2013-2014 APPIC (internship) Phase II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think they can have an open house per APPIC rules, or perhaps they can but it's strongly discouraged by APPIC. I am curious to know what they do too.

Members don't see this ad.

Chiming in to say I'm a Clinical PsyD (housed in an academic department of a university). We had about 1/3 of our applicants not match this year. Sort of a mixed bag - some who I'm not surprised didn't match, some where it's really a shock. (I'd put myself about halfway in between - I don't feel shocked that I didn't match, but it seems like most of the people who've worked with me were!)

Reactions: 1 user
Chiming in to say I'm a Clinical PsyD (housed in an academic department of a university). We had about 1/3 of our applicants not match this year. Sort of a mixed bag - some who I'm not surprised didn't match, some where it's really a shock. (I'd put myself about halfway in between - I don't feel shocked that I didn't match, but it seems like most of the people who've worked with me were!)
Hi SmithPsy24, I feel the same way completely. My DCT and Practicum Supervisors thought I was joking when I told them I didn't match! Mostly because they felt the end result on ranking weighs heavily on "personality" and the interview. I am completely dumbfounded by this process. I got interviews at heavy PhD research programs, and rejections at places I felt were a perfect match....?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi SmithPsy24, I feel the same way completely. My DCT and Practicum Supervisors thought I was joking when I told them I didn't match! Mostly because they felt the end result on ranking weighs heavily on "personality" and the interview. I am completely dumbfounded by this process. I got interviews at heavy PhD research programs, and rejections at places I felt were a perfect match....?
One of the things that makes this process so befuddling is that it can be a fact that your faculty and supervisors think you are an excellent candidate and certain to match--and you don't. It is not because they are wrong about your qualifications or caliber of your work; it is because they can't have a full or clear view of factors that can be an integral part of the algorithm in clinical sites and those factors can make the difference of a where you fall on a ranking list. Everyone ranked COULD be a fit and you may have fallen just one rank short at multiple places. Elements like locally useful second language, topic of the dissertation, progress on the dissertation, group facilitation skills acquired on practicum, tests you are accomplished with, etc., all can be a factors that contribute to incremental differences. Realistically, there are people in Match II who are better prepared than those who matched in round I, but the variables in play are complex and these are the hard facts of where we are in the profession right now.

Focus on how to have a positive perspective and resilience for any interviews you get in Phase II. Or resolve how you can make waiting a year work to your advantage. This board has some good survivor stories to help that process.

Reactions: 3 users
One of the things that makes this process so befuddling is that it can be a fact that your faculty and supervisors think you are an excellent candidate and certain to match--and you don't. It is not because they are wrong about your qualifications or caliber of your work; it is because they can't have a full or clear view of factors that can be an integral part of the algorithm in clinical sites and those factors can make the difference of a where you fall on a ranking list. Everyone ranked COULD be a fit and you may have fallen just one rank short at multiple places. Elements like locally useful second language, topic of the dissertation, progress on the dissertation, group facilitation skills acquired on practicum, tests you are accomplished with, etc., all can be a factors that contribute to incremental differences. Realistically, there are people in Match II who are better prepared than those who matched in round I, but the variables in play are complex and these are the hard facts of where we are in the profession right now.

Focus on how to have a positive perspective and resilience for any interviews you get in Phase II. Or resolve how you can make waiting a year work to your advantage. This board has some good survivor stories to help that process.

Thanks. This is helpful to read and makes a lot of sense. I have my first phase II interview tomorrow. I just did a mock interview with a cohort member (who matched to a very competitive site) and found it extremely helpful.

Last edited:
so, there are still a few sites taking apps.....but I'm so burned out. i feel like i have the fortitude to handle the rejection from the 10 phase II sites i already applied to---i don't know that i can push through much more than that. don't wanna be kicking myself later tho--is ne one else still sending out apps? i have pretty broad experience, so there were def more than 10 that would be relevant....

so, there are still a few sites taking apps.....but I'm so burned out. i feel like i have the fortitude to handle the rejection from the 10 phase II sites i already applied to---i don't know that i can push through much more than that. don't wanna be kicking myself later tho--is ne one else still sending out apps? i have pretty broad experience, so there were def more than 10 that would be relevant....

At this point, I think I am done. What sites are still taking apps? If there is a site that matches with your interest, go ahead and apply. You have nothing to lose.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

How do you know which sites are still taking apps?

You can go in to the APPIC application site, program designations, search by state and it will state "closed" in red if the site is no longer accepting applications.

Unexpected Sunday night email. Interview invite Stony Brook University.

Reactions: 4 users
Got an American Lake interview invite last night. 20 minute phone interview. There 28 finalists for the 4 spots.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got a call from SUNY Albany for an interview. They said that they sent me an e-mail but I did not receive it, I even checked my spam folder but nothing. Hmm.

Members don't see this ad :)
My only news this past weekend was an e-mail from Boys Town asking for details about some of my coursework... So I spent most of the day Saturday locating old syllabi and scanning them to send to the TD to show that I have had coursework in the areas they were concerned about. Going to be bummed if I don't get an interview after that!

me too!!!

You seem like you're on roll psychrat!

My only news this past weekend was an e-mail from Boys Town asking for details about some of my coursework... So I spent most of the day Saturday locating old syllabi and scanning them to send to the TD to show that I have had coursework in the areas they were concerned about. Going to be bummed if I don't get an interview after that!

I would take it as a positive sign. Considering how many applications they probably received, the fact that they are taking the time to review your application at that level of detail, and still consider you despite questions about your coursework, must mean they REALLY like you.

For which track? I received an email from them asking for course work on Thursday and then an interview invite on friday. So it looks good that you'll get an interview as well

good luck. They definitely sound interested, so that is a good sign

For which track? I received an email from them asking for course work on Thursday and then an interview invite on friday. So it looks good that you'll get an interview as well

It was a good sign! Got 2 interviews in the course of 2 minutes this afternoon. Phone call to interview at NYPresbyterian/Weill-Cornell and an e-mail from Boys Town Grand Island offering several available times for a 20 minute interview.

Now the pre-interview nerves starting to resurface...

Reactions: 2 users
It was a good sign! Got 2 interviews in the course of 2 minutes this afternoon. Phone call to interview at NYPresbyterian/Weill-Cornell and an e-mail from Boys Town Grand Island offering several available times for a 20 minute interview.

Now the pre-interview nerves starting to resurface...

yay! Good luck. I am also feeling nervous. I feel like my confidence took a dive from not matching in phase I. Practicing relaxation techniques :)

Landed two interviews - One APA-accredited, one APPIC.

Are there stats on the average number of applicants offered an interview per site?

Hey everyone, another phase 2er here. Waiting on some replies from sites in CA and FL. Anybody else apply in either state?

None left in either state, sorry.

Personally, I'm stressed because the "extra year" advice doesn't really apply to me. I already had to do an extra year because I struggled with one of my comps. My dissertation is defended and I'm working on publication. I've done an additional practicum and clinic team compared with much of my cohort, and I still wasn't a good match. I mean, I can obviously see some inadequacies in my application, no doubt, but I honestly don't see how I can change them. :nailbiting:

Hey everyone, another phase 2er here. Waiting on some replies from sites in CA and FL. Anybody else apply in either state?

I am still waiting to hear from 4 in California and 3 in Florida. I haven't seen anyone else post on here that they've received interviews at any of these places so I'm remaining optimistic...

What sites are you applying to in Cali and Fl if you don't mind me asking? My wife has applied to two in each state. Not sure of the names but the two in Cali are in LA and San Diego

I am still waiting to hear from 4 in California and 3 in Florida. I haven't seen anyone else post on here that they've received interviews at any of these places so I'm remaining optimistic...

I did not hear from any CA sites either

Got an American Lake interview invite last night. 20 minute phone interview. There 28 finalists for the 4 spots.
Me too! I almost replied with times last night but was worried that they would find it odd that someone in the eastern time zone replied at 2am :)

In CA - FCI Terminal Island, VA San Diego and Pacific Clinics (all APA)
In FL - Geocare, Manatee Glens, Forensic Expert Evaluations (all APPIC)

I also applied to CAPIC sites. I kinda did things backwards and was really geographically restricted the first round because we own a house, my husband has a good job, etc. But I really don't want to have to wait another year so I extended the search a bit. We'll make it work if we have to move but all of this waiting is killing me!

Hi, I applied to FL and CA. I haven't heard anything from any one yet for that matter. Hope to get something soon!

Congratulations"jz112, post: 14967122, member: 282245"]Landed two interviews - One APA-accredited, one APPIC.

Are there stats on the average number of applicants offered an interview per site?[/quote]
Congrats! where are your interviews at?

According to the stats each position was ranked almost 10 times. this suggest probably around 10 people per position were interviewed [making assumptions there]

Glad I'm not the only one who hasn't heard anything! I guess... I mean, it would be great if we all heard something but I'm a little calmer knowing that the sites probably haven't sent anything out yet.

In CA - FCI Terminal Island, VA San Diego and Pacific Clinics (all APA)
In FL - Geocare, Manatee Glens, Forensic Expert Evaluations (all APPIC)

I also applied to CAPIC sites. I kinda did things backwards and was really geographically restricted the first round because we own a house, my husband has a good job, etc. But I really don't want to have to wait another year so I extended the search a bit. We'll make it work if we have to move but all of this waiting is killing me!

I'm waiting on those same CA sites, and the VA in Orlando.

Glad I'm not the only one who hasn't heard anything! I guess... I mean, it would be great if we all heard something but I'm a little calmer knowing that the sites probably haven't sent anything out yet.

I haven't heard a peep yet...getting a feeling this is going to be a similar experience to Phase I again :(

I complied a list of sites that extended interviews thus far. There are still tons of sites that none of us have heard from:

Interviews Invite list:

Walla Walla VA
Kansas State University
State University of New York Albany
State University of New York Stony Brook
American Lake VA
NYPresbyterian/Weill-Cornell
Boys Town Grand Island
Horizon Health Network
Atlanta VA
Visiting Mental Health
University of Idaho
Devereux Massachusetts
Pacific Clinics in California (child track)
Chestnut Hill College
ShoreHaven
Connections Day School and TeamCare Behavioral Health
WellSpan
Smith & White
Pennsylvania Comprehensive Behavioral Health Services
Institute for Child and Family Health Infant Mental Health
Andrus Children's Center
Ravenhill
Belmont Outpatient Program
TEAMcare
CNNH
Rost & Associates
Northern Childrens Services
Iron Mountain VA
UCSD/VA interview (VA family/Rady track)
Wilmington VA
Northeast Oklahoma Psychology Internship Program - Forensic track
Heart of America - Royal Oaks Hospital track
Joseph J Peters (Immaculata)
Family Psychological Center, PA (Heart of America)
Florida State University - Regional Multidisciplinary Evaluation and Consulting Center!!

Last edited:
Spoke too soon earlier, just got a personalized e-mail invite to interview from the Atlanta VA!

It's hard to be positive right now but let's keep in mind that the deadline was Thursday and some sites extended theirs so we still have time. That doesn't mean that I don't want to call all of them and encourage them to hurry up but I'm trying to channel my energy into other things... like posting here :)

Add Visiting Mental Health to the list... phone call earlier today

Oh yeah, that one was on my list too. Guess I'm not getting an interview there.

Good for you though!!

congrats on interviews, everyone. i don't have any new sites to add, but as a newbie here: quick question on the personalized versus mass email distinction. what does the it mean strategically? also, for those of you who applied to VA sites, do you all have VA experience?

Doesn't seem like anyone mentioned it so far, but I got an invite to University of Idaho on Saturday (3/1) afternoon.

It was sent as an email attachment, which was dated 2/28, and was not personalized.

congrats on interviews, everyone. i don't have any new sites to add, but as a newbie here: quick question on the personalized versus mass email distinction. what does the it mean strategically? also, for those of you who applied to VA sites, do you all have VA experience?
To me, if it's personalized it may indicate that they are sending out invitations as they select applicants, or that they haven't gotten around to typing up my invitation yet... Either way it gives me hope that my invitation will still come. I have applied to a lot of VAs, both in Phase I and Phase II, and I do not have VA experience (although I have extensive experience in a hospital). Fair or not, I am certain not having VA experience has been a hindrance. A classmate with much fewer hours and integrated reports, but with VA experience, got a lot more interviews than I did in phase I . On interviews, most of the other interviewees had VA experience. It is not impossible to get a VA internship without experience, but it is certainly harder.

@aloeplant mass means that all the invites were sent out at once. This means that if you didn't receive the email and you applied, you probably aren't getting an invite. Personalized means that they are in the process of sending out invites so others invites maybe on their way.

Hey all. I received a request for a treatment summary from the Child Guidance Center of a Southern Connecticut on Feb 28th and a personalized email invitation for a phone interview with Devereux Massachusetts last night.

To me, if it's personalized it may indicate that they are sending out invitations as they select applicants, or that they haven't gotten around to typing up my invitation yet... Either way it gives me hope that my invitation will still come. I have applied to a lot of VAs, both in Phase I and Phase II, and I do not have VA experience (although I have extensive experience in a hospital). Fair or not, I am certain not having VA experience has been a hindrance. A classmate with much fewer hours and integrated reports, but with VA experience, got a lot more interviews than I did in phase I . On interviews, most of the other interviewees had VA experience. It is not impossible to get a VA internship without experience, but it is certainly harder.
thanks, ShakeyD. hoping good things for you in phase ii.