You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Harvard Medical School Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
II yesterday - complete early Sep. Lizzym 72. what on earth?!! ah
Congratulations! Do you have really awesome EC's?
Indiana UniversityWhat's IU
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
HMS goes until late Jan and they only book one month in advance, so don't make conclusions yetHey guys, would it be safe to assume at this point that I won't get an interview if I was complete around mid-July?
FYI if you applied HST and Pathways, they have both schools review your application before offering you an II. That way they can give you back-to-back interview days if possible. So if you applied to both, you won't hear back until much later than the just-Pathways peopleHey guys, would it be safe to assume at this point that I won't get an interview if I was complete around mid-July?
Everyone, they ask for it when you first arrive for your interview. They don't reference it until after you are accepted, however.Does everyone have to fill out the course sheet or only those who applied to HST?
Also they have extra copies they hand out if you forget to bring yours, so it's not the end of the world if you forget to bring it.
FYI if you applied HST and Pathways, they have both schools review your application before offering you an II. That way they can give you back-to-back interview days if possible. So if you applied to both, you won't hear back until much later than the just-Pathways people
Good to know! btw, congrats on all the IIs and the acceptance!
II just now!! What is life. ecstatic.
Complete 8/24
3.6/35
Dates offered: first two weeks in December
Complete 8/24
3.6/35
Dates offered: first two weeks in December
II just now!! What is life. ecstatic.
Complete 8/24
3.6/35
Dates offered: first two weeks in December
II just now!! What is life. ecstatic.
Complete 8/24
3.6/35
Dates offered: first two weeks in December
Congrats!! Via email or portal update?
II this morning! Submitted 9/02, 3.6/34
p.s. Never thought I'd be a part of the group of SDN'ers who get to write short 'II' posts, haha...
p.s. Never thought I'd be a part of the group of SDN'ers who get to write short 'II' posts, haha...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats!!II this morning! Submitted 9/02, 3.6/34
p.s. Never thought I'd be a part of the group of SDN'ers who get to write short 'II' posts, haha...
II this morning! Submitted 9/02, 3.6/34
p.s. Never thought I'd be a part of the group of SDN'ers who get to write short 'II' posts, haha...
that's amazing. congrats!!! unfortunately submitted later than you and still waiting 🙁
Congrats!!
Thanks! I hope you all get good news soon, too!that's amazing. congrats!!! unfortunately submitted later than you and still waiting 🙁
And if you submitted late like me (unlike my harvard app, >70% of my other apps were submitted in Oct, -_-) we're in it for the long haul!
How many students does Harvard admit of the 800 or so it interviews? How heavily do you guys think the interview is weighted? When I interviewed, the interview experiences between applicants seemed to differ drastically. Mine were very relaxed and warm. They were not really Q/A guided, very conversational. Other folks said the total opposite (very structured, clearly defined questions, often tricky questions, interviewer did not attempt to relate to them, or impersonal). I wonder how much the interview counts towards the admissions decision given that it is so nonuniform-- I think most applicants would shine with the interview format I had, but not everyone had that opportunity. Curious to hear SDN thoughts....
E-mail!Congrats!! Via email or portal update?
Same! Maybe we will interview together and get to meet! lolthat's amazing. congrats!!! unfortunately submitted later than you and still waiting 🙁
I don't think they release any decision until March.Dose Harvard send out pre-interview rejections or just silent treatment? If so, is it via email or portal?
Heard this at a conference today:
"Did you go to school in Boston?"
"Cambridge, actually."
To be fair, I'd say it too if I had the opportunity.
I live in Boston and frequently cross paths with people that say this. If you want to make a dig at them, the appropriate response would be,
"Oh, so you go to Lesley."
521 MCAT, 3.99gpa, submitted 7/13. Pretty sure I've been silently rejected, since I submitted so early. oh well. Can anyone confirm? Has anyone gotten an actual rejection yet? Are they silent rejections? huge congrats to all of you with IIs
I don't think they release any decision until March.
It's all good bruh 😉Oh goodness. I'm very sorry. thanks @mashinator
II. MCAT 518 GPA3.96. They said that I should pick an interview date within 6 days, or my files would be put on hold and will only be considered for future dates as space is available. For me, only December days are available. Is it ok to send them an email to reschedule my interview in a later date? Do you think it will affect their decisions upon my application?
But Brah... when were you complete? SDN 101.II. MCAT 518 GPA3.96. They said that I should pick an interview date within 6 days, or my files would be put on hold and will only be considered for future dates as space is available. For me, only December days are available. Is it ok to send them an email to reschedule my interview in a later date? Do you think it will affect their decisions upon my application?
Haha. Congrats!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II this morning! Usually my email is on push to my phone but I was on a plane. After touching down, I was innocently checking my email for the usual junk and this gem showed up across my screen. I can't even believe it. I thought this was a long shot, especially given how late I submitted.
Complete early october, LizzyM 77
Complete early october, LizzyM 77
I completed the secondary right before the deadline.But Brah... when were you complete? SDN 101.
Haha. Congrats!
HST or just pathway?I completed the secondary right before the deadline.
Just pathwayHST or just pathway?
"Just pathway" -_-HST or just pathway?
Anyone know if Harvard notifies you if you're put on pre-interview hold?
No, you just realize they're out of interview slots since they wrap up everything by end of January. Then you wait for the rejectionAnyone know if Harvard notifies you if you're put on pre-interview hold?
No, you just realize they're out of interview slots since they wrap up everything by end of January. Then you wait for the rejection
^ how thoughtful of them :/
OMG HALP. So, they require one year of math.... 1 sem of calc, 1 of stats. They take AP credit for calc but not stats....I APed out of stats and took Calc 2 and 3 and DE so thats a total of 4 sem of calc basically....I AM PANICKING lol I'm going to contact admissions but I wanted to see if any of you had run into this or not and had an explanation
Tell me about it... I took Calc 2 and 3 as well, and they used to be the only medical school to require Calc 2, but they changed that requirement. I called them and they said you MUST have statistics before matriculating. I wonder if that is what is keeping me from getting an interview LOL.OMG HALP. So, they require one year of math.... 1 sem of calc, 1 of stats. They take AP credit for calc but not stats....I APed out of stats and took Calc 2 and 3 and DE so thats a total of 4 sem of calc basically....I AM PANICKING lol I'm going to contact admissions but I wanted to see if any of you had run into this or not and had an explanation
Well, read the requirements on the admissions page...they said they would be flexible. I took analytical chemistry which is like gen chem with a BUNCH of stats. We did a lot of statistical analysis so I'm going to see if that will suffice. Crossing my fingers!Tell me about it... I took Calc 2 and 3 as well, and they used to be the only medical school to require Calc 2, but they changed that requirement. I called them and they said you MUST have statistics before matriculating. I wonder if that is what is keeping me from getting an interview LOL.
Haha. What I am telling you is that I called the admissions office with the same concerns with my own background in statistics from multiple bio and chem classes and they told me I had to take an actual stats course.... If they tell you otherwise, then I am happy for you! 🙂Well, read the requirements on the admissions page...they said they would be flexible. I took analytical chemistry which is like gen chem with a BUNCH of stats. We did a lot of statistical analysis so I'm going to see if that will suffice. Crossing my fingers!
MD/PhD & Pathways II on 11/10 (didn't apply HST)! Complete 7/15. Interviewing in late November.
Qoi??Will be withdrawing my II due to receiving an acceptance to my top choice state school last night. Good luck to anyone still waiting!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Tell me about it... I took Calc 2 and 3 as well, and they used to be the only medical school to require Calc 2, but they changed that requirement. I called them and they said you MUST have statistics before matriculating. I wonder if that is what is keeping me from getting an interview LOL.
I don't think they care about the requirements when they offer you interviews. As long as you complete these courses BEFORE matriculation, it'll be fine.
For example, I had only done 1 semester of calculus (multivariable) and 1 semester of stat. I didn't even include the second semester of calc in my "future courses" on the AMCAS (because I didn't realize that there are some med schools that require more than 1 calc class...). Yet, I was still offered an interview for both their Pathways and their HST program.
If admitted in March, I plan to take the second semester of calc over the summer!
Will be withdrawing my Pathways II due to receiving an acceptance to my top choice state school last night. Harvard is among the best, but I really want to stay close to home. Good luck to anyone still waiting!
Good on you -- that's a tough decision to make, but it's good when you know what is and isn't right for yourself.
If you're talking about for this year, they no longer require a second semester of calc, and they REQUIRE 1 semester of calc and 1 semester of stats... so your information isn't helpful. No offense. You took the required coursework... lolI don't think they care about the requirements when they offer you interviews. As long as you complete these courses BEFORE matriculation, it'll be fine.
For example, I had only done 1 semester of calculus (multivariable) and 1 semester of stat. I didn't even include the second semester of calc in my "future courses" on the AMCAS (because I didn't realize that there are some med schools that require more than 1 calc class...). Yet, I was still offered an interview for both their Pathways and their HST program.
If admitted in March, I plan to take the second semester of calc over the summer!
They don't reject until March, so we will never know. :/Anyone completed back in July still waiting to hear back? I have heard nothing from them. No Reject, No II, Nada.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 351
- Views
- 80K