2014-2015 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Are there any HST students on SDN that might be able to talk about their experiences in the program?

I'm entering this year as an HST student (non-MD/PhD) so I might not be too much help until later on in the year, but if you have any questions I will do my best to help or find someone who can. I applied both NP and HST but ultimately chose HST for a variety of reasons.

And good luck to everyone applying! It's a whirlwind. If y'all have any questions about the application process, don't hesitate to message/ask me!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone else still waiting for their letters to be marked received on this secondary? With all my other ones that use this secondary platform it was pretty much instant.
 
Is anyone else still waiting for their letters to be marked received on this secondary? With all my other ones that use this secondary platform it was pretty much instant.

Same here. Letters not received, although other schools received them immediately.
 
Submitted my secondary this morning! Pretty exciting stuff, but still waiting on letters to be updated in their system
 
Would it hurt, for the optional essay, to put in a pre-written autobiography with interesting factors from my background but no absolutely crazy obstacles? Or, is it safer to just leave it blank? Would it be silly to expand upon obstacles mentioned lightly in the primary or leave such expansion to be discussed in a possible interview?
 
Will it be frowned upon if I only apply for the NP pathway and not HST even though I have a significant research background?

No. The NP and HST applications are evaluated independently by different committees. They won't care if you don't apply for the other program. I actually know a few people that got into only NP program primarily because of their significant research background, so no worries!
 
Last edited:
Would it hurt, for the optional essay, to put in a pre-written autobiography with interesting factors from my background but no absolutely crazy obstacles? Or, is it safer to just leave it blank? Would it be silly to expand upon obstacles mentioned lightly in the primary or leave such expansion to be discussed in a possible interview?

A pre-written autobio would most likely not address the question, so I would leave that out. For the obstacles, as long as you are bringing a fresh perspective that hasn't really been touched upon in your primary, feel free to include it. It may be safer to include those obstacles in your optional essay as long as it's high quality and you can write a decent amount, since it's not guaranteed such obstacles will be mentioned during the interview.
 
Just FYI, HST has different requirements than NP.

On the website it says you need 1 year of calc-based physics, and upper level math exposure is recommended. I don't know how stringent this is but I am just letting you guys know.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone else still waiting for their letters to be marked received on this secondary? With all my other ones that use this secondary platform it was pretty much instant.
Same here. Letters not received, although other schools received them immediately.
Submitted my secondary this morning! Pretty exciting stuff, but still waiting on letters to be updated in their system

No letters received here either.
 
Good to know someone else is in the same boat. I haven't gotten one either and I was verified 6/11.

Apparently they send them in batches but i just dont get why they wouldnt just send them all at once since everyone gets one...
 
This is a bit frustrating. I've had my essays pre-written for weeks, but I still haven't gotten a secondary.
 
batches by gpa and mcat? what kind of batches we talking? still havent received mine.

well since some people have received them already it appears to be in batches. i don't know if they're by mcat or gpa though. the cynical paranoid side of me wants to think that but i don't know for sure.
either way its frustratinggggg 🙁
 
well since some people have received them already it appears to be in batches. i don't know if they're by mcat or gpa though. the cynical paranoid side of me wants to think that but i don't know for sure.
either way its frustratinggggg 🙁

I added them last Wednesday. Got secondary the following day. Check your junk mail or something?
 
well since some people have received them already it appears to be in batches. i don't know if they're by mcat or gpa though. the cynical paranoid side of me wants to think that but i don't know for sure.
either way its frustratinggggg 🙁
From another thread, I understand you're applying mstp? Because I'm applying mstp and haven't gotten one either.
 
I believe it's batches to prevent too many people logging in at once and causing server issues, but I'm sure you'll receive it over the next few days! Enjoy your summer with the extra time (or continue writing more secondaries heh)
 
Since the school is non-rolling, I wouldn't worry too much about not receiving it yet. Everyone will get it eventually 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone else not received a secondary yet? I was verified 7-1 and I still haven't got one...
 
Has anyone else not received a secondary yet? I was verified 7-1 and I still haven't got one...
Still nothing. I was verified 6/16 🙁
I called them this afternoon and they said they are still in the process of sending them out. He didn't give me any details on ow they were distributing them but he said that we should receive it by the end of the week!
 
I called them this afternoon and they said they are still in the process of sending them out. He didn't give me any details on ow they were distributing them but he said that we should receive it by the end of the week!

Thanks so much for calling for us! I was starting to worry
 
Harvard sent me a letter in the mail encouraging me to apply because I am "economically disadvantaged" or because I "self-identify as a member of a racial or ethic group historically underrepresented". Neither of those things are true, and I didn't put that information anywhere in my application (I double checked). Any ideas as to what I should do? I think they have me confused with someone else or something..
 
I think mine was something like 2500 or 3000 characters. I figured I'd rather be concise than ramble just for the sake of filling up space.

You know you've completed a lot of secondaries when 2500/3000 characters sounds short
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Harvard sent me a letter in the mail encouraging me to apply because I am "economically disadvantaged" or because I "self-identify as a member of a racial or ethic group historically underrepresented". Neither of those things are true, and I didn't put that information anywhere in my application (I double checked). Any ideas as to what I should do? I think they have me confused with someone else or something..

I got the same letter, right after the MCAT scores were released. And it's not true for me either. I just applied anyway!
 
I got the same letter, right after the MCAT scores were released. And it's not true for me either. I just applied anyway!
i was wondering if i should mention it on the secondary.. or just let it go and possibly have a better chance at an II 😛
 
Anyone know if we can write about "an important aspect of your personal background or identity" that isn't one of the examples listed? Most schools have the more open-ended "diversity" essay, but based on Harvard's examples (and statement that "many applicants will not need to answer this question"), it sounds like they're only interested in hearing about serious life challenges.
I chose to write about something important to me from my background that didn't even come close to fitting some of the examples that the prompt gives. I felt like it was a little risky but am excited to see how they respond--good or bad.
 
I chose to write about something important to me from my background that didn't even come close to fitting some of the examples that the prompt gives. I felt like it was a little risky but am excited to see how they respond--good or bad.

I did the same. Wrote about something really important to me, but not in their list.