-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
1st Rejection
Started by kilroth
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
don't sweat it. admissions is a crapshoot--in some cases, it's just a pure matter of luck. move on...hopefully an acceptance from vandy is on the way...🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry to hear that. I haven't heard back from U of Chicago yet...and I turned in my secondary for over 5 weeks now. I guess my rejection is comming soon! Who needs them !
Hang in there man... Re-examine your application if there are any red flags. To get into medical school, I think you only need to get pass the one or two people who initially screen your application. I have interviewed at many Texas medical schools and it is safe to say that most of my interviewers have absolutely no clue about me or my application, nor do they care to know the specifics. Most interviewers take for granted that the screeners present them with a competitive applicant. All they want to know in an interview is your personality and thought processes. If you get an interviewer who question you about specifics on your application, then they (screeners or interviewers) are probably questioning the sincerity of your application b/c the person in front of them does not project the contents (personal statement, EC, etc.) of the application. I also interviewed at 4 Ivy med schools and the interviews were also "get to know you" type of interview. The people who will interview with you and said that they were grind on the specifics of their application were either (1) probably not projecting the contents of the application, and (2) the interviewers are questioning the truthfulness of the application.
Moral of the story:
Re-examine your primary and secondary application to see if they "tell the same story" and that your extra-curricular activities collaborate with your academic and personal description.
I don't think the application process has anything to do with luck. The only thing that I think one has control over is the content of the application. The time you submit your application is the only luck in the application process in that you can beat the majority of the competition. It is waking-up early in the morning to beat traffic.
Hang in there. Just let me know if you need me to help you with anything
Moral of the story:
Re-examine your primary and secondary application to see if they "tell the same story" and that your extra-curricular activities collaborate with your academic and personal description.
I don't think the application process has anything to do with luck. The only thing that I think one has control over is the content of the application. The time you submit your application is the only luck in the application process in that you can beat the majority of the competition. It is waking-up early in the morning to beat traffic.
Hang in there. Just let me know if you need me to help you with anything
Thanks for your responses everyone. The rejection came through mail. I applied to five schools in Chicago so I am not devastated in the least by this setback. Also, two interviews this month with Vandy and SIU (state school) make me feel much better.
Good luck with your interviews! Just try not to let this one get to you (as difficult as that sounds). It seems like you'll have a good shot at some of these other schools, since you have some pretty good stats.
U of Chicago does puzzle a lot of people. It's true that many competitive applicants are placed on "hold" for a second review instead of interview right away.
Good luck at the other Chicago Schools (Finch and Northwestern are two others, I assume?)
Good luck at the other Chicago Schools (Finch and Northwestern are two others, I assume?)
The first is usually tough to handle. Coincidentally, my first rejection was from Pritzker too.
Originally posted by Street Philosopher
The first is usually tough to handle. Coincidentally, my first rejection was from Pritzker too.
Hehe....the key is to apply to more schools if you have the $$$$. I applied to 24 schools and my 1st rejection was from NYU. They said they wouldn't review my application b/c I'm neither a U.S. citizen nor a green card holder. Luckily they agreed to give me a refund for the application fee.
Originally posted by calebho501
Hehe....the key is to apply to more schools if you have the $$$$. I applied to 24 schools and my 1st rejection was from NYU. They said they wouldn't review my application b/c I'm neither a U.S. citizen nor a green card holder. Luckily they agreed to give me a refund for the application fee.
hey that wasn't a rejection then. it was a refund 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
wow! You got interviews at two great schools! That's awesome!
You'll make it in with your numbers. There are zillions of reasons why UC may have sent you that letter and it's inevitable that all of us will receive at least a few of those letters. The good news is that some great schools are considering you for admission.
Please keep those of us with "active" and "august mcat" profiles in your prayers 😀
Good luck at the interviews!
You'll make it in with your numbers. There are zillions of reasons why UC may have sent you that letter and it's inevitable that all of us will receive at least a few of those letters. The good news is that some great schools are considering you for admission.
Please keep those of us with "active" and "august mcat" profiles in your prayers 😀
Good luck at the interviews!
E
Eraserhead
Tulane is sending rejections too?
Got my rejection from Pritzker too! Came on the same day as the rejection from Mayo. Poopers.
Oh, for the timeline people out there.
File completed August 18
File completed August 18
Well, I just got my first rejection from Georgetown and I even work here! How rude! They could have atleast given me a courtesy interview. I may go throw a tomato at their door during lunch today and make some mean faces in their windows.
At least I still have an interview somewhere else lined up or else I'd be more upset.
Argh!
At least I still have an interview somewhere else lined up or else I'd be more upset.
Argh!
E
Eraserhead
I've got rejections from UChicago and UWashington.... I'm happy to receive rejections as long as I get interviews at the same time. It feels like I'm getting somewhere...
Your first rejection hurts the most. Although I had been accepted at another school, Pritzker was my first reject. OUCH.
I got a feeling my first rejection will be from Georgetown, as my application should have been completed on 8/4 but no letter or email so far.
I called the admission office and they vaguely said, "Your letter was mailed 3 days ago".....not a good sign
But that's probably fine, when I went to Vanderbilt for an interview, I met a Georgetown undergrad who said how he was holding back his Georgetown secondary b/c he disliked the medical school...
I called the admission office and they vaguely said, "Your letter was mailed 3 days ago".....not a good sign
But that's probably fine, when I went to Vanderbilt for an interview, I met a Georgetown undergrad who said how he was holding back his Georgetown secondary b/c he disliked the medical school...
Pritzker was my first rejection as well; seems like a common theme around here. It hurts too, I've gotten three interview offers since then and this one rejection still stings 🙁
I think Wake maybe has rejected me, because today I got an email saying: "we have your stuff and if we need to contact you further we will."
Since they screen it doesn't look like I'm getting a secondary.
That's ok, I guess. I'm not much of a southern personality and it can save me the $75 fee.
Since they screen it doesn't look like I'm getting a secondary.
That's ok, I guess. I'm not much of a southern personality and it can save me the $75 fee.
E
Eraserhead
Tulane's stats are on the website... I was put on hold but they don't tell you how many people are put on hold...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected from Northwestern already! Grr...
I'm psychic....my first rejection is indeed from Georgetown...Oh well, I'm planning to appeal
Originally posted by calebho501
I got a feeling my first rejection will be from Georgetown, as my application should have been completed on 8/4 but no letter or email so far.
I called the admission office and they vaguely said, "Your letter was mailed 3 days ago".....not a good sign
But that's probably fine, when I went to Vanderbilt for an interview, I met a Georgetown undergrad who said how he was holding back his Georgetown secondary b/c he disliked the medical school...
Originally posted by BananaSplit
Got my rejection from Pritzker too! Came on the same day as the rejection from Mayo. Poopers.
Got mine from mayo today as well so consider yourself in good company 🙂
Vandy rejection without interview.
It seems that this new policy of only giving secondaries if you are to interview hurts my chances. I have so much more to offer than the grades and MCAT.
Oh well. 1 school rejection 8 more schools left. I think I might add some more schools to the list.
Everyone who is getting rejections, these all sound like top schools so dont get down on them. They are highly selective, and there is still time to add more schools. The upside to applying so early!
It seems that this new policy of only giving secondaries if you are to interview hurts my chances. I have so much more to offer than the grades and MCAT.
Oh well. 1 school rejection 8 more schools left. I think I might add some more schools to the list.
Everyone who is getting rejections, these all sound like top schools so dont get down on them. They are highly selective, and there is still time to add more schools. The upside to applying so early!
Did it come through snail or email?
My Georgetown rejection came through snail mail.
I think most rejection letters come through snail mail though.
I think most rejection letters come through snail mail though.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got rejected pre-interview.
Ugh, I just got my Northwestern rejection letter. "We are sorry to advise you that we are unable to consider your application further ... "
It wasn't one of my top picks, but still, rejection hurts ... 🙁
I think Loyola's might be coming since I haven't heard anything for a while.
It wasn't one of my top picks, but still, rejection hurts ... 🙁
I think Loyola's might be coming since I haven't heard anything for a while.
paws-
sorry to hear about that northwestern one -- i got my first rejection yesterday, so i can empathize. i haven't gotten my northwestern one (yet), so i'm wondering if it's on your status page as well. for some sick reason, i guess, i'd like to know as soon as i could if they rejected me.
good luck with the rest of the process. thanks
sorry to hear about that northwestern one -- i got my first rejection yesterday, so i can empathize. i haven't gotten my northwestern one (yet), so i'm wondering if it's on your status page as well. for some sick reason, i guess, i'd like to know as soon as i could if they rejected me.
good luck with the rest of the process. thanks
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 943