2012-2013 University of Pittsburgh Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I go to school here and parking on the street is pretty much impossible but there are a few parking garages available that will cost you a few dollars (like $5 i think?). I'm not sure if Pitt gives parking to visitors/interviewers tho sorry. I'm just gonna walk from my apartment :).

Also I don't mind sharing MCAT 36P (10P, 13V, 13B) sGPA 3.90, cGPA 3.91. Major- neuroscience

Pretty sure most of the garages, except hospital visitor garages fill up very early due to the abundance of med employees who drive to work, and I think the hospital visitor garages are much more than $5 for the entire day (or else, everybody would park there). If you choose to bring your car, see if you can leave it at your hotel/host's apt and take the bus over or try to find parking in one of the Oakland garages.

Members don't see this ad.

I go to school here and parking on the street is pretty much impossible but there are a few parking garages available that will cost you a few dollars (like $5 i think?). I'm not sure if Pitt gives parking to visitors/interviewers tho sorry. I'm just gonna walk from my apartment.

Also I don't mind sharing MCAT 36P (10P, 13V, 13B) sGPA 3.90, cGPA 3.91. Major- neuroscience

They definitely do not comp you parking. Pretty sure most of the garages, except hospital visitor garages fill up very early due to the abundance of med employees who drive to work, and I think the hospital visitor garages are much more than $5 for the entire day (or else, everybody would park there). If you choose to bring your car, see if you can leave it at your hotel/host's apt and take the bus over or try to find parking in one of the Oakland garages.

By the way, bring comfy shoes for the interview, especially if you're a lady, or you will have the most uncomfortable day of your life so far walking up and down the hill. :)

Anyone know if Pitt accepts a lot of out of state students??

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if Pitt accepts a lot of out of state students??

They don't have any preference in state vs out of state they interview 132/773 in state kids and 835/4209 out of state kids according to the MSAR.

Awesome and thank you very much!

Can we hear the stats from people who have submitted the secondary but NOT recieved an auto-invite?

Ok I didn't receive an Auto-invite, but my stats are pretty ugly so that's why lol but here you go: cGPA: 3.84, sGPA: 3.75, MCAT: 34R (13V, 11PS, 10BS).

Ok I didn't receive an Auto-invite, but my stats are pretty ugly so that's why lol but here you go: cGPA: 3.84, sGPA: 3.75, MCAT: 34R (13V, 11PS, 10BS).

Only on SDN...

We don't know if there is auto invites! Maybe I just had a very eager reviewer!

We don't know if there is auto invites! Maybe I just had a very eager reviewer!

Unless your reviewer was Kim Peek, no one can read an application that quickly :laugh:

Unless your reviewer was Kim Peek, no one can read an application that quickly :laugh:

I may have slightly exaggerated! it was more like 15 minutes! and it was 45 minutes after I submitted the app but only 15 after I paid the fee!

Well, Good luck wizedw!! Not even applying here, but huge congratulations in order for (possibly) being the first SDNer to get an interview!!:luck:

P.s.: are you sure you wanna wait that long to interview? i mean i understand you want to practice, but i'm sure your career center can do some mock-interviews for you... I mean it's up to you, but they clearly are impressed...

Interview Invite! AMAZED as it was about 20 seconds after I submitted my secondary. I go here for undergrad. Im so happy! its my top choice!:)

I may have slightly exaggerated! it was more like 15 minutes! and it was 45 minutes after I submitted the app but only 15 after I paid the fee!

Well, yeah, that does change things a bit :idea:.

~ 20 seconds = auto-invite
~ 20 minutes = someone (very likely) read your application

I didn't think Pitt did auto-invites which is why I was surprised by your original post. In either case, nice job in getting such an early II. Also note that Pitt was my first interview also, and although I was very nervous, I obviously did well enough. There's nothing wrong with trying to squeeze another school interview in before it, but like someone else mentioned, you should try to do mock interviews with your school before any med school interviews. You don't really want to "practice" during an actual med school interview, even if it's not your top choice school. Do plenty of practicing beforehand.

No, no, no! Those are fantastic stats that you should be proud of. If you're hanging out with people who are making you think those numbers are mediocre or "ugly," find new people to hang out with. Seriously, in real life (not including those I met during interviews), I've only known of two people with a higher MCAT than that. It's not very common.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview Invite!!!! OMG I LOVE THIS SCHOOL SO MUCH SO I AM SO EXCITED! :love::love:

Submitted yesterday, complete today, II today! Will be there on 8/24!

I second Jesse in saying that those are very good stats... You seriously shouldn't think of them as "ugly."

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

submitted yesterday but my letters didnt get to amcas till today. it still says my letters aren't completed (in the pitt app). how long did it take for your letters to show up as completed once they got to amcas?

In their second question, "The essay should discuss material that is not included in the rest of your application". Does this mean you shouldn't use the examples that were listed in PS, work&activity, etc?

In their second question, "The essay should discuss material that is not included in the rest of your application". Does this mean you shouldn't use the examples that were listed in PS, work&activity, etc?

I think you can mention activities as long as you discuss things about those activities that you didn't talk about in the AMCAS.

Got an interview invite!!!! Guess my stats aren't so ugly after all lol surprised that I got it today...guess it isn't a holiday for admissions offices!

are the interview invites coming in emails or do you have to check your status page?

When were you complete and what were your stats if you don't mind sharing?

No interview yet :/ -
34Q, 3.90 cGPA, 3.89 sGPA
*Submitted secondary on 7/2, Pitt undergraduate.

When were you complete and what were your stats if you don't mind sharing?

Sure! I was complete the day the secondaries got mailed out...so July 2 I believe. My stats are: cGPA 3.84, sGPA 3.75, 34R MCAT: 13V, 11PS, 10BS.

when they say, "The essay should discuss material that is not included in the rest of your application," does that just mean, don't repeat your personal statement? can we spin some of the stuff we mentioned in our PS and extracurriculars...?

Everyone, just give it all some time. I don't think it's worth being neurotic over just because person A got an interview a few days ago...the difference in time relative to the overall timeline of the admissions process is so small, I wouldn't worry about it. You still submitted your app well ahead of most people, and from what it seems, most of the people here have some solid stats. Whether you get your interview today, tomorrow, or even a month from now, you're still doing great!:)

For those of you with interviews, good luck! Glad to have you visiting the burgh. woo!

For those of you that have gotten interviews did you guys apply EDP or regular?

Congrats to you guys who already received II's! I'm just wondering if you need to have a complete application WITH Letters before getting an interview invite. I'm kind of frustrated with my undergrad because they said they were uploading letter packets near the end of July/early August, but that it should have no bearing on interview invites and that they focus on letters well into the interview process (or so my adviser said...)

I'm thinking he was wrong...I guess he also didn't expect a school to be sending out II's so immediately.

Anyone getting an II without Letters let me know~

Congrats to you guys who already received II's! I'm just wondering if you need to have a complete application WITH Letters before getting an interview invite. I'm kind of frustrated with my undergrad because they said they were uploading letter packets near the end of July/early August, but that it should have no bearing on interview invites and that they focus on letters well into the interview process (or so my adviser said...)

I'm thinking he was wrong...I guess he also didn't expect a school to be sending out II's so immediately.

My letters were received. I do believe your application has to be complete with letters before invites are extended.

Interview invite! Hopefully see some of you around :)

Hey Guys,

For the secondary application where you list your Pre-Med requirements, did you put all the courses you took in that particular subject? For example, I have taken 4 Organic Chem classes. The two standard that every Pre-Med takes and two upper level. Can I list the upper level courses or are they only asking for the basic requirements?

Thanks

I had the same problem last year. You likely won't receive any interview invitations until you are marked complete with your committee letter. You should politely send reminder emails to your committee asking them if there's any possible way that your letters can be released earlier since you are finished with your primary. The beginning of August is not a big deal, but last year my committee didn't release some of my friends' letters until late August/early September (though they had told us August 1st).

Hey Guys,

For the secondary application where you list your Pre-Med requirements, did you put all the courses you took in that particular subject? For example, I have taken 4 Organic Chem classes. The two standard that every Pre-Med takes and two upper level. Can I list the upper level courses or are they only asking for the basic requirements?

Thanks

I asked them about this, and they said just put a year worth of classes, since they already see all of your classes on the AMCAS. I put my intro classes down.

Submitted!!! Would love you Pittsburgh!-- give me that love too.

I was complete as of last night, I want an interview invite here SO BAD.:xf:

I asked them about this, and they said just put a year worth of classes, since they already see all of your classes on the AMCAS. I put my intro classes down.

thanks a lot!

If they see all our classes on AMCAS, why bother asking us to put them down at all? :laugh:

Those of you who got interview invites already, do you mind sharing your stats? I submitted on 7/5, no interview though =[

Status
Not open for further replies.