2012-2013 Radiology Applicants Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Harbor is one of the worst programs in the country. I'd consider it if you have no other way to become a radiologist. It's somewhat competitive because of location and ignorance.

I am assuming bridgeport/yale is a crappy one too. They like to be under a power house banner. Explain somewhat competitive? Like average step 1 in 240s?
I am also assuming that it's not easy to get fellowships into UCLA either.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am assuming bridgeport/yale is a crappy one too. They like to be under a power house banner. Explain somewhat competitive? Like average step 1 in 240s?
I am also assuming that it's not easy to get fellowships into UCLA either.

That's probably about right for step; I wouldn't bet on getting into a good program for fellowship period coming out of harbor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well USC is a pretty good program and their main affiliate is LAC; it's just the actual program that isn't good. Certainly below kaiser, cedars, etc. it's probably comparable to bad comm programs in NYC like Harlem hospital and Staten Island.

Just to clarify, there are two Staten Island programs.

1) Richmond University - horrible, was on probation at some point last year, no redeeming qualities, minimal affiliation with NYMC.

2) Staten Island University - new-ish community program, NSLIJ affiliate, actually not bad for an NYC community program (has a particularly well-respected radiology informatics guy from MGH).

I looked into pretty much every NYC adjacent program, so anyone interested in NYC can feel free to PM me with specific questions.

Just to clarify, there are two Staten Island programs.

1) Richmond University - horrible, was on probation at some point last year, no redeeming qualities, minimal affiliation with NYMC.

2) Staten Island University - new-ish community program, NSLIJ affiliate, actually not bad for an NYC community program (has a particularly well-respected radiology informatics guy from MGH).

I looked into pretty much every NYC adjacent program, so anyone interested in NYC can feel free to PM me with specific questions.

How would you rank all the NYC radiology programs outside of the "big 5" (NYU, Columbia, Cornell, Mount Sinai, Montefiore)?

How would you rank all the NYC radiology programs outside of the "big 5" (NYU, Columbia, Cornell, Mount Sinai, Montefiore)?

There are way too many too list (I've done it before, but can't remember where and too lazy to repeat it.

Name some and I'll rank'em.

Btw:

NYU >>>
Cornell >>
Sinai > Columbia >= Montefiore

If I were you, I don't think I'd start declining multiple interviews yet with only 14 total. I'd wait until you get a few more and can be guaranteed 15 if you end up finding it necessary.

I would decline Wayne, but I would also decline them if they were your only interview.

Some of your programs weren't happy with their interviews last year and chose SOAP applicants instead (eg Allegheny), so I wouldn't consider them safeties.

(Remember, SOAP will have a lot of derm and ortho people with much better stats than yours, so don't assume you'll be competitive there. )

I would aim for at least 20 interviews if you have anything questionable on your app.

I would decline Wayne, but I would also decline them if they were your only interview.

Some of your programs weren't happy with their interviews last year and chose SOAP applicants instead (eg Allegheny), so I wouldn't consider them safeties.

I would. Most programs adjust their rank preferences the next year if they don't fill.

(Remember, SOAP will have a lot of derm and ortho people with much better stats than yours, so don't assume you'll be competitive there. )

I would aim for at least 20 interviews if you have anything questionable on your app.

I would. Most programs adjust their rank preferences the next year if they don't fill.

I think depending on the competition this year, some still might bet on getting better applicants in the scramble than in the match.

Allegheny could have filled some of its spots in the match last year I'm sure and intentionally decided to wait for SOAP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think depending on the competition this year, some still might bet on getting better applicants in the scramble than in the match.

Allegheny could have filled some of its spots in the match last year I'm sure and intentionally decided to wait for SOAP.

That's a really interesting point I didn't look at before. Now I'm not entirely sure on how the old scramble and current soap process work, but our dean talked with us about it a little bit. I think he said back with scramble, students would make a rank list like we do now and get their highest choice (you rank place #1, they rank you #5, but you get spot if it's still open). Now with soap, the rank list goes with what the programs want and not so much what the students rank is (i.e. a program puts you #1 and you put them #5, you go there). Is this correct? If it is, then I wonder if more programs will start doing that to get more competitive applicants.

Doesn't seem wise for the programs to load up with groups of people who are applying because they didn't match into the specialty they wanted. All that gets you is a bunch of people not invested in the specialty who happen to have good numbers. It doesn't matter how high test scores are if you aren't emotionally invested in what you're doing.

Not that I'm saying they won't try it. It just seems like a stupid and potentially damaging move in a program's longterm for the sake of getting higher "quality" people.

Doesn't seem wise for the programs to load up with groups of people who are applying because they didn't match into the specialty they wanted. All that gets you is a bunch of people not invested in the specialty who happen to have good numbers. It doesn't matter how high test scores are if you aren't emotionally invested in what you're doing.

Not that I'm saying they won't try it. It just seems like a stupid and potentially damaging move in a program's longterm for the sake of getting higher "quality" people.

Last year was particularly not competitive, so I think programs were faced with defective goods from the radiology pool or being the second choice of otherwise top tier applicants.

I can understand why some PDs went with the latter.

Last year was particularly not competitive, so I think programs were faced with defective goods from the radiology pool or being the second choice of otherwise top tier applicants.

I can understand why some PDs went with the latter.

I think it's far more likely programs overreached.

I think it's far more likely programs overreached.

For some sure, but IIRC Allegheny scrambled all of their spots.

It's a community program in Pittsburgh, but still, they couldn't have had that much hubris to not match anybody.

It must have been at least slightly intentional.

For some sure, but IIRC Allegheny scrambled all of their spots.

It's a community program in Pittsburgh, but still, they couldn't have had that much hubris to not match anybody.

It must have been at least slightly intentional.

They scrambled many but not all of their spots. I think south Alabama was the only program that matched no one.

There are way too many too list (I've done it before, but can't remember where and too lazy to repeat it.

Name some and I'll rank'em.

Btw:

NYU >>>
Cornell >>
Sinai > Columbia >= Montefiore

Okay then, what about the following (not all in NYC): Beth Israel, St. Luke's, SUNY Downstate, Stonybrook, Maimonides, UMDNJ-New Jersey, North Shore?

Does anyone have a rough idea of how far down does one's (anyone with step 1 250+) rank list go before they end up definitively matching (not tentatively) at a program?
Historically or on average for such applicants.

2-3 maybe?

Okay then, what about the following (not all in NYC): Beth Israel, St. Luke's, SUNY Downstate, Stonybrook, Maimonides, UMDNJ-New Jersey, North Shore?

North Shore >> Beth Israel >= St Luke's > UMDNJ > SUNY Downstate > Maimonides

Stony Brook really depends on what you're looking for...

In some ways it is better than all of those, in others worse than many of them. Probably the best for basic science research out of this bunch, but being that far from NYC hurts it both in terms of connections (disappointing match list) and caliber of residents.

Also, received cryptic warnings about Downstate, so do some research. Also in an incredibly bad part of town, second only to the late Bronx Lebanon program.

Beth Israel and St Luke's share their academic lectures (take one full day away from rotations), so I would rank them next to each other, probably with BI first.

Does anyone have a rough idea of how far down does one's (anyone with step 1 250+) rank list go before they end up definitively matching (not tentatively) at a program?

2-3 maybe?

There's no answer to this.

I matched in my top 3, most other people I knew did as well. Then again, some people scrambled.

There's no magic number, historically you should feel safe after 10, but people have gone on >16 without matching.

From 2011 Charting outcomes, of 281 ppl who interviewed at 16 or more programs, 1 did not match.

Attachments

• Charting Outcomes.pdf
    47.6 KB · Views: 80
From 2011 Charting outcomes, of 281 ppl who interviewed at 16 or more programs, 1 did not match.

I've seen this many times. But, it is only for general population. I want to know about a selective group. 10 is good for almost anyone, yes.

this is with step1 score and matching. you won't find any more specific data than what the NRMP releases.

Attachments

• Charting Outcomes 2.pdf
    47.6 KB · Views: 101

2-3 maybe?

Last year one of the people in this group matched at their 7-9th with both steps > 270 and aoa and research. The program they matched at was still a very top program, but it's easy to slide if you're applying to only top tiers. I ranked 19 rads last year all of which were either in the top 15 or in CA.

Does anyone know if BWH is filled with dates? Same for BID? I hope they are sending two more waves.

Also, would appreciate it if anyone could rank the california programs that are not power houses.

Like Loma Linda, Santa Clara, UCSB, Habor, Kaiser, Cedars-Sinai.

Last edited:
Also, would appreciate it if anyone could rank the california programs that are not power houses.

Santa Clara is by far the most competitive of those and IMO the best. By reputation; I would rank them SCV, LLU, kaiser = cedars, cottage, harbor. By desirability, SCV >>>> Cedars = Kaiser > Cottage > Harbor >>> LLU.

Santa Clara is by far the most competitive of those and IMO the best. I would rank them SCV, LLU, kaiser = cedars, cottage, harbor.

Davis is less competitive than SCV but a bit better program.

Santa Clara is by far the most competitive of those and IMO the best. I would rank them SCV, LLU, kaiser = cedars, cottage, harbor.

Davis is less competitive than SCV but a bit better program.

I know this is an annoying question, but what kind of numbers/clinical grades, etc did you see at davis and Santa Clara?

I know this is an annoying question, but what kind of numbers/clinical grades, etc did you see at davis and Santa Clara?

I didn't apply to community programs, but I'd expect both places to have applicants with 245-260 step 1 and 50-90% honors in m3.

did anyone hear back from yale? i replied to the e-mail on 10/19 but haven't heard back yet

This is bullsh*t! I go to UIC and haven't received an invite from them yet. This is a crazy interview season.

This is bullsh*t! I go to UIC and haven't received an invite from them yet. This is a crazy interview season.

haha, i'm in the same boat, probably will come soon...

Good luck to all the applicants this year

I interviewed all over the country last year - mostly West Coast and Northeast with a range of MGH to Harbor. I interviewed at a lot of CA programs and some of the big guns back east. PM me with any questions.

I won't claim to have the overall knowledge of drizz haha but I can bring a different perspective

+1 to this list. If anything, I thought UIC would send out invites to its own students first. Well I was wrong their.

UIC, finally some Chicago love! Pumped

Yeah, real cool of you to post this when multiple other people are bummed out about not getting it. Wayta taunt them.

And I say this objectively, as I did not apply there. Have some tact.

Although it seems you are probably trolling.