2008-2009 UMass Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really sorry to hear about the rejections everyone...

But as everyone else has been saying, UMass takes so many reapplicants... don't let this stop you from going after exactly what you want to do. Good luck to everyone in the upcoming year :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys just to reiterate... stick with it if you are passionate about it, and you can get in somewhere; even if medicine takes you to a DO school or the caribbean. I applied once, and only had one interview at UMass, got rejected in May, did a Master's Program, reapplied, etc etc....and in the end it only gave me more perspective that this is really what I want to do, and in the end it is something you will keep with you for the rest of your career, because you wont take it for granted.

I know it sucks not getting in now, and its ok to feel disappointed, just dont lose faith, because if you really want it, you will get it, just be persistent and dont let anyone tell you that you cant do it!

I really agree with this and think this is the silver lining to the let-down. When you find that you keep persisting despite these setbacks, you really really realize how much you want it. At least this was true for me. I also agree with Breek, go pamper yourself a little bit! And yes, I do think umass warms up more each time you apply....So spoil yourself for a bit and then keep going. And if this is really what you want, then this will come naturally. Good luck.

To everyone else who is getting rejected in the next few days, I feel your pain. We'll do fine either somewhere else or next year though!

And to everyone waiting on the waitlist, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Have any OOS MD/PhD been rejected yet? I can't wait for my rejection letter! The wait will finally be over!! So excited!!!

Have any OOS MD/PhD been rejected yet? I can't wait for my rejection letter! The wait will finally be over!! So excited!!!

Haha, I'm with you. If they really decided back in November to reject me, I'm just looking forward to moving on with my life instead of living in a world where I have to hope to get into a school that's already made up its mind. That's not to say we aren't all allowed to feel disappointed and self indulge a bit before bringing up the old AMCAS 2010.

But to keep it on the sane side, I'm going to think all about the delicious pizza I'm going to make when I get home, not what's waiting in my mailbox. I made it up today while sitting at work thinking about food (happens a lot): asparagus pesto ricotta pizza with roma tomatoes and caramelized red onions. Eh? Eh?

Rejected today as well... Looks like I'd better get to work on my AMCAS... Best of luck to everyone else. Hopefully I'll get a chance to join you all at UMASS in another year or so.

No letter for me...

When will the madness end?!?!?!?!

Life: "Welcome back from vacation thompa...your grandfather died and now you're rejected. Have a great time reapplying!"

Me: "Thanks...jerk."

On the bright side, the Kentucky Derby was amazing. But otherwise it's been a depressing 24 hours. Oh well. Congrats to all those who've gotten accepted the past few weeks while I was out of town, and good luck to everyone still on the waitlist. Maybe I'll see y'all there next year (I dare to you spend 8 days in Kentucky and NOT say y'all at least once).

Looks like it's time to migrate over to the UMASS 2009-2010 thread.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather, thompa. What a crap day.

Life: "Welcome back from vacation thompa...your grandfather died and now you're rejected. Have a great time reapplying!"

On the bright side, the Kentucky Derby was amazing. But otherwise it's be a depressing 24 hours. Oh well. Congrats to all those who've gotten accepted the past few weeks while I was out of town, and good luck to everyone still on the waitlist. Maybe I'll see y'all there next year (I dare to you spend 8 days in Kentucky and NOT say y'all at least once).

:( Really sorry to hear that.

Rejected also.

3.9 GPA, RA, captain of XC team for two years... Don't know what I missed... here's hoping I find it and I become that annoying first year who can show up you second years! :D

Good luck to everyone who made it, good luck to everyone who didn't. Each step is a step forward, and each step forward is exactly that. I will see you all in a hospital someday, arguing over the best care. Godspeed. :D

On the bright side, the Kentucky Derby was amazing. But otherwise it's been a depressing 24 hours. Oh well. Congrats to all those who've gotten accepted the past few weeks while I was out of town, and good luck to everyone still on the waitlist. Maybe I'll see y'all there next year (I dare to you spend 8 days in Kentucky and NOT say y'all at least once).

My condolences thompa. That sucks.

Rejected: 3.7 GPA, 37 MCAT, huge man-unit, I guess they don't like people who know what they want out of life and go get it! I'm off to another (and because UMass is ******ed, better) med school in the fall, so we'll see you all around sometime. PEACE!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thompa, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. You and your family are in my thoughts. :(

I'm sorry Thompa. Talk about a stressful return from vacation... :(

My letter didn't come yet. But I live in the south, practically, so I'm not surprised it's taking longer.

Thompa, I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather.
Best wishes,

Rejected: 3.7 GPA, 37 MCAT, huge man-unit, I guess they don't like people who know what they want out of life and go get it! I'm off to another (and because UMass is ******ed, better) med school in the fall, so we'll see you all around sometime. PEACE!

Your telling me THAT was on your app and they STILL rejected you? Umass makes no sense!

did everyone on the waitlist get the "UMMS Financial Aid" email this morning?

I'm on the waitlist, no emails from UMMS financial aid.

just that you're on the waitlist, and you can elect to fill out the financial aid forms now or after being accepted.

perhaps admissions already prescreened the waitlist based on need and did not send the financial aid forms out to everyone.

just that you're on the waitlist, and you can elect to fill out the financial aid forms now or after being accepted.

maybe admissions already prescreened the waitlist based on need and didnt send the financial aid forms out to everyone. that, or they only sent it to people who have a chance of getting in, but i think that would not follow with umass' tradition of being as secretive as possible.

nope. didnt get that email...? what does the email say?

It basically said that as wait listed students, we have the option of filling out the financial aid now or wait for when we're accepted, if it comes. Then it just gave a link.

Nevermind, just got the email....maybe its alphabetical. (last name starts with S)

Nevermind, just got the email....maybe its alphabetical. (last name starts with S)

okay maybe im going a little crazy:
My last name starts with S too and i just got the email as well. Maybe we could compare times of our emails received and calculate an approximate time to send out an email between 2 somewhat consecutive people. and then find people with A and Z last names and approximate the number of people on the wait list. mwahahaha.

Last edited:
okay maybe im going a little crazy:
My last name starts with S too and i just got the email as well. Maybe we could compare times of our emails received and calculate an approximate time to send out an email between 2 somewhat consecutive people. and then find people with A and Z last names and approximate the number of people on the wait list. mwahahaha.

p.s. last name S, email received 11:40 am (eastern standard time)

Last edited:
Ok here we go: Last name starts with S:

Secondary application invitation:
8/11/08, 9:26 am

Interview invitation:
1/22/09, 3:44 pm

Waitlist notification:
4/21/09, 1:24 pm

Financial aid email:
5/7/09. 11:40 am

Let's crack their code!

Ok here we go: Last name starts with S:

Secondary application invitation:
8/11/08, 9:26 am

Interview invitation:
1/22/09, 3:44 pm

Waitlist notification:
4/21/09, 1:24 pm

Financial aid email:
5/7/09. 11:40 am

Let's crack their code!

Well, I'd say the only data we could actually use is the financial aid emails because those are the only ones that are sent to everyone on the list all in the same day. However, I got my financial aid email at the exact same time, so im not sure if they are sending them out individually at all...there goes that theory...sorry.

My last name starts with G and I got it at 10:38am. So the alphabetical thing is valid. I think it may be a little nuts to try to decipher the length of the waitlist this way though.

My last name starts with an M and I haven't gotten anything yet.

Hey kpm986, I saw in ur profile that you were accepted to UVM; are you going to second look tomorrow? (sorry dont mean to be creepy looking at ur profile!)

Yes, I am going to tomorrow! Are you accepted there/are you going?

Yeah I am! Driving up tonight at some point, when I get out of work. Should be good!

No letter for me...

When will the madness end?!?!?!?!

ME EITHER.

Maybe they just decided to be especially cruel to us. We'll receive our rejection letters August 1st. I'm beginning to think it's not beyond them.

ME EITHER.

Maybe they just decided to be especially cruel to us. We'll receive our rejection letters August 1st. I'm beginning to think it's not beyond them.

Haha, god that's a horrible thought. I just keep thinking about the letter of intent I could send my second-choice school once I have my Umass rejection in hand. Why does this never end?

Do you guys live around Boston though? I was thinking mine just took longer to get to me because of the distance. Uggghhh Umass whyyyy

Rejection letter received today. Good luck everyone else waiting!

I live in PA...so I guess Ill get my rejection sometime next week :laugh:

Nope I still haven't gotten it. Kind of making me nervous...

Nope I still haven't gotten it. Kind of making me nervous...

Maybe they're going in order of when you were waitlisted? If I remember correctly, you were waitlisted on the 1st, right?

Yes and I believe I was the last one to be waitlisted on this thread, so I bet you are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.