-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 University of Rochester Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
applying here!
Top choice, hopefully they like their neighbors.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Applying here as well, despite the crappy upstate NY winters. Good luck everyone!
Applying here! Good luck everyone!

One of my top two choices. Applying OOS. The only thing that might deter me is that I've heard how bad the crime is right around the med school...
One of my top two choices. Applying OOS. The only thing that might deter me is that I've heard how bad the crime is right around the med school...
Us classmates just need to watch each other's backs.
The crime in rochester is not that bad (my undergrad is in rochester area). The area around the school is really coming along too. In a year or so it will be fully developed and a thriving college town. The campus is right next to the hospital. The only "rough" areas in my opinion are across the genesee river (about 5 mins from the school).
I can't say anything about the medical school specifically because I myself am an applicant along with you all!
Last edited:
Deleted
Last edited:
I just did it. That's correct.Just got the secondary email.
Preliminary check from my phone suggests no essays for the secondary.
I just did it. That's correct.
So we basically pay to submit a stupid form. Lol.
I just did it. That's correct.
Yup. Anyone know if they screen?
They don't, seeing as I won't get my MCAT score until next Tuesday but got the secondary.Yup. Anyone know if they screen?
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are they just asking for a payment or do we have stuff to fill out?
I presume they are sending the links out in batches so people don't submit all at once and crash their system, or something.
Secondary received. Submitted 15 mins later. Number one school choice. <3 rochester
Just submitted mine too.. hurray for no essay! Fingers crossed!!
Still no secondary from Rochester for me.. I hope I get it soon!
Complete verification just now!!
Does anyone know why Rochester calls themselves the liberal arts college of medical schools?
Secondary received!!
There's a mandatory interpretive dance clerkship third year.Does anyone know why Rochester calls themselves the liberal arts college of medical schools?
Welp, none of these boxes applied to me. Not sure if that is a bad sign...
Welp, none of these boxes applied to me. Not sure if that is a bad sign...
Same here. Something tells me this isn't a positive sign.
Ah well. You only need one, right?
Ya... submitted, but couldn't check of anyone of those boxes lol.
Participated in a formal summer research and / or enrichment program related to a career in the health professions (i.e., SMDEP funded by R.W.Johnson Foundation or other competitive program)
Do you think that only includes things you got funding for? not like a summer enrichment program/shadowing thing ...
Do you think that only includes things you got funding for? not like a summer enrichment program/shadowing thing ...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know why Rochester calls themselves the liberal arts college of medical schools?
They have many elective options involving medical ethics and cultural competency in medicine. Basic they are aware that there are other aspects to medicine than science and they try to prepare their graduates for this. I have been told by my advisor that this is also something they look for in their applicants
Participated in a formal summer research and / or enrichment program related to a career in the health professions (i.e., SMDEP funded by R.W.Johnson Foundation or other competitive program)
Do you think that only includes things you got funding for? not like a summer enrichment program/shadowing thing ...
I think formal doesn't necessarily mean paid. Non the less I couldn't check this box as my research was not medically related
Participated in a formal summer research and / or enrichment program related to a career in the health professions (i.e., SMDEP funded by R.W.Johnson Foundation or other competitive program)
Do you think that only includes things you got funding for? not like a summer enrichment program/shadowing thing ...
That's how I interpreted it. I'd say if you applied, got accepted, and it was organized, then it probably counts (if this was the case you also most likely got a stipend). If you set it up yourself, probably not.
.
Last edited:
Looks like a lot of us are in the same boat...secondary received and submitted, but couldn't check any of the boxes 🙁
I think it will be okay.
I think it will be okay.
Oh, I'm quite sure! But I'm supposed to be a neurotic premed, right? 🙂
Received and submitted! Also could not check any boxes.
I checked one box.
I just submitted my secondary as well, but for the "signature" at the end for the submission, I accidentally clicked too fast and only put my initials, and not my entire name ... Is that going to affect my application in any manner? (sorry I might be slightly neurotic from all these applications)
Just submitted -- Stupid boxes... managed to get 1, but what is the point of them? anyone know?
It's a way to make the $100 fee seem justifiable.
I'll take check boxes over essay prompts any day. Favorite secondary so far!
I just submitted my secondary as well, but for the "signature" at the end for the submission, I accidentally clicked too fast and only put my initials, and not my entire name ... Is that going to affect my application in any manner? (sorry I might be slightly neurotic from all these applications)
I'd probably send them an e-mail or give them a call to see if its okay. They might need it for legal purposes (signature and all) or they might say its fine. I wouldn't worry too much about it hurting your chances as its a perfectly reasonable thing. You can always explain it away as your browser crashing

Submitted! Does Rochester send out essay questions to those invited to interview?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Submitted and Application Complete! However, I don't have my committee letter in yet and they said they would still potentially review my application before they received that letter. Is this pretty common or should I worry about it?
Submitted and Application Complete! However, I don't have my committee letter in yet and they said they would still potentially review my application before they received that letter. Is this pretty common or should I worry about it?
Really? Where did they say they review without the letters?
The way my school does it, they send a committee letter that does not include the other recommendation letters. Rochester will be reviewing my application with letters from my other recommenders since they said they only needed 3 recommendation letters to move the application to "complete" status where they would start reviewing it.Really? Where did they say they review without the letters?
The way my school does it, they send a committee letter that does not include the other recommendation letters. Rochester will be reviewing my application with letters from my other recommenders since they said they only needed 3 recommendation letters to move the application to "complete" status where they would start reviewing it.
Gotcha.
Yeah Rochester says they really only look at the first 3 letters they download.
It's a way to make the $100 fee seem justifiable.
First of all, I'd watch the tone just a bit. Someone finds out who you are - which happens on SDN all the time by the way, particularly with other interviewees - and you're in trouble at any school you even consider badmouthing. No offense, just trying to help.
Second and to answer your question, no the initial secondary does not have any essays, but the interview invite does. Therefore, you do not write secondaries unless you get invited to interview which, I promise, you will be grateful for by the end of this process.
Full disclosure: I do not attend Rochester but did apply last year. Glad to see you guys are helping each other out, if I remember correctly the thread was much quieter before. Was curious to see what was going on here so decided to check in (Happy I did).
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
