2012-2013 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else applying HST? I think this is the absolute coolest program. Too bad every engineer in the world applies to it and they only take 40 :( I don't stand a chance, but I have to try!

Members don't see this ad.

Got my secondary about an hour ago, was verified on 7/12/2012. Looks like they rolled a lot out today. Since Harvard is non-rolling, I will likely be taking my time getting this one in.

Anyone else applying HST? I think this is the absolute coolest program. Too bad every engineer in the world applies to it and they only take 40 :( I don't stand a chance, but I have to try!

I think I might.

Are engineers and MD applicants applying for the same spots? Or are you referring to engineers applying to the MD program? You'll be competing with them for the MD spot too, anyways.

I think the HST mission is awesome. :thumbup: Unfortunately my research is lacking.

Quick Q mirimonster: As a reapplicant, where are your medical ECs? And why did you only apply to mid/upper tier schools, especially as a reapplicant... Tulane, Creighton, Drexel, MCW? I mean they focus on ECs more, but your huge MCAT might make up for your GPA/ECs there a lot easier. You have a strong app otherwise though, nice research/MCAT!

Last edited:
Are engineers and MD applicants applying for the same spots? Or are you referring to engineers applying to the MD program? You'll be competing with them for the MD spot too, anyways.

Engineers applying for MD. I think HST just fits perfectly with my background, but I don't think my GPA will cut it. :(

Quick Q mirimonster: As a reapplicant, where are your medical ECs? And why did you only apply to mid/upper tier schools, especially as a reapplicant... Tulane, Creighton, Drexel, MCW? I mean they focus on ECs more, but your huge MCAT might make up for your GPA/ECs there a lot easier. You have a strong app otherwise though, nice research/MCAT!

I spent the last two years working full time with direct patient contact. The first year was clinical research, the second was through AmeriCorps. I actually have very strong EC's, just didn't want to go into detail to maintain at least a little anonymity.

I'm not sure what you mean by the second part. If you take a look at my MDapps, My GPA is well in the range for VTC, Wake Forest, Tulane, VCU, UCDavis, Hofstra, Rush, Loyola, Tufts, NYMC, Colorado, even UCLA, especially considering my MCAT is 90%tile everywhere. I'm not a re-applicant for most of those, so I won't get hit with the stigma. Considered Drexel, but didn't go through with it because they have so many applicants. Creighton actually has a surprisingly high GPA range (3.43-3.96), so it doesn't help me at all, and I hate Nebraska. Same goes for MCW (3.48-3.94), although Milwaukee is fine. I'm not at the median anywhere, but that's true across the board. I didn't focus so much on tiers, but rather on schools that don't seem to care as much about GPA, plus schools that I just would want to go to. It's definitely top heavy, but I have a solid base.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't really done my homework on looking up the HST program...mainly since I know I probably wouldn't stand a chance with my stats. But is the HST program an M.D/Ph.D. program or can HST students choose to only get the M.D.?

I haven't really done my homework on looking up the HST program...mainly since I know I probably wouldn't stand a chance with my stats. But is the HST program an M.D/Ph.D. program or can HST students choose to only get the M.D.?

It's MD only, or PhD only (called MEMP - Medical Engineering & Medical Physics). I know of someone who was doing MD/PhD while in HST, but he was doing the PhD separately, rather than through a standard MSTP program. I recommend checking out http://hst.mit.edu/academics/md.

Edit: Take that back, there is a combined MD-PhD program, but only 40% participate in it. http://hst.mit.edu/academics/md/md-phd-program

The curriculum leads to an MD degree from HMS and is oriented toward students with a declared interest in a career in biomedical research and a strong interest and background in physical or biological sciences.

Got my secondary today as well. Love the no rolling admissions. Gonna put this secondary on the backburner.

Last edited:
Wow, this is the easiest secondary I've ever seen. I don't have to answer any questions, lol.

For the question "How many hours per week did you devote to employment during the academic year?", I will be starting my senior year in the fall, so I'm not sure what to enter for Senior year. For those of you in the same situation, are you estimating the number of hours, leaving it blank, or something else?

Wow, this is the easiest secondary I've ever seen. I don't have to answer any questions, lol.

That may not be in your best interest. I heard HMS loves diversity. IMO, you should at least try to write an essay about your background.

For the question "How many hours per week did you devote to employment during the academic year?", I will be starting my senior year in the fall, so I'm not sure what to enter for Senior year. For those of you in the same situation, are you estimating the number of hours, leaving it blank, or something else?

I would just leave it blank. It says how many hours did you work. Since that is past tense and you haven't done it, I wouldn't put anything there. You can always talk to them about it in an interview.

Got the secondary today, and I'm not entirely sure why HMS even has a secondary. It seems like they're just trying to rake in some extra cash by having us fill out the extra form and pay the fee.

no secondary yet...verified 6/15. anyone else still waiting?

That may not be in your best interest. I heard HMS loves diversity. IMO, you should at least try to write an essay about your background.

I don't think this essay should be taken as a "diversity" essay. Their examples show pretty clearly that they're looking for you to talk about a specific kind of personal background - namely, hardship or challenges. It even explicitly states that many applicants will not need to answer the question. This isn't about "best interest"; if the above poster doesn't have anything to say here, that's that, and that won't put him at a disadvantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think this essay should be taken as a "diversity" essay. Their examples show pretty clearly that they're looking for you to talk about a specific kind of personal background - namely, hardship or challenges. It even explicitly states that many applicants will not need to answer the question. This isn't about "best interest"; if the above poster doesn't have anything to say here, that's that, and that won't put him at a disadvantage.

Agree. The topic I would write about in that essay I've already covered in my PS. Therefore, I probably won't write anything for that question.

I now patiently await the typical SDN "OMGWTFBBQ why u no rite moar" responses.

Agree. The topic I would write about in that essay I've already covered in my PS. Therefore, I probably won't write anything for that question.

I now patiently await the typical SDN "OMGWTFBBQ why u no rite moar" responses.

Psh, what's another 4000 characters to your life?

:laugh:

Seems like they changed the application when they changed the layout of the website since last year's application! If I remember, no choice in optional essay last year - they may be looking for points that stand out in this year's applicants. If I were applying again, I'd probably write about something significant that has "influenced your motivation for a career in medicine". Unique reasons for wanting to go into the medical field, and how HMS is the best place for what you specifically want to do may get your foot in the door and get you that interview. Just my two cents, gluck everyone! :)

With regards to the personal background/identity question, there are a couple of things I am thinking of putting here:
-my experiences with a certain demographic group as I grew up that led me to an interest in a particular field of medicine
-fairly significant time spent living in a different country. I want to continue nourishing my connection with this country throughout med school and as a physician. HMS has strong connections, hence my applying here.

Neither of these factors are challenges or hardships, so I'm inclined to agree with TheKDizzle and DrDestroyMD and leave the question blank. However, these factors have certainly "influenced my motivation for a career in medicine" so I can also agree with Silverwing by seeing how a response may be warranted/helpful.

Just looking for opinions!

I decided to write about how my experiences with a certain group helped influence my decision to enter medicine. However, I hadn't really talked about that in my AMCAS.

With regards to the personal background/identity question, there are a couple of things I am thinking of putting here:
-my experiences with a certain demographic group as I grew up that led me to an interest in a particular field of medicine
-fairly significant time spent living in a different country. I want to continue nourishing my connection with this country throughout med school and as a physician. HMS has strong connections, hence my applying here.

Neither of these factors are challenges or hardships, so I'm inclined to agree with TheKDizzle and DrDestroyMD and leave the question blank. However, these factors have certainly "influenced my motivation for a career in medicine" so I can also agree with Silverwing by seeing how a response may be warranted/helpful.

Just looking for opinions!

If I was to have written an essay for this question, I would have written about the death of an immediate family member, and how that person's lifelong interactions with medicine made me develop a passion for the field. However, I literally spent 1/2 of my PS elucidating the same story/points, so I chose not to write anything for the HMS question. It's really just personal preference at this point.

HST essay is hard, I feel like mine is boring.

Does anyone know what the consensus is on the Calc II requirement? I didn't take it in UG and already graduated.

Is applying with only Calc I and Biostatistics an auto rejection?

Thanks for the input. I'll probably write something to address those aspects that I didn't cover anywhere in my primary. Cheers to another essay! haha

HST essay is hard, I feel like mine is boring.

Haven't written mine yet, but have a majority of it through my Dartmouth essay.

Mine I'm actually pretty excited about because I have an interesting engineering background. Meh, doubt it'll matter, like they read these things... :rolleyes:

Submitted! Really hope I get the chance to interview here!

Submitted! Really hope I get the chance to interview here!

I think you will, but I've seen crazier things happen! For this cycle, you have the most impressive mdapps I have seen and you've very helpful to everyone... I hope you get in where you want to go!

I'm bumping my question since no one answered it...

Any suggestions, should I estimate the number of hours for senior year, leave it blank, or put IP (for In Progress)? What are other people who are starting their senior year doing for this?

Thanks!

I'm bumping my question since no one answered it...

Any suggestions, should I estimate the number of hours for senior year, leave it blank, or put IP (for In Progress)? What are other people who are starting their senior year doing for this?

Thanks!

FWIW, I left mine blank. I think estimating would be fine, too. I wouldn't put IP.

Does anyone know what the consensus is on the Calc II requirement? I didn't take it in UG and already graduated.

Is applying with only Calc I and Biostatistics an auto rejection?

On the website it says that applicants can fulfill the new or old requirements. Under the new requirements, "Flexibility will be welcome in meeting these requirements (e.g., a semester course in calculus that covers derivatives and integration and a semester course in statistics; a calculus-based physics course and another science course that includes a firm grounding in biostatistics; or, preferably, a unified two-semester course that covers important, biologically relevant concepts in calculus and statistics)." There you go, it seems like you are fine.

Separate question: the letter of recommendation requirement instructions on the website are different from the instructions in the secondary. Specifically, the secondary says that a committee letter would be sufficient, while no mention is given to the committee letter on the website. Any thoughts?

You really had a PI that didn't speak no english?

with that kind of command of the written language I can't see how they wouldn't take you!
(they are called double negatives and they just don't work)

its always disheartening to see such egregious grammar fails on the HMS board, I guess it keeps everyone grounded....

with that kind of command of the written language I can't see how they wouldn't take you!
(they are called double negatives and they just don't work)

its always disheartening to see such egregious grammar fails on the HMS board, I guess it keeps everyone grounded....

Seriously?

Dude, it was clearly a joke. And this is an internet forum, not an application. Your level of seriousness needs to drop a couple log magnitudes.

You are among a small first group of applicants to be invited to fill out in the first release of the 2013 HMS Supplemental Application.

Got this today at 3:38 along with a link to secondary app

Wow, that must really have made your day, getting something like that from HARVARD. :D

Nice grammar.

C'mon, you didn't even pick on his lack of any and all capitalization...

I just hope that the people at Harvard aren't this snotty, it's kind of the stereotype Ivy Leagues are given. I'd really like to attend one, but wouldn't want to if they are bratty about things like that.

C'mon, you didn't even pick on his lack of any and all capitalization...

I just hope that the people at Harvard aren't this snotty, it's kind of the stereotype Ivy Leagues are given. I'd really like to attend one, but wouldn't want to if they are bratty about things like that.

LOL. That was my first thought, but then I looked at this guy's post history... first year medical student at MSU, the only school he got into, (off the waitlist in May). He's definitely either trolling or just naturally stupid. :laugh:

On the website it says that applicants can fulfill the new or old requirements. Under the new requirements, "Flexibility will be welcome in meeting these requirements (e.g., a semester course in calculus that covers derivatives and integration and a semester course in statistics; a calculus-based physics course and another science course that includes a firm grounding in biostatistics; or, preferably, a unified two-semester course that covers important, biologically relevant concepts in calculus and statistics)." There you go, it seems like you are fine.

Separate question: the letter of recommendation requirement instructions on the website are different from the instructions in the secondary. Specifically, the secondary says that a committee letter would be sufficient, while no mention is given to the committee letter on the website. Any thoughts?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the website says that beginning with the class of 2016, which is the class previous to this application cycle, ONLY the new requirements will be acceptable.

LOL. That was my first thought, but then I looked at this guy's post history... first year medical student at MSU, the only school he got into, (off the waitlist in May). He's definitely either trolling or just naturally stupid. :laugh:

I can appreciate the naturally stupid comment, it is only fair to consider both possibilities...I would go with bored on summer break trolling the big brained people...or maybe stupid, either one is fine..

Anyone know accepted stats for HST? Sadly nothing in the MSAR that I could find.

Anyone know accepted stats for HST? Sadly nothing in the MSAR that I could find.

I would assume quite similar to the NP program, if not slightly more difficult.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the website says that beginning with the class of 2016, which is the class previous to this application cycle, ONLY the new requirements will be acceptable.

From the website:

"Note: Meeting either set of requirements will be acceptable for classes entering from 2011-2015.
Beginning with the class entering in 2016, only the new requirements will be acceptable."

Is anyone having trouble paying the application fee? I clicked to pay, put in the credit card info and clicked "Buy", and then it just took me back to the application, but it didn't give me any kind of confirmation or anything.

This may not have been smart...but I tried it a second time as well. Same thing, no confirmation. I've been trying it in Chrome. Maybe that's why?

From the website:

"Note: Meeting either set of requirements will be acceptable for classes entering from 2011-2015.
Beginning with the class entering in 2016, only the new requirements will be acceptable."

Ah sorry, I remembered it as the "class of 2016," glad there's a little more flexibility this year.

Little bit confused about which of the last two LOR options I should pick on the secondary:

2) I am submitting to AMCAS a packet of letters sent by my school or a third party vendor, such as Interfolio.
3) I am submitting to AMCAS individual letters sent from the letter writers to AMCAS

I have individual letters that my writers sent to Interfolio, which I then sent to AMCAS. I didn't arrange them in a packet or anything, but I did send them from Interfolio at the same time. I think I should pick the 3rd option, I'm just not entirely positive since my individual letters weren't actually sent to AMCAS. But they aren't arranged in a packet either so the 2nd option doesn't seem right. Hopefully it's not a big deal either way haha

Little bit confused about which of the last two LOR options I should pick on the secondary:

2) I am submitting to AMCAS a packet of letters sent by my school or a third party vendor, such as Interfolio.
3) I am submitting to AMCAS individual letters sent from the letter writers to AMCAS

I have individual letters that my writers sent to Interfolio, which I then sent to AMCAS. I didn't arrange them in a packet or anything, but I did send them from Interfolio at the same time. I think I should pick the 3rd option, I'm just not entirely positive since my individual letters weren't actually sent to AMCAS. But they aren't arranged in a packet either so the 2nd option doesn't seem right. Hopefully it's not a big deal either way haha

You should pick the 3rd option, since you're submitting individual letters. The 2nd option is for a letter packet.

You should pick the 3rd option, since you're submitting individual letters. The 2nd option is for a letter packet.

That's what I figured, the whole Interfolio thing just threw me off. Thanks!

From the website:

Your class is entering in 2013. The next class is entering in 2014. The people about to start college (med school class of 2020) are going to be the class entering in 2016. That's my interpretation. This also coincides with the change in the MCAT.

EDIT: Just reread the website, nevermind!

Last edited:
This seems like an okay safety school. :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.