2014 PHAP application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got an offer today too. Has anyone tried to change their placement? I'm not sure if I should even bother. I was so incredibly excited about this program, but the location I received was the absolutely worse place I could've gotten... not sure if I'll formally accept yet.

I sort of want to decline mine to see if I get into another location. I have an MPH and am one class away from a Masters of Science in Epi plus a lot of experience with Selective Agents and Toxins research so I figured they would put me at a useful location ie not a small city! I really don't think that they read through your personal statements and location preferences, I guess they just want to test your adaptability

Members don't see this ad.

Another long time lurker here. I was offered a position in Bakersfield, CA yesterday and declined today. Like other posters, I'm really disappointed that the CDC did not follow through on it's statements that location preferences were the priority in placing associates. The position that I was offered required a car and a license, of which I have neither. Some of you have stated that you want to see if you can get placed someone else. The answer I received when I asked if I could be placed somewhere else or put on a wait list was that they aren't doing a wait list this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if they send out a survey so that applicants can provide feedback on this whole process. Probably not im probably asking for too much

Does anyone know the likelihood of getting a raise during the 2 years? The announcement said there's the possibility to go from a G-5 to G-7, but how likely is that?

Does anyone know the likelihood of getting a raise during the 2 years? The announcement said there's the possibility to go from a G-5 to G-7, but how likely is that?

According to my interviewer, every month your supervisor at your host site and you submit a progress report of some sort to your CDC PHAP supervisor. The interviewer alluded to the idea that these monthly progress reports may be used to determine your eligibility for a raise the following year.

According to my interviewer, every month your supervisor at your host site and you submit a progress report of some sort to your CDC PHAP supervisor. The interviewer alluded to the idea that these monthly progress reports may be used to determine your eligibility for a raise the following year.

Thanks for the information, I was wondering about that too! I decided to take the position in New Orleans even though I will be long distance with my boyfriend this is an opportunity I just couldn't pass up! I do agree it is frustrating that they do not consider our preferred states during this process. It would have made my decision a lot easier! If anyone get New Orleans as a placement let me know!

Just got the phone call--I got placed in Chicago!!! I've basically lived here my entire life, so I'm a little bummed I didn't get to move, but SOOOO excited for the opportunity!!!!!!

Hi! I was placed in Chicago too! I accepted the position this morning but I am super nervous about living in such a big city. Any recommendations about what I should do regarding finding a roommate or where the cheapest (and safest) places are to live??

For those of you who have accepted their offers, did you guys get a confirmation that your forms were received? I sent mine yesterday night and just wanted to make sure they don't email back to confirm. Thanks!

Hi! I sent in my email acceptance letter yesterday as well, and I did not receive a confirmation either. I wish they would respond just so we know that everything was received...

Hello all!

Question:

For those of you that have already been extended an offer. Has your status changed on the official Phap CDC website (where you logged in turn do essay and location preference) to "selected"?

This site
https://fms.cdc.gov/Legacy/Application/PHAP/HomePage.aspx

Hi there! No, my status still says "You have been selected for interview." Has yours changed? I have received no confirmation that they have received my email with my acceptance letter either. I want to make sure that I have truly been accepted! It's a bit nerve wracking.

Hi there! No, my status still says "You have been selected for interview." Has yours changed? I have received no confirmation that they have received my email with my acceptance letter either. I want to make sure that I have truly been accepted! It's a bit nerve wracking.

I'm still in the waiting game :-/
It's like all of a sudden my anxiety levels went through the roof. I think because I finish my MPH the end of this month and other than that celebration I haven't figured out my next move yet. I live in Savannah and am from Atlanta so either way I have to move somewhere by the end of the month more than likely that will be back to Atlanta until I figure all the logistics of my life out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! This is my first time posting here but I have been stalking this thread and last year's thread since applying! I got offered a position yesterday in Hillsboro, OR. So those who haven't heard back yet just keep hope alive, because I was certain I had been rejected.

I NEVER dreamed of living on the West Coast. I was Texas raised went to DC for undergrad and was playing to move to NJ next month with my BF for grad school. It is crazy how things work out! I accepted this morning and I am keeping all those waiting to hear back in my prayers! Just remember what is for you, is for you!

Anyone with any helpful tips about the Portland area please hit me up and anyone with any questions about the DMV area feel free to ask me!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I was placed in Chicago too! I accepted the position this morning but I am super nervous about living in such a big city. Any recommendations about what I should do regarding finding a roommate or where the cheapest (and safest) places are to live??

Hello, fellow Chicagoan! In terms of affordable places to live, there are a ton--Chicago is one of those places where you'll find a huge range of rent prices, so you'll definitely be able to find what you need. Lincoln park is where a ton of young professionals live, is incredibly safe, but may be a little pricey (although I have a friend living there for $700/month, so if you look hard enough, you can find something affordable! Especially cuz Depaul University is there so a ton of apartments cater to student prices.) Lakeview, Logan Square (stay close to the El stop though), Andersonville, and parts of Wicker Park are good places for young people too, that are safe and definitely public transit accessible. If you want to be adventurous, you could live in Hyde Park for cheaper than those. The neighborhood Hyde Park itself is safe, since it's where University of Chicago is located, but be wary of taking public transit at night because it borders some unsafe areas of Chicago on the South side. Rents will be cheaper for that reason though, and in Hyde Park you'll find places for $500-600/month. If you stick to the other neighborhoods on the North side, you should be able to find rents in the $700-900 range. As for finding roommates, try Craigslist! I'm sure some universities in Chicago have grad students looking for roommates too, so if you try looking on Depaul/Northwestern/UChicago/Loyola's housing sites (I'm assuming they have some) you'll be bound to find someone.

Most importantly, invest in a good coat, it'll be a cold and long winter! Although I'm totally biased, Chicago is a great city, and you'll love living here minus the weather. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Last edited:
Hello, fellow Chicagoan! In terms of affordable places to live, there are a ton--Chicago is one of those places where you'll find a huge range of rent prices, so you'll definitely be able to find what you need. Lincoln park is where a ton of young professionals live, is incredibly safe, but may be a little pricey (although I have a friend living there for $700/month, so if you look hard enough, you can find something affordable! Especially cuz Depaul University is there so a ton of apartments cater to student prices.) Lakeview, Logan Square (stay close to the El stop though), Andersonville, and parts of Wicker Park are good places for young people too, that are safe and definitely public transit accessible. If you want to be adventurous, you could live in Hyde Park for cheaper than those. The neighborhood Hyde Park itself is safe, since it's where University of Chicago is located, but be wary of taking public transit at night because it borders some unsafe areas of Chicago on the South side. You'll get cheaper rents for that reason though, in the $500-600 range. If you stick to the other neighborhoods on the North side of the city, you should be able to find rents in the $700-900 range. As for finding roommates, try Craigslist! I'm sure some universities in Chicago have grad students looking for roommates too, so if you try looking on Depaul/Northwestern/UChicago/Loyola's housing sites (I'm assuming they have some) you'll be bound to find someone.

Most importantly, invest in a good coat, it'll be a cold and long winter! Let me know if you have any other questions!

To HowardGirl TexasLady, Welcome to Oregon! I live near Portland- (which is like 30 min form Hillsboro). Hillsboro is a nice area, not crazy city, but not in middle of nowhere. It has recently boomed and is an up and coming area, but is not super expensive. You are close to stores and fun things to do quite easily. The weather is mild, summers are 73-85 most of the time and it usually does not snow much. You are also close (1-3 hours) of the beach, rivers, and mountains.

Reactions: 1 users
I received an offer yesterday

Last edited:
Hi! Randomly found this blog and first time post. I received on offer yesterday in Tacoma, WA and have accepted. If anyone is from the area, please share some insight! :)

I've lived previously in NE, MO and currently reside in CA (Orange County area). So depending where you're assigned I'd be glad to share my thoughts as well.

I know for previous years, when placements used to start in August, that the programs ended in May. So I assumed since the placements now start in October, that the program would end in July instead, thus giving enough time for graduate school. I could be completely wrong though, so I would ask a PHAP employee.

There's no issues leaving the program early to start school or other jobs, they're realistic and you've gotta do what's good for you. Lots of people will be in same boat.

Wow, the past few posts have been very positive, keep them coming! I currently live in Miami with no family in the state and it's rough. I keep thinking about how I'll only be making a little more money than I am now but I'll be placed in Los Angeles. Any calming words or advice on surviving on this salary in Cali?

Wow, the past few posts have been very positive, keep them coming! I currently live in Miami with no family in the state and it's rough. I keep thinking about how I'll only be making a little more money than I am now but I'll be placed in Los Angeles. Any calming words or advice on surviving on this salary in Cali?

I know LA is a little bit more expensive than the OC to live in. I would recommend checking out Craig's list and finding roommates (best option I hear from others who are from LA). Just prepare yourself for how much you'll have to pay for a small space. I am unsure what areas to recommend to look at for living in LA. To cut back on costs I try to shop locally at the farmer's markets and do a lot of home cook meals. Depending where you get assigned in LA see if public transportation is an option. Gas is a around $4/gallon. Other than that I'm sure the actual LA natives will have better suggestions. :)

As for easing your way into meet new people, I would suggest joining meetup groups to meet new people. When I first moved to Orange County I joined a meet up group for volleyball and have been plugged into leagues since. There practically is a meet up group for everything! Good luck!

I know LA is a little bit more expensive than the OC to live in. I would recommend checking out Craig's list and finding roommates (best option I hear from others who are from LA). Just prepare yourself for how much you'll have to pay for a small space. I am unsure what areas to recommend to look at for living in LA. To cut back on costs I try to shop locally at the farmer's markets and do a lot of home cook meals. Depending where you get assigned in LA see if public transportation is an option. Gas is a around $4/gallon. Other than that I'm sure the actual LA natives will have better suggestions. :)

As for easing your way into meet new people, I would suggest joining meetup groups to meet new people. When I first moved to Orange County I joined a meet up group for volleyball and have been plugged into leagues since. There practically is a meet up group for everything! Good luck!

Thanks!! I actually am required to have a license and vehicle... Another expense !

Guys.. this salary is going to be a pain.. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to make it through?

Did they tell you if more people would be placed there? That was my #1 choice!
They didn't say. Last year there was only one, but hopefully there will be more this year!

Hello everyone,

For those wondering about receiving a confirmation email for the Candidate Initiation forms, I was told that due to the number of associates they are not sending confirmations but if they do not have yours they are sending out reminders next week so she said "no news is good news" in terms of that form......hope that helps

Thanks for the information, I was wondering about that too! I decided to take the position in New Orleans even though I will be long distance with my boyfriend this is an opportunity I just couldn't pass up! I do agree it is frustrating that they do not consider our preferred states during this process. It would have made my decision a lot easier! If anyone get New Orleans as a placement let me know!
New Orleans was one of my top two. I've heard nothing. Do you know how many spots there are?
Anyone heard from Boston?

New Orleans was one of my top two. I've heard nothing. Do you know how many spots there are?
Anyone heard from Boston?

On the phone she said there would be others but she didn't say how many. Based off past years I would say 4-5 total.

Hey everyone. First time poster on here. I applied to this fellowship not realizing how competitive it was. I kind of figured it was just another job I was applying for until I started making different cutoffs and investigating further.

I was offered a position in Long Island, NY. I asked for a few days to think about it, and the woman I spoke to said I have until Monday morning to decide. It was wonderful to hear that I got it, but it puts me in a bind and I was hoping to gather some insight from you all. I was slated to begin a MPH at the university of Michigan this upcoming fall that would be completely paid for. Had I not received a scholarship, I think this decision would have been easier, but considering the gravity of free grad school, I've been going back and forth. Any one have any advice/insight/suggestions? What can this fellowship do for me that would make it worth bypassing grad school for 2 years?

Also, I really don't feel like I have an adequate amount of information to make a decision. I understand that locations are non-negotiable and what have you, but I read that pay is on a geographic distribution scale (Long Island must be on the high side), and that's a big concern for me. I'm sure more information is provided to those who accept, but for someone in my case, I would have hoped I could have that information upfront.

Anyways, I appreciate the community of support that exists here and any and all advice would be great!

Hi! If you have a paid MPH, I would go ahead and take it. You can always reapply to PHAP after your MPH (as you would still be a recent grad)! I'm in the PHAP program now, and I have been getting the impression that a higher degree allows you to be more competitive with the CDC following the fellowship. There are some graduated PHAPs that got jobs as PHAs without a masters, so it's definitely not a requirement though. Just my thoughts!

Also, all of the current Arizona 2013 PHAPs are excited to hear if anyone gets placed here! Let us know if you get a call for a Phoenix placement!

Also, all of the current Arizona 2013 PHAPs are excited to hear if anyone gets placed here! Let us know if you get a call for a Phoenix placement!
Hi I'm placed in LA, if you know any associates there feel free to send them my way ! Also anything can help do you have any advice on living on the salary and pros and cons of the program throughout your experience ? Also were u required to have a vehicle for your placement?

Hi I'm placed in LA, if you know any associates there feel free to send them my way ! Also anything can help do you have any advice on living on the salary and pros and cons of the program throughout your experience ? Also were u required to have a vehicle for your placement?

After taxes and health insurance, I take home about $1700 a month in Phoenix.. in LA you should be making a little bit more. When I first got out here, I found a place to live on Craigslist until I could do some actual apartment hunting. I actually found another PHAP to live with, which works out great! LA should have quite a few PHAPs, so you can try to split an apartment, which saves a lot of money. I use the app Mint to help with budgeting, and I would recommend getting a credit card (I have Chase Freedom) so you can get cash back on purchases and put them towards flights back home. I hope this helps! Pros: I have a great supervisor, and she allows me lots of opportunities for career exploration and getting involved with other programs I'm interested in. I also feel like I have some great experience for applying to grad school, and then possibly getting back into the CDC after grad school. Cons: Public Health is not a fast paced job, and it is frustrating when you are on projects that are moving at a snail's pace. Also, you only have one year experience in each program.. so it's hard to get enough specialized experience unless you really bug your supervisors to let you have other opportunities that help further your career. This is a training program, so make sure to remind them of that, so you get the most of out of the program! :)

Oh, and I was told I needed a car. I can't speak for LA, but in Phoenix you def need one because everything is so spread out. Some programs want you to travel to different offices, and some programs have strict policies that federal employees cannot use state/local/city vehicles.

Did anyone reject their spot based on location and were then offered a new location?

Last edited:
All these excitement and anxiety from PHAP 2014!!!
I think there are more uncertainties this year due to the timeframe of this year's application.
I was given 4hours to decide and give my answer... In that 4hours, I took the biggest leap of faith.
I'm grateful to have been placed 2 hours away from home... Just the most expensive city, San Francisco.
It can get lonely being alone but who am I to complain if people are placed on a different state or timezone?!

I say, take it! Wherever you may go even if you have to go through ramen diet. Even if you have to live in your car and take a shower at the gym (my friend's suggestion to me to go move to SF).
It may be the best or worst decision you'll ever make. It may be the biggest opportunity for you but then other priorities will be pushed off the list.
The thing is-- it does not end there. Even after you accepted the position, complete your training in Atlanta, be in the job for months, something may happen and have to leave. And be back at the same position where you are now. But at least, you can say, you've worked for CDC just didn't work out.

Personally, it is CDC. My dream organization I hoped to work for one day, someday.
The day just came a lot sooner.
It is up to you and GOOD LUCK!!!

Feel free to ask me questions but my disclaimer is, what I share is MY point of view. Not the CDC's, not the PHAP's, not my fellow Associates'.

Reactions: 2 users
I sort of want to decline mine to see if I get into another location. I have an MPH and am one class away from a Masters of Science in Epi plus a lot of experience with Selective Agents and Toxins research so I figured they would put me at a useful location ie not a small city! I really don't think that they read through your personal statements and location preferences, I guess they just want to test your adaptability
I have similar sentiments, but for different reasons. I actually want to be placed in a smaller city INSTEAD of a larger one...and the whole suburbia location is making it difficult for me since I was planning to use my travel trailer to live in during my assignment! Very few RV parks are available in suburbia, and those that are seem to be more on the expensive side. *sighs*

In addition, I am most likely being placed with a TB or STD/HIV unit where they may want me to be using my own vehicle on a daily basis. I already have a lot of miles on my car and don't know if it would make it through two years of driving around EVERYDAY (or most days) without needing some kind of major repair. I would be fine IF I only used my car for driving back and forth to work everyday. Then my car purchase agreement and car insurance doesn't allow for using my car during work for work-related driving! Also my priority field is maternal and early childhood health as well as family health. I don't know how relevant my PHAP experience would be towards my future career if I was giving medication to TB patients or advising people of positive disease status or interviewing people on their sexual histories. These activities would not probably benefit me much beyond general public health experience and being able to say that I was a public heath associate with the CDC. *shrugs* If the location was okay, then I feel it would be okay to do it. Vice-versa if the assignment was relevant but the location wasn't the best, I would also do it. BUT BOTH makes me question whether it is worth it at all. :(

Last edited:
Hey, so last week I was offered a placement in Charleston, WV. It definitely wasn't one of my preferred locations but I accepted anyway. I've never been to West Virginia and don't know much about it.

Was anyone else placed there? Or does anyone have any info they might want to share about West Virginia?

Congrats to all of those who've been selected and good luck to those still waiting!

I have similar sentiments, but for different reasons. I actually want to be placed in a smaller city INSTEAD of a larger one...and the whole suburbia location is making it difficult for me since I was planning to use my travel trailer to live in during my assignment! Very few RV parks are available in suburbia, and those that are seem to be more on the expensive side. *sighs*

In addition, I am most likely being placed with a TB or STD/HIV unit where they want me to be using my own vehicle on a daily basis. I already have a lot of miles on my car and don't know if it would make it through two years of driving around EVERYDAY (or most days) without needing some kind of major repair. I would be fine IF I only used my car for driving back and forth to work everyday. Also my priority field is maternal and early childhood health as well as family health. I don't know how relevant my PHAP experience would be towards my future career if I was giving medication to TB patients or advising people of positive disease status or interviewing people on their sexual histories. These activities would not probably benefit me much beyond general public health experience and being able to say that I was a public heath associate with the CDC. *shrugs* If the location was okay, then I feel it would be okay to do it. Vice-versa if the assignment was relevant but the location wasn't the best, I would also do it. BUT BOTH makes me question whether it is worth it at all. :(

I feel SO disappointed and somewhat disenchanted with the CDC by this negative experience. After the first cut, somewhere along the way... it was decided that candidate preferential location would NOT be used this year AFTER it had been told to us on the CDC PHAP website that decisions of placement would be based on preferential location but was not guaranteed. I was told the PHAP program started with training BEFORE your assignment, but now it isn't until after we have been working at our location for a month or so. o_O Finally the wait list has been eliminated.... AND having a car is a requirement for many assignments and if you don't have a car or can't use your car for the assignment, you are completely eliminated if you don't take the assignment that requires a car!!!! WHAT!? So, so disappointed by this experience!
My thoughts and feelings EXACTLY. Everything from considering the true value, based on assignment or location possibly being disappointed by BOTH. Budgeting the salary in addition to using my personal vehicle for work which I do now(car will not make it to la), but how will I afford a new car and gas rates in LA plus above average rent costs. It is a whole lot to consider, and it's all I can think about lately. And although I know this struggle very well(wrapping up a year of public health experience at the state level currently) for some reason something is still leading me to LA to experience this program.

My thoughts and feelings EXACTLY. Everything from considering the true value, based on assignment or location possibly being disappointed by BOTH. Budgeting the salary in addition to using my personal vehicle for work which I do now(car will not make it to la), but how will I afford a new car and gas rates in LA plus above average rent costs. It is a whole lot to consider, and it's all I can think about lately. And although I know this struggle very well(wrapping up a year of public health experience at the state level currently) for some reason something is still leading me to LA to experience this program.

I echo everything you have said. I am also wrapping up a year working at the state level. My supervisor has even offered to extend my contract if I wanted to stay...but I still feel compelled to do this program. I am very grateful that I was given an offer, but am disappointed in what appears to be little consideration for geographical preferences. I was hoping I would be assigned to a larger city, but ended with a much smaller city than I expected. I couldn't agree more that there is so many things to consider.

I received an offer yesterday in Glenwood Springs, CO. Anyone here from that area?
Have family in Colorado throughout the state. Glenwood Springs is a little mountain town of less than 10,000 people and is very cold in winter with lows being in the teens. BUT you can warm up in the hot springs pool that has made the town famous!! Congratulations on an interesting location with beautiful scenery. Hope you like the outdoors as that is what people do there. There are lots of outdoor activities close by: soaking, swimming, fishing, hunting, skiing, hiking, camping, etc. Amtrak has a stop there which makes it very convenient for traveling to Denver if you don't want to drive over the Rocky Mtn pass. Otherwise it is a 2-1/2 + hour drive to Denver and the airport there (depending on weather, road conditions, and traffic). Most people from the area go east to Denver over the weekend or head west to Grand Junction (which is a pretty big city in its own right) which is an hour and 15 minutes away. Wonder what your assignment rotation will be there....

Have family in Colorado throughout the state. Glenwood Springs is a little mountain town of less than 10,000 people and is very cold in winter with lows being in the teens. BUT you can warm up in the hot springs pool that has made the town famous!! Congratulations on an interesting location with beautiful scenery. Hope you like the outdoors as that is what people do there. There are lots of outdoor activities close by: soaking, swimming, fishing, hunting, skiing, hiking, camping, etc. Amtrak has a stop there which makes it very convenient for traveling to Denver if you don't want to drive over the Rocky Mtn pass. Otherwise it is a 2-1/2 + hour drive to Denver and the airport there (depending on weather, road conditions, and traffic). Most people from the area go east to Denver over the weekend or head west to Grand Junction (which is a pretty big city in its own right) which is an hour and 15 minutes away. Wonder what your assignment rotation will be there....

Thank you for the helpful information! I'm not too worried about the cold winters, I've lived in MN my entire life so I'm use to sub-zero temps in the winters. It'll be interesting to see how their winters differ from MN though. I am anxious to hear what my assignments will be...I was told I would be working at the county level.

After taxes and health insurance, I take home about $1700 a month in Phoenix.. in LA you should be making a little bit more. When I first got out here, I found a place to live on Craigslist until I could do some actual apartment hunting. I actually found another PHAP to live with, which works out great! LA should have quite a few PHAPs, so you can try to split an apartment, which saves a lot of money. I use the app Mint to help with budgeting, and I would recommend getting a credit card (I have Chase Freedom) so you can get cash back on purchases and put them towards flights back home. I hope this helps! Pros: I have a great supervisor, and she allows me lots of opportunities for career exploration and getting involved with other programs I'm interested in. I also feel like I have some great experience for applying to grad school, and then possibly getting back into the CDC after grad school. Cons: Public Health is not a fast paced job, and it is frustrating when you are on projects that are moving at a snail's pace. Also, you only have one year experience in each program.. so it's hard to get enough specialized experience unless you really bug your supervisors to let you have other opportunities that help further your career. This is a training program, so make sure to remind them of that, so you get the most of out of the program! :)

Oh, and I was told I needed a car. I can't speak for LA, but in Phoenix you def need one because everything is so spread out. Some programs want you to travel to different offices, and some programs have strict policies that federal employees cannot use state/local/city vehicles.

All these excitement and anxiety from PHAP 2014!!!
I think there are more uncertainties this year due to the timeframe of this year's application.
I was given 4hours to decide and give my answer... In that 4hours, I took the biggest leap of faith.
I'm grateful to have been placed 2 hours away from home... Just the most expensive city, San Francisco.
It can get lonely being alone but who am I to complain if people are placed on a different state or timezone?!

I say, take it! Wherever you may go even if you have to go through ramen diet. Even if you have to live in your car and take a shower at the gym (my friend's suggestion to me to go move to SF).
It may be the best or worst decision you'll ever make. It may be the biggest opportunity for you but then other priorities will be pushed off the list.
The thing is-- it does not end there. Even after you accepted the position, complete your training in Atlanta, be in the job for months, something may happen and have to leave. And be back at the same position where you are now. But at least, you can say, you've worked for CDC just didn't work out.

Personally, it is CDC. My dream organization I hoped to work for one day, someday.
The day just came a lot sooner.
It is up to you and GOOD LUCK!!!

Feel free to ask me questions but my disclaimer is, what I share is MY point of view. Not the CDC's, not the PHAP's, not my fellow Associates'.

Personal opinion only:
I think both of these provide some good perspective on the position. So far the program has offered me opportunities beyond my assignment and great support even though I don't plan on continuing with CDC immediately after it ends.

Manage your money well, cook for yourself, limit extra spending, apply for pay as your earn/income based repayment for student loans, you can do it!

Hey, so last week I was offered a placement in Charleston, WV. It definitely wasn't one of my preferred locations but I accepted anyway. I've never been to West Virginia and don't know much about it.

Was anyone else placed there? Or does anyone have any info they might want to share about West Virginia?

Congrats to all of those who've been selected and good luck to those still waiting!

I messaged you last night! Im the 2013 PHAP here in Charleston! Feel free to reach out. I'm here to help

I received an offer yesterday in Glenwood Springs, CO. Anyone here from that area?

Hey there, I am a current 2013 PHAP placed in Denver and have visited Glenwood Springs a few times. Although it is a little far from Denver, Glenwood Springs is a really beautiful little town! There is another PHAP who is in Avon, which is closer to Glenwood Springs, so you'll have peers to help you out! Feel free to reach out if you decide to accept your offer.

Hey! I had WV as one of my preferred locations because I have family in WV about 40 mins from Charleston (in Huntington/Barboursville, WV). Charleston is an industrial mountain town for sure. The are beautiful mountains and lots of outdoor hiking and state parks. There is a young crowd there like any other city so I am sure you will find a good scene there. There is a good mall there! They also have an airport so it will be easy for you to fly home. The people there are very nice and welcoming. If you have any other questions let me know!

Thanks so much for al

thanks so much for your insight, it is truly appreciated! I'm now trying to budget the cost of a more Eco friendly car, maintenance, and mileage in LA. My understanding is that I will have to drive my car for my assignment not only to commute to and from work. I work in a field position now so I'm hopeful that's not what LA has in store for me. Reimbursement is not equal to expenditures here and gas is much lower In fl than LA, so I'll be researching that next!

Hello Kiwi1989!

Thanks for sharing all your info. I received the call Monday that I will placed in Phoenix. Though I have visited the city several times, I am only familiar with the ASU and Tempe area. I have no idea where I should live since I don't know where my office will be nor do I know other neighborhoods. As I get closer to the start date, I hope you can give me some insight about the city and the program. Thanks again and I look forward to meeting you and the other PHAP associates!

Long time forum-stalker, first time poster. I received a call today and was offered a position in Sterling, VA (which from what I gather is basically a DC suburb?). If anyone else is placed in that area, I would love to hear. Or if anyone is familiar with the area, any advice on where to live would be greatly appreciated. The DC area is not exactly where I was hoping to be placed, but if it means I'm technically working for the CDC then I'm happy.

I used to live outside DC in Vienna, VA. I have some extended family living in Sterling right now and its a great area- close enough to the city to go there to socialize if you want. I can ask my family for recommendations on finding an apartment that is affordable for individuals like ourselves who are likely just starting their professional careers.

Hello All,

Congrats to everyone receiving offers! I was contacted last Sunday with an offer for Houston, TX. and submitted my "acceptance" form to the general PHAP email by Monday, July 7th. The woman told me that HR would be contacting me within the next 1-2 weeks with more information. * Does anyone who received an offer know the general timeframe between when they submitted their acceptance form/background info and when HR contacted them?? Additionally, when HR contacts you is that the point when I will need to make a "firmer" acceptance? I am just trying to anticipate how much time I have to determine that I am confident that I want to pursue this opportunity.

Also, anyone familiar with the Houston, TX area? If so, I would love to learn about any helpful advice/resources that you have in regards to identifying an area to live and finding an apartment/roommates. Any information or advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

To HowardGirl TexasLady, Welcome to Oregon! I live near Portland- (which is like 30 min form Hillsboro). Hillsboro is a nice area, not crazy city, but not in middle of nowhere. It has recently boomed and is an up and coming area, but is not super expensive. You are close to stores and fun things to do quite easily. The weather is mild, summers are 73-85 most of the time and it usually does not snow much. You are also close (1-3 hours) of the beach, rivers, and mountains.

Thanks for the info!!!! That is a huge relief to know the weather is mostly mild, I hate heavy snow and that it is not super expensive. I also didn't know they had beaches so close! I am super excited now! Would you suggest I just stay in Hillsboro or commute from Portland? I am used to a 1 hr commute where I am in Maryland.

Hello All,

Congrats to everyone receiving offers! I was contacted last Sunday with an offer for Houston, TX. and submitted my "acceptance" form to the general PHAP email by Monday, July 7th. The woman told me that HR would be contacting me within the next 1-2 weeks with more information. * Does anyone who received an offer know the general timeframe between when they submitted their acceptance form/background info and when HR contacted them?? Additionally, when HR contacts you is that the point when I will need to make a "firmer" acceptance? I am just trying to anticipate how much time I have to determine that I am confident that I want to pursue this opportunity.

Also, anyone familiar with the Houston, TX area? If so, I would love to learn about any helpful advice/resources that you have in regards to identifying an area to live and finding an apartment/roommates. Any information or advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Hi @pursuingPublicHealth !!!!

I am from Houston! You will loooveee it (thats my biased opinion). Of course brace yourself for the Texas heat. Houston is a very large, very spread out city....and traffic is a PAIN. It is difficult to give you suggestions on where to live without knowing the location of your site. But I can definitely give some suggestions once you have that information. There are a number of colleges/universities in Houston that may have housing/roommate finder pages. The average cost of a one bedroom is around $1,000 but can be more or less depending on the area of town and if you are inside the loop or outside the loop. I think living on the PHAP salary there is definitely doable. But there is a lot to do and explore not just in Houston but surrounding cities as well. Great food, great weather! If you have any specific questions feel free to ask!