2012-2013 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
D. If you have already graduated, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since graduation.

E. If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Many applicants will not need to answer this question. Examples might include significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine.(4000 character maximum)

HST Essay:
The HST MD program draws on the combined resources of Harvard University and MIT to provide a distinct preclinical education tailored to preparing students for a career as a physician-scientist. The coursework in the HST program has an emphasis on quantitative and analytic approaches, centered on mechanisms critical for understanding diseases and therapies. Please explain how your prior experiences, including research, have prepared you for this challenging opportunity. In lieu of identifying specific HST faculty or research opportunities, please focus on your particular experiences, interests and aspirations. Please limit your comments to the equivalent of one page of single spaced text with a font size of 10 or 12.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone and welcome to my thread. I will be bumping this post in 10 months with an acceptance speech. Good luck to the rest of you guys!

It's no surpise we'd find you in the Harvard thread. :rolleyes:

We+President+Now.jpg

On a real note, does anyone know how strict Harvard is about their math requirements for NP, specifically calculus? Does having 1 semester of calculus and 1 semester of stats compensate for a full year of calculus?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I found HMS requires one letter from a non-science faculty. I graduated from college 4 years ago and I am doing my PhD right now. I contacted two professors we taught me in 2005 but neither of them responded (I guess they don't remember any more). Is this letter required for all applicants? Thanks!

On a real note, does anyone know how strict Harvard is about their math requirements for NP, specifically calculus? Does having 1 semester of calculus and 1 semester of stats compensate for a full year of calculus?
I also want to know the answer to this.

Can someone explain the HST track and its differences to the regular MD program?

whats up guys. im an incoming ms1 (different school) who got rejected pre-interview here. so if you have any questions about getting rejected, the rejection letter, etc. let me know i'de be more than happy to help out

Mark this thread, I will be back later~~

whats up guys. im an incoming ms1 (different school) who got rejected pre-interview here. so if you have any questions about getting rejected, the rejection letter, etc. let me know i'de be more than happy to help out
Awesome! :laugh:

Congrats on your acceptance!

What type of students does Harvard look for?

AMCAS doesn't offer me MD/MPH under MD/Graduate Combined Degree when adding Harvard as a school. It was definitely an option last year. Anyone else had this problem?

Hahaha, you are hilarious.

Members don't see this ad :)

I applied last cycle with that same split without a problem. My application went through fine, although I was not offered an interview :(

The easiest thing to do is e-mail the school and ask. In fact, as a general rule for these kinds of questions the best thing is to ask the school rather than the internet, and the admission's people tend to be really nice.

I'm an incoming 1st year. It seems to me that we look for something that makes a person different from the prototypical Pre-med. We boast about how many undergrad institutions, undergrad majors, nations, states, races, socioeconomic classes are represented at HMS. What we don't typically get is the typical superstar undergrad. Yes, many of us were valedictorians of our respective graduating classes, but many 4.0, 37 MCAT Ivy Leaguers were rejected because there was really nothing unique about them. For instance, while I was the Valedictorian of my class, I came from a small, lesser-known state school. That wasn't held against me. In fact, I think it was a positive because it allowed me to contribute to diversity in yet another way. Obviously you have to be a stellar student and have competent MCAT scores, but there are many of those out there. Remember that with nearly 5000 undergrad schools in the U.S., there are nearly 5,000 valedictorians and 5,000 student body presidents. So, that doesn't necessarily make you special. Find a way to show them that there is only one person like you, and that they need that person! Good luck and Godspeed!

I also want to know the answer to this.

Incoming first year at HMS here... At the interview, they made us fill out sheets that verify the specific classes that would satisfy their requirements. I think they're flexible on the expository writing reqs because not all schools (like mine) offer this specific coursework, so I just used my Comp classes and writing intensive coursework in my major. On the other hand, I think that Calc 1 and 2 is as rigid as Physics 1 and 2. I took biostats and elementary stats to beef up my math background. I hope this helps!

I'm an incoming 1st year. It seems to me that we look for something that makes a person different from the prototypical Pre-med. We boast about how many undergrad institutions, undergrad majors, nations, states, races, socioeconomic classes are represented at HMS. What we don't typically get is the typical superstar undergrad. Yes, many of us were valedictorians of our respective graduating classes, but many 4.0, 37 MCAT Ivy Leaguers were rejected because there was really nothing unique about them. For instance, while I was the Valedictorian of my class, I came from a small, lesser-known state school. That wasn't held against me. In fact, I think it was a positive because it allowed me to contribute to diversity in yet another way. Obviously you have to be a stellar student and have competent MCAT scores, but there are many of those out there. Remember that with nearly 5000 undergrad schools in the U.S., there are nearly 5,000 valedictorians and 5,000 student body presidents. So, that doesn't necessarily make you special. Find a way to show them that there is only one person like you, and that they need that person! Good luck and Godspeed!

For the calculus requirement, can it be taken spring of the application year? And if so, does it have to be noted on the AMCAS future course list to even be considered for an interview spot? My mindset is if HMS offers me an interview, I will take Calc 2 (have ap credit for Calc 1). But if I don't get the interview, I don't see a point in taking it. I just don't want to be screened out of getting an interview because I haven't taken Calc 2 yet and didn't mark it down as a class for this upcoming year.

Incoming first year at HMS here... At the interview, they made us fill out sheets that verify the specific classes that would satisfy their requirements. I think they're flexible on the expository writing reqs because not all schools (like mine) offer this specific coursework, so I just used my Comp classes and writing intensive coursework in my major. On the other hand, I think that Calc 1 and 2 is as rigid as Physics 1 and 2. I took biostats and elementary stats to beef up my math background. I hope this helps!

For the calculus requirement, can it be taken spring of the application year? And if so, does it have to be noted on the AMCAS future course list to even be considered for an interview spot? My mindset is if HMS offers me an interview, I will take Calc 2 (have ap credit for Calc 1). But if I don't get the interview, I don't see a point in taking it. I just don't want to be screened out of getting an interview because I haven't taken Calc 2 yet and didn't mark it down as a class for this upcoming year.

5. Computational Skills/Mathematics Computational skills are required for contemporary scientific literacy. Although the calculus of derivatives and integration represents important concepts for the precise, quantifiable understanding of dynamic physiological processes and systems, a full year of calculus focusing on the derivation of biologically low-relevance theorems is less important than mastery of more relevant algebraic and trigonometric quantitative skills. Still, to prepare adequately for the quantitative reasoning demands of the contemporary medical curriculum and certain medical specialties, to provide analytic perspective and to appreciate the uncertainties in evaluation of biological systems, students are required to have familiarity with calculus. A broader and more flexible range of requirements is encouraged, however, and, given the importance of statistics for understanding the literature of science and medicine, adequate grounding in statistics is required. Rather than increasing the one year devoted to mathematics preparation, the one-year effort should be more relevant to biology and medicine than the formerly required, traditional, one-year calculus course. Flexibility will be welcome in meeting these requirements (e.g., a semester course in calculus that covers derivatives and integration and a semester course in statistics; a calculus-based physics course and another science course that includes a firm grounding in biostatistics; or, preferably, a unified two-semester course that covers important, biologically relevant concepts in calculus and statistics).
Although a formal year-long course that covers these concepts will meet the mathematics requirement, other innovative approaches (including interdisciplinary courses taught together with biology and biologically relevant physical sciences) that allow students to master these "competencies" are encouraged and will be considered.
Advanced placement calculus credits may satisfy the calculus component of this requirement (Calculus AB and/or Calculus BC). A course in statistics does not satisfy the calculus component of this requirement.

5. Computational Skills/Mathematics Computational skills are required for contemporary scientific literacy. Although the calculus of derivatives and integration represents important concepts for the precise, quantifiable understanding of dynamic physiological processes and systems, a full year of calculus focusing on the derivation of biologically low-relevance theorems is less important than mastery of more relevant algebraic and trigonometric quantitative skills. Still, to prepare adequately for the quantitative reasoning demands of the contemporary medical curriculum and certain medical specialties, to provide analytic perspective and to appreciate the uncertainties in evaluation of biological systems, students are required to have familiarity with calculus. A broader and more flexible range of requirements is encouraged, however, and, given the importance of statistics for understanding the literature of science and medicine, adequate grounding in statistics is required. Rather than increasing the one year devoted to mathematics preparation, the one-year effort should be more relevant to biology and medicine than the formerly required, traditional, one-year calculus course. Flexibility will be welcome in meeting these requirements (e.g., a semester course in calculus that covers derivatives and integration and a semester course in statistics; a calculus-based physics course and another science course that includes a firm grounding in biostatistics; or, preferably, a unified two-semester course that covers important, biologically relevant concepts in calculus and statistics).
Although a formal year-long course that covers these concepts will meet the mathematics requirement, other innovative approaches (including interdisciplinary courses taught together with biology and biologically relevant physical sciences) that allow students to master these “competencies” are encouraged and will be considered.
Advanced placement calculus credits may satisfy the calculus component of this requirement (Calculus AB and/or Calculus BC). A course in statistics does not satisfy the calculus component of this requirement.

I'm sorry. The requirements must have just changed because I haven't even started school yet, and I had to take the full year of Calc.

I don't believe taking the course is a waste at all. Calc 2 is considered a difficult course, so it looks great to all med schools if you pull out an A. I'm pretty sure that Hopkins requires Calc 2 also... If that is an option.

I don't believe taking the course is a waste at all. Calc 2 is considered a difficult course, so it looks great to all med schools if you pull out an A. I'm pretty sure that Hopkins requires Calc 2 also... If that is an option.

Great, it's my only B. :laugh: Oh and nowhere except HST actually requires Cal II anymore. Cal I and Stat is good for Hopkins and WashU, the only other two besides HMS that required Cal II until recently.

Does anyone know if they ask about family ties in the secondary? My grandfather and uncles went to HMS but I don't know if it means anything.

Does anyone know how strict they are about requiring a recommendation from every research supervisor?

I did a pretty prestigious research internship as a freshman, and then transitioned to a lab on campus after that. Is it really necessary for me to get a letter of recommendation from my research supervisor from this summer internship? I already have 6 letters in my committee letter.

^my question tooo....how strict are they? i have four lab research experiences, have letters from two of them in the packet....has anyone gotten an interview without having had all letters....this is such a STUPID RULE. arghhhhhh

^my question tooo....how strict are they? i have four lab research experiences, have letters from two of them in the packet....has anyone gotten an interview without having had all letters....this is such a STUPID RULE. arghhhhhh

I'll let you know if I find out, but if it does seem to be very strict then I am just not going to mention that activity. It was after all just a summer internship and I pursued other work during that summer. Sort of stinks, but I don't want to draw attention to a prestigious research internship and then have them think its suspicious that I didn't get a recommendation from my research supervisor there.

Where are you guys seeing this requirement for the letters from each research position? I looked through NP and HST and didn't see anything pointing this out

so if we are submitting a committee letter packet that includes 5 letters of recommendation, does that count as 6 letters (and thus indicate the max we can send) or does it only count as one letter. I didn't realize I needed a letter from every research advisor, and I have already submitted my committee letter with 5 additional letters to AMCAS

when should we expect the secondary?

Last cycle, my AMCAS was verified on 6/28. Didn't get the secondary invite email until 7/28. Submitted the same day, just more fill-in information, no essays or anything if you're a first time applicant and only applying to NP MD, super easy. HST has an additional short answer question on research.

so if we are submitting a committee letter packet that includes 5 letters of recommendation, does that count as 6 letters (and thus indicate the max we can send) or does it only count as one letter. I didn't realize I needed a letter from every research advisor, and I have already submitted my committee letter with 5 additional letters to AMCAS

A committee letter packet counts as 1 letter.

I would have applied here as a reach school, if for no reason other than Paul Farmer teaches there, but I chose to do a year of biomedical ethics instead of a year of calculus.

Are there any scholarships provided before getting accepted. Financial hardship prevents many applicants to apply, but if they know they will get assistant before applying that would open up doors to whole new group of spectacular individuals who are struggling financially!?

You are among a small first group of applicants to be invited to fill out in the first release of the 2013 HMS Supplemental Application.

Got this today at 3:38 along with a link to secondary app

You are among a small first group of applicants to be invited to fill out in the first release of the 2013 HMS Supplemental Application.

Got this today at 3:38 along with a link to secondary app

Wow, did anyone else get this? I didn't know that Harvard did something like this...I didn't see anyone mention this on last year's thread (unless I skipped over something).

I wonder if they first send secondaries to the applicants that they actually like to ensure that they first review the applications that they would really want to read...and then send secondaries to everyone else that they will likely reject just to get some extra money. I really hope not...

Wow, did anyone else get this? I didn't know that Harvard did something like this...I didn't see anyone mention this on last year's thread (unless I skipped over something).

I wonder if they first send secondaries to the applicants that they actually like to ensure that they first review the applications that they would really want to read...and then send secondaries to everyone else that they will likely reject just to get some extra money. I really hope not...

Doubt it. It's likely just a small beta test (Probably so they don't screw up the secondary release like Columbia did). I would say you were right if they had said small "select" group of applicants but it didn't. Also, HMS accepts only 20% of their applicants post-interview so I doubt they even know who they're likely going to accept at this point. Also, for New Pathway, there is no essays, so I doubt getting the secondary really changes the amount of information they're getting in addition to the primary for their review.

Just got the secondary this morning, but I'm just applying for fun... And from e-mail (quoted below) I don't think they have any kind of preference for those who got the early secondaries. Their secondary is made by the same developer as the Columbia one it looks like carramrod06 may be right about this one.

"As you consider the decision to apply to Harvard Medical School, you should read carefully the sections of our website that describe our programs, eligibility requirements and selection factors: http://hms.harvard.edu/admissions/.

All information needed to apply is available through the On-line Application or on our website. The Medical School does NOT have rolling admissions; all applications submitted by the October 22nd deadline will receive full consideration."

And here are the questions...

A. Marital Status:
Number and ages of siblings:
Number and ages of dependents:

B. Are your parents/guardians Harvard Medical School alumni or faculty members?

C. How many hours per week did you devote to employment during the academic year?

D. If you have already graduated, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since graduation.

E. If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Many applicants will not need to answer this question. Examples might include significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine.(4000 character maximum)

HST Essay:
The HST MD program draws on the combined resources of Harvard University and MIT to provide a distinct preclinical education tailored to preparing students for a career as a physician-scientist. The coursework in the HST program has an emphasis on quantitative and analytic approaches, centered on mechanisms critical for understanding diseases and therapies. Please explain how your prior experiences, including research, have prepared you for this challenging opportunity. In lieu of identifying specific HST faculty or research opportunities, please focus on your particular experiences, interests and aspirations. Please limit your comments to the equivalent of one page of single spaced text with a font size of 10 or 12.

Last edited:
Just got the secondary this morning, but I'm just applying for fun... And from e-mail (quoted below) I don't think they have any kind of preference for those who got the early secondaries. Their secondary is made by the same developer as the Columbia one it looks like carramrod06 may be right about this one.

"As you consider the decision to apply to Harvard Medical School, you should read carefully the sections of our website that describe our programs, eligibility requirements and selection factors: http://hms.harvard.edu/admissions/.

All information needed to apply is available through the On-line Application or on our website. The Medical School does NOT have rolling admissions; all applications submitted by the October 22nd deadline will receive full consideration."

And here are the questions...

A. Marital Status:
Number and ages of siblings:
Number and ages of dependents:

B. Are your parents/guardians Harvard Medical School alumni or faculty members?

C. How many hours per week did you devote to employment during the academic year?

HST Essay:

thank you for posting this :) :thumbup:

Got my 2ndry today. I was verified 6/26.

I submitted the secondary today. It is a long shot, but I am hoping my background will help me get an interview.

I have a friend starting there in the fall, so at least I will have a place to stay and a ride to and from the airport if I get an invite.

Status
Not open for further replies.