* * 2011-2012 Application Season * * Post AACOMAS Questions HERE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's called Drug Education:

Interpretation of multidimensional (social, psychological and physiological) scientific data regarding drugs. The major drug categories will be covered with special emphasis on substance misuse and abuse.

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, unless it is offered through the bio dept.

I heard that with retakes the units have to be the same. However, the class I need to retake was a 5 unit class at my school and when I graduate in June, there is NO WAY I can retake it there. I looked at all the schools around me and I can only find the class at a few schools (2-3) and even then it's only 4 units...any advice? I'm retaking this class for DO schools so thats why i'm worried about units.
I took the 5 unit class at a UC so it was quarter hours...most likely I'd be taking it at a semester school where it's 4 units. I can check and see if UCI has it in which case it'd be 4 unit quarter hours.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a list of all the classes that are considered science classes for Osteopathic schools?

I was wondering if you guys know what it means to apply early? my gpa is only that of a 3.2 and I have not yet taken MCAT, currently a junior. What month am i suppose to apply. For MD, it is around June but is that the only month that I could also apply for DO?

This year, AACOMAS opens on May 5th and you can submit beginning June 1st.

Like AMCAS, you can submit an AACOMAS app at any time (until the application closes). However, you should apply as early as possible since most MD and DO programs use a rolling admission process.

Ok thanks! I can access that, so all the classes listed as science or other science, i.e. Kinesiology are caclulated into your GPA?

Is is based on department listing for my undergrad university?

I.E. KINE - 232 Athletic Injury Management would be conisdered a science class in the science GPA?

Ok thanks! I can access that, so all the classes listed as science or other science, i.e. Kinesiology are caclulated into your GPA?

Is is based on department listing for my undergrad university?

I.E. KINE - 232 Athletic Injury Management would be conisdered a science class in the science GPA?

I would use your department listings when listing/classifying your coursework. For courses not listed in the AACOMAS instructions, use your best judgment. The person who reviews your transcripts will make any changes, if necessary.

AACOMAS calculates a science and non-science GPA for each year of school. All science courses (incl. your kinesiology class) will be in your science GPA. You will also see GPAs for bio/zoology, inorg. chem, org. chem, biochem, physics, english, behavioral science, math, other science and other non-science.

Ok,
I am not sure how this all works, I hear people saying I should enter everything, submit everything and then I'm lost... do I submit before I have my MCAT score? Or do I submit the day I am told my score? How does this work... sorry to seem dumb, but I want (ok NEEEEEED) my app in as early as possible. I know I will have to submit my LORs in the secondary process, so that's not an issue with interfolio... Any pointers would be appreciated... Just want to have the absolute best chance possible...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok,
I am not sure how this all works, I hear people saying I should enter everything, submit everything and then I'm lost... do I submit before I have my MCAT score? Or do I submit the day I am told my score? How does this work... sorry to seem dumb, but I want (ok NEEEEEED) my app in as early as possible. I know I will have to submit my LORs in the secondary process, so that's not an issue with interfolio... Any pointers would be appreciated... Just want to have the absolute best chance possible...

Thanks!

yes, u submit before u get your mcat scores. the same way you can submit before your transcripts are actually verified.

I just learned about the AACOMAS class retake/grade replacement policy. I am planning on taking some general science courses such as gen chem and organic chem. I was wondering if it is better to retake the courses at a university vs a community college? I would like to retake my courses at a community college because they have a more flexible schedule with their classes and it is cheaper. The flexible schedule would allow me to continue to work as an ER medical scribe while retaking my courses. Any opinions? Thanks!

Check with the schools you're applying to, but of course, taking them at a university is ideal.

I just learned about the AACOMAS class retake/grade replacement policy. I am planning on taking some general science courses such as gen chem and organic chem. I was wondering if it is better to retake the courses at a university vs a community college? I would like to retake my courses at a community college because they have a more flexible schedule with their classes and it is cheaper. The flexible schedule would allow me to continue to work as an ER medical scribe while retaking my courses. Any opinions? Thanks!

Did you take them at a CC initially?
Even if you didn't - I think you have a reasonable answer if the question comes up in an interview.

I originally took my classes at a university. I don't want adcoms thinking I'm ducking out of taking science courses at a university but going to a CC would just be easier for my job and less expensive. I did contact one of the schools I wanted to apply to and they said retaking my courses at a university would be better.

I took gen chem at a uni and retook at a CC and when I talked to my dream school, they really looked down on it. Because of their comments I am not doing it and would never advise someone to do it. CC credits are often considered less rigorous so to retake them class there makes it look like you can't handle the rigor.

But don't take it from me. Listen to the school you talked to.

If at all possible, you always want to take (at least) the big 8 (chem, bio, ochem, phys) at a university. other classes it doesnt matter as much. You may not be trying to duck out for the difficulty and expense but they will likely assume you are.

I think it really depends on where you plan to apply. If you are applying to allopathic schools, it would likely be more important to have these done at a University. Case Western's web site states that they believe CC classes are inadequate and those applicants are discouraged from applying. If you are applying to DO schools than I think you will have an easier time. I took all of my undergrad sciences at a community college and was accepted to several DO schools. They never asked my any questions about this. And frankly, with the cost of education, I think it's rude on their part to fault someone for going CC to save money to learn the exact same content.

That being said. Remember that not all CC's are created equally. You could truly be disadvantaged if you end up in a class with highly UNmotivated students. This happened to me in physics and the professor had to slow the pace of the class and I had to teach myself a lot of material. This wasn't a big deal and if you can't teach yourself some extra material, I'm not sure you'll hack it in medical school.

In the end, as long as your MCAT scores show a strong understanding of the basic sciences, you'll be OK, at least for osteopathic schools IMHO.

Good luck!

I think it really depends on where you plan to apply. If you are applying to allopathic schools, it would likely be more important to have these done at a University. Case Western's web site states that they believe CC classes are inadequate and those applicants are discouraged from applying. If you are applying to DO schools than I think you will have an easier time. I took all of my undergrad sciences at a community college and was accepted to several DO schools. They never asked my any questions about this. And frankly, with the cost of education, I think it's rude on their part to fault someone for going CC to save money to learn the exact same content.

That being said. Remember that not all CC's are created equally. You could truly be disadvantaged if you end up in a class with highly UNmotivated students. This happened to me in physics and the professor had to slow the pace of the class and I had to teach myself a lot of material. This wasn't a big deal and if you can't teach yourself some extra material, I'm not sure you'll hack it in medical school.

In the end, as long as your MCAT scores show a strong understanding of the basic sciences, you'll be OK, at least for osteopathic schools IMHO.

Good luck!

Just to appease my curiosity can you tell me where you plan on attending/attend medical school? What DO schools did you interview at?

Bballer, did you mean how many different class retakes, or how many retakes of the same class.

This depends on too many factors. If you are retaking 10 classes from 10 years ago, it's fine. If you are retaking 4 because you got all C last semester, you've screwed yourself over.

Prioritize when you retake:

1. Retake C+ or below for any pre-req.
2. Retake any C- or lower for any non-prereq
3. Retake a B- if its a prereq.
4. Retake a B- if not a prereq.
5. Retake B's or B+'s if you're sure you can get an A/A- AND its because your sGPA is below 3.4.

Retakes at CC are fine per numerous ADCOMS I have talked to.

That being said, get a 28+ on your MCAT for a good shot at DO school if you retake courses. Also another bit of advice from a few ADCOMS.

I would actually contact med schools and ask them, but most of the schools that I've asked (MD and DO) have said that it doesn't really matter, especially if you're non-trad. Those that said it mattered made it clear that it wasn't a large factor, anyways.

If I have the intention of applying at the earliest possible. Should I be taking my MCATs before May? When is the best time to take it if you want to apply early?

If I have the intention of applying at the earliest possible. Should I be taking my MCATs before May? When is the best time to take it if you want to apply early?

If time were no issue, I'd say take the Jan test, then if you need to retake, you can still retake in April, and have a score by May...

Wait a sec.... This is a quote from a link given above: "Science GPAs include Biology/Zoology, Biochemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Other Science, and Physics. Non-science GPAs include Behavioral Science, English, Math, and Other Non-science."

So Math is not included in our science GPA? Did I just fall off the milk wagon or is this different than the AMCAS (for MD schools) science-gpa requirements? I did well in accelerated calculus, so this is kind of a bummer. Any clarification here?

I partially ask because one of my science LORs was written by my accelerated calculus professor. He was the only science professor who I could get to do it who hasn't moved, said they were too busy, etc. Will this still count?

Also, under "other science" it lists "physical anthropology" as a course. Would "medical anthropology," or "human osteology" (taken under anthropology department) count? The latter was the anatomy of the bones/molars in the human body. We basically learned every bone/molar/foramen/nook and cranny in bones of the body. Any guidance on what my "personal judgement" for these courses should be regarding them counting in my science GPA? Thanks!

Last edited:
Not yet. According to the AACOMAS website you should begin filling out your application before submitting the fee waiver. So, I'll be sending it in the first week of May.
Concerning the fee waiver...

I didnt fill out the FAFSA for 2010 -2011. The directions say to contact US dept. Of Ed. In this case. Has anyone done this?

I have a 2009- 2010 fafsa but I don't think that would work...

Last edited:
So I planned on retaking both Bio 1 and Bio 2 (I made C's in both) over the summer and if I do well in the courses it will take my AACOMAS science GPA from a 3.2 (now) to a 3.52. Now obviously this makes the courses worth re-taking, however I will not have the grades back from them until the end of July/beginning of August. At this point, I will not be able to update AACOMAS (from my understanding) with the grade update, but rather will have to update each school I apply to individually about the update.

Is this worth it? I'm not sure how much weight this "update" in my grades is given. Does this make sense? I don't mind re-taking the classes b/c I am convinced I can do well in them, but at the same time I don't want to waste the time/money if it does not really matter.

Also, one last question. I did poorly on my MCAT the first time I took it (2 years ago), and am applying this June 1st. I am taking the MCAT again (and plan to do much better) May 20th, and will therefore not have the scores until the end of June. Will I be denied interviews to these med schools b/c of my poor previous MCAT, or will they wait to see my new MCAT score before making their decision? I just don't want to recieve rejections before my new MCAT scores come out. Thanks!

If i take a 4 unit class , is there NO way it'll count and replace the grade? Or does that policy only matter at certain DO schools?

I cannot answer your MCAT question, but with a 3.2 and, as you call it, a "low" MCAT score, I think it would be foolish not to re-take your classes. A 3.2 to above a 3.5 is great if you can nail As in both courses. Of course since you didn't provide much else about your AACOMAS I'm not sure how it will affect your application as a whole, but the classes are definitely worth it.

Aren't secondary apps only sent out in late July to mid August? I don't think you should be worried about interviews much less secondaries.

Can classes from Psych, or any other department, that are cross-listed as Biology be listed under science classes?

Wait a sec.... This is a quote from a link given above: "Science GPAs include Biology/Zoology, Biochemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Other Science, and Physics. Non-science GPAs include Behavioral Science, English, Math, and Other Non-science."

So Math is not included in our science GPA? Did I just fall off the milk wagon or is this different than the AMCAS (for MD schools) science-gpa requirements? I did well in accelerated calculus, so this is kind of a bummer. Any clarification here?

I partially ask because one of my science LORs was written by my accelerated calculus professor. He was the only science professor who I could get to do it who hasn't moved, said they were too busy, etc. Will this still count?

Also, under "other science" it lists "physical anthropology" as a course. Would "medical anthropology," or "human osteology" (taken under anthropology department) count? The latter was the anatomy of the bones/molars in the human body. We basically learned every bone/molar/foramen/nook and cranny in bones of the body. Any guidance on what my "personal judgement" for these courses should be regarding them counting in my science GPA? Thanks!

yup math is not included in the aacomas scigpa calculations. not sure if the math LOR would count as science. it probably would though it would be best to contact some schools for more info.

Can classes from Psych, or any other department, that are cross-listed as Biology be listed under science classes?

general rule is that department does NOT matter. course classifications are based on content, course name/title....so basically, you decide whats what. if the app reviewers have a problem they will let you know.

ex. intro psych won't count but abnormal psych does since it deals with neuroscience

One DO admissions adviser at an upper tier DO school said that 5 or more recent retakes would usually be a red flag, and old (>7 yrs) low non-science related grades aren't a big deal if recent science grades are good, so don't bother retaking a bunch of them (C+ in Econ, B- in History etc.) Also, if you're retaking, get an A and retake any Ds or Fs.

Is it 4 semester hours? because I think each semester hour is 1.5 quarter hours.

Also I think it depends on the school. Some schools will average the 2 grades.

Aka if you got a 2.0 C and then retake it and get a 4.0 A itll be a 3.0 B.

But either way I am fairly certain they will see both grades.

Retake the Bio classes and get As, this will take you from the ~29th to the ~64th percentile for matriculating applicants on your sGPA.

Is it 4 semester hours? because I think each semester hour is 1.5 quarter hours.

Also I think it depends on the school. Some schools will average the 2 grades.

Aka if you got a 2.0 C and then retake it and get a 4.0 A itll be a 3.0 B.

But either way I am fairly certain they will see both grades.

oh okay, thanks! Yeah the cal states it's 4 units (they're on a semester system...so I'm assuming that's semester hours?) and at UCI it's 4 units (they're on a quarter system). I got a D in a 5 unit class (I was stubborn and thought I could handle it with full time work and some other issues...BIG MISTAKE) so I NEED TO RETAKE IT. :/

So when can we officially submit AACOMAS? I have heard June 1, but I've read forums with people saying they submitted right away. So can we submit in May?

So when can we officially submit AACOMAS? I have heard June 1, but I've read forums with people saying they submitted right away. So can we submit in May?

From what I remember of last year, you could only submit starting June 1st. There were people who got verified before they submitted though, that was awesome hopefully that happens again this yr :xf:

general rule is that department does NOT matter. course classifications are based on content, course name/title....so basically, you decide whats what. if the app reviewers have a problem they will let you know.

ex. intro psych won't count but abnormal psych does since it deals with neuroscience

Ok this is breaking news to me. I was a neuroscience in college and have a lot of classes that were straight up neuroanatomy but fall under the psych department. Is a course description sent along with our transcripts???

Yeah I've never heard of any Psych classes counting as a science... if so though that's cool

I guess this is our year. I can't believe that it's already here, though.

Good luck everyone! Looks like I'll be frequenting this thread alot this summer.

:luck::luck:

This might be a dumb question, but do you guys think this class could be counted as a science class?

PHY (physics) 104- Intro to Digital Photography
Much of the emphasis in the class was put on the physics of optics, waves of light, and electricity- specifically of the camera. The class title makes it seem like just a photography class, but really it was mostly physics and was taught by a physics professor (hence the PHY prefix)

This might be a dumb question, but do you guys think this class could be counted as a science class?

PHY (physics) 104- Intro to Digital Photography
Much of the emphasis in the class was put on the physics of optics, waves of light, and electricity- specifically of the camera. The class title makes it seem like just a photography class, but really it was mostly physics and was taught by a physics professor (hence the PHY prefix)
Sounds like a Science class to me.:thumbup:

How will they verify if it is? Can I just click that it is a science class? Or can I type a description about it?