This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc0307

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Key_to_Transcript.pdf
    91.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
So my school (Oakland University) utilizes a 0.1 grading system from 0-4.0 for each class (yeah man we are weird). Some classes require a 94% to get a 4.0 while others require 98 or even 100% !! AAMC currently has a conversion guideline for my school where a 3.6-3.8 is converted to a 3.7 ( essentially an A-). This can be a huge L because, for example, I received a 3.8 in physics 1 even thought i had a 96% in the class. But AAMC will convert that 3.8 even down more to a 3.7... It is advantageous for those with a lot of 3.6s because they will round up to 3.7, however those with a lot of 3.8s (like me) are screwed. Currently i have a 3.8 GPA. With the rounding of AAMC i will have a lower GPA.

with that being said, I recently found out about a 3 page document that my School's registrar office has and it is called "Key to Transcript". (I uploaded and attached the pdf) In one of the pages it says:

"The grading system is numeric and above the 0.0 grade is graduated by tenths from 1.0 to 4.0. Where conversion of numeric to letter grades is necessary, the University recommends the following scale: 3.6 - 4.0 = A; 3.0 - 3.5 = B; 2.0 - 2.9 = C; 1.0 - 1.9 = D; 0.0 = F."

so clearly AAMC is using a completely different conversion chart from what my school recommends; if this document was used by AAMC i would have a 3.9. Is it up to AAMC or would it be plausible for me to contact them/send them this document and see what they say?

Can i direct them to this document given that it is an official document by my school's registrar?

thanks for your input!

I have to say that is quite the system! With such variation between classes, my guess is that AMCAS created this guide as a way to try to "even out" the differences in GPA among the classes itself, which requires some thought. I know it seems unfair, but remember that , at most places, student need to get above a 94 to earn an A (4.0) , but if they get a 93 they get an A- (3.66). That's a huge jump, but it's how the system works.

So I know it seems unfair, but remember that a 3.7 is still above an A-, and is a great GPA. Not sure if there's much you can do unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 user
Life is unfair. The End.

Schools that see many applicants from Oakland University may know it as a grade deflator school... oh, you see a 3.6 from that place, it is like a 3.8 from anywhere else. Oh yes, they are hard markers over there...

Just let it go. Things will work out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Life is unfair. The End.

Schools that see many applicants from Oakland University may know it as a grade deflator school... oh, you see a 3.6 from that place, it is like a 3.8 from anywhere else. Oh yes, they are hard markers over there...

Just let it go. Things will work out.

thank you for the reply. I guess my question was just simply if it was worth the attempt to contact them and inform them about this key to transcript. I was curious if their conversion policy is tentative for situations like this where i have a legitimate document from my school's registrar.

thank you for the reply. I guess my question was just simply if it was worth the attempt to contact them and inform them about this key to transcript. I was curious if their conversion policy is tentative for situations like this where i have a legitimate document from my school's registrar.
But your school's registrar says this is when the number needs to be converted to a letter. And then it doesn't even convert to B+, A- but just A, B, C... So it's great if you never got less than a 3.5 but you go under that and you get whacked with a B (3.0) rather than maybe 3.3. AAMC is not going to convert your 3.7 to an A and then give you 4.0 grade points for each A when the school clearly states you earned 3.8. It does seem unfair that they don't use the grade points earned (as that is clearly what your school is awarding) but convert them to a more conventional system but as I said, life is not fair.

Reactions: 1 users
But your school's registrar says this is when the number needs to be converted to a letter. And then it doesn't even convert to B+, A- but just A, B, C... So it's great if you never got less than a 3.5 but you go under that and you get whacked with a B (3.0) rather than maybe 3.3. AAMC is not going to convert your 3.7 to an A and then give you 4.0 grade points for each A when the school clearly states you earned 3.8. It does seem unfair that they don't use the grade points earned (as that is clearly what your school is awarding) but convert them to a more conventional system but as I said, life is not fair.

I see what you're saying and i agree. Luckily for me I only have one grade below a 3.5; but i believe the way the key to transcript is set up is because for the majority of the classes, a 3.6 requires well above 93%, but for the difficult courses its a little easier

AMCAS is not going to care what grading system your school uses. You should care what AMCAS uses.

AMCAS is not going to care what grading system your school uses. You should care what AMCAS uses.

I don't think that's true.

On their conversion sheet it says "During the verification process, AMCAS converts most standard undergraduate transcript grades to AMCAS grades based on conversion information provided by colleges and universities".