UTK c/o 2015 Hopefuls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know a couple of in-state people who just got their acceptance letters. Good luck to everyone--and try not to frantically check the mail 20 times a day. I know it's hard!

Members don't see this ad.

I received my acceptance letter today! I'm in-state, and live about 5 miles away from UT, so YMMV.

My envelope contained my acceptance letter and two pages of information (also distributed during the interview) about the curriculum. This gave me a very satisfying 'fat envelope' experience. :laugh:

Good luck everyone, and I look forward to meeting the rest of the class of 2015. :D:luck:

I received my acceptance letter today! I'm in-state, and live about 5 miles away from UT, so YMMV.

My envelope contained my acceptance letter and two pages of information (also distributed during the interview) about the curriculum. This gave me a very satisfying 'fat envelope' experience. :laugh:

Good luck everyone, and I look forward to meeting the rest of the class of 2015. :D:luck:

congrats sawbone!!! That's awesome!!!!! I can't believe tomorrow is Sunday! I can't deal with this suspense :/ Do you have any idea what your score was for phase 1? If you feel like sharing and want to send me a PM then please do but if you don't feel like sharing no worries! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my acceptance letter today! OOS. So excited to go to Tennessee!

Congrats goldielocks!!!! Any idea where you're leaning towards?? ;)

Ugh it's hard because I'd finally decided on OK state and I didn't think that I'd get into UTK. And now I have to choose between OK and TN...and I am the WORST decision maker! I really don't know

In!!!!!!!:thumbup: OOS.

Should I choose Auburn or Tennessee?

Is Auburn your IS? If so, I would HIGHLY recommend going to Auburn...In my opinion (and that of many others too), that unless you are wealthy and are in a position where you don't have to worry about the money aspect, then it's in most people's best interest to choose the less expensive option.

If both are OOS for you, then that's a hard question to answer, and depends on which school you liked better, where you can see yourself living for 4 years, if one school has strengths in areas that you are interested in over the other, etc. Good luck and congrats on getting into both schools!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also waitlisted OOS. I really hate not knowing and possibly getting a call up until the day before classes start. I wish I knew my rank number.........

Is Auburn your IS? If so, I would HIGHLY recommend going to Auburn...In my opinion (and that of many others too), that unless you are wealthy and are in a position where you don't have to worry about the money aspect, then it's in most people's best interest to choose the less expensive option.

If both are OOS for you, then that's a hard question to answer, and depends on which school you liked better, where you can see yourself living for 4 years, if one school has strengths in areas that you are interested in over the other, etc. Good luck and congrats on getting into both schools!

Hmmm .... not rich and not from Alabama, so I think that leaves me with a pretty difficult decision. There was so much going on at UTK at the veterinary school that was very exciting, and the teachers seem dedicated to teaching.

I also thought Knoxville was pretty cool. I'll make a post when I figure it all out.:thumbup:

Hmmm .... not rich and not from Alabama, so I think that leaves me with a pretty difficult decision. There was so much going on at UTK at the veterinary school that was very exciting, and the teachers seem dedicated to teaching.

I also thought Knoxville was pretty cool. I'll make a post when I figure it all out.:thumbup:

Knoxville is a pretty cool city. Lots of things to do, and I love that it's close to the mountains.
I considered Auburn, but I'm not from Alabama so that made the decision for me!

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted, and good luck to those on the waitlist!

Not to be weird/stalkerish but I thought you were waitlisted at Auburn? Are schools pulling people off waitlists already?!

Hi Stalker,

Ha! You gave my wife and me a good laugh. She said I got called out:laugh:

I guess I'm a little overconfident about getting in to Auburn from their wait list. :xf:Might not have to make a choice at all.

Ahaha glad I could provide a laugh. :)

Well in that case, accept at UTK. if you get pulled off the Auburn waitlist :)xf:) then reevaluate and choose between the two. Good luck!

So I'm finally relinquishing my lurker status to ask some questions! What exactly does a letter of intent include other than, "YES! YES! A thousand times YES!!?" And does UTK have a deposit and if so what is it?

Got my OOS acceptance letter. Torn between Purdue and Tenn. Any advice?

So I'm finally relinquishing my lurker status to ask some questions! What exactly does a letter of intent include other than, "YES! YES! A thousand times YES!!?" And does UTK have a deposit and if so what is it?

I think my letter of intent went something along the lines of:
"I'm contacting you to confirm that I will be accepting the offered opening in the class of ####."

And they do not require a deposit, just the letter of intent. :)

Congrats on getting in, and let us know if you have anymore questions!

Does UT have a laptop requirement? Also, are most of the professors good about posting their notes/powerpoints online beforehand?

Does UT have a laptop requirement? Also, are most of the professors good about posting their notes/powerpoints online beforehand?

There is not a laptop requirement. And most of the professors are wonderful about posting notes/powerpoints online before hand, and a decent majority of them give you some kind of printed note packet too. In fact, I can only think of one professor that made a stink about it. The only other exception is our Clinical Correlations class; the notes don't go up until afterwards, but it is a sit back and listen to a fun lecture class. No test, no need to take notes.

Katryn, do most of the students take notes on computers then? or is it paper and pencil? I am sure this has been discussed on some of the threads specific to this topic, but I didn't pay attention really to what schools people were from when they gave their opinions.

Sorry if I throw out random questions, but I'm debating between OK State and UTK right now.

Katryn, do most of the students take notes on computers then? or is it paper and pencil? I am sure this has been discussed on some of the threads specific to this topic, but I didn't pay attention really to what schools people were from when they gave their opinions.

Sorry if I throw out random questions, but I'm debating between OK State and UTK right now.

No problem, and glad to be helping.

Our class is split pretty evenly half and half with pen and paper vs. computer. And some alternate between the two depending on what class it is. Some of the professors lecture so directly from their power points that it is really easy to just open up the slides and take notes in the little box at the bottom. A few of the professors provide such outstanding printed notes that it's easier to bring them to class, and highlight or take notes in the margins. I'm a pen and paper gal myself, so I don't even bring a computer to class. But it really is pretty flexible to fit whatever works best for you. And pretty much all of the classrooms are riddled with plugs so there's no worry about running out of juice mid-lecture if you do bring a computer.

I would say maybe about half of our class takes notes on computers, if that many. I took notes by hand last semester, then moved to laptop this semester. I like the laptop a lot better because I don't have to print out a million pages to keep up with. The only class that I don't use it for is Anatomy, because we do a lot of drawings in class. It's really whatever you prefer to do.

Feel free to ask more questions! :)

EDIT: Lol, katryn, we both answered at the same time!

At least you both were consistent in your answers! Another question I have is regarding housing. When I visited, and by talking with a friend who is there, I got the impression that there is not a central location where vet students live. I'm assuming that most students drive to school because there didn't seem to be housing really close to the vet school. Also, it seems like apartments are more available than houses (especially since I want to live alone)? So, my question is if it's difficult for students with pets? I have a dog and I've always had at least a little yard for her. I feel like she's already going to be deprived of attention at times when I'm busy with school and I don't want that to be worsened because I don't have a yard for her to go out in. Plus, I know that realistically I get lazy with walking her on weeks when i'm super busy with school.

At least you both were consistent in your answers! Another question I have is regarding housing. When I visited, and by talking with a friend who is there, I got the impression that there is not a central location where vet students live. I'm assuming that most students drive to school because there didn't seem to be housing really close to the vet school. Also, it seems like apartments are more available than houses (especially since I want to live alone)? So, my question is if it's difficult for students with pets? I have a dog and I've always had at least a little yard for her. I feel like she's already going to be deprived of attention at times when I'm busy with school and I don't want that to be worsened because I don't have a yard for her to go out in. Plus, I know that realistically I get lazy with walking her on weeks when i'm super busy with school.

You're correct that there is no central housing for the vet students. I'm probably not the greatest person to field this question because I'm a Knoxville local and haven't had to look for housing in 3-ish years. That being said, I am fairly sure there are plenty of apartments in the area that allow pets. It also wouldn't surprise me if you were able to find a small house for rent. The downtown area and the Fort are both decent places to live and have a lot of smaller houses, so that might be a place to start looking. Short of that, towards the beginning of the school year there are usually people looking for roommates, or someone to pass their place on to, that will inundate your inbox with emails.

Added note: I don't think it's too difficult on the students or their pets. At least I haven't heard too much complaining on that subject in particular. My dogs and cats don't seem to be too bored or attention starved, but I have two that keep each other company.

I have 5 dogs, so it was really important for me to find a house with a yard when I started vet school. I lived in a rental house for the first year and a half of vet school, and my landlord was cool about me having so many pets (I've since bought a house 3 houses down the street). I had a decent sized house fit for 1-2 people (1000 sq ft), and it had a HUGE fenced in backyard. My rent was only $650 a month (probably will be a little more expensive in West Knox though...I live in North Knox). I would say I just got lucky, but I have several classmates that have similar type houses that didn't have trouble getting pets approved (especially if you only have one!). If you really would rather have a house than an apartment, it is completely doable here.

I would try Craiglist, but also call Deborah Shepard and ask if they know of anyone that is trying to specifically rent to vet students (some landlords love vet students and will only rent to them, pets and all).

Also, even if you guys find housing within a walk's distance (like within a mile or 2 radius of school), DON'T DO IT! It's been a nightmare for the majority of the people that I know that made that mistake. Lots of undergrads, lots of noise, lots of petty crimes. My house is about 6 minutes from school (North), so you can get close enough without being too close, if that makes sense...

If anyone is looking to buy a place, PM me. I have a friend that is looking to sell her house. I can get you more info if you are interested, but I do know it is less than 10 mins from school with traffic and that she has kept it up really well.

Hi Everyone! Congratulations on being excepted to the UTK Class of 2015. That is such a huge accomplishment. For those of you who are on the ball and already thinking about housing, please continue reading.

I have a house on South Hills Drive which is very near the intersection of Alcoa Hwy and Woodson drive. For those of you unfamiliar with the area, this is just south of campus and less than a 5 minute drive to the vet school. This is also a very safe area with a great neighborhood watch program. 3 bedroom/2 bathrooms, washer/dryer, new kitchen appliances, large unfenced yard. Currently there are 4 incoming 4th year vet students living here as we converted the living room into a large bedroom. During this summer, 2 of the roommates are moving out of the house and in with their significant others. The rooms available for rent would be own bedroom and shared bathroom. There is one dog and 2 cats living there, additional pets are okay with approval. Rent is $300 per month plus utilities which usually comes to about $65 a month.

Please email me at [email protected] if you are interested. I can email you some pictures or if you're already in the area, I'll be happy to meet you and show you around.

Thanks for reading! :)

After thinking it over (extensively), I have decided that I'm going to Tennessee! I am so excited! Thanks to all the current students who have answered my questions

After thinking it over (extensively), I have decided that I'm going to Tennessee! I am so excited! Thanks to all the current students who have answered my questions

I know it was a hard decision to make, but I think you made the right one;). All kidding aside, if you have any other questions that come up, feel free to ask.

I'm just starting to look into housing. What areas are best to look in? I don't want to end up somewhere noisy or unsafe. I am considering buying a small house. I think it is a better option for me because I like the independence and I have a dog that would love a yard to play in. Any idea about what I can expect to budget per month for house payments or rent and utilities? I live in a rural part of Pennsylvania and I'm sure costs are different there than they are here.

Thanks!

I'm just starting to look into housing. What areas are best to look in? I don't want to end up somewhere noisy or unsafe. I am considering buying a small house. I think it is a better option for me because I like the independence and I have a dog that would love a yard to play in. Any idea about what I can expect to budget per month for house payments or rent and utilities? I live in a rural part of Pennsylvania and I'm sure costs are different there than they are here.

Thanks!

Knoxville is a fairly cheap place to live. The only truly unsafe area is Fort Sanders (off of Cumberland - or the Strip). That's where the majority of crimes take place in Knoxville. I would assume with all the undergrads, that is the noisy place, too. Utilities are typically pretty cheap (under $100 per month for power, cable is the same price as everywhere else, not sure about water since I don't pay for it in my apartment). Rent is reasonable, too. There are a lot of good, cheap houses that you can buy with yards, too. To give you an idea of cost, I have an apartment over 1000 square feet and we pay under $600 a month - it is 2 bedroom and 1 ba. That being said, there are definitely more expensive places if you go to West knoxville.

I used to live in Woodmeade South, which is about 7 minutes from campus on a heavy traffic day. It was nice with not a lot of undergraduates - a lot of vet students and young professionals. They allow pets and rent was reasonable (725 w/ water included for a 2 bedroom with a fireplace). I lived there for 2 years and no problems with crime except one person got their gas siphoned out of their tank.

I used to take my dog jogging at Sequoyah Hills park which wasn't very far from campus or the apartment. It is very dog friendly and a pretty place to get some exercise.

So it looks like last year waitlisters didn't start hearing until the end of June, but the year before people started hearing during the middle of May. They told me on the phone that we could hear anytime between April 15 and August. Any of you insiders have any info that could help us waitlisters out? Should we not expect to hear anything until late-June or JUly? :scared:

Have any of you other waitlisters called and gotten any useful information?

Goldielocks....I just wanted to congratulate you on your two acceptances! It's ashame that Auburn didn't get you, however, I know you'll love it at UTK (you're gonna be a vet!) :thumbup::thumbup: Oh and it was nice meeting you too. :)

Does anyone know if UT gives grants to vet school students? Purdue just threw some money at me, but I want to know if UT may do the same. I thought I had my decision down, but now it just got difficult again. This April 15 date is coming up too fast!

Does anyone know if UT gives grants to vet school students? Purdue just threw some money at me, but I want to know if UT may do the same. I thought I had my decision down, but now it just got difficult again. This April 15 date is coming up too fast!

You would be better off calling the admin office to find this out. Most of the opportunities that have been emailed around to current students have been for 2-4th years(ie. first years can apply for awards granted at second year), but I can't say that I dug around for things before starting first year myself.

Goldielocks....I just wanted to congratulate you on your two acceptances! It's ashame that Auburn didn't get you, however, I know you'll love it at UTK (you're gonna be a vet!) :thumbup::thumbup: Oh and it was nice meeting you too. :)

Aww thanks Wolfpack. That was really nice. It was nice to meet you too. Hopefully all the Tennessee'ers are as nice as everyone I met in Auburn

Does anyone know if Tennessee lets you know if they've received your letter confirming that you are accepting? I'm sure they are busy right now but I really want to make sure that they know I want to come.

Does anyone know if Tennessee lets you know if they've received your letter confirming that you are accepting? I'm sure they are busy right now but I really want to make sure that they know I want to come.

Just call them or e-mail them if you want to confirm. They won't let you know if you don't.

Yeah, I recently talked to someone from admissions and I asked them this question and she told me I was welcome to call them back to check.

ok thank you, I guess I will be giving them a call

Does anyone know if someone's started a facebook group for UTK CVM c/o 2015? I know it seems like something so juvenile, but it would be nice to get to know more about people.