2014-2015 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
guys, seriously yale is as democratic and fair as it gets.. they look at whats on your application and your interviewer's evaluation of your interview. the weight they give to thank you letters or surveys is nil because those aren't a part of your interview. i didnt do any of those things and got in first round. if we are talking about sliding off the waitlist on the otherhand.... maybe that stuff you sent in as updates or letters of intent may begin to matter.
 
While we are waiting, can current student comment on any detail of the summer research program at Yale before the school starts in Aug? I heard about it from someone currently working at Yale and it sounded great.

Link for your reading pleasure:
http://medicine.yale.edu/education/osr/start/index.aspx

Quick bullets:
- 8 weeks, $3,820 stipend
- the available mentors all self-nominate for this program, so you know you're getting somebody that wants you there
- ALL MD/PhD students are auto-accepted, though it's still optional
- decent way to spend your summer, might even get a pub out of it
- you will do a presentation at the end of it, which you can put on your residency app lol
- great for settling into New Haven too

Disclaimer: I didn't do this program because before med school I pretty much did research for 3 years in college and 1 for a gap year, and I needed a break haha

Lemme know if you have any other questions about YSM, I'd be happy to answer even though I'm in the middle of "exams" 😉 take-home online tests FTW
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So just to confirm, decisions should be coming out March 10th via email? I'm going to be somewhere with very limited internet access, so I want to make sure that it's worth it to search out some wifi at the end of the day 🙂
 
I have another very trivial question, where do you guys do grocery shopping? I know this is a small aspect in terms of choosing a medical school, but I like to cook and to wonder around colorful and fresh produce. So I'm curious as to know my options.
 
One. More. Day.

can we panic now.gif
 
I have another very trivial question, where do you guys do grocery shopping? I know this is a small aspect in terms of choosing a medical school, but I like to cook and to wonder around colorful and fresh produce. So I'm curious as to know my options.

Stop and Shop on Whalley (regular grocery store), Elm City Market by State Street (upscale grocery coop), Wooster Square Farmer's Market on the weekends (and there are Yale specific/other farmer's markets throughout the week.) If you have a car, Trader Joe's near the Milford Mall, Costco etc.
 
Just a reminder, why do we think we know this again?
We don't know... It's just part of the typical SDN cycle. 1)select an arbitrary date mentioned in passing at interview day 2)obsess over this date for weeks/months leading up to it 3) get your hopes up 4) absolutely crush your universe when decisions don't actually come out that day.

The Duke thread is a quintessential example.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We don't know... It's just part of the typical SDN cycle. 1)select an arbitrary date mentioned in passing at interview day 2)obsess over this date for weeks/months leading up to it 3) get your hopes up 4) absolutely crush your universe when decisions don't actually come out that day.

The Duke thread is a quintessential example.
I thought we were told that MS1s were giving congratulatory phone calls on March 11?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for that. I did not find the time of day.
I'm thinking today is the day.
If not we certainly can set in motion the long and winding road experience we treated ourselves to on another thread.
Good luck to all - This is the top choice for me.
 
I interviewed on the last day and they told me March 11th...so I wouldn't be surprised if they come out tomorrow, either
 
I'm confident that I'd be getting in since during the tour, I did stood at the seal in the lobby of the library facing the room where the decisions would have been made and asked for acceptance. Fail proof. 😛

If only it's that easy....
 
I'm confident that I'd be getting in since during the tour, I did stood at the seal in the lobby of the library facing the room where the decisions would have been made and asked for acceptance. Fail proof. 😛
For the record, I can now confirm SDN statements are legally binding. Also Accepted!!! Interviewed in December

So I guess there are at least two proven ways to get in!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad