2012-2013 University of Pittsburgh Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Tell us about a challenging problem you faced and how you resolved it. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

2. UPSOM is a culturally diverse and talented community. How would you enrich/enliven the UPSOM community? The essay should discuss material that is not included in the rest of your application. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello! :hello:

I just graduated from Pitt, and I'll be an MS-1 here in August. I'll try to lurk around here to answer any questions you have about Pitt and Pittsburgh in general!

Good luck to everyone applying, and as always, HAIL TO PITT!

awesome! what are some tidbits that you can provide about the school?

1) grading system
2) things about the city

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

1) grading system
2) things about the city

thanks!

1) My class will be the first on the P/F system. Previously it was H/P/F, and there was overwhelming support to switch to P/F. Every current student I talked to about it said that the administration really listens to students and what they want/need - student representatives sit on the curriculum committee and they are always tweaking things based on student feedback.

2) I know a lot of people rag on Pittsburgh, but I love it! It's a mid-sized city sandwiched between 3 rivers with over 400 bridges. The medical school (as well as the undergrad campus and all the other graduate/professional schools) is located in Oakland, a neighborhood about 3 miles outside of downtown Pittsburgh. I think of Oakland as its own little city. Pitt is an open, urban campus, in that its buildings are interspersed with community buildings. You can always find something to do, especially since you get free use of the public transportation system with your Pitt ID, allowing you to go pretty much anywhere. Pittsburgh has also been ranked the country's #1 most livable city for the last 2 years!

We also have UPMC, which I believe is the 12th ranked hospital system in the country. The new Children's Hospital, which is also one of the world's most beautiful hospitals, ranks 8th. Check it out --> http://www.chp.edu/CHP/most+beautiful+hospital

1) grading system
2) things about the city

thanks!

For reference, I'm an MS2 now.

1. Grading - I came in under the H/P/F system, and honestly, I don't really care that only the incoming class (2016) will get P/F and we won't. Preclinical grades are pretty darn low on anyone's list to examine when it comes to residency, and those people who were stressing out over getting honors in the H/P/F system would still be the people stressing out about how they do in a P/F system because they still want to have a top score, even if it isn't the letter that shows up on the transcript.

2. The city is great. I'm from the NE Corridor metro area, and the only thing that I would change about Pittsburgh if I could is to move it to somewhere in Eastern Pennsylvania so it would be closer to home. The city has lots of things to do, the neighborhoods are nice, cost of living is low, and the catchment area of the hospital system is huge.

What are your thoughts on people with below average matriculation gpas getting accepted? I have a higher than average MCAT but my gpa is probably a whole standard deviation below the average. Interesting ECs and background. Worthwhile to apply? Really interested in the school and living and Pitt!

What are your thoughts on people with below average matriculation gpas getting accepted? I have a higher than average MCAT but my gpa is probably a whole standard deviation below the average. Interesting ECs and background. Worthwhile to apply? Really interested in the school and living and Pitt!

Yes, apply! My GPA was really low for Pitt but I had a great MCAT and interesting ECs and now this fall I'll be an MS-1 at Pitt.

Hi I really love Pittsburgh (city & school), but I was wondering if they actually accept Canadians from a Canadian undergrad? According to their website, they do accept internationals, which I believe just started last or this past cycle. No internationals matriculated last cycle according to MSAR. (I'm not an exceptionally strong applicant)

Hi I really love Pittsburgh (city & school), but I was wondering if they actually accept Canadians from a Canadian undergrad? According to their website, they do accept internationals, which I believe just started last or this past cycle. No internationals matriculated last cycle according to MSAR. (I'm not an exceptionally strong applicant)

Yes, they do; I know of at least one Canadian of Canadian undergrad provenance who was accepted this cycle.

Incoming MS1 here. Just gonna drop in and wish current applicants the best of luck :luck:

Yes, they do; I know of at least one Canadian of Canadian undergrad provenance who was accepted this cycle.

Wow that's amazing - thanks! Pitt might be a dream come true :)

Anyone else able to weigh in here about internationals being accepted at Pitt? It'd be much appreciated!

I figure it's time for me to jump into this thread, good luck to y'all! Here's to not being on the waitlist come next June!

I applied to Pitt! What should I know about the school? What did they ask on their secondary prompts last year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to Pitt! What should I know about the school? What did they ask on their secondary prompts last year?

You can find out pretty much every school's previous essay prompts if you just use the SDN forum search feature!

I figure it's time for me to jump into this thread, good luck to y'all! Here's to not being on the waitlist come next June!

LOL I second that!!! Pitt is my absolute dream school...but alas I am still hanging out on the wait list. I only applied to a few of schools last year...but this is the last year for my MCAT score, so I had to spend the money and apply to more! Good luck!

You can find out pretty much every school's previous essay prompts if you just use the SDN forum search feature!

I applied to Pitt last yr. Speaking of waitlists, it seems that Pitt puts a lot of students on the waitlist initially and in March/April starts pulling them off. Perhaps they like to wait for the students who withdraw out first because by March/April they would've gotten other offers.

TD;LR: Don't be discouraged if you're on the waitlist at Pitt first. I got pulled off in end of March out of the blue. I didn't send any interest letters or anything.

I applied to Pitt last yr. Speaking of waitlists, it seems that Pitt puts a lot of students on the waitlist initially and in March/April starts pulling them off. Perhaps they like to wait for the students who withdraw out first because by March/April they would've gotten other offers.

TD;LR: Don't be discouraged if you're on the waitlist at Pitt first. I got pulled off in end of March out of the blue. I didn't send any interest letters or anything.

+1. They accept very few people outright. I think it's something like 70-75% of those interviewed go to waitlist, only 10% get accepted outright. I was randomly accepted in February without any LOIs (I was actually in the middle of drafting one when I got the email). If you go through our application thread (2011-2012), you'll find that a lot of people withdrew from the waitlist because they didn't want to wait until spring for Pitt to make a decision. I'm sure that's what Pitt wants. If you really like Pitt and want to go there, you'll wait until spring or even summer to get in.

Can I PM one of the current students regarding a question on the secondary?

Thanks

Can someone please put up the secondary application? It would be great. =) Thanks in advance

The secondary prompts from last year can be found on last year's school-specific thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=823502

FWIW, last year's prompts were the same as the year before, but that doesn't guarantee that it will be the same this year.

Can I PM one of the current students regarding a question on the secondary?

Thanks

I'm not a current student quite yet, but feel free to PM me if you want.

+1. They accept very few people outright. I think it's something like 70-75% of those interviewed go to waitlist, only 10% get accepted outright. I was randomly accepted in February without any LOIs (I was actually in the middle of drafting one when I got the email). If you go through our application thread (2011-2012), you'll find that a lot of people withdrew from the waitlist because they didn't want to wait until spring for Pitt to make a decision. I'm sure that's what Pitt wants. If you really like Pitt and want to go there, you'll wait until spring or even summer to get in.

My only wish about their waitlist is that by now they'd switch to rejections. Like those of us who are so far down the waitlist that it'd require a couple hundred of twilight zone style med student disappearances to get in versus those who are a few students away from being a med student.

Obviously it doesn't matter too much, it'd just be nice to see either "rejection" or "acceptance" rather than "the admissions committee... has decided to place you on the waitlist at this time." I'd like to have absolute certainty past July, but I'd never click the withdrawal button. By now if I got off the waitlist i'd probably jump out a window in happiness and annoyance at blowing my money on my second AMCAS primary.

Hi everyone! Another incoming MS-1 here...

Definitely dont be discouraged from applying to Pitt. I think Pitt does a very good job of looking at you as a person, rather than just a piece of paper with an MCAT score and GPA. I can tell you that I had a mediocre GPA, and they still gave me good consideration considering my activities and whatnot.

But, I think Pitt is a school that definitely favors the early applicant, so do your homework, be prepared, and don't hesitate to submit your app if you're ready to go.

I chose Pitt because of it's strength in EM, and that I really enjoyed the student body here. I think my peers are pretty laidback and chill, which is something very necessary when you're studying as intense as medicine. The faculty here are also very nice and willing to connect with students as well. The cirriculum seemed pretty good from what was advertised-Would be happy to update once the year begins. But, for what its worth, the office of medical education OMED seems to be very receptive to its students, which is great!

PM any of us if you have any additional questions! Cheers, and good luck!

Hi everyone! Another incoming MS-1 here...

Definitely dont be discouraged from applying to Pitt. I think Pitt does a very good job of looking at you as a person, rather than just a piece of paper with an MCAT score and GPA. I can tell you that I had a mediocre GPA, and they still gave me good consideration considering my activities and whatnot.

But, I think Pitt is a school that definitely favors the early applicant, so do your homework, be prepared, and don't hesitate to submit your app if you're ready to go.

I chose Pitt because of it's strength in EM, and that I really enjoyed the student body here. I think my peers are pretty laidback and chill, which is something very necessary when you're studying as intense as medicine. The faculty here are also very nice and willing to connect with students as well. The cirriculum seemed pretty good from what was advertised-Would be happy to update once the year begins. But, for what its worth, the office of medical education OMED seems to be very receptive to its students, which is great!

PM any of us if you have any additional questions! Cheers, and good luck!

The bold/italicized part is true. Pitt will begin interviewing on August 20th this year, and they are scheduled to conclude mid-December. This means that a late application can kill your chances, as their interview season is very short compared to most schools. Also, Pitt is known for sending out very quick interview invites - I got mine within 24 hours of being complete! Last year, they delayed sending out any acceptances until November 15th, and even then there were very few. Pitt initially waitlists around 75% of the interviewees, and then they accept people from roughly February through the start of classes. If you are waitlisted, don't fret too much!

I chose Pitt because I got a great feeling at the interview day. Everyone was so nice and friendly, and I was also impressed with the UPMC hospital system. Pitt's curriculum is blocked and is newly pass/fail, which was a definite plus for me (even though pre-clinical grades are not super important). After I was accepted, the financial aid office scheduled me for a same-day appointment, where I was counseled for almost an hour about the various ways to finance my education there. Overall, I was very impressed with Pitt, and I am super thrilled to begin here in August. :) Feel free to PM me with questions as well!

FYI - Pitt does not have a "standard" MCAT or GPA that they are looking for. If you have a strong GPA or MCAT but the other seems "weak" for Pitt's standards, it is probably still worth it to apply.

Just got the secondary a few minutes ago!

1. Tell us about a challenging problem you faced and how you resolved it. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

2. UPSOM is a culturally diverse and talented community. How would you enrich/enliven the UPSOM community? The essay should discuss material that is not included in the rest of your application. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

quick question: when pitt asks you for course hours, do you put in OT hours or semester hours?

thanks!

and, how do you put in AP courses? I just copy/pasted from the amcas (AP credit: chem 101-102-103, grade G) Is that okay?

umm... and what about labs for AP courses? Do I just leave it blank? I don't designate AP credit as having a lab, right?

AHHHHHH. and since it asks for course name/number... should I put the name according to the listing (IE BIOS 10001) or the name of the class? or both?

sorry for being neurotic >.<

Last edited:
For the course requirements, if we have beyond the one year of that discipline, should we be including it? or just the first two semesters of that discipline? thanks and good luck everyone!

For the course requirements, if we have beyond the one year of that discipline, should we be including it? or just the first two semesters of that discipline? thanks and good luck everyone!

I don't know for sure, but I'd guess just the 2 semesters that fulfill the course requirements. I think they just want to make sure you meet the course requirements. For the rest, they have the AMCAS.

I got the secondary too. FYI, you can call their admissions office from a number that's available from the secondary. So far I haven't had to wait more than two rings before a live human gets the phone, and they've been very helpful. (I called twice so far about silly little things).

Actually, I'll just add the number here: 412-648-9891. Call and all these questions should be answered. Just remember to tell us all the results! :D

Just got the secondary a few minutes ago!

Well this is a problem... My Work & Activities section of the Primary talked about all of my 'culturally diverse' activities. Does this mean I can't elaborate on any of these?

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Submitted secondary like 20 minutes ago...II's are already going out!
Wow, quick turnaround! lol

Last edited:
The secondaries are slightly different this year. :p The "ethical dilemma" has been replaced by a "challenge." Hopefully this makes it easier for some people!

For the diversity essay, definitely try to talk about something that was not previously discussed in your application. If you already talked about everything unique, then at least elaborate more on the subject or spin it in a different light. Why do you think you'd be a great addition to Pitt?

Interview Invite! AMAZED as it was about 20 seconds after I submitted my secondary. I go here for undergrad. Im so happy! its my top choice!:)

Haha, whoa!

I'm guessing that invites are sent only after letters of recommendations are in, though, right?

Interview Invite! AMAZED as it was about 20 seconds after I submitted my secondary. I go here for undergrad. Im so happy! its my top choice!:)

Very cool, congrats on the II :)

Was it really that fast a turn-around? I didn't know Pitt auto-invites based on stats

September 25th is my date! They had dates as early as August 21 but I hope to get an interview somewhere else before that for practice because I would prefer my top choice not be my first interview. And yes, my LORs are all in!

September 25th is my date! They had dates as early as August 21 but I hope to get an interview somewhere else before that for practice because I would prefer my top choice not be my first interview. And yes, my LORs are all in!

Clever thinking.

Are you familiar with the med school area? Is there parking available?
From my journeys I have come to conclude that "one does not simply find a spot to park in pittsburgh".

Do you mind me asking what your stats are? If it's some automatic thing based on GPA/MCAT, I'd like to gather information on what they consider so great they'll give an interview just like that.

I go to school here and parking on the street is pretty much impossible but there are a few parking garages available that will cost you a few dollars (like $5 i think?). I'm not sure if Pitt gives parking to visitors/interviewers tho sorry. I'm just gonna walk from my apartment :).

Also I don't mind sharing MCAT 36P (10P, 13V, 13B) sGPA 3.90, cGPA 3.91. Major- neuroscience

I go to school here and parking on the street is pretty much impossible but there are a few parking garages available that will cost you a few dollars (like $5 i think?). I'm not sure if Pitt gives parking to visitors/interviewers tho sorry. I'm just gonna walk from my apartment :).

Also I don't mind sharing MCAT 36P (10P, 13V, 13B) sGPA 3.90, cGPA 3.91. Major- neuroscience

thanks for the info!

Awesome and thank you very much!

Can we hear the stats from people who have submitted the secondary but NOT recieved an auto-invite?

Status
Not open for further replies.