2010 Waitlist Blues?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just want to say a big thank you to Hamsterpants and the rest of the people on SND. I am an international student from Africa and i just got accepted off the wait list into my first choice school (a phd program).I declined a spot at the uni of memphis for the masters program in school psychology, so i hope that helps somebody.Good luck to those still on the wait list and congratulations to those who have been accepted.:):):)

Members don't see this ad.

I just want to say a big thank you to Hamsterpants and the rest of the people on SND. I am an international student from Africa and i just got accepted off the wait list into my first choice school (a phd program).I declined a spot at the uni of memphis for the masters program in school psychology, so i hope that helps somebody.Good luck to those still on the wait list and congratulations to those who have been accepted.:):):)

Congratulations!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just curious what happens if say your dream school calls to accept you after april 15th, after when you've already accepted another offer?

very exciting! congrats!

"Never let the odds keep you from doing what you know in your heart you were meant to do."
H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

"We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope."
Martin Luther King

"I discovered I always have choices and sometimes it's only a choice of attitude."
Judith M. Knowlton

"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
Frank A. Clark

[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]"That some good can be derived from every event is a better proposition than that everything happens for the best, which it assuredly does not."
James K. Feibleman

."Perhaps all the dragons of our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us once beautiful and brave."
Rainer Maria Rilke

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."
Victor Frankl

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone on here! I had been having a really hard time just waiting to hear back from a school I had been waitlisted at. It was such a support to know that so many other people were going through/feeling the exact same way I was about this whole process. And today... I GOT IN!!! :D:D I was offerred admission off of the waitlist which I am glady accepting. Good luck to everyone on here and I hope everything ends up working out for the best! :)

Yay!!!!!

i just wanted to say thank you to everyone on here! I had been having a really hard time just waiting to hear back from a school i had been waitlisted at. It was such a support to know that so many other people were going through/feeling the exact same way i was about this whole process. And today... I got in!!! :hungover::hungover: i was offerred admission off of the waitlist which i am glady accepting. Good luck to everyone on here and i hope everything ends up working out for the best! :)

If anyone is waiting to get off their wait list I was told their incoming class is full.

It's April 16th, but for those of you still on waitlists with no other offers, I wouldn't give up completely. Looking at gradcafe, it seems a good chunk of folks made their decisions yesterday, sometimes by the end of day. So schools may be contacting waitlisters today or even through next week.

That said, if you know it is the end of the line for you, I would let yourself regroup, maybe lick your wounds for a bit, and then do something fun or worthwhile completely unrelated to grad school. Remember all the other reasons why your life is good and other things you have accomplished or can do well. Maybe even make a list of why not going to grad school this year is a good thing. Then when you are ready, take a deep breath and decide if this is really what you want and what you are meant to do. Is there something else you want more? Should you shift the dream a little? If it is, roll up your sleeves and dive in. Make use of this board and the folks on it, real life friends and colleagues, the Insiders Guide, conferences, and the web. Do your research, realizing you are WAY ahead of the game and the first time applicants for next year. If you want this, no one can stop you. Good luck!

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never failing, but in rising every time we fail."

Nelson Mandela

I'm a multiple time applicant, and thought i was done, until i realized there was nothing else i wanted to do. so i applied yet again, and finally got an offer.
I had good grades from a respected school, very high gre scores, several publications (as first or second author), excellent recommendations, and years of research experience at prestigious insititutions...and took me years to get in.

I'm convinced the process is a complete crapshoot. Moral of the story? If you really want this, try and try again!

My major issue now is if it's useless to apply to programs who have rejected me or wait listed me this year. And does it make any sense to reapply the next year... or is it about waiting two?

My major issue now is if it's useless to apply to programs who have rejected me or wait listed me this year. And does it make any sense to reapply the next year... or is it about waiting two?

Hmmm, I guess it depends what you feel you have to do to improve your situation. If you feel there is little you can change, you just need to try your luck again or maybe you just need to retake the GRE one more time, I would consider applying next year. If say, you need more research experience and you find an RA job, you may need two years to be able to apply and to have lined up recommendation from this job (some of these jobs have a 2 year min. anyway). Also, if you are very burned out on the process, you may not be able to stomach the thought of applying next year.

I got interviews and offers at some programs where I was initially rejected. I skipped the application the following year to get 2 years of more experience. Just what I did...not for everyone :)

I think you should apply where you were waitlisted. after all, they thought you were right for the program, they just didn't have enough spots. Unless of course you are no longer interested in those programs. For where you have been rejected, it's more tricky. If there is still a good research match and you can concretely improve your app in some way, I would consider it. Maybe email your POIs and ask for feedback. But I would also add some new schools into the mix.

just got rejected from the waitlist at my #1...I figured it would be good to have some non-uplifting stories here too :p

Good advice! I went through a similar process when I was accepted to a school from the wait list -- I was happy, but I wasn't sure why I wasn't SUPER DUPER excited, y'know? So then I asked myself what about the school or area was making me hesitant... I realized that I was just nervous to move to a new state.

Sometimes it helps to see what about the schools made you want to apply to them in the first place. I'm a big fan of Pros/Cons lists, as well as the coin flip method (if your gut doesn't like the coin flip outcome, then you know its not right for you).

Good luck in your decision making! And congrats on your multiple acceptances! :)

Thanks for all your support and advice guys! I decided to go with Fairleigh Dickinson, because it made more sense. I hear what everyone was saying about not feeling thrilled about either, but this was my second time around applying, and I really don't think I would have been a much stronger candidate next year (not to mention all the money I spent!). So, if there are any fellow future FDU students, feel free to contact me!

Two Days ago I was waitlisted at my Third choice university, CUNY (Social- Personality) I was/am really bumbed out about it... I really hope I make it in off the waitlist. Sigh this process can be so discouraging! On the Upside today I got accepted into widener!

Hey flickerpsych! Congrats on getting into widener! I actually just had some random questions about that program and was hoping you could share...do you know how many ppl are accepted into widener? Also, if you dont mind sharing did you apply straight from undergrad, and how was your GPA and GRE scores? I dont need exact numbers just the ball park would help. I'm planning on applying there for the upcoming year and just wanted a general idea of where i'm falling. Thanks for all the info and I hope you got into CUNY!!