2013-2014 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not really. Always felt like interviewing was my strength though. Good point you 're making: maybe I 'm wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

Three interview invites means you have a solid app. Did anyone do any interview prep with you beforehand?
Sorry, shoulda quoted. Not really. Always felt like interviewing was my strength though. Good point you 're making: maybe I 'm wrong.

While I have acceptances, none of them are in the same area as my spouse (or near) ...is it panic when you don't know if you get to live with your kids??

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, shoulda quoted. Not really. Always felt like interviewing was my strength though. Good point you 're making: maybe I 'm wrong.

I'm sure you're not wrong. There was a wonderful post here at the beginning of app season with advice for low-stats applicants like myself. I wish I could pull it up. Anyway, it discussed not squandering interview invites and to get pre-med advisers or friends who have successfully survived the gauntlet to conduct several mock interviews with you. You really have to sell yourself at every given opportunity. Had I not been told that, I would have had a very different interview approach. I'd like to think I'm nice and decent to talk to but the medical school interview requires you to be personable and make a sell.

While I have acceptances, none of them are in the same area as my spouse (or near) ...is it panic when you don't know if you get to live with your kids??

Yes. That's rough.

I'm sure you're not wrong. There was a wonderful post here at the beginning of app season with advice for low-stats applicants like myself. I wish I could pull it up. Anyway, it discussed not squandering interview invites and to get pre-med advisers or friends who have successfully survived the gauntlet to conduct several mock interviews with you. You really have to sell yourself at every given opportunity. Had I not been told that, I would have had a very different interview approach. I'd like to think I'm nice and decent to talk to but the medical school interview requires you to be personable and make a sell.

Yes. That's rough.
Well put. I'll do that. I watched the Kevin Ahearn youtube but thats it.

Well put. I'll do that. I watched the Kevin Ahearn youtube but thats it.

Let me try to pull up that low-stats applicant thread. Regardless of your stats, there was some fantastic advice that I think would be useful/comforting to the folks on this thread.

Let me try to pull up that low-stats applicant thread. Regardless of your stats, there was some fantastic advice that I think would be useful/comforting to the folks on this thread.
Sounds great! Thanks!

Now, that person is a doctor at Mass. General, and a prof. at Harvard Medical School. Boom! That's life.

That's clearly a fictional person. SDN said anything academic must come from top 20. 0/10 would not read again

Sounds great! Thanks!

So I've searched and searched for this thread and can't find it. The gist about interviews (which made a big impact on me) was that there will be applicants who have at least four interviews. Those of us with low stats should be thankful for any interview we get. Thus, we can't blow an interview or treat one like "practice."

He mentioned to do several mock interviews and extensive research on each school. Not only give reasons for why you'd attend but how you'd be a good fit and asset to the school. Make sure to highlight experiences that would leave an impression in the interviewers' minds. You have to nail the "Why medicine?" question or it's over no matter what. Be yourself but remain mindful that you are making a sell for why they should admit you. Make sure you can make any question into a highlight of a strength. We can talk about this on PM if that would be at all helpful?

Reactions: 1 user
Attended an interview this week at a school that openly told us that they have filled there class and that we were interviewing for a WL position. On top of that, I think I said something that is probably going to screw me over.

Just sent an update+LOI combo letter to all schools I am still pending on (pre- and post-interview). Don't know how much it's going to help but at least provided me a temporary period of mental stability before the paranoid started to creeping up again (i.e. now).

Reactions: 2 users
What improvements did you make? Congrats btw.

I applied earlier, first and foremost. The feedback I got back on my first PS was that it was not the best thing since sliced bread, so I found a reviewer I trusted and we slammed the essay thing for months to clean it up. I added a LOR from a volunteer position that was new the first time around, and added a second, more "clinical" flavored, volunteer position. I was also lucky enough to get a few more pubs from a job I had before my post-bac , as well as a first author poster I presented at a small meeting.

Attended an interview this week at a school that openly told us that they have filled there class and that we were interviewing for a WL position. On top of that, I think I said something that is probably going to screw me over.
Did you know this before the interview?If not I think they should tell that to people, there is time and money spent for these interviews. Could you share the name of the school?
How do you think you screwed up the interview? Sorry about your experience, I think it stinks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you know this before the interview?If not I think they should tell that to people, there is time and money spent for these interviews. Could you share the name of the school?
How do you think you screwed up the interview? Sorry about your experience, I think it stinks!

Thank You. The school was nice enough to send an email a few weeks ago letting us know that the class was full but they were still going to continue interviewing for WL. I dont have an acceptance right now so I still decided to attend the interview. The school was University of KY.

yes it is, that's nerve wracking, congrats on your acceptances!

Thank You. The school was nice enough to send an email a few weeks ago letting us know that the class was full but they were still going to continue interviewing for WL. I dont have an acceptance right now so I still decided to attend the interview. The school was University of KY.
Wishing you the best! Hope things work out

How did you improve your app?

Got a job lol. Then picked up two volunteer positions. One was a clinical position and the other was non clinical. I also forgot to add an important experience on my last app that I included this time around, which helped a bit. Uhm I also tutor on the side a few hours a week. Also, I realized you really have to tailor your essays to whatever schools you are applying to and sell yourself well.

I used the same PS fwiw. If you need me to look over anything, I don't mind providing feedback.

Applying late has more of an effect than people think.
I'm learning this from experience this time! LOL. But I did hear from another school today: rejected for an incomplete application despite receiving confirmation that my application was complete months ago. I just have to laugh, I liked the school but do I really want to bother sorting this out? Maybe I dodged a bullet.

I still haven't heard ANYTHING from 13 schools (applied to 25)!!!!
They are most likely going to be rejections. Its evil for these schools to keep stringing you along! I wish they would just say "we dont like you" and reject you during the cycle instead to waiting till at the end of the cycle!

That's rough. I hope you get some good news!

That's rough. I hope you get some good news!

+1 February seems to be a big month for adcoms. At least from my experience 4 schools have gotten back to me just within the past few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have yet to get an II from the 2 schools I applied to. My chief reason for waiting was because I had a job lined up, that it turns out, I didn't end up getting. Now however I have a job as well as clinical volunteering. Should I send the schools an updated LOI with this information or would that be pointless?

I still have yet to get an II from the 2 schools I applied to. My chief reason for waiting was because I had a job lined up, that it turns out, I didn't end up getting. Now however I have a job as well as clinical volunteering. Should I send the schools an updated LOI with this information or would that be pointless?

It really depends on the schools, so I think it's best for you to look on the school-specific threads. Some accept update letters/LOIs and others prefer that you don't send anything pre-interview.

Meanwhile.... I'm over here setting up MCAT tutor sessions. Being realistic at this point. Hopefully I won't have to see this thread next go round. Third time's the charm I suppose. *heavy sigh*

I don't understand this process. I was interviewed by a few schools with MCAT averages between 2-6 points higher than mine. Why would you interview me if you have no intention of taking me? I have a waitlist from one and the other two release within the next 2-4 weeks. I am slowly melting away.

I don't understand this process. I was interviewed by a few schools with MCAT averages between 2-6 points higher than mine. Why would you interview me if you have no intention of taking me? I have a waitlist from one and the other two release within the next 2-4 weeks. I am slowly melting away.

Because they saw something in your app that they truly liked and that stacked up in their minds to your eventually being as good a physician as those applicants with 2-6 more MCAT points.

I really liked how LizzyM said to treat each interview as if it's your only one. If you were invited, they thought you had as great a shot of being a member of their class as anyone else unless it was explicitly for a waitlist interview. Chin up, buttercup. If you were prepared and positive during the interview, you are likely getting an acceptance this cycle.

Received a rejection yesterday. I ain't even mad. Just glad I can cross that school off my list.

I guess this weekend it's the time for relax before the era of decisions/mass rejections panic mode commence in March!

I guess this weekend it's the time for relax before the era of decisions/mass rejections panic mode commence in March!

Hopefully there are a few acceptances trickled in there for a few of us.

Is it weird that Im kind of numb to the whole waiting thing? Almost as if I have stopped caring what happens and it really scares me!

Hopefully there are a few acceptances trickled in there for a few of us.

Is it weird that Im kind of numb to the whole waiting thing? Almost as if I have stopped caring what happens and it really scares me!
Naw. I think you have to be ... or else there would be a lot of 20-somethings with grey hair. :confused: I couldn't function if the stress stayed constant for 10+ months.

New low: I went to one of the most famous psychics in my city yesterday to ask about medical school. Good news? The guy told me (I think) that I'd get into medical school - he talked really fast but maybe this year? - and meet my husband there...

I wish it were true. One hand, hey! The guy said I was going to get in! It has to happen, right? But on the other, I can't help thinking he's full of crap when at the only school that interviewed me I'm at/slightly above/slightly below their 10th percentile for their MCAT/cGPA/sGPA...Sigh...

Last edited:
Apply for the first time and fail - sucks but okay it's understandable
Apply for a second time and fail again - I should kill myself

GOK <3 & Chillaxbro - I understand how frustrating this process is. Every time your inbox (1) pops up, you frantically check your email. I get it. As a re-applicant myself, I understand and have been in your situation. Don't ever, ever give up. I know it feels like you have nothing left, but keep going.

Last edited:
GOK <3 & Chillaxbro - I understand how frustrating this process is. Every time your inbox (1) pops up, you frantically check your email.

That actually made my blood pressure go up and I tried clicking it on impulse loloolol

Reactions: 4 users

:( It's really hard. Many people get in on their third shot. I remember reading stories of third and fourth time applicants and thinking that they're amazing to be able to make it after such trial and hardship. Just remember, when you do make it, you'll deserve infinite amounts of respect for your perseverance .

Reactions: 4 users

Maybe shell out time and money for some interview coaching? Seems to be your limiting factor since you have plenty of interviews (so your app is probably strong).

Or you could try what I did and apply to schools with LizzyM stats way below yours so that even with a lukewarm interview your stats get you in. As you can see, I'm not a good interviewer (MDApps) and I've gotten into places where my interviews weren't stellar but I think my stats saved me.

Maybe shell out time and money for some interview coaching? Seems to be your limiting factor since you have plenty of interviews (so your app is probably strong)

My undergrad institution offered mock-interviews that helped prepare me. Maybe your school offers the same resources.

My undergrad institution offered mock-interviews that helped prepare me. Maybe your school offers the same resources.

I would trust SDN's annual mock interview service more. They're from people we recognize that are part of the admissions process, or at least have some experience with it. My undergrad's mock interview service was...less helpful, mostly because none of them know anything about the admissions game.

I would trust SDN's annual mock interview service more. They're from people we recognize that are part of the admissions process, or at least have some experience with it. My undergrad's mock interview service was...less helpful, mostly because none of them know anything about the admissions game.

I had a lot of friends tell me to stay away from my school's pre-med advisors because 1) you can only really advise someone if you've actually gone through this process and 2) most of my advisors trained themselves through books/articles.

My pre-med "advisors" were totally and utterly useless. If it comes to reapplication, I am sure many of us will be much better prepared simply having lived through the process once.

Reactions: 3 users
That is really unfortunate that some of you had such bad experiences with your school's Pre-Health Advising Services. My school's services were very helpful when preparing my reapplication in terms of crafting my AMCAS experiences, revising my personal statement, and conducting mock traditional and MMI Interviews.

My pre-med "advisors" were totally and utterly useless. If it comes to reapplication, I am sure many of us will be much better prepared simply having lived through the process once.
Another resource is the schools that rejected you. Call and talk to them about what went wrong and how you could improve. At least you'll go into the next app cycle with some type of useful knowledge of what else you can do.

For all of you still waiting: never give up, never surrender!

Hopefully expecting a decision this week (thought it would be two weeks ago but nothing). So maybe this week will be the week I finally get that first post interview response. pls

That is really unfortunate that some of you had such bad experiences with your school's Pre-Health Advising Services. My school's services were very helpful when preparing my reapplication in terms of crafting my AMCAS experiences, revising my personal statement, and conducting mock traditional and MMI Interviews.

Definitely the ideal case scenario. Personal research and consulting with those who have already been through the process I feel is honestly the best bet.

Wishing the best for all who are still waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back again. It's nearly March and so far: 4 waitlists, waiting for one interview result, 2 rejections, and the rest of the 13 I applied have given me nothing. Granted, I know that there are other people who haven't gotten an interview, or only got one or two, so maybe I should feel a little bit better. But I still don't have a single acceptance yet. Given how much I've busted my butt academically, clinically, and extracurricular-ly, I have zero clue what I'm not doing right.

Just found out that one of my friends got into vet school, couldn't be happier for him! However, here I am saying "no news" for the billionth time....

Hurts more than a rejection.