UTK c/o 2015 Hopefuls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
go ahead and start one! build and they will follow!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if someone's started a facebook group for UTK CVM c/o 2015? I know it seems like something so juvenile, but it would be nice to get to know more about people.

I sincerely tried to create a facebook group, but I can't because I am not friends with anyone in the class. I could make a page, but I'm not really sure what a page is versus a group. I'd be more than happy to make a group if someone wants to befriend me. We can deal with real names in a pm to maintain the anonymity of the forum :)

Any current students hear anything about any potential movement for the OOS waitlist?? Any info would be greatly appreciated! :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, to anyone who wants to join the facebook group, I started one. Search University of Tennessee CVM c/o 2015

So has anyone heard anything more on this accreditation thing for UT? I'm getting kind of worried and calling Dr. Brace in the morning.

So has anyone heard anything more on this accreditation thing for UT? I'm getting kind of worried and calling Dr. Brace in the morning.

robbin- are you in at another school? I saw that you declined your spot at Purdue - if you're worried about the accreditation why did you do that?

There's really not much more to be said, that what has already been said here. We're on limited accreditation because our facilities need to be updated. They are in the process of construction, but as with all projects, it takes time(years) and money to complete. No one at the college foresees the remodel not getting done, and the accreditation committee has approved of the process and plans so far, and does not see us not getting our full status back when it's done. (FYI, they are slated to finish in time for the c/o 2014 to be doing clinics in the new facilities.) If you accept a spot here, you will graduate, and your degree will not be of any less value than if you graduated from a full accreditation school. This is true even if the project is never finished and the CVM closes for good, which they would not do until after the last accepted class has graduated.

The only way I really feel like this has impacted my education is the fact that construction is noisy, and the current portion they are working on is right below the first year classroom. Other than that, even the old facilities in the large animal wing are serviceable, and don't inhibit our ability to learn what we are supposed to be learning so far.

robbin- are you in at another school? I saw that you declined your spot at Purdue - if you're worried about the accreditation why did you do that?

Yes I declined Purdue, but another one of my friends called UT and got a different answer than what I did when I spoke with them before mailing in my acceptance and declination letters. I was informed they had over 90% of the funding for the project, but then my friend informed me when she called they said they only had 8 million of the 20 million; 8 million is far from 90% of 20 million. That's why I wanted to know if anyone else had heard anything. I'm calling in today though and going to speak with Dr. Brace himself this time. I love the school, I just don't want to have to deal with graduating from a school with terminal accreditation (even though I would still graduate under the limited accreditation).

I was under the impression that they had gotten ALL of the funding needed for the project...at least that is what I thought they had said at the interview...

Yes I declined Purdue, but another one of my friends called UT and got a different answer than what I did when I spoke with them before mailing in my acceptance and declination letters. I was informed they had over 90% of the funding for the project, but then my friend informed me when she called they said they only had 8 million of the 20 million; 8 million is far from 90% of 20 million. That's why I wanted to know if anyone else had heard anything. I'm calling in today though and going to speak with Dr. Brace himself this time. I love the school, I just don't want to have to deal with graduating from a school with terminal accreditation (even though I would still graduate under the limited accreditation).

The conflicting numbers come from the fact that they have "rolling" funding. Ie. right now they have X amount of the funds, but over the next year will be getting Y amount of funding from the university/state/etc. So yes, right now we only have a certain percent in hand, but a much larger percent is accounted for in budgeting over the life of the project.

It's my understanding that most if not all of the funding is laid out to be distributed to the university at the appropriate intervals required to pay for everything.

robbin- Did you speak with Dean Brace? What did he say?

The conflicting numbers come from the fact that they have "rolling" funding. Ie. right now they have X amount of the funds, but over the next year will be getting Y amount of funding from the university/state/etc. So yes, right now we only have a certain percent in hand, but a much larger percent is accounted for in budgeting over the life of the project.

It's my understanding that most if not all of the funding is laid out to be distributed to the university at the appropriate intervals required to pay for everything.

I agree. I believe that they receive a certain amount each year to use on the renovations, but that almost all of the total amount is already set aside. I don't have any worries about the accreditation status. Unless some sort of major disaster happens, I think the possibility of totally losing accreditation is almost zero.

First off, my name is Mike. lol I know, my user name makes it kind of confusing, it's my last name with my first initial put last.:D

Second, I did speak with Dr. Brace. He said he doesn't know the exact number, but around 16-18 million is accounted for, just not in hand so what you all said is probably correct. That sets me at ease. haha Keep fingers crossed there's not major economic disasters, and that they get ahold of the remaining amount!

Members don't see this ad :)
So, Mike, after talking with Dr. Brace are you happy with your decision? The facilities really didn't look that bad to me on the tour, but they can only get better after renovation. I'm excited.

So, Mike, after talking with Dr. Brace are you happy with your decision? The facilities really didn't look that bad to me on the tour, but they can only get better after renovation. I'm excited.

I'm very happy with my decision. I loved Knoxville and the area. That Market Square was awesome! I really liked the school and the exotics is always a plus! I really just hope that nothing detrimental happens to the economy or Tennessee. lol

First off, my name is Mike. lol I know, my user name makes it kind of confusing, it's my last name with my first initial put last.:D

Second, I did speak with Dr. Brace. He said he doesn't know the exact number, but around 16-18 million is accounted for, just not in hand so what you all said is probably correct. That sets me at ease. haha Keep fingers crossed there's not major economic disasters, and that they get ahold of the remaining amount!

Sorry Mike - didn't mean to offend by calling you by your username.............That's kind of how we all refer to each other around here..

Breester: It's cool. I just didn't want to be confused for a girl named Robin. lol

Breester: It's cool. I just didn't want to be confused for a girl named Robin. lol

Would it be bad to to call UTK today to check on my waitlist status??! (kind of kidding - but not really hehe) :rolleyes:

Probably. The open house is this weekend and most people are getting ready for that - including the admin.

Yea I decided against it.. I'll probably wait til Tuesday

Probably. The open house is this weekend and most people are getting ready for that - including the admin.

Which, if anyone is in the area, you should totally come to. It will be awesome fun.

Just a heads up to anyone who's on the OOS waitlist - I called today and Ms. Shepherd said that as of right now the class is full... Pretty sure I'll be committing to OSU..oh well. Good luck all

Just a heads up to anyone who's on the OOS waitlist - I called today and Ms. Shepherd said that as of right now the class is full... Pretty sure I'll be committing to OSU..oh well. Good luck all

Sorry breester. :( Hopefully OSU will be a good place for you.

To current students, how are you guys doing with the crazy weather? From the news it looks like you Knoxville didn't have a tornado, but there is damage from severe hail storms? Hope everyone is okay and that damage is minimal

To current students, how are you guys doing with the crazy weather? From the news it looks like you Knoxville didn't have a tornado, but there is damage from severe hail storms? Hope everyone is okay and that damage is minimal

My car looks like a golf ball but I am one of the luckier 4th years because my windshields are intact and I have power to my home. Most people have some form of damage to their cars, several people don't have power.

The school lost several trees- and the clean up has been slow.

My car looks like a golf ball but I am one of the luckier 4th years because my windshields are intact and I have power to my home. Most people have some form of damage to their cars, several people don't have power.

The school lost several trees- and the clean up has been slow.

This about sums it up. Never have I been so glad to be a home body. We didn't get hit very hard at my house, so I managed to skip the hail damage to my car, but campus is a mild mess right now.

This about sums it up. Never have I been so glad to be a home body. We didn't get hit very hard at my house, so I managed to skip the hail damage to my car, but campus is a mild mess right now.

There were several of in my class at school that night filming for the roast - their cars are messed up. And they ended up helping with the emergencies.

My car got dented, but luckily no broken windows. My roommate, who just bought a new car, had a broken window, cracked windshield, and numerous dents. My boyfriend had a broken car window too. I'm just glad that my family that lives near the Chattanooga area is safe. There was a tornado only 30 minutes away from where my dad works!

Seems like I'm a big late to the game, but I also know someone who is selling her house this summer. It's in South Knox, in the Island Home area about 10 minutes from school. PM me if anyone is interested, or if you have any questions about UT in general.

As far as the accreditation goes, we were told that they were going ahead and starting with the construction soon. Honestly, I think it's a little ridiculous--I think the "problem" was mainly our flooring in the large animal wing. If you came to interview and saw it, then basically they're making the farm animal side flooring like the equine side--or at least that's what I got out of it. And all our small animal facilities at the teaching hospital are nice--the ICU was just re-done last year, the Exotics wing was brand new when I started, and the professors are pretty awesome.

I am glad to hear that for the most part you guys only suffered some cosmetic damage to your cars. That still sucks, but it could have been a lot worse.

On another note, I am headed to Knoxville in a couple of days to look for housing and was wondering if any current students could give some advice. Are there any real estate companies, property managers, or complexes that anyone has had bad experiences with or heard of other bad experiences that should be avoided? On the flip side, are there any that anyone has had really good experiences with and would highly recommend? All I really have to go off of is craigslist and the knoxville apartment guide, and I know what it's like to be stuck with a bad landlord so I'd like to avoid that.

I am glad to hear that for the most part you guys only suffered some cosmetic damage to your cars. That still sucks, but it could have been a lot worse.

On another note, I am headed to Knoxville in a couple of days to look for housing and was wondering if any current students could give some advice. Are there any real estate companies, property managers, or complexes that anyone has had bad experiences with or heard of other bad experiences that should be avoided? On the flip side, are there any that anyone has had really good experiences with and would highly recommend? All I really have to go off of is craigslist and the knoxville apartment guide, and I know what it's like to be stuck with a bad landlord so I'd like to avoid that.

Denali Rentals has great houses all pet friendly. We were going to rent form them if UTK worked out. The website is : denalirentals.com Call Bill at 865-389-7403.

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone knew if the school offers low cost cat spays or neuters and declaws for students? Also if anyone has heard of laptop requirements or knows where to find those since I'm planning on buying one before I head down to good ol' UT.

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone knew if the school offers low cost cat spays or neuters and declaws for students? Also if anyone has heard of laptop requirements or knows where to find those since I'm planning on buying one before I head down to good ol' UT.

No laptop requirements. Spays and neuters are discounted for students (and they are usually performed by 4th years with clinician/resident supervision) but I'm not sure what the discount is. 20% off on everything for being a vet student though. My cat neuter was somewhere around $35-45 when everything was said and done.

Any other questions?

Not sure why you want to declaw (hopefully not before there are problems as a means of prevention), but I would strongly recommend laser declaw if it's absolutely necessary. The procedure otherwise is brutal.

Not sure why you want to declaw (hopefully not before there are problems as a means of prevention), but I would strongly recommend laser declaw if it's absolutely necessary. The procedure otherwise is brutal.

The school will do clipper declaws, scalpel declaws, and laser declaws depending on what you want. They will happily talk to you about the differences between the options when you bring the cat in.

The school will do clipper declaws, scalpel declaws, and laser declaws depending on what you want. They will happily talk to you about the differences between the options when you bring the cat in.

:thumbup: That's really good to hear. I know some vets that will do it without blinking without telling the owner what they are actually doing to their cat *shudder*

:thumbup: That's really good to hear. I know some vets that will do it without blinking without telling the owner what they are actually doing to their cat *shudder*

Our surgeons have actually had a lot of good success with the clipper method when done correctly. It is MUCH faster and they like that the animal can recover faster from a surgical event. I'm not going into all the reasons, but they are very comfortable with it - and they provide very good analgesia (including local blocks).

Our surgeons have actually had a lot of good success with the clipper method when done correctly. It is MUCH faster and they like that the animal can recover faster from a surgical event. I'm not going into all the reasons, but they are very comfortable with it - and they provide very good analgesia (including local blocks).

I know a vet who feels the same. I asked him about it one day, and he pointed out that if you take the time to aim the clippers you can do it without cutting the attachment of the deep digital flexor. Leaving the cat with full correct motion of the digits.

Thank you for the response I appreciate it. As for the reason for a declaw is just my personal preference; not trying to get into any debate regarding it being "right" or "wrong" or if it's humane or not.

So my friend and I are going to be looking at apartments in Knoxville, what are good areas? We're looking at West and East Knoxville areas... any thoughts?

Knoxville Apartment Guide has some great listings. West Knoxville is an awesome area, but is also the most expensive. The only area to avoid like the plague is The Fort. Other than that, most areas have some pretty decent apartments at a pretty fair rate. The nicer areas are also much easier to swing if you're planning on sharing with a room mate. Good luck apartment hunting! :luck: