You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 University of Cincinnati Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
How does UC and OSU handle multiple mcat scores? Do they average them?
I cannot answer for OSU, but from my experience UC does not average them. I was accepted and I got a 22 on my first attempt and a 32 on my second.
Best of Luck!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I made a U-turn on a red light, got a ticket for it, but then got a lawyer to contest it in court, after which I received no points on my license. Would I still check the traffic violation box on the secondary application?
I would say yes. I think it's better to mention it than to not mention it, cause if they found out you had gotten a ticket that'd be bad. If it was just a one time thing, I don't think they'll care about it anyway.
Check out this guy's memory 👍
lol yeah...too bad my memory fails me when it comes to bio exams though :/ 👎
lol yeah...too bad my memory fails me when it comes to bio exams though :/ 👎
Your GPA says otherwise

Has anyone heard from the school since their post-secondary "thank you for submitting your application" email?
Nope, not a single word. Any idea when Interview Invites start coming out?
8/23 last year so maybe next week?
8/23 last year so maybe next week?
Yikes. I didn't realize it was so late; we are a couple of weeks behind last year's cycle, right?
I just sent an "in the area" email in the hopes of not trucking my rear up there twice if they like me. 🙂 I knew they hadn't sent invites yet, but I didn't know I was so far off!
Yikes. I didn't realize it was so late; we are a couple of weeks behind last year's cycle, right?
I just sent an "in the area" email in the hopes of not trucking my rear up there twice if they like me. 🙂 I knew they hadn't sent invites yet, but I didn't know I was so far off!
Even though AMCAS transmitted a few days later this year, I do not think schools have really taken that into consideration. All it really meant for them was a larger group of people in the first transmission of data so I would guess they would still be sending out the first II here in the next week or two.
Even though AMCAS transmitted a few days later this year, I do not think schools have really taken that into consideration. All it really meant for them was a larger group of people in the first transmission of data so I would guess they would still be sending out the first II here in the next week or two.
Thanks. That makes me feel better!
Has anyone else gotten an interview invite? And know if they have a student host program? I can't find info on their II.
Has anyone else gotten an interview invite? And know if they have a student host program? I can't find info on their II.
You got an II?
Hey, I plan to post this again later on in the application cycle, but there is a very easy way for out of state students to receive instate tuition immediately starting first year, allowing you save close to $20k.
I am a current first year and I was able to take advantage of it this year. If you are not from Ohio and need a geography lesson, Cincinnati is on the border, touching Kentucky. They give a "Metropolitan Tuition Rate" to northern Kentucky residents, which is instate tuition plus and additional $180 each semester.
Therefore, if you move to northern Kentucky (which is about a 12 minute drive to the college of medicine), all you will need is a Kentucky driver's license, and a copy of your current apartment lease. Getting a Kentucky driver's license is also very simple. As long as you have valid license from your home state, they will just exchange that license for a new one.
I moved into my apartment on July 12th, got a copy of my lease and Kentucky license, and was able to submit everything to UC that same day. Once you are accepted and from out of state and you are considering UC, PM me and I would be more than happy to help you with this process.
Also, I am under the impression UC is a school that has no problem with "in the area" e-mails. I sent one last year and got an interview invite the next week.
Good luck, everyone!
I am a current first year and I was able to take advantage of it this year. If you are not from Ohio and need a geography lesson, Cincinnati is on the border, touching Kentucky. They give a "Metropolitan Tuition Rate" to northern Kentucky residents, which is instate tuition plus and additional $180 each semester.
Therefore, if you move to northern Kentucky (which is about a 12 minute drive to the college of medicine), all you will need is a Kentucky driver's license, and a copy of your current apartment lease. Getting a Kentucky driver's license is also very simple. As long as you have valid license from your home state, they will just exchange that license for a new one.
I moved into my apartment on July 12th, got a copy of my lease and Kentucky license, and was able to submit everything to UC that same day. Once you are accepted and from out of state and you are considering UC, PM me and I would be more than happy to help you with this process.
Also, I am under the impression UC is a school that has no problem with "in the area" e-mails. I sent one last year and got an interview invite the next week.
Good luck, everyone!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How competitive is a 30 mcat at UC? I have 3.9 undergrad GPA Psychology major, 3.8 GPA premed prereqs post undergrad, good EC's, research experience of about 6-7 months total between two different labs with no publications or poster presentations as research assistant, good amount of volunteer experience, decent amount of relevant clinical employment, and around 40 hours physician shadowing.
Hey, I plan to post this again later on in the application cycle, but there is a very easy way for out of state students to receive instate tuition immediately starting first year, allowing you save close to $20k.
I am a current first year and I was able to take advantage of it this year. If you are not from Ohio and need a geography lesson, Cincinnati is on the border, touching Kentucky. They give a "Metropolitan Tuition Rate" to northern Kentucky residents, which is instate tuition plus and additional $180 each semester.
Therefore, if you move to northern Kentucky (which is about a 12 minute drive to the college of medicine), all you will need is a Kentucky driver's license, and a copy of your current apartment lease. Getting a Kentucky driver's license is also very simple. As long as you have valid license from your home state, they will just exchange that license for a new one.
I moved into my apartment on July 12th, got a copy of my lease and Kentucky license, and was able to submit everything to UC that same day. Once you are accepted and from out of state and you are considering UC, PM me and I would be more than happy to help you with this process.
Also, I am under the impression UC is a school that has no problem with "in the area" e-mails. I sent one last year and got an interview invite the next week.
Good luck, everyone!
thanks for the tips, and good luck as you begin school!
Yeah I did, I was surprised that no one else is posting their II's? It's an MMI too... kinda nervous about that!
Yeah I did, I was surprised that no one else is posting their II's? It's an MMI too... kinda nervous about that!
I'm actually excited about MMI! I think I got screwed in some of my interviews last cycle because everything was riding on the opinion of just one interviewer.
Just submitted my app! Cincinnati is now top on my list because 1. No essays, and 2. $25 application fee
Yeah I did, I was surprised that no one else is posting their II's? It's an MMI too... kinda nervous about that!
Well congrats! You're one of the select few I guess, nobody else has even made a peep about II's!
Has anyone else gotten an interview invite? And know if they have a student host program? I can't find info on their II.
It says to email admissions and ask for a student host list.
Great, thank you so much!
Yeah I did, I was surprised that no one else is posting their II's? It's an MMI too... kinda nervous about that!
Good luck! When did you complete?
Just submitted my secondary today but not expecting much: 3.64/3.68, 33Q.
Just submitted my secondary today but not expecting much: 3.64/3.68, 33Q.
Why not expecting much? Stats at least look decent
I was complete on July 9th, then received an II on August 17th.
Interview invite just now! Woohoo!
Interview invite just now! Woohoo!
Congratulations! When did you complete? I'm surprised there aren't more IIs on SDN...
Thanks! I know I submitted 7/24 but am not sure when exactly I was complete. I know it was soon after that though.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interview invite just now! Woohoo!
Congratulations! Cincinnati has a very high acceptance rate for applicants interviewing early.
Thanks! I mean I'm out of state but the book I have on med schools from like 2010 still says its about 50% which seem good to me!
Thanks! I mean I'm out of state but the book I have on med schools from like 2010 still says its about 50% which seem good to me!
I came from out of state as well. I think the percentage of acceptances after interviews for out of state is even higher than 50%. Also, when I interviewed in December of last year they said they had interviewed around 320 and accepted 240 of those applicants.
If you have any questions about the school, let me know. Good Luck!
Does anybody know if UC is receptive to "in the area" emails? I have an interview at OSU and would love to be able to interview at UC around the same time so I don't have to spend another $450 dollars for a plane ticket to Ohio.
I believe they are receptive to "in the area" e-mails. I sent one last year and received an interview invite that week. That may have been a coincidence, but I doubt it.
X
Last edited:
I believe they are receptive to "in the area" e-mails. I sent one last year and received an interview invite that week. That may have been a coincidence, but I doubt it.
I'm pretty sure I remember someone else in this thread mentioning that they had sent an in the area email and it had gone well but i could be wrong. i'd go for it though. i can't imagine a school deciding not to interview you just because you sent one unless you sent a really terrible and demanding one or something.
Why not expecting much? Stats at least look decent
Out of state and GPA is below average admitted. No ties to UC, I just really like the school haha.
I believe they are receptive to "in the area" e-mails. I sent one last year and received an interview invite that week. That may have been a coincidence, but I doubt it.
Same experience. No coincidence, I'm sure. 🙂
Hey OP, I sent an "in the area" email a few days back and have not received word one way or the other.
They may be reviewing you. I didn't hear anything for a few days either.
I wrote the same to another school, and had an email the very next morning saying I could always reschedule if I was granted an interview. They obviously didn't look, but at least they were quick about telling me no.
X
Last edited:
Does anybody know if UC is receptive to "in the area" emails? I have an interview at OSU and would love to be able to interview at UC around the same time so I don't have to spend another $450 dollars for a plane ticket to Ohio.
One thing to note: Because of the MMIs, they interview only a couple of times a month. I was lucky to be assigned one in the same week as my other interview, but it's possible that the dates will not coincide even if you are offered something. Still, coming from OOS, like you, it was a better deal to hang around for a few days than to fly back and come back for another date! I am very appreciative of their consideration - this is NOT a cheap process.
I received the "next day" email as well when I contacted OSU. Oh well, it was worth a shot.
Definitely! I don't imagine it does any harm at any school. It's a very common request, from what I understand.
What are these "in the area" emails you people are talking about? Are you really saying you're going to be in town in order to get the adcom to review your file quicker and send you an invite... and it's working?
Yeah, but anyone thats doing that probably has an interview at Case or OSU which are both very competitive schools, so its not like these people are getting interviews they would not have gotten anyways.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, but anyone thats doing that probably has an interview at Case or OSU which are both very competitive schools, so its not like these people are getting interviews they would not have gotten anyways.
What if I just drive to UC and send an e-mail from the parking lot?
What if I just drive to UC and send an e-mail from the parking lot?
I think you would be sleeping in your car for quite some time

What are these "in the area" emails you people are talking about? Are you really saying you're going to be in town in order to get the adcom to review your file quicker and send you an invite... and it's working?
I already had an interview at OSU, so I emailed them and said that if they were going to interview me anyway, then it would be good to do it around the time of my OSU interview so I could save money on flights. I've only sent in the area emails to schools that are close to schools I already have an interview with.
TWIST - UC's interview confirmation has some minor secondary-esque questions (i.e. discuss research experience, work experience, explain poor academic or MCAT performance). Nothing too intense but I wasn't expecting it! In any case, I'm interview on 9/14 - can't wait!
II today! Struggling to find a way to attend either of the first two dates, might have to reschedule to Oct 5. Do chances decrease not being an early interviewee at Cincinnati? Previous posts made it seem as if the earliest interviews have significant advantages for OOS applicants.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K