2011-2012 University of South Carolina Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow
Not one person post any thing in here. Is USC that bad?:cool:

Wow
Not one person post any thing in here. Is USC that bad?:cool:

If you're OOS, it will murder you bank account. So in that way, I think it's bad. But if it weren't so expensive, I'd totally apply, because I think it's a good school in a good location. It's the price tag that killed my interest. Does anyone know if they throw any merit scholarships to OOS'ers?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've read that they make it possible to get IS tuition after a year. But I think it's through scholarships

Anyone know when the secondary is sent for this cycle? Also, does anyone have more insight on the application process here?

Has anyone received secondaries from USC SOM? I e-mailed the at june 29th and they said they are making update to their secondary.

Has anyone received secondaries from USC SOM? I e-mailed the at june 29th and they said they are making update to their secondary.

I am not sure if they screen or not. When you say they are making an update, what do you mean by that? I have not gotten an email about this update.

So, if I have only weak (?) ties to SC (some friends live there), would I have a shot as an OOS applicant? My numerical stats are high, I have great LORs, and I have 3+ years of research experience (undergrad and grad), though that doesn't fix the fact that I'm a Florida resident. From what I've read about the school and seen of Columbia, I'm getting very interested, but I don't want to waste my time if there's no chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, if I have only weak (?) ties to SC (some friends live there), would I have a shot as an OOS applicant? My numerical stats are high, I have great LORs, and I have 3+ years of research experience (undergrad and grad), though that doesn't fix the fact that I'm a Florida resident. From what I've read about the school and seen of Columbia, I'm getting very interested, but I don't want to waste my time if there's no chance.
This is a complete guess on my part, but I'd wager probably not. They do seem to take IS/OOS very seriously. That being said, if your stats are high enough, you may be accepted for the express purpose of raising the averages.

And how good are your stats? Good enough to get into Duke or Vandy? All of the FL schools? Honestly, would you go to Carolina if accepted? If not, save the hundred bucks, and throw yourself a nice acceptance dinner to wherever you do get in.

As I said, this is pure guesswork/opinion on my part. I absolutely love Carolina, and wouldn't change for the world. But then again, I'm not paying ~70k for OOS tuition, either.

Quoted from their secondary email:
"Since USC is a state-assisted institution, South Carolina residency is a primary admission consideration. Non-resident applications will be considered; however, only applicants with strong ties to the state of South Carolina will be given serious consideration. Non-residents make up about 10% of each class."

For this reason I decided not to send in the secondary (and I suggest you do the same). :luck: everyone!

I am also wondering about this new campus. I had no idea that they were planning on having first and second year students start at Greenville now too. Has this been confirmed? I'm a little confused here haha...

I had a question from those that received the secondary. Could you type your secondary or just handwritten? I tried my best to make it look good.
I know it's too early but check my email 10 times a day for a message from USC or MUSC. Does anybody else have the same feeling?
Good luck everyone!
:xf:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know all of the details, by a long shot, and I haven't had time to fully check it out, but this site should help:

http://www.greenvillemed.sc.edu/
Thanks for the link.
That's what I found under the history section: "The School plans to matriculate its inaugural class in the fall of 2012."
I love the place. I volunteer in this hospital.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fall 2012!? That's us :):) I hope that means more spots this year! :xf:

I had a question from those that received the secondary. Could you type your secondary or just handwritten? I tried my best to make it looks good.
I know it's too early but check my email 10 times a day for a message from USC or MUSC. Does anybody else have the same feeling?
Good luck everyone!
:xf:
I hand wrote mine last year. Didn't seem to present any problems.;)

FYI, I just found the secondary buried in my gmail's SPAM folder. It has been chilling there for 2 weeks.

OOS tuition is horrendous to so that students who apply to the school for the location .. not the school. Plus, as a state school, they want students who are committed to serving the state as MDs.

It makes perfect sense. Save your money if you're OOS, they only accept like 10 students a year...and those students usually have a tie to the state, Ie-they went to an SC college.

This was meant for the post way up above, sorry it didn't post to that one!

The actually secondary doesn't have any essays. Its just what are your parent's names, where are you from, what schools did you go to and pay here.

There is an "Additional Materials" section after that which asks IS students about their demographic profile and

Does this application represent a career change? If yes, then describe your first career choice.
If it has been more than 6 months since you finished your bachelor's degree, tell us your principal employment since that time (List whether halftime or more and dates):

5. What area of medicine do you expect to pursue at this stage?
6. In what region of the country do you plan to practice? Explain your reasons for choosing this area:
7. Describe any achievements or experiences that you believe make you a unique student.

Then for OOS they ask you to submit a "Close Ties to the State" question.

-------That being said, I am OOS. I was wondering if I also have to fill out the questions that they ask even if they are kind of paired with the in state stuff??????

The actually secondary doesn't have any essays. Its just what are your parent's names, where are you from, what schools did you go to and pay here.

-------That being said, I am OOS. I was wondering if I also have to fill out the questions that they ask even if they are kind of paired with the in state stuff??????

I filled out those questions and submitted. I got an emailing saying they received it. Doesn't seem like there are any problems.

I think it depends on how high your stats are. If you are very competitive they may take you to add to the variety of the class (i.e. to make sure the class is not all from SC). I think I would tell most OOS to save their money.

So far I am very happy with USC SOM! During orientation we got to ultrasound each other... there is nothing better than hands-on learning. It is a small class size and the faculty are approachable.

During orientation they talked some about the new Greenville school; however, they were unsure exactly when they will start taking students because they are currently working on accreditation. They actually have a new building built for it.

I've read that they make it possible to get IS tuition after a year. But I think it's through scholarships

You can get IS tuition after one year but you have to do several things in order to do so. We received some info from financial aid concerning this:

"You need to have an SC driver’s license, if your car is in your name it needs to be registered and insured in the SC, if you file taxes next year you must file a SC return, and you also must show that you have provided at least 51% of your support and were not claimed for tax purposes by someone who is not a resident of the state. (You can use your students loans as part or all of how your support yourself)"

Do you interview at USC SOM in Cola for BOTH the Greenville and Cola programs or are there two separate interviews for both? What happens if you are accepted? Do you get the option or do you go where they send you?

A bit confused on what the deal is with this.

Anybody get an invite to interview yet? :xf:

I got an interview invite today! I'm OOS, but have close ties to SC (my family just moved to Columbia, both my parents went to USC for undergrad & grad school, my brother goes to USC, I have other relatives in SC). It's for October 12th, which is a Wednesday. I called to see if I could get it switched to a Monday or Friday, but apparently they only interview on Wednesdays. Oh well. Yay!

I got an interview invite today! I'm OOS, but have close ties to SC (my family just moved to Columbia, both my parents went to USC for undergrad & grad school, my brother goes to USC, I have other relatives in SC). It's for October 12th, which is a Wednesday. I called to see if I could get it switched to a Monday or Friday, but apparently they only interview on Wednesdays. Oh well. Yay!

Congrats! Via email?

If you interview at USC som, are you interviewing for a spot at either the Columbia campus and/or Greenville campus? Will the new campus open next fall?

If you interview at USC som, are you interviewing for a spot at either the Columbia campus and/or Greenville campus? Will the new campus open next fall?

I think if you get accepted, you get the choice to choose Columbia or Greenville.

Do you have II?

This might be helpful in regard to Greenville campus.
http://www.greenvillemed.sc.edu/

They are recruiting Professors and Associate Professors for teaching the first and second year courses. So, It looks it should be open sometimes soon.

is having a relative in a state next to South Carolina a tie to South Carolina..lol

im not sure if i should spend money this secondary if im OOS w/o ties, what do you guys think?

is having a relative in a state next to South Carolina a tie to South Carolina..lol

im not sure if i should spend money this secondary if im OOS w/o ties, what do you guys think?

I am not sure. I tried to avoid universities that require strong ties.

Ok everyone.
What has been the hardest stage of your application thus far?

Status
Not open for further replies.