2011-2012 University of South Carolina Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:thumbup:
Congratulations everyone on the acceptances! I just recently graduated from USC, and I can honestly say that I'm 100% happy with my education. I had a great time and wouldn't change it for the world. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to help -- just PM me. Side note, I'll also be renting out my house about 15 minutes from the school if anyone is interested.

Members don't see this ad.

FYI there has already been some waitlist movement at this point. A person I know who also applied was accepted yesterday. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone on the waitlist heard any news yet??
Yes, I got a phone call last week that I was accepted from the waitlist. I was on the out of state waitlist though, so I am not sure about the in state one.

Not sure yet, somewhere close though - maybe hampton green/ farms?
I'd stay away from Hampton Greene if you can help it IMHO. Management is horrible, and quite a few of my classmates have had serious issues with them, myself included. Hampton Courts has a better track record if that's the area you want.

I'd stay away from Hampton Greene if you can help it IMHO. Management is horrible, and quite a few of my classmates have had serious issues with them, myself included. Hampton Courts has a better track record if that's the area you want.

Thanks, good to know. Also, has anyone heard anything about orientation/stuff we need to do this summer. I feel like the school hasn't told us much yet, although maybe i just need to wait?

Thanks, good to know. Also, has anyone heard anything about orientation/stuff we need to do this summer. I feel like the school hasn't told us much yet, although maybe i just need to wait?
I just got an e-mail today with the information about the Histology class. Check your inbox just in case. Oh and we are supposed to hear about our MII mentors by next week.

I just gave up my spot in the class - good luck to those on the waitlist! (OOS male)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey does anyone know how to get student tickets for football since they haven't given us an email address yet?

How long did it take for USC to get your FAFSA and start the financial aid process? I submitted and was sent an email saying my info was sent to USC last Friday. Thanks!

Hey does anyone know how to get student tickets for football since they haven't given us an email address yet?

So actually, they have given us an email address. I just kind of randomly found out. If you log into VIP - there is a section thats called personal - and it tells you your email and stuff.

Also, how do you sign up for tickets? I didn't go to USC, so i'm not sure of that process, but i do want tickets.

So actually, they have given us an email address. I just kind of randomly found out. If you log into VIP - there is a section thats called personal - and it tells you your email and stuff.

Also, how do you sign up for tickets? I didn't go to USC, so i'm not sure of that process, but i do want tickets.

I just checked that. It still shows my old e-mail from undergrad. :(

Hi Everyone,
I am starting at USC SOM this year and am looking for a roommate. I am 25, female and have a dog who will be living with me. If you are interested in looking for a place or need someone for your current place send me a message.
Thanks, and see you all in a few weeks!
-Andrea

I just checked that. It still shows my old e-mail from undergrad. :(

Yeah, mine also says the same email from undergrad classes. I think to get tickets you have to go to gamecock athletic site, then go under the tickets tab, and then to student tickets. But I'm having a hard time logging on because I think the system still has me registered as an undergrad. Also, you have to pay an optional fee in your VIP, which it isn't letting me do either.

How long did it take for USC to get your FAFSA and start the financial aid process? I submitted and was sent an email saying my info was sent to USC last Friday. Thanks!
It should be pretty quick by now since they were supposed to update new awards on the 1st of June. My awards started appearing 5-7 days after the info was received by USC. Check the status at VIP, and if there is nothing posted you can always e-mail the financial aid office. They usually get back to you the next day. AID USCFAID <[email protected]> :D

It should be pretty quick by now since they were supposed to update new awards on the 1st of June. My awards started appearing 5-7 days after the info was received by USC. Check the status at VIP, and if there is nothing posted you can always e-mail the financial aid office. They usually get back to you the next day. AID USCFAID <[email protected]> :D

'Preesh.

I know that's so annoying, but I just had to type it out :)

Has anyone received an email regarding MII mentor?

Just letting you guys know that tomorrow we should hear news about the updated booklist and sometime next week the fees should be up on the website. :D

Just letting you guys know that tomorrow we should hear news about the updated booklist and sometime next week the fees should be up on the website. :D

Thanks for the update! I've been waiting for some changes on the website.

Well, according to the email that I got from Jamie this is how the booklist looks like so far, even though they will add more books to it as professors give them the information:
- the anatomy book stays the same (6th edition, Moore),
-embryo book same (6th ed, Moore),
-We also need to buy the Online Guided Gross anatomy dissector (link will be in the e-mail he sends out)
-Biochem:
Mark's Basic Medical Biochemistry, 4th edition, Leiberman, Marks, Peet.
-Introduction to Clinical Medicine I:
Synopsis of Psychiatry: Behavioral Sciences/Clinical Psychiatry, 10th edition, Kaplan, H. and Sadock, B.J.

Hopefully, we'll hear about the rest soon. :) TTYL!

Well, according to the email that I got from Jamie this is how the booklist looks like so far, even though they will add more books to it as professors give them the information:
-We also need to buy the Online Guided Gross anatomy dissector (link will be in the e-mail he sends out)
-Biochem:
Synopsis of Psychiatry: Behavioral Sciences/Clinical Psychiatry, 10th edition, Kaplan, H. and Sadock, B.J.

Thanks.

-Biochem:

Where did you hear about this one?

-Biochem:

Don't waste your money buying that biochem book. I don't know a single person that actually used it last year. All of the material on the biochem tests is covered thoroughly in the lecture notes.

Don't waste your money buying that biochem book. I don't know a single person that actually used it last year. All of the material on the biochem tests is covered thoroughly in the lecture notes.

Would you recommend Lippincott's to use alongside lecture material? A lot of users on this site rave about that book. Thanks!

I did not use any material other than the lecture powerpoints/notes, and I made an A. I have also heard good things about Lippincott's, so it would probably be a good resource to use for the shelf exam at the end of the year and to have as a reference.

Also, BRS Gross Anatomy is not on the book list, but you NEED to get that book. My grades improved dramatically after I got it, and almost everyone ended up using it by the end of the semester. The chapter review questions are very similar to the written exam.

I did not use any material other than the lecture powerpoints/notes, and I made an A. I have also heard good things about Lippincott's, so it would probably be a good resource to use for the shelf exam at the end of the year and to have as a reference.

Also, BRS Gross Anatomy is not on the book list, but you NEED to get that book. My grades improved dramatically after I got it, and almost everyone ended up using it by the end of the semester. The chapter review questions are very similar to the written exam.
What edition of the BRS Gross Anatomy book?

Hello all,

Does anyone know if white coat ceremony is during the first year or later on?

I had the newest edition of BRS (7th I think). I don't know if the older editions are similar or not, but it's not a very expensive book anyway.

The white coat ceremony is during second year.

I had the newest edition of BRS (7th I think). I don't know if the older editions are similar or not, but it's not a very expensive book anyway.

The white coat ceremony is during second year.

Thank you. :)

Memorize slides or broad understanding of course material for great grades?

Does anyone know when we will find out what our reading assignment is from Gross Anatomy?

Does anyone know when we will find out what our reading assignment is from Gross Anatomy?
Ehhh, there is one that's been posted for a while:

-Introductory chapter of 'Clinical Oriented Anatomy'
-first chapter of 'The Developing Human'
-Chapter in 'Online Dissector entitled "Back"
-The terms in Latin

and for ICM we have the essay that's due on the 27th.

Ehhh, there is one that's been posted for a while:

-Introductory chapter of 'Clinical Oriented Anatomy'
-first chapter of 'The Developing Human'
-Chapter in 'Online Dissector entitled "Back"
-The terms in Latin

and for ICM we have the essay that's due on the 27th.

I saw it was for the Class of 2015, I didn't know if we have anything different for our year. Thanks!

I saw it was for the Class of 2015, I didn't know if we have anything different for our year. Thanks!
Shelley sent an email with those assignments a while ago. Did you get it? And just remember the essay is due by the 27th. If you didn't get the emails I can forward them to you if you want. Just let me know. Oh and also remember to get the JPEGs for the micro anatomy class. You can get them at the IT office on the medical campus if I'm not mistaken. :)

Shelley sent an email with those assignments a while ago. Did you get it? And just remember the essay is due by the 27th. If you didn't get the emails I can forward them to you if you want. Just let me know. Oh and also remember to get the JPEGs for the micro anatomy class. You can get them at the IT office on the medical campus if I'm not mistaken. :)

I did, thanks! I just feel like a goofball for worrying about the GA summer assignment haha. I don't even have those books, I plan on using different materials. I guess I'll check them out at the library in a week or two. Thanks again! I'm kind of ready to start---after vacationing for almost two months I guess I should be :)

I did, thanks! I just feel like a goofball for worrying about the GA summer assignment haha. I don't even have those books, I plan on using different materials. I guess I'll check them out at the library in a week or two. Thanks again! I'm kind of ready to start---after vacationing for almost two months I guess I should be :)
Not a problem, and believe me you are not the only concerned about that :) . There is a group on Facebook for the class of 2016 and a couple of guys there said they had the books in an online format. Not e-books, but apparently the PDF files or something. So, you might want to check it out, in case you want to start reading. They said they could pass them on to anyone interested. Too late for me! I already got them. Oh well! I guess I'll see you guys in a few weeks :D

Who is Jamie? I think I should be getting emails from them but I haven't. Shelley and the admissions staff know my e-mail address-is there someone else I should have been communicating with? Thanks!

Who is Jamie? I think I should be getting emails from them but I haven't. Shelley and the admissions staff know my e-mail address-is there someone else I should have been communicating with? Thanks!
Jamie Van Zetten, he's the person in charge of the Orientation week and your main point of contact for most student activities. His email is [email protected].
He just sent an email with the schedule for orientation week and other important info:

"Hi All,

Sorry for the confusion with Dr. Kenney's e-mail. Here is the updated link to the schedule for orientation: http://studentservices.med.sc.edu/orient 2016 072412.pdf Please note that this is still a tentative schedule, and may be subject to change. You will get your group assignments the day of orientation. Below are a few reminders from our office regarding orientation week:
· If you haven't already submitted your Scavenger Hunt form, please do so as soon as possible. Dr. Thornhill reviews these before orientation and needs them as soon as possible.
· I have attached a map as to where you should park during orientation. You will be getting your parking decal during orientation, you do not need to purchase a parking space through the university. You are provided a spot that is included in your tuition at the medical school. If you wish to purchase a spot on the main campus, you can do so through VIP.
· The insurance waiver system should be updating regularly now. If you have waived online, it should take about 48 hours for that information to come off your bill.
· If you have any sort of dietary restrictions (allergies, etc.) please let me know as soon as possible. We keep a list of these and try our best to accommodate for allergies and certain requests. While we do our best to accommodate, please note that we cannot guarantee a meal if restrictions are too strict based on the vendor that is providing the meal, we will notify you in advance if that is the case.
· You will need to bring a check the first day of orientation to purchase your BLS book from Medical Education for $12. You will need to bring this book to your BLS class along with the pretest that is both posted on the website as well as included in your folder.
· As Dr. Kenney mentioned, you can get your composite picture taken in our office. Just remember that this is the composite that we keep posted outside our office for the years you're in school. When entering your fourth year, you'll get a professional composite taken. If you can't make it in, we have set aside before the advisor/advisee dinner to take pictures as well.
· Various student organizations will be putting on the Book, Scrub and Binder sale during orientation as well. If you'd like to purchase any of these things, please be sure to bring your checkbooks and/or cash for the items.

Also, please note that I will be out next Monday and Tuesday, I will be checking e-mail and calls will be forwarded to my cell, but there may be some delay in getting back to you. If you have any questions at all regarding or orientation or the start of the year, please let me know!

Best,
Jamie"

Jamie Van Zetten, he's the person in charge of the Orientation week and your main point of contact for most student activities. His email is [email protected].
He just sent an email with the schedule for orientation week and other important info:

"Hi All,

Sorry for the confusion with Dr. Kenney’s e-mail. Here is the updated link to the schedule for orientation: http://studentservices.med.sc.edu/orient 2016 072412.pdf Please note that this is still a tentative schedule, and may be subject to change. You will get your group assignments the day of orientation. Below are a few reminders from our office regarding orientation week:
· If you haven’t already submitted your Scavenger Hunt form, please do so as soon as possible. Dr. Thornhill reviews these before orientation and needs them as soon as possible.
· I have attached a map as to where you should park during orientation. You will be getting your parking decal during orientation, you do not need to purchase a parking space through the university. You are provided a spot that is included in your tuition at the medical school. If you wish to purchase a spot on the main campus, you can do so through VIP.
· The insurance waiver system should be updating regularly now. If you have waived online, it should take about 48 hours for that information to come off your bill.
· If you have any sort of dietary restrictions (allergies, etc.) please let me know as soon as possible. We keep a list of these and try our best to accommodate for allergies and certain requests. While we do our best to accommodate, please note that we cannot guarantee a meal if restrictions are too strict based on the vendor that is providing the meal, we will notify you in advance if that is the case.
· You will need to bring a check the first day of orientation to purchase your BLS book from Medical Education for $12. You will need to bring this book to your BLS class along with the pretest that is both posted on the website as well as included in your folder.
· As Dr. Kenney mentioned, you can get your composite picture taken in our office. Just remember that this is the composite that we keep posted outside our office for the years you’re in school. When entering your fourth year, you’ll get a professional composite taken. If you can’t make it in, we have set aside before the advisor/advisee dinner to take pictures as well.
· Various student organizations will be putting on the Book, Scrub and Binder sale during orientation as well. If you’d like to purchase any of these things, please be sure to bring your checkbooks and/or cash for the items.

Also, please note that I will be out next Monday and Tuesday, I will be checking e-mail and calls will be forwarded to my cell, but there may be some delay in getting back to you. If you have any questions at all regarding or orientation or the start of the year, please let me know!

Best,
Jamie"

Dude...thanks! I must have slipped under the radar. Did he send anything else these past few months I should be aware of? If so I will PM you my email address if you would like to forward me anything he sent. Thanks again!

Dude...thanks! I must have slipped under the radar. Did he send anything else these past few months I should be aware of? If so I will PM you my email address if you would like to forward me anything he sent. Thanks again!
Sure go ahead! PM your e-mail address and I will look for any other msgs.

Status
Not open for further replies.