2014 PHAP application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi @pursuingPublicHealth !!!!

I am from Houston! You will loooveee it (thats my biased opinion). Of course brace yourself for the Texas heat. Houston is a very large, very spread out city....and traffic is a PAIN. It is difficult to give you suggestions on where to live without knowing the location of your site. But I can definitely give some suggestions once you have that information. There are a number of colleges/universities in Houston that may have housing/roommate finder pages. The average cost of a one bedroom is around $1,000 but can be more or less depending on the area of town and if you are inside the loop or outside the loop. I think living on the PHAP salary there is definitely doable. But there is a lot to do and explore not just in Houston but surrounding cities as well. Great food, great weather! If you have any specific questions feel free to ask!

Thank you for the information! I will be working at Harris County Public Health and Environmental Services. It is located at 2223 West Loop South Houston, TX 77027. I spoke with the current PHAP associate there and she said that it is a catch 22 with living - the further outside downtown you live the cheaper it can be, but the more you will have to deal with traffic. She said to avoid living near highway 45 and highway 10. When I got my call they did not tell me that a car was required- do you have any insight into how efficient the public transportation is and if the train/bus systems enables you to get to different areas fairly easily or if the systems are limited in getting to various areas within the city and right outside of it.

If you have any suggestions on affordable, safe areas to live that would have a younger crowd- please let me know. Any and all information is helpful! Thanks so much :)

Members don't see this ad.

HowardGirl TExas Lady: Good news! You will not probably not have an hour’s commute! The city of Portland is divided by a river, east and west side. Bordering Portland are several cities and suburbs (on east and west side) such as Milwaukie on the east side and Hillsboro on the west side. I would avoid downtown Portland located on the west side (near the bridges, river, OHSU) because though it is not a super large area, it is expensive, and traffic is bad. Some of the highways that you would take from Portland/near Portland areas to Hillsboro can become really slow during rush hours. Hillsboro is on west side, downtown Portland side, about 20-30 minutes from downtown via freeway if you have good traffic. I would advise to try and find a place in Hillsboro, maybe look on craigslist? Or if not Hillsboro another nearby area. Hillboro is a nice size city, its like the suburbs with costco and store really close. The area is up and growing because large companies like intel are located out there, so the area is newly developed.

When is snows in the portland area, everyone is super excited then the snow sticks (not very often) and schools close, many companies close, and the world shuts down because many people are not used to the snow, or used to driving in it. This year we had 1-4 inches of snow, but on most years almost not enough to cover the ground, doesnt stick, and is usually under 4 inches. If you like snow, go to mount hood for recreation snow sports, lots of fun!

Do you know where you will be working?

Hello Kiwi1989!

Thanks for sharing all your info. I received the call Monday that I will placed in Phoenix. Though I have visited the city several times, I am only familiar with the ASU and Tempe area. I have no idea where I should live since I don't know where my office will be nor do I know other neighborhoods. As I get closer to the start date, I hope you can give me some insight about the city and the program. Thanks again and I look forward to meeting you and the other PHAP associates!

Greetings from Phoenix! I'm yet another 2013 PHAP creeping on the site (hi Kiwi1989 and Kiwi1989's roomate!!!).

We are so happy to have you would definitely be up to to sharing our housing experiences and opinions. Do you know if you are at the state office or with a county health dept.?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anybody here who can give me some idea about Madison, Wisconsin? :)

I'm a bit jealous of your placement. Madison was one of my top preferences. I'm not from the area, but I have friends that live there. It's a pretty fun city. The University of Wisc is a big part of the city. Lots of young folks, very affordable housing. In Madison itself, you can probably get by without a car...but outside of Madison, you'll likely need one. The next big city near Madison would be Milwaukee which is 1.5 hours away. If you have more questions, just ask!

Hey!

I'm a fellow lurker also. I was also offered a position but it's in Albany, GA (not one of my first choices since I'm from Dallas, TX). Does anyone know anything about Albany?

My brit
Hey!

I'm a fellow lurker also. I was also offered a position but it's in Albany, GA (not one of my first choices since I'm from Dallas, TX). Does anyone know anything about Albany?
My brother lives in Albany, it's about 3.5 hours from Atlanta but Housing is dirt cheap, that will be the least of your concerns. It's pretty rural but there's a mall, a few restaurants among other things. It's a small college town but, much closer to fl and Alabama. About an 1.5 hr from Tallahassee(larger college town).

Hey!

Albany isn't bad at all from my opinion. My boyfriend is from there but doesn't want to move back but I'm from Atlanta and I feel like it can be a relief from the city depending on what you are into. Although I would probably never live there I enjoy visiting his family there. I love Albany mall. It has the amenities of many small towns. Nothing compared to larger cities in Texas however. I think it will be a good change a pace and it will give you an authentic Jawja feel that some fail to experience by simply visiting the Atlanta area.

I've been following the forum religiously for a while, but a first time poster. I was placed in Houston, TX, if anybody has any recommendations on neighborhoods or things to know about the city I would greatly appreciate. I'm originally from the DC/MD area so if any body was placed there and needs any advice, feel free to reach out.

@pursuingPublicHealth, @LauTay

Hi @spammelly - I just graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison! I support the information that @PinkLemonade said about Madison. It is definitely affordable since the downtown area is heavily made up of students so you can certainly find a house or apartment with the CDC salary. The population is mainly younger- college students tend to live more on campus (west of capitol square) and along State Street. The slightly older crowd tends to inhabit the capitol square area and the "east side". The bus system is reliable and takes you around and within the campus/ east-side capitol area so if you are located within the city of Madison you can certainly get by without a car. This city is very biker friendly as well so that is an option in the fall,spring and summer. If you are located at the Wisconsin department of health services that is right central downtown by the capitol so you could certainly live within walking distance. You may consider having a car to get out of the area or to go to the nearest costco, target, ECT. However, there is a grocery store within walking distance (expensive though) otherwise I got by 4-years with a bike and the bus system to do grocery shopping.

Madison is a great city to be in! I am going to miss it with my whole heart. Wisconsinites love to drink so there are a large variety of bars that have a wide range in regards to "the vibes" that they each have. Prepare for COLD COLD winters. Snow is nothing to people here, the city does a great job of clearing sidewalks, streets asap. I suggest buying a long heavy coat (you may think it is hideous, but you will come to love it). The fall and summers in Madison are great- located on an Isthmus between two large lakes there is plenty of recreational activities (bike paths, boating, waterski shows, music concerts on the water, lakeshore paths to hike). The fall and summer also have the farmers market that takes place each Saturday morning around Capitol square- fresh, CHEAP produce, CHEESE (another thing Wisconsinites love), baked goods, smoothies, ECT. It is one of my favorite parts about Madison. State street is home to numerous unique coffee shops, clothing boutiques and delicious restaurants. Even after 4 years, I still walk past places on State that I have not had the time to try out/step into. The Memorial Union terrace (on UW campus) serves numerous types of beer and delicious food that you can enjoy along Lake Mendota. You can also learn how to sail and/or doing any boating activities by becoming a member of the Wisconsin Union. You do not have to be a student or even alumni to join. During the summer, they have live bands play on the stage that you can enjoy.

As you can tell, I have way too much to say about Madison for this blog- I apologize to everyone. But feel free to reach out to me personally for any information. Lastly. you might want to make sure to bring atleast one red t-shirt... you will not want to be caught in any other color on a badger game day ;) Hope this helps!

I've been following the forum religiously for a while, but a first time poster. I was placed in Houston, TX, if anybody has any recommendations on neighborhoods or things to know about the city I would greatly appreciate. I'm originally from the DC/MD area so if any body was placed there and needs any advice, feel free to reach out.

@pursuingPublicHealth, @LauTay

@Globalhealth_PHAP Yay!! I am excited to hear that another PHAP candidate that will be in Houston is following this blog! It has been so helpful. I am from the Chicago area originally and just graduated from UW-Madison. I used to live in the DC area as a child though with extended family still residing there- in Alexandria and Sterling.

I am currently doing a lot of research about living situations, neighborhoods, ECT for Houston. If I find anything useful, I can pass it on to you as well. I have been trying to reach out to alumni from my University who live there to get an understanding for the good areas to live in relation to my host-site. I also have been in touch with PHAP associates who worked at my host-site to get their insight on the program, site and Houston in general. Feel free to contact me personally. Congrats on your offer!

Last edited:
Hey!

Hi @Raiallen - I know that Texas is a huge state, but I saw that you said you're from Dallas. I got placed in Houston. If you have any advice on this city, I would love to hear it. Also, if you have any friends or know of any young professionals currently working in Houston that you would be willing to connect me to, I would appreciate it. I am trying to identify safe, affordable areas to live that will enable me to be social with people around my age (20-30). Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Hi @Raiallen - I know that Texas is a huge state, but I saw that you said you're from Dallas. I got placed in Houston. If you have any advice on this city, I would love to hear it. Also, if you have any friends or know of any young professionals currently working in Houston that you would be willing to connect me to, I would appreciate it. I am trying to identify safe, affordable areas to live that will enable me to be social with people around my age (20-30). Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Hey! Once you find out your location please let me know. I have a lot of family and friends in Houston. The only thing I do not like about Houston is the traffic. It's HORRIBLE. A lot of wonderful places to eat and enjoy. You'll love it. Just prepare for the heat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Once you find out your location please let me know. I have a lot of family and friends in Houston. The only thing I do not like about Houston is the traffic. It's HORRIBLE. A lot of wonderful places to eat and enjoy. You'll love it. Just prepare for the heat.

Hi @Raiallen - I will be positioned at Harris County Public Health & Environmental Services (2223 West Loop South). I think it is located in the Galleria area? If you have any friends/family who could give me some insight on affordable and safe areas to live for young professionals, any and all advice would be appreciated! Thanks :)

I used to live outside DC in Vienna, VA. I have some extended family living in Sterling right now and its a great area- close enough to the city to go there to socialize if you want. I can ask my family for recommendations on finding an apartment that is affordable for individuals like ourselves who are likely just starting their professional careers.

Thank you, I'm relieved to hear that! I am going into the area with no idea what to expect really. I think the last and only time I was in the DC area I was 8 years old. Thank you, any information you can find/know about good places to live etc. would be awesome! Also I saw on the thread that you already know your host site, how did you find that out? I am anxiously awaiting all the details about host site, focus areas, etc.

Hey guys. I'm happy to see all of you that are moving forward in the process. I was selected for a position in Nashville. Has anyone else been selected for a Nashville assignment? I am Memphis but it would be good to have a PHAP fellow to room with. Good luck to all.

Hey guys. I'm happy to see all of you that are moving forward in the process. I was selected for a position in Nashville. Has anyone else been selected for a Nashville assignment? I am Memphis but it would be good to have a PHAP fellow to room with. Good luck to all.

I agree with the rooming thing! It would be awesome to live with a fellow PHAP. If anyone else who was placed in the Chicago area is interested in trying to live together, and split costs since it will be so expensive, just let me know!

Yes! Still looking for associates placed in the new York city area.....I will definitely need a roommate lol

Hello everyone!

I as well have been following this thread throughout my entire PHAP application process and have accepted a position in Marysville, OH! Definitely not on my list of preferences, BUT I am thankful for the opportunity with the CDC. I live in Atlanta, GA now so I am assuming that OH will be nothing like home. Is anyone familiar with the Marysville/Columbus area and can provide me with information on apartments and what it is like to reside in that area. I am pretty open to the change in scenery but would like a little background information on the town and what I am to expect. Also, my biggest reservation about the move is the winter time! I am from FL, raised in GA soooooo a heavy winter is not something I am totally use to. Any advice/suggestions at this point would be greatly appreciated!

Congratulations to all other 2014 PHAPers, can't wait to meet you all soon! :)

Yes! Still looking for associates placed in the new York city area.....I will definitely need a roommate lol

You're in Long Island right? I think rooming with another fellow would be ideal (aka necessary lol). Feel free to message me if you want to talk about it more!

Has anyone been placed in Alabama, or received their official offer yet?

Hey @tboy,

I just finished up my MPH in Nashville so if you have any questions feel free to ask. Being from Memphis you may not have any, but I was there for 2 years and may can help you out.

I just received an offer for Bakersfield, CA. I am quite nervous because I already thought I wasn't going to get it, but here I am in a deep dilemma because I was also offered a great job with the state of MN! Anyone know anything about Bakersfield?

This position may have been given due to someone declining. I didn't expect a position in CA.

Last edited:
You're in Long Island right? I think rooming with another fellow would be ideal (aka necessary lol). Feel free to message me if you want to talk about it more!

I was actually placed in Queens....not sure where that is relative to Long Island? I have been to New York twice...once for a conference so I barely left the hotel area and most recently I visited a friend for a few days that lived in Upper Manhattan

I just received an offer for Bakersfield, CA. I am quite nervous because I already thought I wasn't going to get it, but here I am in a deep dilemma because I was also offered a great job with the state of MN! Anyone know anything about Bakersfield?

This position may have been given due to someone declining. I didn't expect a position in CA.

Congrats! I don't know much about Bakersfield...I've only driven through the town a couple of times while traveling between LA and Central Valley so I can't speak much about the location.

I currently work for the state of mn and it's a great place to work. Which state agency would you be working for?

I was actually placed in Queens....not sure where that is relative to Long Island? I have been to New York twice...once for a conference so I barely left the hotel area and most recently I visited a friend for a few days that lived in Upper Manhattan

They border each other, but are pretty large. Depends on the part of queens. If you're out in Jamaica, you're right next to Long Island. Confusingly, if you're at NYCDHMH main office you're in Long Island City, which is the part of queens across the river from Manhattan. It takes about 30 minutes to go across queens by subway.

They border each other, but are pretty large. Depends on the part of queens. If you're out in Jamaica, you're right next to Long Island. Confusingly, if you're at NYCDHMH main office you're in Long Island City, which is the part of queens across the river from Manhattan. It takes about 30 minutes to go across queens by subway.

My paperwork said Long Island City, so I guess I'm in Queens too! Maybe once we get a better idea of where we will be, we can talk more about it.

Hello Kiwi1989!

Thanks for sharing all your info. I received the call Monday that I will placed in Phoenix. Though I have visited the city several times, I am only familiar with the ASU and Tempe area. I have no idea where I should live since I don't know where my office will be nor do I know other neighborhoods. As I get closer to the start date, I hope you can give me some insight about the city and the program. Thanks again and I look forward to meeting you and the other PHAP associates!

Congrats!!! :) Most likely you will be either at the Arizona Department of Health Services (http://www.azdhs.gov/) or at Maricopa County Health Department (http://www.maricopa.gov/publichealth/), which are both in the downtown area. I live in Tempe now and the commute is only 35 minutes. Many of the PHAPs in Phoenix live in the Midtown area, which is a short commute. Let me know if you have other questions: [email protected] I am excited to meet you!

My paperwork said Long Island City, so I guess I'm in Queens too! Maybe once we get a better idea of where we will be, we can talk more about it.

So the person who contacted me said I was placed at NYCDHMH in Queens.....I googled it and I see what you are saying @jsquared91 about it being located across the river from Manhattan so I am guessing I am at that particular office but not completely sure...It is interesting though @bmjeff that your paperwork said Long Island City but maybe we are in the same area after all?! I really wish I knew when we would learn more information about our sites.

Hello from a long time follower :)

Congrats to all who have received an offer! I am originally from Florida and have been placed in Columbia, South Carolina. Anybody have some insight on this city?

Hello from a long time follower :)

Congrats to all who have received an offer! I am originally from Florida and have been placed in Columbia, South Carolina. Anybody have some insight on this city?

I currently live in Charleston, SC (About 2 hours from Columbia). Columbia is a good size city, not as nice as Charleston, however there are lots of young people there because of USC. You can find affordable housing there but look in person to make sure it is a safe area to live in. The weather is similar to FL so it will be an easy adjustment for you I'm sure.

Has anyone else been placed in New Orleans? I am still waiting to hear for next steps from HR.

Last edited:
Has anyone received their Official Offer from HR?

Has anyone declined the offer but asked to be put on a "waitlist' or asked to be considered for other sites that others may have turned down. There seems to be enough disgruntlement that there should be some "juggling" going on. How about the right person to contact? - The guy who notified me just said he didn't make the decision and can't help. He was nice about it, but you'd think there's somebody maintaining a list of open or rejected sites that he/she woudl like to fill with a candidate that was accepted.

Hi I'm patiently waiting for another LA offer to post. I'll definitely need a roommate and insight on the area. I haven't been able to speak with any current associates so I'm really hoping there are others placed in LA for upcoming term and that they post soon

Hi I have been placed in Atlanta GA :) the lady told me I will be working downtown any suggestion where I should be looking for safe cheep neighborhood ..And is there is anyone else placed in Atlanta ? Originally from DC area any questions about DC,VA,MD happy to hep.

Hi I have been placed in Atlanta GA :) the lady told me I will be working downtown any suggestion where I should be looking for safe cheep neighborhood ..And is there is anyone else placed in Atlanta ? Originally from DC area any questions about DC,VA,MD happy to hep.
Lucky you!!! Atl was my first/only pick, I'm from there but have lived in miami for the past two years. Housing is extremely affordable in the Atlanta area not so much downtown. There are tons of safe areas to choose from. If you see something you like feel free to message me direct and I can tell you what kind of area it is and proximity to downtown. I'd think you're placed at the dept of public health if you're downtown. Of course there's no telling for sure

So the person who contacted me said I was placed at NYCDHMH in Queens.....I googled it and I see what you are saying @jsquared91 about it being located across the river from Manhattan so I am guessing I am at that particular office but not completely sure...It is interesting though @bmjeff that your paperwork said Long Island City but maybe we are in the same area after all?! I really wish I knew when we would learn more information about our sites.

Hey! I was also placed in Long Island City and I'm not quite sure where the exact placement would be. I did a google search a few days ago and saw that there was a new placement location in Nassau County, so I assumed that that's what my placement would be. Maybe we all have that same placement?

For those who have accepted, I'd love to know what areas you're looking into for housing. I'm definitely looking for a roommate. Also, did you receive an e-mail stating that you'd need a car? I received that after I accepted my placement and was kind of thrown off by it. I was hoping I wouldn't have to have a car.

I wish I was placed in Atlanta! I am also from the DC/MD area and I was in New Orleans for college for 4 years so feel free to PM me if anyone has any questions about any of these areas! I wanted to be placed south but I was open to any area when I was applying. I was placed in Stow, OH so if anyone else is placed somewhere nearby, let me know! And congrats to everyone so far and those who made it all the way to this point!

I'm from the Atlanta Metro area (and going up to DC), if you're working downtown and don't want to deal with an obnoxious drive I'd suggest starting with looking around the campuses of Georgia Tech and Emory for affordable housing.

Hi all!
I have recently been offered a PHAP position in Anchorage, Alaska. I am currently residing in Arizona (yes, I will be experiencing a slight climate shock upon arrival!). I was hoping to reach out to anyone that has heard back and been placed in Anchorage, as well.

Anyone have any insight on (safe/affordable) housing? Good places to search for roommates in the Anchorage area?
Thank you!

Did anybody get contacted for any offers recently? I am getting the feeling that I must not be getting an offer and it has been over the 10 day period that was previously suggested. :( Does anyone know if they are done filling positions? Congratulations to all that have been placed.

Did anybody get contacted for any offers recently? I am getting the feeling that I must not be getting an offer and it has been over the 10 day period that was previously suggested. :( Does anyone know if they are done filling positions? Congratulations to all that have been placed.
I was actually just contacted this morning - do not lose hope just yet! During my interview in June they had notified me that they would be notifying individuals mid-July through then end of July.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you, I'm relieved to hear that! I am going into the area with no idea what to expect really. I think the last and only time I was in the DC area I was 8 years old. Thank you, any information you can find/know about good places to live etc. would be awesome! Also I saw on the thread that you already know your host site, how did you find that out? I am anxiously awaiting all the details about host site, focus areas, etc.

I asked the individual that I spoke with who initially informed me of my offer since it was not included in the email. I would think they would be able to tell you your the host-site if you contact him/her to ask.

Hey! I was also placed in Long Island City and I'm not quite sure where the exact placement would be. I did a google search a few days ago and saw that there was a new placement location in Nassau County, so I assumed that that's what my placement would be. Maybe we all have that same placement?

For those who have accepted, I'd love to know what areas you're looking into for housing. I'm definitely looking for a roommate. Also, did you receive an e-mail stating that you'd need a car? I received that after I accepted my placement and was kind of thrown off by it. I was hoping I wouldn't have to have a car.

I think that we're more likely to be at the same placement if we both got placed in Long Island City specifically, but we never know! I've been looking at apartments and I'd definitely feel better about the placement with a roommate. I didn't receive anything saying that I would need a car though.

Hello All,

I've been following the forum during this application process too. I was recently offered a placement in Auburn, California which is considered greater Sacramento. Can anyone offer advice about moving, tips, or the area in general? I've never been to Cali before. Thanks!

I'm from the Atlanta Metro area (and going up to DC), if you're working downtown and don't want to deal with an obnoxious drive I'd suggest starting with looking around the campuses of Georgia Tech and Emory for affordable housing.
Thank you if you have any questions about DC let me know see you there :)

Lucky you!!! Atl was my first/only pick, I'm from there but have lived in miami for the past two years. Housing is extremely affordable in the Atlanta area not so much downtown. There are tons of safe areas to choose from. If you see something you like feel free to message me direct and I can tell you what kind of area it is and proximity to downtown. I'd think you're placed at the dept of public health if you're downtown. Of course there's no telling for sure
Sorry about that :( I was open to be placed anywhere in the east coast Atlanta is great and I am happy thank you for your suggestion and good luck see you soon :)

Congrats! I don't know much about Bakersfield...I've only driven through the town a couple of times while traveling between LA and Central Valley so I can't speak much about the location.

I currently work for the state of mn and it's a great place to work. Which state agency would you be working for?

I recently received a position with DEED, but today I decided that I needed to get my foot into the public health world, so I have accepted Bakersfield, CA. :)

I have friends in Atlanta who live in Post Lindbergh. It's a great location right next to MARTA, which you can take to work. I would also suggest the North Druid Hills area (Near Emory). North Druid Hills is an in town neighborhood that is more affordable than the popular Virginia Highlands and Buckhead. However, you have easy access to the Highlands and Buckhead, where lots of young professionals live, shop and go out at night. Inman Park and Candler Park have been "up and coming area" for a long time. I have a friend who lives there and loves it but just make sure you check it out in advance and that it is a safe area. Those neighborhoods are much closer to downtown. If you want to live more in the suburbs Sandy Springs or Perimeter would be good choices. They are near MARTA stops have good shopping and eating. Those suburbs probably have the most young professionals and would be more affordable than living in-town. In case you aren't familiar if you live inside 285 perimeter highway you actually live in Atlanta. Outside of 285 is the suburbs. You have plenty of places to choose from! Check out Sloan Square apartments maybe to start!

I'm also from Atlanta and would have loved to have been placed there. Enjoy the city!

Reactions: 1 users
Another follower...

I was just offered a position in New Orleans! I am not sure if I'll accept or not at this point because my other option is to do the Peace Corps in Asia and that's been a dream of mine for quite some time- two totally different worlds and both are great opportunities. I'm really torn about what to do.

Any thoughts/advice?!