* * 2011-2012 Application Season * * Post AACOMAS Questions HERE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emno

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sent my 2nd score thru MCAT THx system to AACOMAS and it shows that they received it. But when I see my application summary or the applications sent to various DO schools, it does not show the 2nd score. It is more than a week when I submitted my 2nd score to AACOMAS.
as I had said that I am retaking MCAT in my AACOMAS application, many DO schools are puting my application on hold. Though I am fine if they make a decision on my 1st score.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to need to know this as well. Will be forwarding everyone my June 17th test score when it comes out in 10 days. Hopefully it reaches all the schools QUICK as I'm already deep into secondary territory..

does anyone know if AACOMAS obtain the "official" MCAT scores by just providing the AAMC ID on the AACOMAS application so it can release it to the schools or one needs to mail a copy of the results to them directly?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if AACOMAS obtain the "official" MCAT scores by just providing the AAMC ID on the AACOMAS application so it can release it to the schools or one needs to mail a copy of the results to them directly?

Thanks
I think you need to release your scores to AACOMAS on the MCAT THX system. AACOMAS receives your scores and sends them to the schools.

thanks for your reply :)

I entered my score on the AACOMAS manually so i guess this is unofficial but do you know if the schools have access to see the unofficial score in the meantime??????

thanks for your reply :)

I entered my score on the AACOMAS manually so i guess this is unofficial but do you know if the schools have access to see the unofficial score in the meantime??????
Well the schools don't see any of the info until AACOMAS sends them your application. Before AACOMAS sends your application they have to verify your coursework and MCAT scores. AACOMAS receives MCAT scores daily though so if you submit via THX they might even have them by later today.

Unfortunately it doesn't matter a whole lot as it takes AACOMAS some time to verify your entire application. I'm not sure what the wait is now but you may have up to a few weeks before you are verified and your application is sent to the schools you selected.

Check out the AACOMAS thread in this forum and you can probably get an idea of how long the wait is at this time. It also has a ton of info and is probably the best place for your questions.
Here is a link to the last page of the thread.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=720459&page=23

Here is some info about MCAT scores from the application instructions. These instructions were a life saver for me....
http://www.aacom.org/InfoFor/applicants/documents/instructions.pdf
Q: How do I send my official MCAT scores to AACOMAS?
A: MCAT scores must be sent electronically from MCAT in order to be considered official. You can log into your MCAT account via the MCAT Testing History (THx) System and have your scores released to AACOMAS. AACOMAS matches MCAT scores to applicants using the 8 digit MCAT/ AAMC number (generally begins with 1) and name. You must enter the MCAT/AAMC number on the MCAT page of your AACOMAS application.

Maybe I'm not answering your question correctly... Sorry if you knew all this before.

Thanks

AACOMAS doesn't obtain the official MCAT automatically. You have to log onto MCAT THx and and release it yourself. It should take roughly 2-3 days after you release it from MCAT Thx for the score(s) to appear on your AACOMAS application. Also you might want to keep a close tab on that as well. I had to release twice for AACOMAS to receive it, I don't know why but the first time I released AACOMAS never got it:confused:.

I'm gonna bump up this old topic to see if I can get some responses. I will be getting a new mcat score in a week and plan on releasing the scores to aacomas as soon as they're posted. I know I should probably email the official score report to each school I applied to as well, but I was just looking for feedback from someone who has been in this situation before. Will it be weeks before the schools update my application with the new score?

Thanks in advanced! :D

I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this as well.

When I notified most schools that I would be re-taking the MCAT, they wanted me to send the 16-digit verification code so that they can download the scores. Supposedly they can receive the official scores faster that way.

how long does it take for AACOMAS to get the score from THx? and how long will it take AACOMAS to send the scores to adcoms?

My application summary doesn't show the new score either. AACOMAS received the score 1 week ago and it shows that they have received it but its not in the application summary. That's what schools see right? What should I do?

I'm not sure if I understand this process. Unlike the AMCAS, there's no online application from the AACOM that I have to fill out, right?
I just have to fill out a FAFSA application, get the SAR, print it and send them to their offices, right?

Submit a copy of the Student Aid Report for the current year received from the Department of Education if you have completed and submitted the Free Application for Student Financial Aid (FAFSA) for aid to a previous institution

What does this bit mean? Does it mean the 2010-11 (Fall 10 - Spring 11) FAFSA application?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if I understand this process. Unlike the AMCAS, there's no online application from the AACOM that I have to fill out, right?
I just have to fill out a FAFSA application, get the SAR, print it and send them to their offices, right?

What does this bit mean? Does it mean the 2010-11 (Fall 10 - Spring 11) FAFSA application?

Yes, send in the SAR (print your name, sign, and date it) for 2010-2011. I think they want to see what your EFC is. Also, make sure to send in a self-addressed envelope with a stamp. If you don't, you won't receive news of whether or not you were granted the AACOMAS fee waiver.

You may be selected to send in supporting documents so have it ready to mail out if they do request it.

Good luck!

i just called aacomas regarding the waiver. they said that you can't send the materials in until you actually have an aacomas account setup. the earliest you can do this is when apps open up for the cycle in the first week of may

I'm so disappointed that AACOM does it different than AMCAS. I was already approved for the AMCAS FAP and it said I could apply to 14 schools for free. I thought this included Osteopathic schools. I had no idea there was a separate process for AACOM, and it's up to the school as to whether they pay for it or not. That doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm so disappointed that AACOM does it different than AMCAS. I was already approved for the AMCAS FAP and it said I could apply to 14 schools for free. I thought this included Osteopathic schools. I had no idea there was a separate process for AACOM, and it's up to the school as to whether they pay for it or not. That doesn't make much sense to me.

To clarify:

The AMCAS FAP covers the application fee for 14 schools, the schools then decide if you pay for secondaries or not, it is up to the school.

The AACOM program covers the application to I believe 7 schools, and then it is still up to the schools if they waive their secondary fees.

The new season is starting. I know, hard to believe. Post all AACOMAS questions here. New threads will be merged into this one for the season. You may find perusing last year's thread helpful as few questions actually change year to year.

Good luck everyone.

I'm sure I will be frequenting this thread in the near future haha

when/where do we send our official undergrad transcripts??

when/where do we send our official undergrad transcripts??

All transcripts must be sent to AACOMAS. The address is listed in the instructions to applicants. If you haven't already, be sure to read it over because it will answer 99% of your questions :)

If you're not currently in school or taking classes, you should request your transcripts as soon as AACOMAS opens. If you're currently in school, you should wait until your final grades and/or degree is posted before sending the transcripts (according to the application instructions).

PCOM in Philly is my #1 choice. How about everyone else?

Somewhere on the west coast preferably :)

It was pretty amazing to see how some people quickly changed their first choice after interviewing at different schools. Is everyone done with their personal statement/MCAT?

No and no haha. Taking the MCAT this Friday though, so I should get the results right when I can submit.

No and no haha. Taking the MCAT this Friday though, so I should get the results right when I can submit.

:luck::luck:

Btw has anyone submitted the Fee waiver yet? Or is it too early??

All transcripts must be sent to AACOMAS. The address is listed in the instructions to applicants. If you haven't already, be sure to read it over because it will answer 99% of your questions :)

If you're not currently in school or taking classes, you should request your transcripts as soon as AACOMAS opens. If you're currently in school, you should wait until your final grades and/or degree is posted before sending the transcripts (according to the application instructions).
if my final grades aren't out till mid-june does that mean my application won't be processed until the transcript reaches even if i file on june 1st??

if my final grades aren't out till mid-june does that mean my application won't be processed until the transcript reaches even if i file on june 1st??

I don't think they will verify you until the last transcript is in for the Spring semester :( It sucks but in reality if everything else is in and you're just waiting on the transcript you will still be verified early.

Correct. However, you can go ahead and request that your transcript be mailed to AACOMAS but indicate you don't want the registrar to send it until your spring grades are posted. Even though my undergrad registrar said final grades and degrees would not be posted on the transcript until mid-June, it turns out it was all done within a week of my graduation and, because I had the request submitted, the transcript arrived 2 weeks earlier than I anticipated.

Although your AACOMAS app might not be verified until early July, if you can aim for a 1-2 week turnaround on secondary applications (some secondaries are very short, others are more labor intensive) and make sure all your LORs are in order, you'll still be in good shape for an early application.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this... if it isn't, I'm sorry.

I had a friend tell me that if I submitted only primaries last year, I shouldn't put down re-app on AACOMAS since I was never complete. I always thought it was the other way around, I am considered a re-app right? I just figured since it's in the system that I applied before it would automatically make me a reapplicant.

:luck::luck:

Btw has anyone submitted the Fee waiver yet? Or is it too early??

Not yet. According to the AACOMAS website you should begin filling out your application before submitting the fee waiver. So, I'll be sending it in the first week of May.

what schools is everyone applying to?

My top two schools I'd like to get in are definitely CCOM and then western. Those would be a dream come true. Of course, I'd be happy being accepted into any.

Somewhere on the west coast preferably :)

It was pretty amazing to see how some people quickly changed their first choice after interviewing at different schools. Is everyone done with their personal statement/MCAT?

Working on the PS and physician LOR as we speak.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this... if it isn't, I'm sorry.

I had a friend tell me that if I submitted only primaries last year, I shouldn't put down re-app on AACOMAS since I was never complete. I always thought it was the other way around, I am considered a re-app right? I just figured since it's in the system that I applied before it would automatically make me a reapplicant.
On a related note, how bad does it look if you're a re-applicant? Assuming you've done all the necessary things to bolster your app in the previous year, is it going to hinder your chances?

My top two schools I'd like to get in are definitely CCOM and then western. Those would be a dream come true. Of course, I'd be happy being accepted into any.

Working on the PS and physician LOR as we speak.

Haha I was wondering what wpeking was and then I looked at the keyboard :)

Haha I was wondering what wpeking was and then I looked at the keyboard :)

Yeah, I was at the DMV then my number got called while I was typing so I quickly responded. Virtual keyboards :rolleyes:

On a related note, how bad does it look if you're a re-applicant? Assuming you've done all the necessary things to bolster your app in the previous year, is it going to hinder your chances?

I'm curious about how admissions committees "officially" view reapplicants as well. When I interviewed at LECOM and Drexel, there were very few first-time applicants that I spoke with. With the exception of some stellar students, many current med students across many institutions applied twice.

I believe there is a push to have fewer people straight out of college and more people with real clinical experience.

Statistically, my application wasn't much improved from 2008 to 2010 (slightly lower GPA, slightly higher MCAT), but I added the two years of clinical work and had a lot to base my PS and interviews on.

I am a junior in college going for BS Biology. When I did the worksheet to figure AAMOS gpa it showed I have 3.45 cgpa and 3.69 sgpa. I still have more upper level sciences to take as well which I expect to do well in. I have shadowed an MD and plan on shadowing a DO this summer enough to get a LOR from him. I have not taken the MCATs but think I will get around 30-35 (thats my aim). However my problem is I am married and have supported my family thru school by working full-time which means next to no volunteering/research/etc. I work as a CNA on surgical floor so I can get a LOR from my supervisor showing I have great patient care and lots of patient contact. I want to volunteer but how can I when I have to work all the time?! How badly will this reflect?? Should I hold off a year of applying and try to do more? Im thinking of applying this Sept-ish after taking MCATS in July. What do you think? Thnaks.

I am a junior in college going for BS Biology. When I did the worksheet to figure AAMOS gpa it showed I have 3.45 cgpa and 3.69 sgpa. I still have more upper level sciences to take as well which I expect to do well in. I have shadowed an MD and plan on shadowing a DO this summer enough to get a LOR from him. I have not taken the MCATs but think I will get around 30-35 (thats my aim). However my problem is I am married and have supported my family thru school by working full-time which means next to no volunteering/research/etc. I work as a CNA on surgical floor so I can get a LOR from my supervisor showing I have great patient care and lots of patient contact. I want to volunteer but how can I when I have to work all the time?! How badly will this reflect?? Should I hold off a year of applying and try to do more? Im thinking of applying this Sept-ish after taking MCATS in July. What do you think? Thnaks.

Dude you need to relax. You'll be fine. If you say you didn't have time for volunteering because you were a CNA on a surgical floor, you're already light years ahead of the competition. Your gpa is solid and provided you don't completely **** up your MCAT you're going to get in.

Don't be a douche in interviews and you'll be a doctor in a few years. Best of luck.

You should be fine since you've worked in a clinical role. I was asked about volunteering leadership at one interview, but that might've just been because I listed it as an EC. But I also had a significantly worse GPA and am at the bottom of your MCAT goal range (though if you haven't taken it, I'm not sure where you're getting those numbers from). Don't put off applying for a year. Also, submit your application prior to taking the MCAT, so everything's verified and they just have to wait for the MCAT score, rather than you waiting for the results then having them verify it, which would delay you a month or more.

And I'd consider forgetting about getting a LOR from your supervisor. If you've already done the two science professors, one non-science, and a physician, it just seems like too much.

See if you can get a little volunteering if you can, but don't stress over it, and don't let it hurt your GPA or MCAT.

I forgot to add I do have about 150 hours of volunteering at our church which I am a strong member. Do you show proof of volunteering somehow like with a letter from someone or just say you did it? Dont really know how that works. Thanks for the votes of confidence tho!

You're fine then. No need for a letter from someone from your church. On your application, you'll just list the activity, and give the name of a contact person, if I remember correctly. Not that they'll actually check it out, of course.

With AACOMAS opening up right around the corner, just had a question regarding the submission of EC's.

How far back should we go with our EC's? I'm assuming that its safe to say anything within our Undergrad years should be enough, but I just wanted a second opinion.
Thanks!

Just a random question.

Does AACOM call each undergraduate school to verify our transcripts? Seeing that roughly thousands of people apply, it would seem like one hell of a task. Might explain why they take so long to verify transcripts?

Just a random question.

Does AACOM call each undergraduate school to verify our transcripts? Seeing that roughly thousands of people apply, it would seem like one hell of a task. Might explain why they take so long to verify transcripts?

I don't think they call the schools to do this. I think they compare what you submitted on your aacomas to the official transcripts you also sent them.

I don't think they call the schools to do this. I think they compare what you submitted on your aacomas to the official transcripts you also sent them.

^^This

It takes a while to do that...especially when you have applicants like me with 6 transcripts :)

Yea, just include things from UG. Dont put anything from high school