You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 University of Minnesota Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
IS, I got my secondary on 7/22 (today) at 15:36 CST. Submitted it at 22:40 the same day.
IS, received access to the secondary yesterday afternoon. Submitted a few minutes ago.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Those of you who've received the TC secondaries, when were you verified? Also, would you mind sharing your stats? GPA/MCAT? Thanks!
Those of you who've received the TC secondaries, when were you verified? Also, would you mind sharing your stats? GPA/MCAT? Thanks!
I was verified 7/14, received secondary 7/21. 3.65/38, IS. I am fairly certain they screen before handing out secondary's but I think the screen is set very low.
I was verified on 7/15 and received my secondary on 7/22. 3.75 GPA, 33 MCAT.Those of you who've received the TC secondaries, when were you verified? Also, would you mind sharing your stats? GPA/MCAT? Thanks!
@FindMeOnTheLinks @Wallace723 thanks guys!
Is there any reason to apply to both programs or does everyone usually pick one or the other? Is it an advantage to apply to both programs?Applying here OOS, received that "we are screening primaries" email a while back...still no secondary.
Is there any reason to apply to both programs or does everyone usually pick one or the other? Is it an advantage to apply to both programs?
I applied to one (TC), I was under the impression that the other (Duluth) was reserved for in state students who wanted to practice rural medicine or work with American Indian populations.
OK samesies, I think you're right.
Is there any reason to apply to both programs or does everyone usually pick one or the other? Is it an advantage to apply to both programs?
From my understanding, there is no advantage or disadvantage. Only advantage to applying to both is to cast a wider net, but only if you are a MN resident. The committees are independent of one another. I had a friend who was accepted to TC and also later accepted to Duluth off the waitlist. Duluth heavily favors MN residents. In 2010, 53/60 (88%) were from MN. However, the Twin Cities also favors MN residents with 139/170 (82%) being from MN in 2013.
+1!Are those of you who have received the secondary EDP by chance? Kinda confused why I haven't received it being IS with competitive numbers and verified 6/6...
Received the secondary today at 2:54.
OOS/non EDP
AMCAS submitted June 19th
verified July 9th
30/3.51
OOS/non EDP
AMCAS submitted June 19th
verified July 9th
30/3.51
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmm... I know the school requires a year off between a second and third application (if a re-applicant)... but...
I applied MD/Ph.D my first time, and the U of M makes you choose one only (you can't apply MD and MD/Ph.D in the same cycle). I called and asked if they considered the MD/Ph.D toward that count of "three attempts" or not, but they said no (so this would be my second).
Still, no secondary yet after having my AMCAS submitted on the 11th (completed review on the 23rd and verified by MN the 15th of July) and an IS 3.4/37. Kinda getting on edge (in Japan right now so I can't call and wondering if my e-mail is working right) but I guess I will sit tight for now.
I applied MD/Ph.D my first time, and the U of M makes you choose one only (you can't apply MD and MD/Ph.D in the same cycle). I called and asked if they considered the MD/Ph.D toward that count of "three attempts" or not, but they said no (so this would be my second).
Still, no secondary yet after having my AMCAS submitted on the 11th (completed review on the 23rd and verified by MN the 15th of July) and an IS 3.4/37. Kinda getting on edge (in Japan right now so I can't call and wondering if my e-mail is working right) but I guess I will sit tight for now.
Last edited:
From my understanding, there is no advantage or disadvantage. Only advantage to applying to both is to cast a wider net, but only if you are a MN resident. The committees are independent of one another. I had a friend who was accepted to TC and also later accepted to Duluth off the waitlist. Duluth heavily favors MN residents. In 2010, 53/60 (88%) were from MN. However, the Twin Cities also favors MN residents with 139/170 (82%) being from MN in 2013.
Only stipulation on that: Although both heavily favor MN residents, the OOS makeup is different. If you are a very academically qualified OOS applicant to the TC campus, you have a shot. However, for Duluth the OOS numbers represent (mostly) Native American applicants who meet the schools mission in serving that community.
D
deleted628330
Same! My primary was verified early June and still no secondary... have you gotten yours since writing that post?Are those of you who have received the secondary EDP by chance? Kinda confused why I haven't received it being IS with competitive numbers and verified 6/6...
Same boat everyone. Primary verified early June, got Duluth's secondary July 3rd, AMCAS at TC 07/15, still no secondary. I was a bit neurotic and called the school yesterday, evidently the person who does secondaries at TC has been out sick so they only sent out one mixed batch. Told me to wait until next week.
Nope! Still (semi) patiently waiting...Same! My primary was verified early June and still no secondary... have you gotten yours since writing that post?
For everyone who has received/submitted the secondary...Has anyone received a complete email?
No confirmation email from either Duluth or Twin Cities after completing secondary.
Does anyone have any new info about the TC secondaries? What's the deal with these guys? I'm beginning to lose it! 
+1Does anyone have any new info about the TC secondaries? What's the deal with these guys? I'm beginning to lose it!![]()
No joy yet! 🙁 I called up the admissions office (yes, yet again!) and the person who answered was not very helpful. She said something like they will continue to send out secondaries till the year end??!!!
whatever that means! I've received and submitted secondaries for every single school I applied to except for Minnesota. And to think I am IS!!! 😡
Just got an Interview Invite today! I will hopefully be interviewing on August 22nd! 🙂
Just got an Interview Invite today! I will hopefully be interviewing on August 22nd! 🙂
When were you marked complete? Did you ever receive a 'complete' email?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I never received a "complete" email. I submitted my secondary on 7/22.When were you marked complete? Did you ever receive a 'complete' email?
Just got an Interview Invite today! I will hopefully be interviewing on August 22nd! 🙂
+1 . Not sure on date, but leaning towards 22nd. Need to get a suit.
I never received a complete email either. Submitted secondary 7/23. In-state.
On the portal do you guys have a green check mark next to your letters of rec? Mine says 3/3 but doesn't have a green check...I'm worried that is what is keeping me from being complete.
I do not have a green check next to my letters of rec. Mine says 5/5, so you should be fine.On the portal do you guys have a green check mark next to your letters of rec? Mine says 3/3 but doesn't have a green check...I'm worried that is what is keeping me from being complete.
On the portal do you guys have a green check mark next to your letters of rec? Mine says 3/3 but doesn't have a green check...I'm worried that is what is keeping me from being complete.
I'm not sure those numbers reflect LOR's. I have 6/6 by mine but I don't even have 6 LOR's...
Alright thanks guys I appreciate it! Congrats on your interviews!
I might know you...I'm an ole also!IS, received secondary on 7/30 in the afternoon. Verified 6/30.
II today!!! I am OOS with a marginal MCAT: 28. This is for the underdogs on this site that are worried about their fate...DON'T LOSE HOPE!!! I have received 3 II so far and are all OOS.
Well, it is rather frustrating that people are getting interview invites when my secondary hasn't arrived yet (even though my AMCAS app was in the first wave)...
Ah well, best of luck to everyone in the interviews!
Ah well, best of luck to everyone in the interviews!
when were you complete?II today!!! I am OOS with a marginal MCAT: 28. This is for the underdogs on this site that are worried about their fate...DON'T LOSE HOPE!!! I have received 3 II so far and are all OOS.
Just received a notification from Duluth that my application is no longer being considered for the entering class. Anyone else?
Last edited:
Just received a notification from Duluth that my application is no longer being considered for the entering class (35 MCAT, 3.95+ GPA). Anyone else?
Not yet... were you IS or did you have strong Native American ties?
In state.
Last edited:
does anyone know if the Admissions committee members send out secondaries (that's what the UMN verification email said)? Would that explain why some have received secondaries/II before others in spite of being verified much later? May be my app is stuck with a 'not-so-proactive' committee member or something! 🙁 grappling at straws here. What else is there to do 🙁😱

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm sorry to hear that!! Stellar scores indeed. Best of luck with your other schools!In state, graduated from the University of Minnesota '13.
does anyone know if the Admissions committee members send out secondaries (that's what the UMN verification email said)? Would that explain why some have received secondaries/II before others in spite of being verified much later? May be my app is stuck with a 'not-so-proactive' committee member or something! 🙁 grappling at straws here. What else is there to do 🙁😱![]()
Have you tried calling?
+1 I feel your paindoes anyone know if the Admissions committee members send out secondaries (that's what the UMN verification email said)? Would that explain why some have received secondaries/II before others in spite of being verified much later? May be my app is stuck with a 'not-so-proactive' committee member or something! 🙁 grappling at straws here. What else is there to do 🙁😱![]()

I feel like if you received the UMN verification email then that would mean they received your primary, but then again I could be wrong...Have you tried calling? I have read a couple posts where the school never received the primary from AMCAS.
I feel like if you received the UMN verification email then that would mean they received your primary, but then again I could be wrong...
Wow yeah...now i feel dumb. I'm just going to chalk that up to it being too early in the morning for me.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K