MD vs DO vs Caribbean. Hard Facts and Statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HockeyDr09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick update, I had one piece of incorrect info in there, and it's now fixed. The spreadsheet is now as accurate as possible.

Update: 2/9/12

I've updated the spreadsheet to include 2011 NRMP data from the 2010 data. Make sure you look at the Green and Orange chart specifically, they're the most important.

Feel free to comment with any questions. I hope this shows that DO's are more equally represented then some people would lead you to believe.

I've left the previous spreadsheet attached for anyone who is interested in comparing. The newest spreadsheet is titled

"HockeyDr's Massive Spreadsheet with 2011 NMRP Data final.xlsx"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know, I know, you've heard it all before.

This thread is different.

For this thread, I'm only concerned about factual evidence. I'm not interested in hearsay / anecdotal evidence, and honestly if you're deciding between pathways, you shouldn't care about it either.

I've compiled all the data you could possible imagine comparing the three pathways to become a licensed physician.

Most everything you'd ever want to know about comparing the three is listed in the three page spread sheet I have attached.

I show statistics (and cite) data for

• NRMP match data for every specialty for each pathway
  • NRMP match percentage for each specialty. This shows what percentage of the total applicant pool for each pathway matched in which specialty (i.e did everyone from DO schools match FM)
  • AOA match data for every specialty
  • Total DO student matches in each specialty NRMP + AOA
  • Matching percentage for NRMP + AOA. What percentage of DO students matched into each specialty when looking at both NRMP and AOA combined
  • Full 2011 AOA match list, organized in table format.
  • An analysis of the NRMP match rates, and the calcuation of a true DO student match rate, taking into consideration both the NRMP and the AOA match.
  • A comparasion between all the pathways match rates.

I was objective as humanly possible and listed my concerns about where there could be errors in the data on page 1 of the spread sheet.

My concerns (edit: old)

I was forced to use 2010 NRMP data and 2011 AOA data. Ultimately this shouldn't make too much of a difference because most of the AOA's competitive specialties were filled both years, so the 2010 AOA data shouldn't vary dramatically.

I could not add match list rankings (which students were getting their first choice). I also could not account for one residency location being more competitive than others. My point being, even though DO's matched a very similar percentage to MD in internal medicine, most people would assume that MD's had first pick at the very competitive locations. This should be taken into consideration.

There is always a possibility of some of the data being miscalculated. Excel likes to screw with me sometimes.

This DOES NOT INCLUDE PRE-MATCH AND SCRAMBLE MATCHES!!

Very important: I also could not list the attrition rates because it was simply too much data scattered in different locations. You'll have to do your research for that.

Also note the the Urology MD match does not use the NRMP, so this lowers their percentages. If I find it, i'll add it.

Odds are this thread will either be buried, or turn into a flame war, but I wanted to at least put all of the statistics out there in one place, organized.

If we keep it civil it could possibly be the thread to end all MD vs DO vs Carib threads (wishful thinking).

The great thing about the statistics is that you can draw your own conclusions. Nervous about matching EM as a DO? Pop open the sheet and you see 373 DO's matched EM (PGY-1) and that 12% of graduating DO's match EM.

Hopefully someone gets a use out of it. It took me forever to make :laugh:.

Edit:

• The data has been UPDATED to include ALL PGY-1 and PGY-2 matches.
  • It has additional tables on sheet one which incorporate PGY-1 and PGY-2
  • Page 2 now includes every AOA detail I could find (cited)
  • Page 3 now includes 2011 data for both AOA and NRMP matching rates.

If you don't want to dl the spreadsheet, dannydickman was kind enough to post screenshots of a majority of the data.

I haven't figured out how to incorporate the data yet but

SF match data

Ophthalmology
Child Neurology
Plastic Surgery
Neurotology

All other match data on their site is for fellowship positions.

Urology match stats

This data would increase MD matches in Urology and Ophthamology (MD Ophthamology is not included on spreadsheet because it was not included in the NRMP data). DO's and US IMG's seem to be included, but I can't figure out a way to discern which is which.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• HockeyDr's Massive Spreadsheet encompassing every statistic I could think of Revision 4.xlsx
    79.3 KB · Views: 5,570
  • HockeyDr's Massive Spreadsheet with 2011 NMRP Data final (Newest Spreadsheet) (1) (1).xlsx
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,814
Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
this spreadsheet is absolutely amazing. this is perhaps the most glorious document that i have ever come across on sdn. thank you so much for this.

Reactions: 1 user
incredible job, i'm wondering what's causing the ~14% of DO's to not match. Doing something else? Not interviewing well? Screwed up application? Hate medicine? Not enough spots in field of interest?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do we give this person a medal for this? Well earned.

As much as I wanna say "well this should end the DO Vs Caribbean argument", im waiting for one or two idiots to come here and try to claim the data is wrong

Anyday now......

Reactions: 1 users
You did an amazing job on this spreadsheet...if this doesn't stop the MD vs DO vs Carib threads then I don't know what will... 1000 kudos to you! This is getting stickied right?

EDIT: Updated to include 2011 NRMP data (2/9/12)

EDIT: well, schucks. I spoke too soon. It's all updated now, DrHockey (4/18/11)

Since we're all too lazy to click, I went ahead and took screencaps of the relevant ones. NOTE: I'm not updating this if any info changes, so take it for what it's worth.

cJ49B.png

pUfUp.png

jTJiu.png

zQL3P.png

ni8AV.png

tw87o.png

G1bES.png

E97hU.png

Khw3D.png

hjNFk.png

Last edited:
Here's some of the general 2011 Data

http://www.nrmp.org/data/2011Adv%20Data%20Tbl.pdf

Osteopathic Students:

Active: 2178
Matched: 1561
Unmatched: 617
Withdraw: 789
No Rank List: 175
Total: 3142

71.7% match rate for 2011

Not asking you to update your stuff, just thought I'd give a link in case you hadn't seen it...nice work though! :thumbup:

The facts have no place in logical arguments about MD DO Carib! ;)

Excellent work HockeyDr. Thank you for putting on paper what we all argue with hypotheticals. Despite the advantage of having 180% as many applicants, Caribbean schools match fewer total students in nearly every single field than US DO schools do.

I appreciate all the thanks, and I'm glad people are finding it useful. I actually compiled all the data because of all the appreciation I received between the AOA match thread and the Carib. thread.

Thanks to 87DO15 I've updated the third page with the NRMP's 2011 match data. Nice to see all three options had an increase in match percentages. I wonder if pre-matching is becoming a thing of the past, or if programs are becoming more reluctant to go through the scramble. Another thing I found odd was that I could understand why DO's would withdraw (AOA match forces it), but I didn't understand why 1,000 US IMG's would withdraw. Also, why would students not have a rank list?

I'm done for today, but I'll be updating it with more information as it becomes available. If anyone has any ideas as to what else should be included, feel free to chime in and i'll oblige if it's something interesting.

This is great work hockey dr. However, I'm certain that fraud will crash the party soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
incredible job, i'm wondering what's causing the ~14% of DO's to not match. Doing something else? Not interviewing well? Screwed up application? Hate medicine? Not enough spots in field of interest?

I would say that it is probably a combination of many things... Prematch offers, not interviewing well, doing something else, hate medicine, take a year off, have a baby... etc

Well the DO vs Carib discussion should have been extinct years ago!! now I think it's time for MD vs DO discussion to go away!! cause clearly from the stats 89% of DOs have matched (DO+MD residencies) and 94% of MDs have matched!!

And I think the 5% difference is due to the fact that those people shouldn't have been accepted to med school in the first place for different reasons!!

UBCvan, I totally agree. I hate to say it but with DO schools having slightly lower admissions averages they tend to have a couple less stellar students in each class - this likely explains the lower % matched.

And yes, I am going to a DO school and I'm damn excited so it's not a DO bias here.

Edit: And OP! This is the greatest thing I've come across on these forums. I was a little worried for bailing on cold weather MD's for a warm weather DO but now I'm really not. Cheers mate!

like everyone else i am sure, i wandered into this thread waiting to see how this annoying thread could possibly be different from the rest of the annoying MD DO FMG threads. holy crap this is awesome.

Specialty MD DO IMG

Anesthesiology 4.18% 3.37% 1.32%
Dermatology 0.15% 0.85% 0.00%
Emergency Medicine 7.88% 12.19% 6.23%
Neurological Surgery 1.15% 0.39% 0.17%
Orthopedic Surgery 3.99% 2.84% 0.17%
Radiology-Diagnostic 0.80% 0.26% 0.23%
Surgery (Categorical) 5.97% 3.99% 2.92%
Urology 0.06% 0.62% 0.00%
Otolaryngology 1.73% 0.03% 0.06%

And they say DOs can't specialize? LOL

This is epic indeed... DO's fair even better than I would of thought! I might be misreading it, but it looks to me that .14% percent of US MD's match derm, while .13% of DO's match ACGME derm.... add in the Osteo match and .85% of DO's total match into derm! That is amazing!

This is indeed one of the best things I've seen. Really answers a lot of questions! Thank you for taking the time to put this together!

This is truly great work, HockeyDr09. Thank you very much for these awesome data. This really should be made sticky for those who are considering between DO and Caribbean.

This is epic indeed... DO's fair even better than I would of thought! I might be misreading it, but it looks to me that .14% percent of US MD's match derm, while .13% of DO's match ACGME derm.... add in the Osteo match and .85% of DO's total match into derm! That is amazing!

To NurWollen: this is what I've been saying for a long time. The AOA match is pretty awesome because it allows us to be overrepresented in certain specialty fields. Makes me happy to see someone lay it all out.

To Hockey Dr: amazing man. thank you so much for doing this.

To NurWollen: this is what I've been saying for a long time. The AOA match is pretty awesome because it allows us to be overrepresented in certain specialty fields. Makes me happy to see someone lay it all out.

To Hockey Dr: amazing man. thank you so much for doing this.

You're absolutely right; I think people really overlook the AOA match... It's a much bigger advantage I think than people realize. Also, I think it's interesting that DO's were only .01% less likely to match ACGME derm than MD students. Not statistically significant.

Even for other highly competitive fields, like ortho, you're looking at ~3% for MD and ~2% for DO.... again, not really that significant a difference. DO rocks!

Very impressive. Kudos and major thanks to you for taking the time to put all this together :thumbup:

This should get stickied on pre-allo too.

Am I seeing things here? It looks like there are more graduating senior DO's who matched Derm than there are MD's.

My MD student friends swear up and down that DO makes Derm all but impossible.

Am I seeing things here? It looks like there are more graduating senior DO's who matched Derm than there are MD's.

I think your friend is mistaken. Bring him to this thread!

Derm stats are skewed. Derm has a TON of matches for PGY - 2. These stats are only PGY - 1. There are a few other specialties that are affected by this too. I wanted to include PGY - 2 matches, but I wasn't sure where the AOA data for PGY -2 matches are.

edit

In the NRMP ~2,000 MD's matched PGY-2. ~250 DO's matched PGY -2. I really should account for the data in there. I'm not exactly sure how people match into PGY-2 programs, I'd really appreciate any details on that. I am going to include the PGY-2 data as well, once I have some time. I just need to figure out if there is DO data out there, and how i'll incorporate the data.

Last edited:
This had better be stickied. I might just go ahead and try to initiate it myself....do I just message a mod??

report the original post and suggest it as a sticky.

Derm stats are skewed. Derm has a TON of matches for PGY - 2. These stats are only PGY - 1. There are a few other specialties that are affected by this too. I wanted to include PGY - 2 matches, but I wasn't sure where the AOA data for PGY -2 matches are.

edit

In the NRMP ~2,000 MD's matched PGY-2. ~250 DO's matched PGY -2. I really should account for the data in there. I'm not exactly sure how people match into PGY-2 programs, I'd really appreciate any details on that. I am going to include the PGY-2 data as well, once I have some time. I just need to figure out if there is DO data out there, and how i'll incorporate the data.
Nice work. Might wanna look into Rads too. It is a similar deal like Derm where you have to do an intern year first. There are a whole lot more than approx. 140 spots of Rads in this country.

Dude, these numbers are so wrong for every specialty that has a mix of categorical and advanced spots. This is close to worthless for gas, derm, rads, rad onc, etc

Dude, these numbers are so wrong for every specialty that has a mix of categorical and advanced spots. This is close to worthless for gas, derm, rads, rad onc, etc

Technically the numbers are correct. I listed clear as day that I had only included PGY-1 matches because I couldn't find DO PGY-2 matches. I understand what you're saying, and your right, as I said previously, I'm going to update the data. The numbers are only "worthless" on the first page for only US MD in those PGY -2 matches. Like I said, i'll fix it.

Technically the numbers are correct. I listed clear as day that I had only included PGY-1 matches because I couldn't find DO PGY-2 matches. I understand what you're saying, and your right, as I said previously, I'm going to update the data. The numbers are only "worthless" on the first page for only US MD in those PGY -2 matches. Like I said, i'll fix it.

Yeah, I understand how you know the numbers are messed up, but what's the point in posting it without those numbers? The thing people in this thread are most surprised about are the derm numbers which turn out to be completely wrong. PGY-2 spots in competitive specialties are not just something you can exclude

Yeah, I understand how you know the numbers are messed up, but what's the point in posting it without those numbers? The thing people in this thread are most surprised about are the derm numbers which turn out to be completely wrong. PGY-2 spots in competitive specialties are not just something you can exclude

I posted it way before I realized how much of a difference the PGY-2 spots made. As you can see from my pre-med status, I wasn't exactly familiar with PGY-1 vs PGY-2 matching, and as I have said before, I would appreciate anyone enlightening me on how it works. I said i'll update it when I have a chance. I'm not sure what more you want from me.

Last edited:
I don't know if this holds true for derm gas etc, but I do know that for AOA rads, all programs are catergorical.

I don't know if this holds true for derm gas etc, but I do know that for AOA rads, all programs are catergorical.

This would explain why the DO rads match is low. After some research there are another ~70 DO's that match rads PGY-2 through AOA match. These were not listed in the AOA match data, so I didn't see them. That would increase the DO %, just as the NRMP would increase the MD%. We'll see how it comes out. Any other programs that match in a similar way?

Spreadsheet updated and includes PGY-1 and PGY-2 matches. Pretty much if anyone matched in the NRMP or the AOA, they are accounted for.

Please refer to first post for list of fixes.
Thanks to everyone for the appreciation once again.

If there is anything else wrong, let me know, just try not to be so whiny about it. :thumbup:

P.S dannydickman, you should probably either update or delete the shots, some of the data listed on there is wrong now.

Spreadsheet updated and includes PGY-1 and PGY-2 matches. Pretty much if anyone matched in the NRMP or the AOA, they are accounted for.

Please refer to first post for list of fixes.
Thanks to everyone for the appreciation once again.

If there is anything else wrong, let me know, just try not to be so whiny about it. :thumbup:

P.S dannydickman, you should probably either update or delete the shots, some of the data listed on there is wrong now.

It still has problems. Urology is all wrong because it's not in the nrmp match so you might as well not count it (come on, you think there are only 9 urologists produced every year). An additional problem is youre counting ENT and facial plastics as a match for both ENT and integrated plastics for DO's. This skews the integrated plastics numbers

It still has problems. Urology is all wrong because it's not in the nrmp match so you might as well not count it (come on, you think there are only 9 urologists produced every year). An additional problem is youre counting ENT and facial plastics as a match for both ENT and integrated plastics for DO's. This skews the integrated plastics numbers

Honestly, give me a break here. All I'm posing is the data in the tables. I was unable to knitpick between a few thousand numbers on 3 sheets. No need to be an ass about it. It still should be counted to see DO percentages. I'll make a note that it doesn't use the NRMP match. I am still unsure about what to do with ENT / Plastics. Why are they together in the DO match? If I put it in only one it would have skewed it, if I put it in both it would have skewed it. I'm not sure what to do with it.

Why dont you PM the OP with your amazing knowledge and help out instead of being the kid who raises his hand to point out to the professor that there is an extra pair of electrons labeled on the chalkboard.

Reactions: 1 users
Why dont you PM the OP with your amazing knowledge and help out instead of being the kid who raises his hand to point out to the professor that there is an extra pair of electrons labeled on the chalkboard.

if you have a problem with it, why don't you just PM me. I don't see the point in posting a bunch of data if the data is wrong.

if you have a problem with it, why don't you just PM me. I don't see the point in posting a bunch of data if the data is wrong.

Dr. Fraud is that you?

I appreciate that you called out the data, and i'll been fixing it as I see it. This thread would be better used discussing and interpreting the data, rather than just saying data point 1 of 100,000 is wrong. Please PM me any other errors and I'll make the adjustments as necessary.

Dr. Fraud is that you?

I appreciate that you called out the data, and i'll been fixing it as I see it. This thread would be better used discussing and interpreting the data, rather than just saying data point 1 of 100,000 is wrong. Please PM me any other errors and I'll make the adjustments as necessary.

i'm not being critical, just trying to help. earlier people were high-fiving and claiming it should be stickied in pre-allo because the DO derm percentage was higher, that's what I call picking out one data point. Just because the changes aren't favorable to your position doesn't make them insignificant. This wasn't one data point, it was three entire highly competitive specialties

If you look at Dooder's post history, youll notice a very prominent recurring theme.

troll.jpg

i'm not being critical, just trying to help. earlier people were high-fiving and claiming it should be stickied in pre-allo because the DO derm percentage was higher, that's what I call picking out one data point. Just because the changes aren't favorable to your position doesn't make them insignificant. This wasn't one data point, it was three entire highly competitive specialties

I don't have a "position". I just wanted to post all of the data. (Which I have done)

I PM'ed you. If you have a problem, deal with it there.

edit:
Good call Sloo0. I don't know why I always get sucked in.