2014-2015 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Still have not received the secondary. I'm starting to think something went wrong with the processing of my application despite the email I got back from them last week.

Just an FYI for people who haven't gotten secondaries yet... I emailed them when it had been a month since my primary was verified. It turned out they had a record of sending me one, although I never received it. They resent it right away, so it worked out fine. I'd definitely recommend reaching out if it's been more than few weeks.
 
How long does it usually take them to acknowledge receipt of letters? That's the only thing missing for me now and they've been with amcas for a while now. Should I email? I don't want to bother them if I don't have to.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How long does it usually take them to acknowledge receipt of letters? That's the only thing missing for me now and they've been with amcas for a while now. Should I email? I don't want to bother them if I don't have to.

Yay it's finally updated. Now the wait begins..
 
Last edited:
Got my II today!! My application was complete 7/10.

Does anybody know how to sign up for the student hosting? It says to click on the accommodations tab but I dont see any information there, maybe its too early?
 
On the interview tab, it says to "complete and print the Requirements Checklist and bring it with you on your interview day." I get a blank page clicking on the checklist link. Have others been able to open it?

I have tried Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer.
 
On the interview tab, it says to "complete and print the Requirements Checklist and bring it with you on your interview day." I get a blank page clicking on the checklist link. Have others been able to open it?

I have tried Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer.

I have the same issue
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How long does it usually take them to acknowledge receipt of letters? That's the only thing missing for me now and they've been with amcas for a while now. Should I email? I don't want to bother them if I don't have to.

How long did it take you to receive the secondary after submitting? I see there are some issues here.
 
I think I got it pretty soon after. I have so many schools that I'm honestly not monitoring when I got things, just yes/no check boxes. I don't remember any sort of lag though.
 
Got my II today!! My application was complete 7/10.

Does anybody know how to sign up for the student hosting? It says to click on the accommodations tab but I dont see any information there, maybe its too early?

We just got the E-mail to host students earlier this week, so it may take a while for people to sign up to be hosts before admissions release the info. Congrats to everyone who have gotten IIs!
 
I submitted 7/14 and still haven't heard from them ... should I be worried its a no? People here have gotten II's even though they submitted their secondaries after I did
 
I submitted 7/14 and still haven't heard from them ... should I be worried its a no? People here have gotten II's even though they submitted their secondaries after I did

Oh, i wouldn't worry yet! I have received multiple II's from schools that previously sent out II's to people complete after me.
 
Hi everyone. Did you get an email from Harvard saying you were complete? I didn't, but when I log in online it has a green check next to "Application File Complete".
 
Mine has the green check for complete as well, but I didn't get an email saying I was complete either. Perhaps they don't send one.
 
Hi everyone. Did you get an email from Harvard saying you were complete? I didn't, but when I log in online it has a green check next to "Application File Complete".

I got one that said "Secondary Application Received" when I submitted. It did not say the word "complete," however.
 
Does anyone know the accepted number of students of those interviewed from US news? it seems like they interview many people for a small number of spots
 
Does anyone know the accepted number of students of those interviewed from US news? it seems like they interview many people for a small number of spots
So the numbers seem brutal... There seems to be a 23.5% acceptance rate after receiving an interview :/ I'm now terrified
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone else who is applying MSTP planning on taking a GRE subject test? I wanted to hold off on making that decision to see if I get an interview offer first, but the deadline for the October test date is coming up fairly soon.
 
Is anyone else who is applying MSTP planning on taking a GRE subject test? I wanted to hold off on making that decision to see if I get an interview offer first, but the deadline for the October test date is coming up fairly soon.

I was planning to do exactly that. In fact, you could do it even later. The test just needs to be done by the time of matriculation into the particular graduate program of interest.
 
I was planning to do exactly that. In fact, you could do it even later. The test just needs to be done by the time of matriculation into the particular graduate program of interest.
Wait. Does that need to be done for all PhDs??? I applied to Neuroscience and I didn't realize I needed to do a subject GRE?
 
Wait. Does that need to be done for all PhDs??? I applied to Neuroscience and I didn't realize I needed to do a subject GRE?

I received the following from them back in June:

Thank you for your interest in the Division of Medical Sciences at Harvard Medical School.

Please see the answers to your questions below:

The first is whether a subject GRE is necessary and, if so, in which subject?

1. The GRE general test is required for all applicants. The GRE subject test is optional, and if you choose to take it you may do so in the subject of your choice. We do not have a minimum required GRE score. The admissions committee looks at all parts of the application. A lower GRE score may be offset by strong research experience or letters of recommendation. Please note that GRE scores expire after 5 years.
 
Hmm alright thanks. Haha. So the consensus is it's not needed for consideration right? Like, you can be offered a spot without having reported it yet? Because I did do it because it was required for a program I'm in, but I bombed it because I didn't study since I didn't think I needed it for md phd... Haha
 
Wait. Does that need to be done for all PhDs??? I applied to Neuroscience and I didn't realize I needed to do a subject GRE?

The Harvard MSTP website says the GRE only, there is no specification to the subject test.

Per the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences

"All programs require the General GRE test scores; some require the GRE Subject test scores (some programs allow the GMAT to substitute, see Program Details). Some programs require specific undergraduate courses, languages, or quantitative expertise."

I looked at the neuroscience website @MSTPhopeful2015 and there is no indication for taking the subject test; the GRE general test should be sufficient. But I would still take a double check 😉

For others, whether you should take the general or subject test should be stated on the program home page. That being said, for MD-PhD applicants, I willing to bet that the MCAT and general GRE will wave the requirements for any eligible PhD program in the MSTP.
 
The Harvard MSTP website says the GRE only, there is no specification to the subject test.

Per the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences

"All programs require the General GRE test scores; some require the GRE Subject test scores (some programs allow the GMAT to substitute, see Program Details). Some programs require specific undergraduate courses, languages, or quantitative expertise."

I looked at the neuroscience website @MSTPhopeful2015 and there is no indication for taking the subject test; the GRE general test should be sufficient. But I would still take a double check 😉

For others, whether you should take the general or subject test should be stated on the program home page. That being said, for MD-PhD applicants, I willing to bet that the MCAT and general GRE will wave the requirements for any eligible PhD program in the MSTP.
Thank you so much!
 
Why is the np different from other curriculum?

Per HST FAQs

"Q: What is the difference between HST and the New Pathway?

A: There are several differences in the two pathways to the MD degree at Harvard Medical School, some philosophical, some logistical. The HST medical sciences curriculum seeks to educate leaders in biomedical sciences and academic medicine. Preclinical courses, taught in semester format to more easily integrate with the schedules at Harvard and MIT, employ a range of pedagogical approaches to educate students in modern biomedical sciences, pathophysiologic processes, and important concepts in modern biology and biotechnology. All students in the HST program must complete a thesis as part of their graduation requirements.



The New Pathway curriculum uses a problem-based approach to medical education that emphasizes small-group tutorials and self-directed learning, complemented by laboratories, conferences and lectures. Courses are taught in block format. Emphasis is placed on the patient-doctor relationship, the social context and problems of modern medicine and health care, and the prospects created by the progress in biological sciences.



Students in HST and the New Pathway intermingle on the wards in years III and IV."


The main difference is the level of research/research related courses coupled with medical school classes. Many HST pathway individuals go on to get an additional degree (~40% get a PhD).
 
So, HST is not their MD/PhD program?
The HST and NP are the two branches of the MD side of your medical education. So you choose one of those if you are a regular MD applicant or MD/PhD.

@MSTPhopeful2015 @SynBio @Reformed_Herbivore when I spoke with a rep at a grad school fair, it's my understanding that the GRE (general) test just has to be completed before you start the grad school program of your choice. I think you will have to have the general test score, no matter what. But, it's my impression that it's more of a box check than an evaluation criterion. I haven't taken it, because Harvard is the only school I'm applying to with that requirement. If I were so blessed to get in, I'd study and take it before MS1 starts. Hope that helps!
 
thank you!
Per HST FAQs

"Q: What is the difference between HST and the New Pathway?

A: There are several differences in the two pathways to the MD degree at Harvard Medical School, some philosophical, some logistical. The HST medical sciences curriculum seeks to educate leaders in biomedical sciences and academic medicine. Preclinical courses, taught in semester format to more easily integrate with the schedules at Harvard and MIT, employ a range of pedagogical approaches to educate students in modern biomedical sciences, pathophysiologic processes, and important concepts in modern biology and biotechnology. All students in the HST program must complete a thesis as part of their graduation requirements.



The New Pathway curriculum uses a problem-based approach to medical education that emphasizes small-group tutorials and self-directed learning, complemented by laboratories, conferences and lectures. Courses are taught in block format. Emphasis is placed on the patient-doctor relationship, the social context and problems of modern medicine and health care, and the prospects created by the progress in biological sciences.



Students in HST and the New Pathway intermingle on the wards in years III and IV."


The main difference is the level of research/research related courses coupled with medical school classes. Many HST pathway individuals go on to get an additional degree (~40% get a PhD).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone care to comment on what the HST is like? I've heard NP is quite chill. Are the HST students really stressed out? It sounds exciting but REALLY intensive.
 
Anyone care to comment on what the HST is like? I've heard NP is quite chill. Are the HST students really stressed out? It sounds exciting but REALLY intensive.

Here's my two cents (as a current HST student):
We are in class for more hours than the NP students--that's a fact. Since most of my NP friends spend most of their free time studying, though, at the end of the day we have about as much free time as the NP kids. And it's intensive, but really, are you applying to Harvard Med looking for an easy ride? I would disagree with New Pathway being "chill"--those kids are much more stressed than I am. But that could just be a personality thing.
 
Anyone care to comment on what the HST is like? I've heard NP is quite chill. Are the HST students really stressed out? It sounds exciting but REALLY intensive.

HST has a lot more of their classes front loaded, as I heard that in spring of M1 they will start doing research, and as such will have less time for classes. For NP, they really try to ease us in (classes are from 8:30-12:30, with ~2 hours of afternoon classes on a few weekdays), but it gets a lot harder second year (classes are from 8:30-4:30 with a few breaks in-between), and we also have to worry about boards (HST as well of course).

However, do note that the new incoming class will be going through the accelerated 1 year curriculum, so this probably won't apply.
 
Can you speak more to this accelerated 1 year program?


HST has a lot more of their classes front loaded, as I heard that in spring of M1 they will start doing research, and as such will have less time for classes. For NP, they really try to ease us in (classes are from 8:30-12:30, with ~2 hours of afternoon classes on a few weekdays), but it gets a lot harder second year (classes are from 8:30-4:30 with a few breaks in-between), and we also have to worry about boards (HST as well of course).

However, do note that the new incoming class will be going through the accelerated 1 year curriculum, so this probably won't apply.
 
HST has a lot more of their classes front loaded, as I heard that in spring of M1 they will start doing research, and as such will have less time for classes. For NP, they really try to ease us in (classes are from 8:30-12:30, with ~2 hours of afternoon classes on a few weekdays), but it gets a lot harder second year (classes are from 8:30-4:30 with a few breaks in-between), and we also have to worry about boards (HST as well of course).

However, do note that the new incoming class will be going through the accelerated 1 year curriculum, so this probably won't apply.

Honestly, I really like the PBL based learning in NP as well as the opportunity to learn about the doctor-patient relationship on a more intimate level. I love PBL... and the NP vision really speaks to me as a student and a person. But at the same time HST is physician scientist preparation gold. Decisions, decisions...

I suppose if I am EVER blessed enough to have to make that decision, it might be a tough one, but for now I will let it stew 😉 Thanks YamNMangos!