to reconsider, they did. Did you provide them a syllabus?

I already sent a syllabus which got SHUT DOWN of course after the drop/add period for the course was closed. So I am taking it now, it counts for all my other schools.... and I don't know if they will reconsider... I tried pleading with Deborah (very nice admissions person) on the phone and she said there was no changing it... I guess my course only covers 40-50% of what they think I should cover. Life is unfair!

Maybe I will slip through the cracks and still get in?? haha fat chance.

I already sent a syllabus which got SHUT DOWN of course after the drop/add period for the course was closed. So I am taking it now, it counts for all my other schools.... and I don't know if they will reconsider... I tried pleading with Deborah (very nice admissions person) on the phone and she said there was no changing it... I guess my course only covers 40-50% of what they think I should cover. Life is unfair!

That sucks Futurevet, if you do end up needing to retake it...they do accept UTC's 3.0 hour biochem which I believe it taught every semester.

Just to clear up some confusion, you can still get in without having the pre-reqs done. You just need to get them done by matriculation (so spring semester or summer semester). You don't need to have the classes finished by spring semester unless they changed the rules. I didn't even have the classes I was missing listed on the to take list, and I was accepted. MTSU has a 1 semester biochem course that counts, too, FYI.

Just to clear up some confusion, you can still get in without having the pre-reqs done. You just need to get them done by matriculation (so spring semester or summer semester). You don't need to have the classes finished by spring semester unless they changed the rules. I didn't even have the classes I was missing listed on the to take list, and I was accepted. MTSU has a 1 semester biochem course that counts, too, FYI.

I didn't mean any disrespect! I hope i do get into UTK! And I am sure everything else will work out :)

I was under the impression the courses had to be finished by the spring semester before matriculation (so this spring) which is why I am in a bit of a panic mode since I do not have the funds to take their approved online course... and I am living at home with the 'rents and the only legit school around is the one that did not get the Biochem course approved! Just my luck... but I am staying positive about the whole thing! Que sera, sera.

I didn't mean any disrespect! I hope i do get into UTK! And I am sure everything else will work out :)

I was under the impression the courses had to be finished by the spring semester before matriculation (so this spring) which is why I am in a bit of a panic mode since I do not have the funds to take their approved online course... and I am living at home with the 'rents and the only legit school around is the one that did not get the Biochem course approved! Just my luck... but I am staying positive about the whole thing! Que sera, sera.

Don't worry, no offense taken at all. You can take the courses over the summer, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard anything at all? I'm starting to get concerned...

Just to reassure everyone, I didn't get a letter for an interview until February 22--UTK is definitely one of the later schools! Interviews this year are from March 14-18, I believe. And they will be sending out letters up until the first week of March. So don't be discouraged if you haven't heard anything yet! I know waiting so long sucks though!

FWIW, MTSU's biochem course is reaaaaaaaaaalllllly easy. Just wanted to throw that out there for anyone considering taking it there.

Throwing my name in as someone else who applied. Still haven't heard anything, but also not sure if I'm even being considered. They had me send my biochem syllabus to them way back when (I went to a small cali school that I guess they haven't gotten applications from, which surprised me) and they never actually got back to me. Suppose I should e-mail them again about it, but I'm lazy, and I'll find out eventually one way or another as long as they specify rejections a bit (or accept me). I think they may need to hire another worker in the admissions office or something for next cycle though. I never got a response for any calls or emails I made to the school. But I know I was an applicant due to them asking for the syllabus. Eh, oh well. I've heard they're amazing once you're in, just wish the application process had been a bit easier. But for now, time to continue playing the waiting game

I guess I didn't post in this thread...so I'm doing it now. UTK is the only school I'm waiting to hear back from. After 4 no's, it would be nice to hear even a maybe. But we'll see what happens.

Just wondering if anyone out there knows when they will start sending out letters. I've heard end of feb/beginning of march. But just wondering if anyone has anymore info :)

Throwing my name in as someone else who applied. Still haven't heard anything, but also not sure if I'm even being considered. They had me send my biochem syllabus to them way back when (I went to a small cali school that I guess they haven't gotten applications from, which surprised me) and they never actually got back to me. Suppose I should e-mail them again about it, but I'm lazy, and I'll find out eventually one way or another as long as they specify rejections a bit (or accept me). I think they may need to hire another worker in the admissions office or something for next cycle though. I never got a response for any calls or emails I made to the school. But I know I was an applicant due to them asking for the syllabus. Eh, oh well. I've heard they're amazing once you're in, just wish the application process had been a bit easier. But for now, time to continue playing the waiting game

hey I'm in the exactly the same position. I sent them my syllabus ages ago and have heard absolutely nothing since. If there's more than one of us out there I'm noting going to stress too much about it

Don't get too stressed, you guys still have a few weeks. They usually don't send out letters until the last week of Feb. If we happen to catch whispers, I'll let you know when they mail, but the students don't usually hear. Hopefully we'll be seeing you guys in March!

Don't get too stressed, you guys still have a few weeks. They usually don't send out letters until the last week of Feb. If we happen to catch whispers, I'll let you know when they mail, but the students don't usually hear. Hopefully we'll be seeing you guys in March!

I didn't get mine until the end of February, so try not to worry too much! Good luck to everyone who applied, and hopefully we will be seeing you soon!

I spoke with the admissions coordinator a few weeks ago about my transcripts and she told me that they would be sending out interview letters the first week of March.

I applied to UTK as OOS. However, I dropped Cell Bio this semester. I believe the website says we have to have all required courses completed by spring semester. Does anyone know if they make exceptions sometimes? If I was to get an interview and I explained my situation do you think they would allow me to take it over the summer?

I applied to UTK as OOS. However, I dropped Cell Bio this semester. I believe the website says we have to have all required courses completed by spring semester. Does anyone know if they make exceptions sometimes? If I was to get an interview and I explained my situation do you think they would allow me to take it over the summer?

I would venture to say that they wouldn't make an exception, but I have no knowledge of them or their stringency on such matters. They have a large number of other people who are able to complete the course requirements set forth by their standards on time, so I'm not sure if they would offer an extension or something like that if it's not already outlined in their admissions requirements.

When I was applying (4 years ago), I didn't have cell bio or biochem. They let me take them over the summer. I'm not sure if this will still be true or not. They let me know during the interview which classes I needed and the grades I needed. I was IS.

Thanks guys! Yeah, if I do get an interview, I plan on telling them I have not had cell bio before I accept it. No other school I was applying to required it and I felt the chance of me getting an interview was pretty slim esp. being OOS so it wasn't worth it. We will see I guess. lol

Also applied to UTK (OOS) and waiting to hear about an interview... They called me last week and reminded me that I needed to send them Fall's transcripts (oops), so I'm taking that as a "we might be interested" phone call.
I think it's just weird that I will likely hear a yay/nay from Auburn before I even get an interview (or not) from UTK. lol

I just heard from a friend who heard from somebody else that Tennessee lost their accreditation. Is that true? Anybody heard anything? :confused:

I just heard from a friend who heard from somebody else that Tennessee lost their accreditation. Is that true? Anybody heard anything? :confused:

We did not lose our accreditation. We have limited accreditation mostly due to the condition of the large animal hospital (it was getting dated). Since this, they have upgraded the equine hospital and are planning to begin farm animal renovations soon. Everyone that goes to UTK, even under limited accreditation, will graduate from an AVMA accredited school. This is true even if UTK loses accreditation while you are in school.

We did not lose our accreditation. We have limited accreditation mostly due to the condition of the large animal hospital (it was getting dated). Since this, they have upgraded the equine hospital and are planning to begin farm animal renovations soon. Everyone that goes to UTK, even under limited accreditation, will graduate from an AVMA accredited school. This is true even if UTK loses accreditation while you are in school.

Yup, they addressed this at the interview pre-talk in the morning, last year. Probably will again this year. Basically it just means that the Accreditation Council told them the building needed updates, which they are in the process of fixing.

According to AVMA (and UTK CVM website), they were on Limited as of 2008 and were to be reevaluated in 2010. I just haven't seen anything published about the reevaluation last year.

It's been my understanding that we are still on limited, but are in proper standing in terms of the renovation project being finished in a timely manner. But we will be on "limited accreditation" until the project is finished.

When I was applying (4 years ago), I didn't have cell bio or biochem. They let me take them over the summer. I'm not sure if this will still be true or not. They let me know during the interview which classes I needed and the grades I needed. I was IS.

Where did you find a summer Cell Bio course? I am applying in the fall & hoping to find one for this summer.

Is there any way to get in-state residency after being at UTK for a year? Or do you sign one of those "I promise to pay OOS tuition for all 4 years" papers?

Is there any way to get in-state residency after being at UTK for a year? Or do you sign one of those "I promise to pay OOS tuition for all 4 years" papers?

I was actually trying to look this up last night, but had no luck. I was disappointed to learn that, no matter what (even becoming a legal resident by marriage), I'd be unable to get IS tuition at Mississippi. :(

One of my classmates is trying to get in-state status. That being said, I don't know if she is succeeding, and being in-state myself, I have absolutely no desire to go looking. I don't think the answer is a flat out no, though. When you come to interview ask Dean Brace of Deborah Shepard. Either one of them should know.

I was actually trying to look this up last night, but had no luck. I was disappointed to learn that, no matter what (even becoming a legal resident by marriage), I'd be unable to get IS tuition at Mississippi. :(
I know you can argue/apply to UTK about getting IS if you qualify -- and off the top of my head I don't know what those qualifications are, but they ARE on the website somewhere.
All *I* know is that I will get to apply for IS, because I'm marrying a Tennessee native this summer, and his family has owned a farm there for several generations (fiance is the primary benefactor on the will), and neither of us have any desire to raise our kids anywhere else. :love:
Sorry, enough of the mushy stuff. :p

I know you can argue/apply to UTK about getting IS if you qualify -- and off the top of my head I don't know what those qualifications are, but they ARE on the website somewhere.
All *I* know is that I will get to apply for IS, because I'm marrying a Tennessee native this summer, and his family has owned a farm there for several generations (fiance is the primary benefactor on the will), and neither of us have any desire to raise our kids anywhere else. :love:
Sorry, enough of the mushy stuff. :p

Don't be sorry - that's awesome :)

^Of course, I forgot the addendum: "IF I get in..." lol

^Of course, I forgot the addendum: "IF I get in..." lol

Lol. There is always that. And grats on getting married soon! Having someone to help me through has really been a blessing this year.

Not trying to be a debbie downer here, but I'm pretty sure that although UTK doesn't make you sign a " I'm OOS and will remain OOS for 4 years" form, it's pretty hard to become IS if you're OOS, like me. I've tried and have been trying and have talked to several people (Registar's office, so on) about getting IS status. I've been told that in order to do that, you or your husband or your parents if your still a dependent have to have a full time job in Tennessee for a year or something about getting married (I don't remember because that's probably not going apply to me before i graduate). Owning property does not count, neither does changing you license to a TN license. So moral of the story is-Although i don't think it's impossible to do, don't get your hopes up about becoming IS. As for the person/people in our class who are trying to do it, they may know something that me, the head of the Registar's office and several other official residency people at UTK may not know...i wanna know too! :(

Not trying to be a debbie downer here, but I'm pretty sure that although UTK doesn't make you sign a " I'm OOS and will remain OOS for 4 years" form, it's pretty hard to become IS if you're OOS, like me. I've tried and have been trying and have talked to several people (Registar's office, so on) about getting IS status. I've been told that in order to do that, you or your husband or your parents if your still a dependent have to have a full time job in Tennessee for a year or something about getting married (I don't remember because that's probably not going apply to me before i graduate). Owning property does not count, neither does changing you license to a TN license. So moral of the story is-Although i don't think it's impossible to do, don't get your hopes up about becoming IS. As for the person/people in our class who are trying to do it, they may know something that me, the head of the Registar's office and several other official residency people at UTK may not know...i wanna know too! :(

I don't know how true this is; but what I've heard is that marrying a resident is a near sure-fire way to become a resident of any state. It doesn't matter if you are a student or not, employed or not, as long as your spouse is.

So, if you have a fiancée and you two 'have a fight' and he/she decides to break up with you and move to Tennessee and get a job and a house in Knoxville....your ex-fiancée will be a resident in as little as a year. Unrelated, let's say you also go to Knoxville to attend school and after a while, you two reconcile. Your fiancée is a resident, you get married, now you are a resident.

I know this would have worked in Alabama/at Auburn because I e-mailed and asked them (even though their application said students can't gain residency, this is an exception to that rule). Mississippi, on the other hand, says that 'No matter what, even if you do gain residency, you still pay out of state tuition to us'. If you did this same thing in Mississippi you would still be a resident and you could apply to MSU to get a degree in....Computer Science as a resident; but your acceptance to the Vet School requires you to contine to pay OOS.

At least, that's my understanding.

I'm an in-state student, and I got my interview invitation today! It was a single page in an envelope, and opening it was scary!!!

:D Just got my interview letter, too! WAHOO!!!!!!

Last edited:
Yay! Congratulations!! Good luck on your interviews and hopefully we'll be seeing you soon!

Just a fair warning, interview invites/declines are both one page. Acceptance/rejection letters are both one to two pages. So don't freak out over the size of the envelope until you open it. :p

I'm an in-state student, and I got my interview invitation today! It was a single page in an envelope, and opening it was scary!!!
Whaat?!? Were OOS and IS letters sent out at the same time? *will start hounding the mail box. Every. Single. Day.*