2010 Waitlist Blues?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:scared:
I was told "no decision has been made yet", which I assume means waitlist. Don't they have to tell you by April 1st where you stand? Do the deadlines really mean anything anymore since so many schools seem to not follow them? Can someone please explain this to me? Thanks!
The April 1st / April 15th recommendation is an attempt to get the vast majority of programs to have their students set by an early enough date so the process isn't dragged out through the summer. It isn't perfect, but it is far far better than not having a date.

Members don't see this ad.

The April 1st / April 15th recommendation is an attempt to get the vast majority of programs to have their students set by an early enough date so the process isn't dragged out through the summer. It isn't perfect, but it is far far better than not having a date.

Thanks for answering my question. It seems that the deadlines mean close to nothing... Yes, having a date is great, except when you haven't heard after the date. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I found out i'm on the waitlist at Yeshiva. I called. Letter was sent today.

Thanks for answering my question. It seems that the deadlines mean close to nothing... Yes, having a date is great, except when you haven't heard after the date. :)

Well, sadly, they''re called guidelines, not rules, for a reason. But, I'm guessing that you are on the waitlist. I don't know why they would not tell you that. The guidelines generally mean that a program's first choice applicants should be notified by April 1. All first choice applicants are supposed to have until April 15th to make a decision. Thus, if you're on a program's waitlist, you may not hear from them until after April 15th.

Also, interestingly, I had not yet received my official rejection from a school, even though I know for certain (because they told me) that all of their first choice picks accepted their offer over a month ago. The date of the letter was April 1, so I guess programs interpret the April 1 deadline in different ways. For some, it means inform the candidates by April 1. For some, it means postmark the letter by April 1. For still others, it means writer the letter by April 1, but don't send the letter out for a week. : )

It's a crazy process. Hang in there.

I received a rejection in the mail from one of the two waitlists that I was still on yesterday. Only one waitlist left to hope for. Beginning to think about going through this long and hard process again next year, and feeling really sick about it. So much energy wasted...ugh. It's hard to stay hopeful, even though I can't imagine doing anything else with my life at this point.

It is a great piece of skill to know how to guide your luck even while waiting for it.
Baltasar Gracian

Well, sadly, they''re called guidelines, not rules, for a reason. But, I'm guessing that you are on the waitlist. I don't know why they would not tell you that. The guidelines generally mean that a program's first choice applicants should be notified by April 1. All first choice applicants are supposed to have until April 15th to make a decision. Thus, if you're on a program's waitlist, you may not hear from them until after April 15th.

Also, interestingly, I had not yet received my official rejection from a school, even though I know for certain (because they told me) that all of their first choice picks accepted their offer over a month ago. The date of the letter was April 1, so I guess programs interpret the April 1 deadline in different ways. For some, it means inform the candidates by April 1. For some, it means postmark the letter by April 1. For still others, it means writer the letter by April 1, but don't send the letter out for a week. : )

It's a crazy process. Hang in there.

Thanks for your information and encouragement! I keep checking my email and mail with nervousness but yeah, I realize I am on the wailist even though I wasn't told so. I guess I just have to keep on waiting... :)

Snail mail or email? For which program was it for? Thanks!

I'd like to know the same thing, as I appear to be in the same boat with psychstudent613 but for the clinical health phd program. Thanks for sharing! And good luck.

I have rejected an offer from MSPP's clinical PsyD. Good luck to all!

Hi, I'm also waiting on yeshiva but for their clinical phd health program.

With RE: Yeshiva, am I the only one waiting for the clinical PsyD? It seems that most people on this thread are waiting for the Health Emphasis PhD. I am guessing they'll make us wait until they find out who's accepting this thursday- not nice of them at all.:(

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm feeling like it is going to be someone's lucky day on this thread! :luck:

Is anyone still considering giving up their slot at Suffolk? If you are, would you mind letting me know who your POI is?

Thanks!!

My post a couple days ago was about Yeshiva PsyD. I got the info by phone the other day but got it officially by e-mail and snail mail today about being on an alternate list. Anyone else? Did they do any rejections?

With RE: Yeshiva, am I the only one waiting for the clinical PsyD? It seems that most people on this thread are waiting for the Health Emphasis PhD. I am guessing they'll make us wait until they find out who's accepting this thursday- not nice of them at all.:(

I'm waitlisted and waiting to hear from the School-Clinical PsyD program!

Rejected from the waitlist today. I do hope the rest of you have better luck than I do today. I suppose it is time to get the ball rolling and prepare for next year. :(

Hooray! was accepted off a waitlist today! I swear, the aphorisms in this thread (and everyone's support) really got me through the stress.

Hooray! was accepted off a waitlist today! I swear, the aphorisms in this thread (and everyone's support) really got me through the stress.

Congrats! I knew that someone on this thread was going to get in today, I just knew it! :D

I'm sorry to hear that :(

It's just how the cookie crumbles I suppose. Time for Plan B is all. It just wasn't supposed to happen for me this year. I'm at peace with it and have started taking steps to move forward. :)

It's just how the cookie crumbles I suppose. Time for Plan B is all. It just wasn't supposed to happen for me this year. I'm at peace with it and have started taking steps to move forward. :)

+1 That's great. I hope I can be as calm and content if this is the route I have to take this year. Good for you!!

I'm feeling like it is going to be someone's lucky day on this thread! :luck:

Thanks for the good luck wish. I was informed today that I was selected as a 2010 National Acedemies Ford Fellow, which will fully fund me for any accredited school. However, I am still on wait lists at this late date and hope that this new bit of information will wiggle me off of a list and into a cohort this fall.

Thanks again for your good luck.

I got into Stanford-PGSP off the waitlist!!!!!! This was my top choice and I could not be more excited. Thank you everyone for your kind words and support during this process. Congrats to those with acceptances and good luck to those still waitlisted.

Here’s a few ideas of things I did to keep me sane while waitlisted:

1) Get away from the computer/phone!
2) Go outdoors as much as possible
3) Try a mini vacation
4) Exercise: especially cardio
5) Realize that checking your computer/phone/mailbox 100x per day will not make your acceptance come any sooner
6) Visualize yourself getting the acceptance
7) Visualize yourself getting a rejection. Go through the stages of grief and try and end on acceptance J
8) Be honest to those who support and love you; they will not love you any less if you do not get in
9) Prepare how you plan to improve your application for the next year
10) Remember why you want to become a psychologist and recognize that graduate school is only a means to an end, not the end itself.

Thanks for the good luck wish. I was informed today that I was selected as a 2010 National Acedemies Ford Fellow, which will fully fund me for any accredited school. However, I am still on wait lists at this late date and hope that this new bit of information will wiggle me off of a list and into a cohort this fall.

Thanks again for your good luck.

congrats. That is quite an accomplishment. Some lucky school should snatch you off the list! I assume you have notified all of them?

I got into Stanford-PGSP off the waitlist!!!!!! This was my top choice and I could not be more excited. Thank you everyone for your kind words and support during this process. Congrats to those with acceptances and good luck to those still waitlisted.

Here’s a few ideas of things I did to keep me sane while waitlisted:

1) Get away from the computer/phone!
2) Go outdoors as much as possible
3) Try a mini vacation
4) Exercise: especially cardio
5) Realize that checking your computer/phone/mailbox 100x per day will not make your acceptance come any sooner
6) Visualize yourself getting the acceptance
7) Visualize yourself getting a rejection. Go through the stages of grief and try and end on acceptance J
8) Be honest to those who support and love you; they will not love you any less if you do not get in
9) Prepare how you plan to improve your application for the next year
10) Remember why you want to become a psychologist and recognize that graduate school is only a means to an end, not the end itself.

Congrats! and great ideas.

I got an offer from the waitlist at one of my top mentor matches a few days ago and accepted yesterday! In spite of looming project deadlines, apartment searching, and moving, I haven't felt so relaxed since July '09! :D

Huge thanks to Hamster and all of the brilliant folks on this thread, and good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!

Hi guys,

I just posted this on the other acceptance/waitlist thread, but I thought I'd post here too, because I am panicking and need to make up my mind ASAP. So I apologize if anyone had to read this twice.

After lurking here for months, and only posting a couple of times, I decided to seek some advice from everyone. I just got off the waitlist at Hofstra and Fairleigh Dickinson for their clinical psych PhD. Does anyone know how these programs compare? I'm having a tough time deciding, and don't really know anyone who goes to either of the schools. FDU has a considerably better financial aid package, but I don't feel comfortable making my decision based on money alone. Any input/advice would be much appreciated (the sooner the better, with Thursday being 2 days away!).

Thanks!

I got an offer from the waitlist at one of my top mentor matches a few days ago and accepted yesterday! In spite of looming project deadlines, apartment searching, and moving, I haven't felt so relaxed since July '09! :D

Huge thanks to Hamster and all of the brilliant folks on this thread, and good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!

yay! I love to hear this.

Ork12, first off, congratulations. Getting into graduate school, albeit waitlist or no waitlist is quite an accomplishment. I think it is safe to say that many people on here wish they were in the quandry that you currently find yourself in!

Having said that, I just thought I'd put in my 2cents here. Not sure if it will be helpful, but I think it may be worth a try....

To be honest, i'd start out by making a list of the "pro's" and "con's" of each school. Try to be objective as you can be.
Then ask your self what your gut is telling you. It sounds trite, I know, but often times we hear that little voice in our heads for a reason.

Another thought that I'm having is that while seeking advice is often helpful to garner another point of view, perhaps it may be best to take a deep breath and ask your self some hard hard questions. The first thing that comes to my mind is that just from reading your post I'm kind of getting this frantic, "I have to make a decision!" vibe, and to be honest, perhaps you don't, at least between these two schools. As a personal aside, last year when I applied to schools I felt extremely pressured to apply to certain places and programs, only at the time I didn't realize that that was what I was feeling because I was so caught up in the notion of "I have to go to grad school" ! The second time around I applied on my terms, sans pressure, and making a decision was not only "easier" but much more enjoyable.

Hindsight is 20/20, and sometimes it is worth putting things on hold in order to gain that extra perspective. Long and short of it, don't make your decision based out of fear. That is to say, don't decide to go to one of these schools just because you are afraid of not getting in anywhere else in the future. Often times, making a decision based out of fear leads to regret (IMO). Clearly, you are qualified enough to get into school, which is a huge accomplishment, now the question becomes which program is right for you? Don't be afraid to wait it out, and apply again next year. There is much to be said and learned from applying to schools, and then applying again. :oops:

Best of Luck !

Ork12, first off, congratulations. Getting into graduate school, albeit waitlist or no waitlist is quite an accomplishment. I think it is safe to say that many people on here wish they were in the quandry that you currently find yourself in!

Having said that, I just thought I'd put in my 2cents here. Not sure if it will be helpful, but I think it may be worth a try....

To be honest, i'd start out by making a list of the "pro's" and "con's" of each school. Try to be objective as you can be.
Then ask your self what your gut is telling you. It sounds trite, I know, but often times we hear that little voice in our heads for a reason.

Another thought that I'm having is that while seeking advice is often helpful to garner another point of view, perhaps it may be best to take a deep breath and ask your self some hard hard questions. The first thing that comes to my mind is that just from reading your post I'm kind of getting this frantic, "I have to make a decision!" vibe, and to be honest, perhaps you don't, at least between these two schools. As a personal aside, last year when I applied to schools I felt extremely pressured to apply to certain places and programs, only at the time I didn't realize that that was what I was feeling because I was so caught up in the notion of "I have to go to grad school" ! The second time around I applied on my terms, sans pressure, and making a decision was not only "easier" but much more enjoyable.

Hindsight is 20/20, and sometimes it is worth putting things on hold in order to gain that extra perspective. Long and short of it, don't make your decision based out of fear. That is to say, don't decide to go to one of these schools just because you are afraid of not getting in anywhere else in the future. Often times, making a decision based out of fear leads to regret (IMO). Clearly, you are qualified enough to get into school, which is a huge accomplishment, now the question becomes which program is right for you? Don't be afraid to wait it out, and apply again next year. There is much to be said and learned from applying to schools, and then applying again. :oops:

Best of Luck !

Good advice! I went through a similar process when I was accepted to a school from the wait list -- I was happy, but I wasn't sure why I wasn't SUPER DUPER excited, y'know? So then I asked myself what about the school or area was making me hesitant... I realized that I was just nervous to move to a new state.

Sometimes it helps to see what about the schools made you want to apply to them in the first place. I'm a big fan of Pros/Cons lists, as well as the coin flip method (if your gut doesn't like the coin flip outcome, then you know its not right for you).

Good luck in your decision making! And congrats on your multiple acceptances! :)

I just wanted to let everyone know that I told these programs today that I WILL NOT be accepting their offers:

Loyola University Maryland, PsyD in Clinical Psychology, One of the second year spots that offered

Radford University, PsyD in Counseling Psychology

A few weeks ago I told LaSalle I will not be accepting their offer for their PsyD in Clinical Psychology.

I hope this opens up spots for a few of you!

I finally got everything straightened out with LIU (financial aid, etc.) so I formally sent Chestnut Hill College a letter turning down their offer. With that offer came an assistantship , so I hope this goes to someone who needs it! :)

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." - Thomas Edison

Ok, so I got into one program that I dont really want to go to (It is not very clinically oriented). It was may last choice, but the only one i got into. I am on a few other waiting lists, but as the deadlines draws nearer i am losing hope of getting accepted into them. I have a very good GPA and GRE, but have basically no research and not much clinical experience to speak of. Should I got to that program and play it safe (even though it is not what I am looking for) or turn it down and take my chances reapplying next year (with getting some more clin and research experience). I could really use some help!!!!!!!

Ok, so I got into one program that I dont really want to go to (It is not very clinically oriented). It was may last choice, but the only one i got into. I am on a few other waiting lists, but as the deadlines draws nearer i am losing hope of getting accepted into them. I have a very good GPA and GRE, but have basically no research and not much clinical experience to speak of. Should I got to that program and play it safe (even though it is not what I am looking for) or turn it down and take my chances reapplying next year (with getting some more clin and research experience). I could really use some help!!!!!!!

If what you want to do (workwise) is clinical, then you need a program that will give you strong clinical training. It does not seem smart to go into a program that you feel is not suited to you from the outset. You may not hear from your waitlisted schools until AFTER 04/15, since others (like you) are waiting until the last day to make a decision. I think you would be smart to see if you get one of your waitlisted slots, and if not, try again next year.

I have just received an e-mail with an offer of acceptance to the Psy.D. program at Roosevelt University. Not only has this forum has been a rich source of information, but has also allowed me to cope with the stresses of this whole application process. I am beyond ecstatic...I hope other applicants on waitlists have my good fortune as well.

I have just received an e-mail with an offer of acceptance to the Psy.D. program at Roosevelt University. Not only has this forum has been a rich source of information, but has also allowed me to cope with the stresses of this whole application process. I am beyond ecstatic...I hope other applicants on waitlists have my good fortune as well.

WOOOO HOOOOOOOo! Awesome!

Congrats! I am in their Clinical Master's program and have worked closely with some of the faculty members, they are all wonderful!

Accepted off the waitlist at GWU-PsyD. Will be declining tonight. Hope this helps!

I got off the waitlist-my position was in the middle of the waitlist...I declined the offer, I hope the next one in the waitlist will be happy with the news.

Happy April 15th!

Hopefully someone with multiple offers will send something good out to one of the waitlisters...

Just let a Marywood Psy.d offer go hope it helps..and that someone send a Syracuse PhD my way!