2013-2014 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still hoping for more IIs here. No acceptances yet.

Members don't see this ad.

after only one interview,
haven't heard from anyone else.
Any advice on next steps? DO, SMP's? this is depressing.

Reactions: 1 user
What Beaverhausen said. It's only a no when you stop trying. Until then, it's a challenge.

I might be a slightly deranged pre-med, but it got me through a reapplication.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You seriously can't lose hope. I only had two interviews, one Wait list and didn't hear back from ANY of the other 8 schools I've applied to. Yesterday I finally got accepted to the second school when I was thinking I was just going to start hearing all rejections.

Panic is my specialty (to the point that it took me forever to join SDN, not wanting added stress of other people) but it definitely gets things done!

Reactions: 4 users
LOL...As if the battle to get into med school weren't tough enough, I'm also fighting (and usually losing) the battle against feeling sorry for myself.

I know I'm in better shape than many. I know that I did get 3 MD iis. I know that even though two of them resulted in rejections, one resulted in a wait list, even if not the priority one, which is a good thing. I know I'm still pre-interview at 5 MD schools, which means there's a shot, however small. I know that I was lucky to have had enough foresight (despite believing it would never come to that) to have applied to 3 DO schools, one of which has already interviewed me, and one interview coming up. I know all that.

Plenty are more deserving of panic than I.

But:

I also know that this is my second cycle. I know I'm an old non-trad, and my age is a massive factor: Med schools don't want to invest in someone who'll likely have a significantly shorter career than that of a younger applicant (this has been articulated to me several times by med school professors and former adcom members).

I know I've received no acceptances yet, MD or DO. MD windows are closing fast, and I can't take DO acceptances for granted at this point.

To whatever degree my age is hurting me now, it'll only hurt me even more if I don't get in now and apply for a third cycle.

Crap. Lost the battle again.

Sigh.

Last edited:
LOL...As if the battle to get into med school weren't tough enough, I'm also fighting (and usually losing) the battle against feeling sorry for myself.

I know I'm in better shape than many. I know that I did get 3 MD iis. I know that even though two of them resulted in rejections, one resulted in a wait list, even if not the priority one, which is a good thing. I know I'm still pre-interview at 5 MD schools, which means there's a shot, however small. I know that I was lucky to have had enough foresight (despite believing it would never come to that) to have applied to 3 DO schools, one of which has already interviewed me, and one interview coming up. I know all that.

But:

I also know that this is my second cycle. I know I'm an old non-trad, and my age is a massive factor: Med schools don't want to invest in someone who'll likely have a significantly shorter career than that of a younger applicant (this has been articulated to me several times by med school professors and former adcom members).

I know I've received no acceptances yet, MD or DO. MD windows are closing fast, and I can't take DO acceptances for granted at this point.

To whatever degree my age is hurting me now, it'll only hurt me even more if I don't get in now and apply for a third cycle.

Sigh.
You only lose the battle if you give up. Try again.

No word yet from Cornell or BU. Deferred from state school.

Keeping my fingers crossed. :hungover:

I've been lurking from afar for some time (because I've been silently panicking since November), and I think it's about time I join in.

First-time applicant. Applied to 21 schools: Received 3 II resulting in two waitlists and one where I'm still waiting on a post-interview decision (although I'm not holding out much hope for an acceptance, or even a waitlist). I'm still holding out for at least one more II from one school, but I'm slowly starting to phase into reapplication mode, starting with studying for an MCAT retake.

I truly hope things work out for everyone! And congratulations to those who were accepted after panicking! :)

But:

Sigh.

Hang in there - we've all been where you're at mentally and emotionally. I've found that the best way to not feel sorry for yourself is to not give yourself time to. Stay busy and do things you're proud of. Pursuing medicine is important, but you're so much more than just an aspiring medical student.

I've been lurking from afar for some time (because I've been silently panicking since November), and I think it's about time I join in.

First-time applicant. Applied to 21 schools: Received 3 II resulting in two waitlists and one where I'm still waiting on a post-interview decision (although I'm not holding out much hope for an acceptance, or even a waitlist). I'm still holding out for at least one more II from one school, but I'm slowly starting to phase into reapplication mode, starting with studying for an MCAT retake.

I truly hope things work out for everyone! And congratulations to those who were accepted after panicking! :)

You're among friends :) We have similar experiences - I applied to 20, 2 IIs, 1 wait list and 1 post-interview decision pending. Also holding out hope for 1 more II. Waiting is the toughest part, but I keep telling myself that within a month, we could be accepted and all of the worrying will have been for nothing. When are you expecting to hear back on that third decision? I'll keep some positive thoughts for you - best of luck! :)

Reactions: 2 users
You're among friends :) We have similar experiences - I applied to 20, 2 IIs, 1 wait list and 1 post-interview decision pending. Also holding out hope for 1 more II. Waiting is the toughest part, but I keep telling myself that within a month, we could be accepted and all of the worrying will have been for nothing. When are you expecting to hear back on that third decision? I'll keep some positive thoughts for you - best of luck! :)

Thank you for your kind words and wishes. You are absolutely right in that all of this panic may be for nothing, especially with some of the success stories I've read. I have always been (at least I see myself as) a patient person, but the waiting has really tested my patience as I'm sure it has for others. It wasn't until now until I realized what true patience is and I have been greatly humbled by this process. I know that our determination will help us through to reach our goal, and will make us better future docs in the process.

Regarding my final post-interview decision, I'm supposed to hear back sometime in mid-March whether I'm accepted, waitlisted or rejected. I see that you still are waiting for a post-interview decision. I am rooting for you and sending positive thoughts your way! I also wish you the best of luck!

After a long, silently stressful process.. Had one interview and an acceptance!! Time to enjoy the rest of senior year. Best of luck to the rest of you!

Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is sometimes a little frustrating when the same older people from Church ask me about my applications. At Church, I actually phase out off the whole applications process, and I am brought back into my sad reality of no acceptance yet every Sunday. Sometimes..I just feel like telling them, "I didn't have an acceptance last Sunday. So, what makes you think that I will suddenly have one this Sunday?! But I will definitely let you know when I hear back something positive. Bye." In reality though, I just say a nice "No, nothing yet!" and nod my head in sadness.

It is sometimes a little frustrating when the same older people from Church ask me about my applications. At Church, I actually phase out off the whole applications process, and I am brought back into my sad reality of no acceptance yet every Sunday. Sometimes..I just feel like telling them, "I didn't have an acceptance last Sunday. So, what makes you think that I will suddenly have one this Sunday?! But I will definitely let you know when I hear back something positive. Bye." In reality though, I just say a nice "No, nothing yet!" and nod my head in sadness.

Not that you should be baggin' on the old church biddies, I'm sure they mean well, but maybe you can express some of this feeling to them in a polite way. Like, "I appreciate your concern, but I come to this space to reflect on the more important things in my life and to meditate on how to be a better person (something like that, I'm not a regular church-goer, but I'm guessing you mediate and reflect and pray and stuff). When I have something to be grateful for, I will share it with the community that has provided me so much support." I'm sure they don't mean to intrude on your safe space, so just give them a little head's up and maybe they'll back off?

I just told all my acquaintances that I won't know until August 2014! Keep repeating it whenever you get asked lol

If we don't get in this time around maybe we can get good at something like this:

Looks like I have to choose between living with my family or going to medical school.

I am living my worst case scenario- I don't know what to do.
To say that I am down is putting it mildly

Looks like I have to choose between living with my family or going to medical school.

My condolescences, I can't imagine what it's like having to make the decision between raising my family and med school.

Oh man...

Either decision is a blessing with a promising future. Regret nothing. Good luck.

It's cynically entertaining to be in the company of other panicking hopefuls.
This cycle I applied to 13 MD's and received 2 interviews, wait listed at both.
2nd time applying.
If someone tells me to 'pursue a different career field', asks me 'have you considered PA school?', or if I have to hear 'ya know with Obamacare you really don't want to go into the medical field because...' I am going to have an anxiety breakdown and/or commit an assault.

I was waitlisted from my last school this AM. I don't know what to do. How can I not live with my family? How can I face them and tell them that I wasted all our savings for nothing?

I nearly fainted at work.
I think I will be calling crisis services

I was waitlisted from my last school this AM. I don't know what to do. How can I not live with my family? How can I face them and tell them that I wasted all our savings for nothing?

I nearly fainted at work.
I think I will be calling crisis services

How many wait lists are you on? There's still a good chance you will get in off the waitlist. A large portion of many schools' classes across the country come from the wait list. Even schools with strong reputations, like Ohio State, take >30% of their incoming class from the wait list.

PK, It's really not so bad to move back with your family, assuming they can respect your dilemma and you can find a job in the meantime.

It breaks my heart to see how many schools some have applied to and only ended up with rejections. In some cases, the reasons for the rejections seem obvious …. low gpa/MCAT, international, no extras (as in shadowing, volunteering, clinical, or research), but others are just baffling as to why the rejection. Maybe it was too few schools? Whatever the reason, I wish you'll hear positives about your WLs .

TL: DR The sads

Killed the thread with my sads

Last edited:
Just got my first post-interview decision from a school where the interviewer told me he would love to see me at the school: a WL. Two more decisions to be released in the next 10 days with one interview did not go so well IMO (my first interview) while another was a MMI.

I am trying to not let panic take over and look for other things to do in my free time but cannot stop the paranoid. Anyone have suggestions about how to distract myself from the inevitable?

The distance is not fatal to a relationship. You can still visit on what few breaks you have in medical school and Skype will help a lot. My brother is currently in Afghanistan and his relationship with his long time partner is still quite strong.

Missing out on time with your kids is pretty rough, but you can still call and skype with them. You just won't be able to be in physical contact with them very often. Just make sure to do well in medical school so you can land a residency near/with your family.

Additionally, although your wife is stuck in your current home region because of her school, your children are not. They can come visit you so you have even fewer missed experiences.

Just got my first post-interview decision from a school where the interviewer told me he would love to see me at the school: a WL. Two more decisions to be released in the next 10 days with one interview did not go so well IMO (my first interview) while another was a MMI.

I am trying to not let panic take over and look for other things to do in my free time but cannot stop the paranoid. Anyone have suggestions about how to distract myself from the inevitable?
Wow that's a stressful situation. I feel you .... Good luck!

Take some time to introspect and make your own conclusions. Try to maintain a firm grasp on what either path will mean for you (accepted or NOT)

PK, It's really not so bad to move back with your family, assuming they can respect your dilemma and you can find a job in the meantime.

It breaks my heart to see how many schools some have applied to and only ended up with rejections. In some cases, the reasons for the rejections seem obvious …. low gpa/MCAT, international, no extras (as in shadowing, volunteering, clinical, or research), but others are just baffling as to why the rejection. Maybe it was too few schools? Whatever the reason, I wish you'll hear positives about your WLs .

I think PK is a non-trad who wants to stay with their family, not someone facing sadness over having to go home.

You're not killing us, it's what panic thread is for. This is not a failure, it's just a challenging fork in the road. Be good to yourself, I doubt your family will judge you half as harshly as you are.

Thank you everyone for their kind words. I'm in a less dark place now; I'm so lucky to have married my best friend.

Big sad group hugs for everyone

Reactions: 9 users

You sound really sweet. I hope everything works out for you. It usually does for good people.

Relax a little! No one knows when they will be pulled off a wait list but you can always feel better by watching this video!

Hey everyone, my story (pending passing the background check and finishing graduate school) had an extremely happy ending this year. It's so happy that I wonder if I'm still dreaming. I will be attending an MD program near home next fall. If I were to post my numerical stats as a non-URM on this board (PM for gory details), y'all would have a good laugh at them and tell me that I'd be lucky to get a DO acceptance. Also, I realize how much luck is involved given that I was accepted and many of the amazingly talented and qualified people I've seen on this thread are still waiting for an acceptance. With that said, here are some observations I made that were confirmed by my boss and friends who have sat on admissions committees that I truly hope people can use or at least consider if they need to reapply. I suspect many people here will be hearing good news in the next three months but this process is a long haul.

1) If you're considering reapplication, prepare NOW. Yes, hope springs eternal but you do not, do not, do not want to find yourself in a position come May 15th where you need to reapply and you're sitting on a 27 MCAT or no clinical experience or no volunteering or a crap personal statement that you could have revamped but will now make your AMCAS submission late.

I so, so regret my haphazard MCAT prep/AMCAS submission. I should have made a better study plan to start or sucked it up and followed SN2ED but I didn't. I also submitted my primary in early July and made sure that I made my application cycle that. much. worse. If you know that you had a bad MCAT, start studying now or wait a year. If you think lack of volunteering/clinical experience hurt you, you could easily remedy that in the next two months and still have your primary in on time. Do not assume anything will work out. Think of yourself as the rule and not the exception and you will inevitably be happier. I think it's because you make smarter choices as a result.

2) The interview will make or break your chances. Contrary to popular belief, there aren't people adcoms are just drooling over to accept as long as they can string together coherent sentences and people who they invited simply because they'd ordered 50 boxed lunches and needed four extra people to finish them and 46 applicants who they'd actually consider accepting. Every person I know who has sat on an adcom has said numbers are pretty irrelevant by the interview stage and that everyone is on a roughly equal playing field except for some obvious superstars. They are looking for you to sell yourself here and flesh out that AMCAS app.

They are looking for you to be sincere, to think on your feet and to answer questions correctly. There are right and wrong answers at the interview. This means things like having a favorite fiction book when asked what was the last book you read or to say you'd reapply if asked what you'd do if you weren't accepted this year. Make sure you have a good answer to "Why medicine." This is a must. Have friends who've recently survived the gauntlet successfully interview you. This is key. Too many people squander this opportunity or don't use it at all, which is heartbreaking. You've made it this far. Now be your own spokesperson!

3) Do not be modest. Emphasize how every experience on your application has made you more suited towards succeeding in medicine with concrete examples. If you've shadowed, remember the qualities of the physicians you most admired and emphasize how you've developed those qualities in your activity descriptions, personal statement and interviews. Every opportunity is an opportunity to sell yourself so don't hold back. Modesty will not win you points. Try to find some unifying themes in your journey to medicine (learning to lead, learning to listen, maturing through being pre-med) and emphasize those through your personal statement and activities. Tell your story so it has cohesion and sells why you'd make a great doctor. Everything should fit together so that each experience not only adds to your app but expounds upon these qualities that would make you a great physician. I emphasized an ability to see patterns, intellectual curiosity and empathy in my activities in statement and how all of my experiences helped me develop these qualities.

4) If it didn't work this year, either have a significant change in your app or in how you present yourself. My app didn't change significantly and I applied later this year than I did last year. Hell, I delayed my app for an MCAT retake, only to get the same score last year but with more unbalanced subsections. I just had a much better personal statement and activities section. If you need to reapply, you need to re-start filling your AMCAS from scratch. Sorry. I also wrote some impassioned secondaries if I do say so myself ;) but my numbers were too low to really get that boost from good secondaries. I would trade my nicer activity summaries for an earlier app though. Remember, perfect is the enemy of good.

Finally, some SDN truisms hold so true:

1) You need a good MCAT and/or GPA. Box-checking is fine for EC's. Have a little bit of everything but do not be lacking in clinical experience/community service. EC's, no matter how impressive, never make up for bad numbers.
2) Apply early. It sucks if you're bad at deadlines but just do it this once. You will so thank yourself later. And by early, aim to have all secondaries completed by first week of August at the latest.
3) Letters of interest in November/December can really help. By January, they're too late.
4) Proofread everything. You don't know whether that misplaced "Penn" when you meant to write "Jefferson" could have cost you.

Minimize regrets wherever you can so that you can accept what is at times, a process that is obviously governed by humans who are as prone to mistakes and whimsy as we are. What helped more than anything this cycle is accepting that life isn't fair but it has a way of working out. It's so hard to remember but it's true. I'm a reapplicant. Honestly, I'm so much more prepared to be a great medical student and physician than I was last year. I'm so happy everything worked out this year when I was ready to take advantage of it. Another way of looking at it is that maybe life gives you what you want when you're ready for it. Either way, I acknowledge I got lucky.

Just keep the faith. If you want to be a physician, you will be.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users

You could go by the standard ways of distracting yourself during the wait: get a job working in the healthcare field, volunteer more, read/write a book, look into research opportunities, become a substitute teacher, spend time with family and friends, organize a spring break mission/medical trip to a region in need, travel, volunteer in your local church, exercise, watch Netflix, pursue a hobby of yours unrelated to medicine that you didn't have time to do during college, [insert moral way that med school admission committees expect you to be spending your time waiting], etc.

Or you could choose the alternate way: do hoodrat stuff in your hometown with all your loser high school friends who never pursued further education, drink a whole lot, smoke some of that good good, drink some more, travel to Amsterdam (with no intentions of viewing the scenery/art/history), start a fight club, or hook up with as many ex boyfriends/girlfriends you possibly can (all the while intoxicated of course).

Good luck. Enjoy.

You could go by the standard ways of distracting yourself during the wait: get a job working in the healthcare field, volunteer more, read/write a book, look into research opportunities, become a substitute teacher, spend time with family and friends, organize a spring break mission/medical trip to a region in need, travel, volunteer in your local church, exercise, watch Netflix, pursue a hobby of yours unrelated to medicine that you didn't have time to do during college, [insert moral way that med school admission committees expect you to be spending your time waiting], etc.

Or you could choose the alternate way: do hoodrat stuff in your hometown with all your loser high school friends who never pursued further education, drink a whole lot, smoke some of that good good, drink some more, travel to Amsterdam (with no intentions of viewing the scenery/art/history), start a fight club, or hook up with as many ex boyfriends/girlfriends you possibly can (all the while intoxicated of course).

Good luck. Enjoy.

If you have 3.6/33+, either way works, honestly.

Ugh, all this talk of reapplying is seriously cramping my waitlist optimism. But I know @gumdrops is right and we should start preparing for the reapp *cries*

I had an interviewer tell me he was really excited to see me around next year. Wait listed. I had an MMI interview that I thought went so badly I didn't even bother checking when decisions would be back for it. Accepted. Don't give up just yet!

There's no way your spouse and children can move with you? Remember that you still get to visit during winter break/summer for the first two years, board study time if you get any time off for it, and you can also schedule some rotations/electives at a hospital near home. It definitely won't be 4 years without them! You probably won't even have to go for more than 6 months! Some schools will even expand your financial aid package with some more loans for 2-3 round trip tickets back home each year if you have a family (NYU does this so make sure to ask!).

Ugh, all this talk of reapplying is seriously cramping my waitlist optimism. But I know @gumdrops is right and we should start preparing for the reapp *cries*

So I totally get that it feels like admitting defeat to consider reapplication now. I felt the same last spring. What being pre-med taught me (now I sound really irritating but bear with me) is that to have a plan B is the smart thing to do no matter what the situation. I'm still putting in effort into finishing my graduate thesis although several people have said something along the lines of it being irrelevant to my future career. I'm doing it because I have no clue if that's what could help me land a great residency in the future or who knows? I may not be able to practice medicine due to an unforeseen injury (it has happened to others) or sudden shifts in fate could leave me really needing that degree. Anything can happen.

I'm getting outlandish here but you get the point. Preparation precludes future defeats and makes life a lot, lot easier. It's not an acknowledgment of defeat.

Last edited:
So I totally get that it feels like admitting defeat to consider reapplication now. I felt the same last spring. What being pre-med taught me (now I sound really irritating but bear with me) is that to have a plan B is the smart thing to do no matter what the situation. I'm still putting in effort into finishing my graduate thesis although several people have said something along the lines of it being irrelevant to my future career. I'm doing it because I have no clue if that's what could help me land a great residency in the future or who knows? I may not be able to practice medicine due to an unforeseen injury (it has happened to others) or sudden shifts in fate could leave me really needed that degree. Anything can happen.

I'm getting outlandish here but you get the point. Preparation precludes future defeats and makes life a lot, lot easier. It's not an acknowledgment of defeat.

Definitely. Especially in regards to research. A publication while preparing for a reapp can still be listed on your residency application if it's impactful enough!

I have interviewed at 5 schools (MD) so far and have been put on 4 of their wait lists. I still have yet to hear from the last school. Every time I get wait listed my heart sinks. I feel like I must be a poor interviewer. I feel like all the schools like me enough to interview me but then I have trouble presenting myself in a way that is impressive. I've tried mock interviewing and preparing my answers but it doesn't seem to help all that much. I feel like I have gotten better at interviewing each time but I still don't think I'm amazing. I try to act confident but I guess I am who I am and there's not much I can change at this point.

I have interviewed at 5 schools (MD) so far and have been put on 4 of their wait lists. I still have yet to hear from the last school. Every time I get wait listed my heart sinks. I feel like I must be a poor interviewer. I feel like all the schools like me enough to interview me but then I have trouble presenting myself in a way that is impressive. I've tried mock interviewing and preparing my answers but it doesn't seem to help all that much. I feel like I have gotten better at interviewing each time but I still don't think I'm amazing. I try to act confident but I guess I am who I am and there's not much I can change at this point.

1) Don't try to be "impressive." You landed 5 freaking MD interviews. You ARE impressive. Just be yourself. You clearly have what it takes to be a great physician if so many schools were so responsive to your app.
2) Don't try to prepare answers so that you sound scripted. Definitely have thought about what you'd say to an interviewer but do not sound rehearsed! They want to see that you can level with them and roll with the punches, much as you'd have to with patients. Stay true to yourself but think about how to demonstrate your readiness for medicine and commitment to it without being overbearing.

Eh, why am I writing this? ;) You were a strong enough candidate to get 5 interviews. Odds are you'll be pulled off a waitlist this spring anyway.

Reactions: 4 users
To all my fellow panic threaders, they are still giving out IIs!!! I received one today. There is still hope ppl. May the odds be in your favor. :D

Reactions: 3 users
1) Don't try to be "impressive." You landed 5 freaking MD interviews. You ARE impressive. Just be yourself. You clearly have what it takes to be a great physician if so many schools were so responsive to your app.
2) Don't try to prepare answers so that you sound scripted. Definitely have thought about what you'd say to an interviewer but do not sound rehearsed! They want to see that you can level with them and roll with the punches, much as you'd have to with patients. Stay true to yourself but think about how to demonstrate your readiness for medicine and commitment to it without being overbearing.

Eh, why am I writing this? ;) You were a strong enough candidate to get 5 interviews. Odds are you'll be pulled off a waitlist this spring anyway.
I was going to say something along these lines.

I am not on an adcom, but I am involved in the hiring process for RAs at my school. I remember interviewing a guy who was one of the higher up officers for some premed organization on campus. The interview was bizarre. He spent most of the time listing his accolades and organizations he is involved in and giving canned answers instead of giving useful answers to our questions. At times I felt like I was interviewing a robot that was programmed with certain responses to predicted questions and if I tried asking a question not on his list there was a computer error. He also was not able to give an acceptable reason for wanting the position. The other interviewer and myself both listed him as unhireable.

Your accolades got you the interview, at that point you need to come across as someone the interviewer would like to have as a colleague and someone who will work well with the patients(or in my case the students).

Dying a slow and painful death inside with every passing day, waiting on the slim but not zero possibility of another II and a not promising but semihopeful post-interview decision... I think I am going insane from the wait and faint glimmers of hope. Like dying of thirst and the desert of medical school is taunting me with signs of water...why is there no water? Why?! Just let me be, universe. Let me be.

Seriously, I'm turning crazy.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, just coming to join the panic. After 5 MD interviews and a few MD/PhD interviews, I'm sitting at all waitlists and two SUC's. I kind of figured that a 3.9/mid-30's MCAT and one of those snazzy national scholarships would help yield some more favorable results, but it goes to show that there are no guarantees in this process. Stay strong my waitlist comrades, just a couple more months!