2015-2016 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Cartman.jpg
 
So, sorry to detract from the memetrain, but do we have any idea as to what times the decision waves are going to go out? I know the order is projected to be MSTP --> Pathways --> HST, but roughly what time have MSTP decisions gone out in the past?
 
So, sorry to detract from the memetrain, but do we have any idea as to what times the decision waves are going to go out? I know the order is projected to be MSTP --> Pathways --> HST, but roughly what time have MSTP decisions gone out in the past?

Well, there's our first hitch. Avgn projects the order as MSTP (morning), then HST (~noon), then Pathways (afternoon). I also don't think there was even a consensus on whether all categories get calls. I've read about HMS acceptances getting calls on SDN, but I believe all were MSTP candidates. Coincidence? Who knows...

Does anyone have a friend of a friend of a friend who can enlighten us? : p
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, there's our first hitch. Avgn projects the order as MSTP (morning), then HST (~noon), then Pathways (afternoon). I also don't think there was even a consensus on whether all categories get calls. I've read about HMS acceptances getting calls on SDN, but I believe all were MSTP candidates. Coincidence? Who knows...

Does anyone have a friend of a friend of a friend who can enlighten us? : p
MSTP gets calls? Was not aware of that... meeeeep
 
So, sorry to detract from the memetrain, but do we have any idea as to what times the decision waves are going to go out? I know the order is projected to be MSTP --> Pathways --> HST, but roughly what time have MSTP decisions gone out in the past?
Just check previous years' threads. It's like 10 am MSTP, 12-1 pm HST, 3:30 pm MD, IIRC. I don't think anyone gets phone calls but just read the previous threads for more detail. They're pretty consistent.
 
Just check previous years' threads. It's like 10 am MSTP, 12-1 pm HST, 3:30 pm MD, IIRC. I don't think anyone gets phone calls but just read the previous threads for more detail. They're pretty consistent.

I believe I remember from my interview day that MD gets emails, no call.

Do we know if the email will say the decision? Or will it just say that the decision is on the portal?

I'm Pathways, and I got my acceptance email sometime around 1 or 1:30 last year. It said that I was accepted. The rest is history.

And now for some fun...

The email actually contains a link near the bottom to confirm that you are still interested in HMS. I forget what the exact rules were, but you had something like 20 or 30 minutes from the time the email was sent to click on the link and tell HMS not to give your spot away. You can always choose to decline your position later (a few lost souls always do), but you have a pretty short window to confirm your interest before they assume that you're withdrawing and give your spot to someone on the waiting list.

I believe that it's similar for the MSTP students - they let the phone ring three times before they hang up. If you were really interested in Harvard you would have picked up sooner.

Like shooting fish in a barrel. Enjoy the next week!
 
I'm Pathways, and I got my acceptance email sometime around 1 or 1:30 last year. It said that I was accepted. The rest is history.

And now for some fun...

The email actually contains a link near the bottom to confirm that you are still interested in HMS. I forget what the exact rules were, but you had something like 20 or 30 minutes from the time the email was sent to click on the link and tell HMS not to give your spot away. You can always choose to decline your position later (a few lost souls always do), but you have a pretty short window to confirm your interest before they assume that you're withdrawing and give your spot to someone on the waiting list.

I believe that it's similar for the MSTP students - they let the phone ring three times before they hang up. If you were really interested in Harvard you would have picked up sooner.

Like shooting fish in a barrel. Enjoy the next week!
:troll:
 
I'm Pathways, and I got my acceptance email sometime around 1 or 1:30 last year. It said that I was accepted. The rest is history.

And now for some fun...

The email actually contains a link near the bottom to confirm that you are still interested in HMS. I forget what the exact rules were, but you had something like 20 or 30 minutes from the time the email was sent to click on the link and tell HMS not to give your spot away. You can always choose to decline your position later (a few lost souls always do), but you have a pretty short window to confirm your interest before they assume that you're withdrawing and give your spot to someone on the waiting list.

I believe that it's similar for the MSTP students - they let the phone ring three times before they hang up. If you were really interested in Harvard you would have picked up sooner.

Like shooting fish in a barrel. Enjoy the next week!

I actually kind of wish that were true; then I might have a chance when those spots are lost haha.
 
I'm Pathways, and I got my acceptance email sometime around 1 or 1:30 last year. It said that I was accepted. The rest is history.

And now for some fun...

The email actually contains a link near the bottom to confirm that you are still interested in HMS. I forget what the exact rules were, but you had something like 20 or 30 minutes from the time the email was sent to click on the link and tell HMS not to give your spot away. You can always choose to decline your position later (a few lost souls always do), but you have a pretty short window to confirm your interest before they assume that you're withdrawing and give your spot to someone on the waiting list.

I believe that it's similar for the MSTP students - they let the phone ring three times before they hang up. If you were really interested in Harvard you would have picked up sooner.

Like shooting fish in a barrel. Enjoy the next week!
Lol... I wonder how many people had a STEMI when they first read this.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm MSTP so I'll let ya guys know as I hear... though I don't know if I will hear early since I'm likely rejected 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As great as it would be to finally hear a decision tomorrow to be done, the previous leap year cycle didn't have decisions out on February 29th :OOO (didn't see specific day etc)
 
I just called and they said "sometime this week"... dunno if that is the answer I would've gotten if it was today. I'm hedging my bets that it won't be today.
 
I just called and they said "sometime this week"... dunno if that is the answer I would've gotten if it was today. I'm hedging my bets that it won't be today.
Eh, I don't know. I feel like even if it was today they wouldn't outright say that to avoid all of us applicants flooding them with calls about when today decisions will come out. But in the end who really knows haha, just have to do our best to be patient.
 
Perhaps they are just delayed a bit? Maybe all are going out this afternoon?
Not likely. They're very consistent with the time and order they send out emails, even if the exact date oscillates a but every year. MSTP and HST should have been out or ongoing right now, followed by MD only at 1:30ish (based on 2015 thread).

Onto tomorrow it is! I don't think my friend cares enough to go find out more information for me and I don't wanna keep bugging her lol sorry y'all
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
GUYS!! okay, so just casually reading past threads, and I found this from 2013-2014: "Generally, the order has been MSTP, HST, NP with combo-applicants hearing back slightly later than each individual category. Each batch had a slight staggering (a few minutes). Last year, for NP, acceptances came a little before 3:30PM, wait lists came later in the afternoon around 5:30PM and rejections came the next morning. However, last year, MSTP notifications started around 12:30PM so if notifications do indeed go out today, it seems we'll be a bit "behind" last year's schedule."

THERE IS STILL HOPE!!!!
 
GUYS!! okay, so just casually reading past threads, and I found this from 2013-2014: "Generally, the order has been MSTP, HST, NP with combo-applicants hearing back slightly later than each individual category. Each batch had a slight staggering (a few minutes). Last year, for NP, acceptances came a little before 3:30PM, wait lists came later in the afternoon around 5:30PM and rejections came the next morning. However, last year, MSTP notifications started around 12:30PM so if notifications do indeed go out today, it seems we'll be a bit "behind" last year's schedule."

THERE IS STILL HOPE!!!!
Nope, not today. Didn't make sense for it to be 2/29 anyway. All we had was one rumor I tried to confirm but could not so