2012-2013 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Last year they came around a week to 2 weeks after the e-mail. I know some people that were on the opposite side of the country and didn't get their folders until well after the rest of us. I also know someone that was in Bulgaria when it was sent out and they panicked for a month before it finally arrived. Don't fret 🙂

(Long time listener, first time caller!)
 
Hey Guys,
Sorry if someone asked this already but does anyone know how to confirm being on the HST waitlist? I just replied to Joanne's email saying I wanted to stay on it, but there was never any button to click on the application status page, nor did I ever receive confirmation. Is that all I had to do?
Thanks! Appreciate it!
 
Hey Guys,
Sorry if someone asked this already but does anyone know how to confirm being on the HST waitlist? I just replied to Joanne's email saying I wanted to stay on it, but there was never any button to click on the application status page, nor did I ever receive confirmation. Is that all I had to do?
Thanks! Appreciate it!

I think HST waitlist also gets a package in the mail with a form for you to fill out.
 
so just to make sure.. to secure our spot, we only have to return the blue offer of acceptance form, right? we don't have to return the course requirements form if we already submitted one on interview day, correct?
 
so just to make sure.. to secure our spot, we only have to return the blue offer of acceptance form, right? we don't have to return the course requirements form if we already submitted one on interview day, correct?

Wondering this as well...
 
Do any first or second years live at Harvard @trilogy? Wondering if it is a good alternative to vanderbilt hall

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question regarding grading at HMS

I'm a med student elsewhere involved in discussions about our preclinical grading system. Part of the process involves determining the policies of our peer schools, including HMS. Hoping someone could resolve some issues:

Grading System – Years I and II
1. All courses taken by first- and second-year Harvard medical students are graded satisfactory/unsatisfactory.
2. For students of exceptional merit, a Letter of Excellence may be written and forwarded to the Registrar, to be added to the student's permanent file.
6. Narratives on the performance of each student are to be prepared by the faculty of all courses having regular small group teaching sessions and in core and elective clerkships. This routinely applies to tutorials but may also include labs and conferences. Course directors are responsible for forwarding narratives within four weeks of the end of the course to the Registrar for inclusion in the student's official record. Copies of narratives are provided to the Academic Societies for each student's file and to the PRB for review.

My impression: HMS is pass/fail the first two years, except some people can get gold stars ("Letter of Excellence") but nobody knows how these are given out and who gets them, everyone gets narrative evaluations that are included in your record and can affect your Dean's letter, and HST is graded and ranked?
 
Does anyone know if there's a list of books that are required/recommended for 1st years?
I have a friend selling a bunch of her med school books and was hoping to save some money...
 
Question regarding grading at HMS

I'm a med student elsewhere involved in discussions about our preclinical grading system. Part of the process involves determining the policies of our peer schools, including HMS. Hoping someone could resolve some issues:



My impression: HMS is pass/fail the first two years, except some people can get gold stars ("Letter of Excellence") but nobody knows how these are given out and who gets them, everyone gets narrative evaluations that are included in your record and can affect your Dean's letter, and HST is graded and ranked?

Yes to most of what you said. I have never heard abut the "Letter of Excellence" but if the registrar says it exists it must. It is definitely not something that is spoken about.

I am not in HST but my understanding is that they are pass/fail with some form of an internal ranking. Again, I could be making that up so make sure to double check.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.