2014-2015 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know if we can write about "an important aspect of your personal background or identity" that isn't one of the examples listed? Most schools have the more open-ended "diversity" essay, but based on Harvard's examples (and statement that "many applicants will not need to answer this question"), it sounds like they're only interested in hearing about serious life challenges.

Agree with the above posts. I did as well last year 🙂
 
Harvard sent me a letter in the mail encouraging me to apply because I am "economically disadvantaged" or because I "self-identify as a member of a racial or ethic group historically underrepresented". Neither of those things are true, and I didn't put that information anywhere in my application (I double checked). Any ideas as to what I should do? I think they have me confused with someone else or something..
It isn't very uncommon to have communication errors during admission process, consider how much had to be done.
Hopkins send out error massage earlier this month as well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know how strict the requirement is to get letters from ALL supervisors? I have two research experiences, one for a year, and one for two years. I have a letter from the latter because it is the most recent; but I was unable to get one for the former due to the PI being on extended leave. Anyone have experience with this?
 
Anyone know how strict the requirement is to get letters from ALL supervisors? I have two research experiences, one for a year, and one for two years. I have a letter from the latter because it is the most recent; but I was unable to get one for the former due to the PI being on extended leave. Anyone have experience with this?
Generally they'll assume that if you didn't send it, then that means there was a problem between you and the prof. At least that's what I've been told for md-phd
 
Anyone know how strict the requirement is to get letters from ALL supervisors? I have two research experiences, one for a year, and one for two years. I have a letter from the latter because it is the most recent; but I was unable to get one for the former due to the PI being on extended leave. Anyone have experience with this?
I would say either don't mention that research experience if you can't get a letter, or just go forward with it and hope for the best. I doubt they'd just throw out your app because of it, but they just could have some doubts as to why the letter isn't available
 
Anyone know how strict the requirement is to get letters from ALL supervisors? I have two research experiences, one for a year, and one for two years. I have a letter from the latter because it is the most recent; but I was unable to get one for the former due to the PI being on extended leave. Anyone have experience with this?
It's not a hard requirement, your app won't be screened out because you're missing a research supervisor letter. Ask HMS yourself if you want closure.


Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile
 
I think if you have a bunch of letters in general, it's not as bad to skip over it? Otherwise I'd suggest asking them to send it in when they can (maybe contact HMS first just to be sure)
 
Does anybody know if interviews are rolling here? Wondering which schools to leave for last since ive lost track and become overflooded with secondaries
 
Anyone know how strict the requirement is to get letters from ALL supervisors? I have two research experiences, one for a year, and one for two years. I have a letter from the latter because it is the most recent; but I was unable to get one for the former due to the PI being on extended leave. Anyone have experience with this?

I would ask and explain the circumstances so they would at least note it on your file and not think it was a mistake on your part. I think someone on last year's thread asked and was told that if a letter could not be produced, your app would still be considered. It probably would hurt your app a little bit though - at most downplaying your research experience with that PI.
 
Last edited:
Does anybody know if interviews are rolling here? Wondering which schools to leave for last since ive lost track and become overflooded with secondaries

Interviews are all rolling (the quicker you send it in, the more likely you will get an earlier interview). The decision process though differ among schools - can be rolling (decisions can be made anytime - most schools), semi-rolling (decisions are made ~3 times a year, ex. JHU), or non-rolling (decisions are made at a single date - Harvard, Yale, Duke, Columbia, etc.). For non-rolling schools, it is true that a later interview will not put you at a disadvantage, so feel free to spend more time on secondaries for non-rolling schools.

tl;dr - yes
 
Here were two quotes from last year about the LOR requirement - @Spritsker looks like you should be fine 🙂

To those concerned about the math requirement and research supervisor/PI LORs:
I am also applying this cycle and emailed the admissions department with questions. I took 2 quarters of calculus (for applied and life sciences) and I'm planning on taking a semester of introductory statistics this fall. They said..."While biostatistics or statistics relating to medicine is recommended, it is certainly not required. Any college-level statistics course will be count towards the mathematics requirement."

I also emailed about the mandatory research supervisor LORs...this was their response: "The criteria listed for our letters of evaluation are not strict requirements. While the Committee on Admissions prefers to see letters from all research supervisors or PI's, ultimately what letters you choose to include are up to your own discretion. Please choose the letters of evaluation you believe best support your application.
You do not need to include letters from experiences you do not believe were significant, or experiences that are no longer relevant. Your application will still be considered even if you do not meet the letter criteria precisely."

I had a research experience that was years ago that I wouldn't even call research, more like exposure and shadowing of someone doing research, so that's what I was concerned about.

Hope this helps!

I asked them about this and the response I got was basically along the lines of "It's not a strict requirement but you should do your best to submit the letters we are requesting." I went ahead and submitted my app and I may still try to get a letter in the future. In my case, I had letters from two prior experiences and I had just started my current research experience when I submitted my AMCAS, so I didn't feel that they knew me well enough at that point for it to yield a meaningful letter. It seems like they take it case by case so it never hurts to ask!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here were two quotes from last year about the LOR requirement - @Spritsker looks like you should be fine 🙂

Thank you! Funny thing is I ended up getting a response from my first PI and he wrote my letter for me within a day haha.

I didn't write the optional essay though, and it looks like I am in the minority based on this site...I submitted already. Did I make a mistake?
 
Thank you! Funny thing is I ended up getting a response from my first PI and he wrote my letter for me within a day haha.

I didn't write the optional essay though, and it looks like I am in the minority based on this site...I submitted already. Did I make a mistake?

SDN has a very high reporting bias. I wouldn't worry - many, if not most, skip the optional essay.
 
For those who got the secondary already, is there still an HST-specific question on research? I was gonna pre-write it after I dig my way out from under my mountain of secondaries, but wouldn't want to put in the time for no reason!
 
Anyone know how strict the requirement is to get letters from ALL supervisors? I have two research experiences, one for a year, and one for two years. I have a letter from the latter because it is the most recent; but I was unable to get one for the former due to the PI being on extended leave. Anyone have experience with this?

Anecdotally, I know someone accepted to the HST program who did not submit letters from all research PIs. I would apply anyway.
 
That's strange. You might want to give "the Hahvarhd" a ring.

I emailed them Monday and this was the response:

We expect to send out more invitations by the end of this week. Since your application is verified and your MCAT scores received, you should receive an invitation to fill out the secondary shortly.
 
I emailed them Monday and this was the response:
We expect to send out more invitations by the end of this week. Since your application is verified and your MCAT scores received, you should receive an invitation to fill out the secondary shortly.
That makes no sense, your primary was verified a month before mine and we have the same MCAT date--score released on 07/22. And yet I received mine like an hour after my primary was verified on 7/21,
 
That makes no sense, your primary was verified a month before mine and we have the same MCAT date--score released on 07/22. And yet I received mine like an hour after my primary was verified on 7/21,

It's weirdly random though--I was verified 6/11 and I did not get a Harvard secondary until 7/18. Don't lose hope--everyone is supposed to get a secondary.
 
  • Like
Reactions: FFH
Yeah, it doesn't make sense at all to me. I have a friend who also got her MCAT scores on 7/22. She was verified after I was but got the secondary before MCAT scores came out. I'm not sure why it's not automatic if they don't screen.
 
For those who got the secondary already, is there still an HST-specific question on research? I was gonna pre-write it after I dig my way out from under my mountain of secondaries, but wouldn't want to put in the time for no reason!

yes

"The HST MD program draws on the combined resources of Harvard and MIT to provide a distinct preclinical education tailored to preparing students for careers as physician-scientists. HST classes are small, commonly include graduate students and have an emphasis on quantitative and analytic approaches, centered on understanding disease mechanisms and exploring therapies. Please explain how your prior experiences, including research, have prepared you for this challenging opportunity. In lieu of identifying specific HST faculty or research opportunities, please focus on your interests, experiences and aspirations. Please limit your comments to the equivalent of one page of single spaced text with a font size of 10 or 12."
 
yes

"The HST MD program draws on the combined resources of Harvard and MIT to provide a distinct preclinical education tailored to preparing students for careers as physician-scientists. HST classes are small, commonly include graduate students and have an emphasis on quantitative and analytic approaches, centered on understanding disease mechanisms and exploring therapies. Please explain how your prior experiences, including research, have prepared you for this challenging opportunity. In lieu of identifying specific HST faculty or research opportunities, please focus on your interests, experiences and aspirations. Please limit your comments to the equivalent of one page of single spaced text with a font size of 10 or 12."

Thanks. Anyone know if there are separate interviews for the HST and NP tracks? That is, if I win the lottery and get an II!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if you can submit the HST/ NP essays independently? HST one is taking a while for me

I don't think so since they both have the same secondary. Don't worry about how long it is taking-- put as much of your time and effort into the essay as you want. Harvard in non-rolling admissions so while you have more chances for an interview the sooner you apply, there are not less spots in the class as the interview process continues. SDN always makes your feel like you're late, but just breath and be chill about it. 🙂 (If I'm wrong about non-rolling please do politely correct me).
 
I don't think so since they both have the same secondary. Don't worry about how long it is taking-- put as much of your time and effort into the essay as you want. Harvard in non-rolling admissions so while you have more chances for an interview the sooner you apply, there are not less spots in the class as the interview process continues. SDN always makes your feel like you're late, but just breath and be chill about it. 🙂 (If I'm wrong about non-rolling please do politely correct me).

Thank you! yeah definitely
 
Still have not received the secondary. I'm starting to think something went wrong with the processing of my application despite the email I got back from them last week.
 
My application was verified today, and I just received my secondary.

What is the acceptable minimum MCAT score? I e-mailed the admissions office, and this is what I received. "We do not have any minimum or cut-off regarding the MCAT score or GPA. The Committee on Admissions does take holistic approach to application review and your application will not be evaluated solely on the basis of your MCAT score. While we do not have information regarding the lowest accepted MCAT score, if you are interested in the average MCAT score and GPA for last year's incoming class, please visit the following webpage: http://hms.harvard.edu/departments/admissions/applying/selection-factors/admissions-statistics."
 
My application was verified today, and I just received my secondary.

What is the acceptable minimum MCAT score? I e-mailed the admissions office, and this is what I received. "We do not have any minimum or cut-off regarding the MCAT score or GPA. The Committee on Admissions does take holistic approach to application review and your application will not be evaluated solely on the basis of your MCAT score. While we do not have information regarding the lowest accepted MCAT score, if you are interested in the average MCAT score and GPA for last year's incoming class, please visit the following webpage: http://hms.harvard.edu/departments/admissions/applying/selection-factors/admissions-statistics."

I would say they gave you a great answer, what more do you want? If you are below their 10th percentile forget about it (most likely) and being below average you need some great ECs and probably research.
 
I would say they gave you a great answer, what more do you want? If you are below their 10th percentile forget about it (most likely) and being below average you need some great ECs and probably research.
I guess I just wanted them to give me a number that would tell me not to apply and save money instead? lol Anyways, you're right. Thanks for your reply.
 
I think stats can give you an idea of where you will be competitive but that's not to say don't shoot for the stars with a few apps! If you have a good application list that more or less matches your stat range then I say go for it if you can spare the $$ money to apply. Dream Big! Best of luck
I guess I just wanted them to give me a number that would tell me not to apply and save money instead? lol Anyways, you're right. Thanks for your reply.
 
I think stats can give you an idea of where you will be competitive but that's not to say don't shoot for the stars with a few apps! If you have a good application list that more or less matches your stat range then I say go for it if you can spare the $$ money to apply. Dream Big! Best of luck

Thanks! Yeah, I know I will regret if I don't even give it a try. Bye, $100!
 
The secondary application mentions that HMS takes a more analytical approach to a medical education. Apart from setting aside more time for students to do research, and have technical elective classes, can someone give me some examples of this? For example, what part of their standard medical student curriculum do they teach more analytically?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad