2010 Waitlist Blues?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have been accepted to a Masters program at Argosy in Irvine and the Ph.D program at Fuller. But I'm on a waitlist for Azusa Pacific and that is where I ultimately want to go.

I was denied from Biola (super bummed about that) but honestly I wasn't the most competitive applicant.

My question is would anyone recommend I accept Fuller or Argosy's invitation without hearing from APU because its getting close to the deadline of April 15.

Second question is, should I even bother accepting the offer from the other schools if they weren't my top picks? They are both very expensive but mostly my concern was the Christian approach.

I know this is a topic about waitlisting but I still think this is relevant. Should I wait for APU and if I am denied should I just accept one of the other offers or should I take a year off, get research experience and then reapply?

Do not accept one of the other offers until the 15th, IMO, if you accept at all. What made you "not the best applicant"? What can you do in the next 6ish months to improve your application?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not accept one of the other offers until the 15th, IMO, if you accept at all. What made you "not the best applicant"? What can you do in the next 6ish months to improve your application?

Ya I'm gonna wait until the 15th and I'm not competitive because my GPA is super low (3.2) and I have no research/clinical experience.

I think the biggest thing against me is my GPA and there really isn't anything I can do in the next 6 months about that :/ I could get research/clinical experience but that may or may not help me get into the school I want.

At this point I'm going to make a decision based on the offers I have received.

I hope hamsterpants won't mind if I offer an aphorism for the day. I've had this one taped to my computer monitor since an unsuccessful round of applications last year, and I always find comfort in it:

Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck. -- HH The Dalai Lama

I hope hamsterpants won't mind if I offer an aphorism for the day. I've had this one taped to my computer monitor since an unsuccessful round of applications last year, and I always find comfort in it:

Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck. -- HH The Dalai Lama

this is a great one!

Has anyone heard from the waitlists at LIU or St. Johns? I'm waiting on both of these and hoping desperatly that my chnace to get into grad school has not fizzled.

Specifically, has anyone had contact in which they were told something along the lines of "high priority" "low number of acceptances" anything that tells us if the list is even moving?

My contact with LIU said that they should have more information by April 15th.... Lots of news there. :cool:

So, I am currently “top alternate” at a program (which is my top choice of the choices I have thus far) and I am somewhat afraid that I may not know my status (accepted, rejected) until April 15th. Is this a common scenario? How do I go about handling my other offers? I currently have an offer from a PsyD program and a MA program. I am still deciding which option I want to take between the two. I do not want to keep other waitlisters waiting until the last moment either but I see no other option.

I just called the graduate admissions at Azusa Pacific because I still had not heard (good or bad) what my acceptance status is. Apparently they are holding my application and no decision has been made which is most likely because I am on a waiting list. I expressed the fact that my first choice school is APU hoping that kind of gets me in a little better (probably not but couldn't hurt to try.) So, I am expecting a call from one of their staff very soon. wish me luck guys!!! I REEEEEEEEEEALLY want to go to APU over Fuller Theological.

I heard back from her within 10 minutes and she said yes!!! so I'm in to the Pre-PsyD program at APU

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I am applying for the MFT program in APU. I am invited for a group interview next week. I am not familiar with the interview process and have no idea what to expect. Can anyone provide any help? THANKS!!!

Rejected off the waitlist at GW yesterday. I was kind of relieved, but obviously disappointed. With one acceptance, I wish I had a choice between programs, but I guess I should be grateful for the one offer I did get.

Rejected off the waitlist at GW yesterday. I was kind of relieved, but obviously disappointed. With one acceptance, I wish I had a choice between programs, but I guess I should be grateful for the one offer I did get.

in some ways its nice to have the choice made for u cuz choosing a school is driving me mad!! but i know what you're saying and choice is nice too.

Where are you going then?

I don't know--while, one one hand, I'm very lucky to have to make the choice that I'm making now, I sometimes think it would be a LOT easier to have it made for me. Sorry you got rejected off the WL, however--it's GWU's loss!

Accepted of the Waitlist at the University of Oregon for Clinical PhD and attending!!!!:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

in some ways its nice to have the choice made for u cuz choosing a school is driving me mad!! but i know what you're saying and choice is nice too.

yeah, I'm glad I didn't have to make a decision !

I have accepted at Loyola University Maryland PsyD and will be declining CW Post LIU PsyD in the next few days.

Good luck to all!

Officially accepted Adelphi's offer today and turned down St. John's School Psy. D program and Hofstra School-Community Psy. D. program for any of those on wait lists. Good luck to all!

I am rescinding my offers to Fuller Theological Seminary and Argosy University in Irvine.

I have officially accepted Azusa Pacific University PsyD program.

YAAAAAAY Finally!

Hofstra! :)

I don't know--while, one one hand, I'm very lucky to have to make the choice that I'm making now, I sometimes think it would be a LOT easier to have it made for me. Sorry you got rejected off the WL, however--it's GWU's loss!

Thank you!!

Congrats to those who got in off of the waitlist! I am very happy for you :D

It's one of those "all hope is lost" kinds of days. I blame it on the rain.

It's one of those "all hope is lost" kinds of days. I blame it on the rain.

I agree. I'm on four waiting lists, and I keep thinking something will pull through on most days. But today, I do feel like all hope IS lost.

I agree. I'm on four waiting lists, and I keep thinking something will pull through on most days. But today, I do feel like all hope IS lost.

Ditto... I have lost all but a smidgen of hope and by Friday that will be gone.

Me three. One waitlist said it was "unlikely."

It's not raining here, but I feel like the sun is taunting me instead.

Hopeless does not begin to describe it.

Me three. One waitlist said it was "unlikely."

It's not raining here, but I feel like the sun is taunting me instead.

Hopeless does not begin to describe it.

I'm on two waitlists. I know how you all feel, but look at all the turned down offers that were just posted!! Good luck to all of us waitlisters; I'm holding out hope!

I haven't heard from R U as of yet...I'm still anxiously waiting on a decision...and the fact that R U hasn't come up on that list of schools from which applicants have declined an offer from...It's just gotten me that much more nervous...Luck please!!

I know it may seem like it's easy for me to say now, but I wouldn't give up hope yet. Especially if you are on multiple lists. I sincerely believe there are quite a few folks hanging on to offers until the April 15 deadline and a lot will happen next week, 4/14-17th or so. There are posts on here and on gradcafe about making decisions between two schools and I think some people are still finalizing their funding offers. It's a big decision and I think it is natural to have some hesitancy unless you have a clear favorite.

8 days and counting......

Everyday I think, "This is the day!", but today was the first day I started looking for RA jobs and planning for next year. While we may feel like all hope is lost, it really isn't over yet! I'm just trying to be realistic as this point. I really don't want to get my hopes up, so I am just tucking them away.

I know it may seem like it's easy for me to say now, but I wouldn't give up hope yet. Especially if you are on multiple lists. I sincerely believe there are quite a few folks hanging on to offers until the April 15 deadline and a lot will happen next week, 4/14-17th or so. There are posts on here and on gradcafe about making decisions between two schools and I think some people are still finalizing their funding offers. It's a big decision and I think it is natural to have some hesitancy unless you have a clear favorite.

8 days and counting......

All very true hamster! Very true. :)

Everyday I think, "This is the day!", but today was the first day I started looking for RA jobs and planning for next year. While we may feel like all hope is lost, it really isn't over yet! I'm just trying to be realistic as this point. I really don't want to get my hopes up, so I am just tucking them away.

I do know how you feel about "tucking your hopes away". I don't want to get my hopes too high even though I feel like I was made for one of the the programs that I applied to and am waitlisted at. It's hard to find the middle ground of contentment between disregarding all hopes and anxiously awaiting.

I keep waiting for someone to tell hamster my school and get a little disappointed when I don't see it on the list. What's even more depressing is I don't hear anyone talk about the program on here. Maybe that's a good and bad thing?

I know it may seem like it's easy for me to say now, but I wouldn't give up hope yet. Especially if you are on multiple lists. I sincerely believe there are quite a few folks hanging on to offers until the April 15 deadline and a lot will happen next week, 4/14-17th or so. There are posts on here and on gradcafe about making decisions between two schools and I think some people are still finalizing their funding offers.
So how does one handle the situation of having one offer, which requires a response by April 15th, while also being on a waitlist, which may not turn into a firm offer until after April 15th? The program I'm waitlisted at is my top choice, and there's an excellent chance I'll eventually get an offer from them, but of course there are no guarantees. The program I have an offer from is a close second, and I don't want to lose that spot if the first program doesn't come through. I can't figure out how to make that work, though... any thoughts?

So how does one handle the situation of having one offer, which requires a response by April 15th, while also being on a waitlist, which may not turn into a firm offer until after April 15th? The program I'm waitlisted at is my top choice, and there's an excellent chance I'll eventually get an offer from them, but of course there are no guarantees. The program I have an offer from is a close second, and I don't want to lose that spot if the first program doesn't come through. I can't figure out how to make that work, though... any thoughts?

Well, I'm no expert but I believe if you do not hear from the waitlist school by April 15, you need to accept the offer you already have or risk not going anywhere. There is a chance that the waitlist school will admit you after April 15. But if the school you are accepted to is a close second, this shouldn't be too painful. There just has to be a deadline or this process would go on forever, the only real downside is the situation you are in. I have heard you can get out of an acceptance after April 15 by getting a written release from the school but personally I would be afraid of spoiling relations with school #1. Of course, it does happen and I believe Markp on SDN did it.

Honestly, unless the schools are close geographically or close research wise I don't think anyone will ever care that you rescinded your offer 2 days after the deadline or whatever. Even if they are that close, after the 5 years you spend in graduate school I highly doubt that anyone will remember how you ::gasp:: went to another school. Thats my 2 cents. Stuff happens and people change their minds... whats the worse case scenario here? either some dept. secretary hates you because of an extra day of calls :rolleyes: or you spend 5 years somewhere you don't want to be, and then potentially have more loans, and/or limit your career options?

The only way I might consider waiting for the wait list is if they explicitly told you there is a HUUUGGGEEE chance your getting in.

I'm very confused - I interviewed at my top choice, and then didn't hear anything for a few weeks. Assuming I had been rejected (and they had forgotten to tell me or something) I emailed my POI for an update. They emailed back saying that the process was still ongoing and that they were interested in me - but I still haven't heard anything. I thought for sure I'd hear by April 1st, but haven't. I've never been told I'm on a "waitlist" - am I, or what is going on?

I'm very confused - I interviewed at my top choice, and then didn't hear anything for a few weeks. Assuming I had been rejected (and they had forgotten to tell me or something) I emailed my POI for an update. They emailed back saying that the process was still ongoing and that they were interested in me - but I still haven't heard anything. I thought for sure I'd hear by April 1st, but haven't. I've never been told I'm on a "waitlist" - am I, or what is going on?

I too was in a state of limbo and never heard the word "waitlist" but I called when I hadn't heard anything by april 1 and all they said is that they hadn't made a decision. i wasn't accepted or declined and the advisor said thats a good thing... umm ok?

i called a week later and they asked the dept chair right there on the spot and she said i was accepted!!! just like that.

be persistent you have the right to know what's going on

FYI, I have already accepted an offer at Adelphi, but for those waiting Dr. Wong from LIU Bklyn let me know today via e-mail that I was not accepted off the wait list.

My advisor told me that Apr.15th is the deadline for students to reply to grad schools, but not for me to heard from them. I also have 4 waitinglist. I went 2 of them for interviews, and 2 without interview invitation. I wonder if the rank for alternate students without interview would be lower. :scared:

:scared:
I was told "no decision has been made yet", which I assume means waitlist. Don't they have to tell you by April 1st where you stand? Do the deadlines really mean anything anymore since so many schools seem to not follow them? Can someone please explain this to me? Thanks!